• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NFL Draft.

Mongidig

Incel
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Lets talk NFL draft.

My team is the Denver Broncos. We have the 9 pick. I am hoping we move up and get a QB. Justin Fields would be nice but Trey Lance would be fun. I think SF is taking fields and the Mac Jones thing is a smokescreen. Denver is in the best position of all the QB needy teams picking at 9. NE at 15, Washington at 19 and Chicago at 20 are the others.

We shall see.

It’s always dangerous taking the 3rd or 4th QB drafted in the first round. It’s usually either a big steal or a bust

OMG thank you for talking draft. I have no clue what SF is thinking giving up so much to move to 3, but I think it's Jones or Lance, not Fields. And either way, better for Denver to stay put and let the draft come to it IMO.

I don't follow college football or the NFL draft closely, but I am hearing the 1st 4 draft picks this year are almost certainly going to be all QB's?

4 top picks? Probably meaning all 4 will be starters next year? That's going to make things interesting next year.

Well with the Bears being a dumpster fire this season, I'm not looking forward to this draft because I know my team's GM is gonna screw it up like he always does...

It’s always dangerous taking the 3rd or 4th QB drafted in the first round. It’s usually either a big steal or a bust

The 3rd or 4th QB could be a teams top rated QB. Trevor Lawrence is a slam dunk to go number one. Beyond that we just don't really know what the decision makers are thinking. We are getting our buzz from the media world. The media is getting it's info from fewer people than normal due to Covid restrictions. Drafting a QB is an imperfect science. One thing that is historically true is that if you don't get your QB early in the first the odds go way down that he will turn out to be a steal. Also, except for a few teams like the Bengals, Jets and Detroit you never know when you will be drafting this high again. Getting a QB on his rookie deal is a huge plus as well. Bottom line is if you want a chance at a great QB you have go big in either a trade or move up for your guy.

A lot depends on where the QB goes. It's very possible that if the Jets took Josh Allen he would have been ruined. I'm worried that if the Broncos get a Tre Lance that our old school offensive coordinator Pat Shurmer will ruin him.

OMG thank you for talking draft. I have no clue what SF is thinking giving up so much to move to 3, but I think it's Jones or Lance, not Fields. And either way, better for Denver to stay put and let the draft come to it IMO.

the perfect scenario would be for the Broncos to stay at nine and still land the QB they love. However, if they truly love a QB they will certainly not chance it and move up. I think Denver either moves up for a QB or moves down for more draft capital. Picks 10-15 are still gonna have solid players left due to 5 QBs probably going in the top ten.

SF either loves two QB's or has some intel as to who the Jets are gonna pick. They are getting some key injured players back and should be very competitive this year. It seems a QB who is pro ready would make sense. That would be Jones or Fields. I'm assuming Wilson goes to the Jets but who knows. Shanahan may have visions of what he could turn Tre Lance into.

the perfect scenario would be for the Broncos to stay at nine and still land the QB they love. However, if they truly love a QB they will certainly not chance it and move up. I think Denver either moves up for a QB or moves down for more draft capital. Picks 10-15 are still gonna have solid players left due to 5 QBs probably going in the top ten.

SF either loves two QB's or has some intel as to who the Jets are gonna pick. They are getting some key injured players back and should be very competitive this year. It seems a QB who is pro ready would make sense. That would be Jones or Fields. I'm assuming Wilson goes to the Jets but who knows. Shanahan may have visions of what he could turn Tre Lance into.
Pick 9 this year is like a pick 4 in another year thanks to the QB situation, and there will be some really good players on the board . And if a QB falls, it's all throwing darts anyway and just as likely that QB is the one who will be great.

Pick 9 this year is like a pick 4 in another year thanks to the QB situation, and there will be some really good players on the board . And if a QB falls, it's all throwing darts anyway and just as likely that QB is the one who will be great.

I'd love Denver to move down(Assuming they don't go QB) and get some extra draft capital. Then I'd like them to use the extra picks to move up and get a Najee Harris in the first or Javante Williams early second. This assumes Harris falls to the late first. Miami might take him at 18. Assuming they don't move too far down they could still get a quality pick in the first.

I'd love Denver to move down(Assuming they don't go QB) and get some extra draft capital. Then I'd like them to use the extra picks to move up and get a Najee Harris in the first or Javante Williams early second. Assuming they don't move too far down they could still get a quality pick in the first.
Holy hell, I respect how you zig when the world zags. But I'm kind of with the world here. Why waste draft picks on a RB? They are 100% fungible. You literally just released a good one, because they have no value whatsoever. I mean, I hate the Broncos so I'd love them to burn their pick on no one good, but strategically, I'd think you stay at 9 and take someone at a position that matters.

Holy hell, I respect how you zig when the world zags. But I'm kind of with the world here. Why waste draft picks on a RB? They are 100% fungible. You literally just released a good one, because they have no value whatsoever. I mean, I hate the Broncos so I'd love them to burn their pick on no one good, but strategically, I'd think you stay at 9 and take someone at a position that matters.

These two guy's would be huge upgrades over Lindsay. They can both pass protect, catch and play three downs. They are both great goal line backs as well and both are pro ready. This is exactly what the Broncos need especially with Melvin Gordan almost assured to miss some time. If Harris makes it past pick 30 I wouldn't mind the Broncos moving up. I don't know if that's wise or not but that's the fan in me. If it gets close to our pick in round two and Williams is still available we may make sure we get him.

I get what you are saying about spending too much draft capital on RB's but it's not like we are drafting one in the top half of the first round.

These two guy's would be huge upgrades over Lindsay. They can both pass protect, catch and play three downs. They are both great goal line backs as well and both are pro ready. This is exactly what the Broncos need especially with Melvin Gordan almost assured to miss some time. If Harris makes it past pick 30 I wouldn't mind the Broncos moving up. I don't know if that's wise or not but that's the fan in me. If it gets close to our pick in round two and Williams is still available we may make sure we get him.

I get what you are saying about spending too much draft capital on RB's but it's not like we are drafting one in the top half of the first round.

Lindsey is no longer with the Broncos.

JETS, JETS, JETS

That's all I got. I guess we take the BYU QB. Some good FA signings. Need another huge OL along with Becton to protect their new QB. Be nice to see Mosley play, he got vaccinated.

Lindsey is no longer with the Broncos.

I know! I'm saying one of these two guy's would be a huge upgrade to what we had in Lindsay.

JETS, JETS, JETS

That's all I got. I guess we take the BYU QB. Some good FA signings. Need another huge OL along with Becton to protect their new QB. Be nice to see Mosley play, he got vaccinated.

The byu qb isnt as good as Sam Darnold when he came out.

They should have kept Darnold, traded down for a te or wr. They would be stacked.

The byu qb isnt as good as Sam Darnold when he came out.

They should have kept Darnold, traded down for a te or wr. They would be stacked.
You could be right. Sam had some flashes but could never sustain anything. Poor cast around him. A change of scenery probably best. Based on what SF gave up they could have got a haul. Can't be much worse than last year. LOL!

Lets talk NFL draft.

My team is the Denver Broncos. We have the 9 pick. I am hoping we move up and get a QB. Justin Fields would be nice but Trey Lance would be fun. I think SF is taking fields and the Mac Jones thing is a smokescreen. Denver is in the best position of all the QB needy teams picking at 9. NE at 15, Washington at 19 and Chicago at 20 are the others. We shall see.
It looks like the Broncos may need to trade up to get a QB, or settle for the next tier. The first three teams are already locked in on QB and Atlanta is leaning that way. The 5th QB, be it Fields, Lance or Jones, could easily go in the 5-8 range. New England and Washington are just a couple of the teams who could be ready to trade up.

That said, the Broncos get one of the top four non-QB. That's not nothing.

I'd love Denver to move down(Assuming they don't go QB) and get some extra draft capital. Then I'd like them to use the extra picks to move up and get a Najee Harris in the first or Javante Williams early second. This assumes Harris falls to the late first. Miami might take him at 18. Assuming they don't move too far down they could still get a quality pick in the first.
Or this. The RB are mid to late round players.

It looks like the Broncos may need to trade up to get a QB, or settle for the next tier. The first three teams are already locked in on QB and Atlanta is leaning that way. The 5th QB, be it Fields, Lance or Jones, could easily go in the 5-8 range. New England and Washington are just a couple of the teams who could be ready to trade up.

I am not investing a high draft pick on a RB unless I am certain he will average 5.0 yards a carry, rush 1,500+ yards, and rush at least 10 tds.

I am not investing a high draft pick on a RB unless I am certain he will average 5.0 yards a carry, rush 1,500+ yards, and rush at least 10 tds.
Understandable. There are two RB with first day grades--Etienne and Harris. As noted above, they are mid to late 1st round scores. However, players like Pooka Williams may be available as UDFA.

Understandable. There are two RB with first day grades--Etienne and Harris. As noted above, they are mid to late 1st round scores. However, players like Pooka Williams may be available as UDFA.

I would not draft an Alabama RB with a first-round pick, all disappointments - Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacey, Mark Ingrahm.

I love Javonta Williams from Carolina in the second. Etienne looks like a Kamara like back. Harris does it all.

I love Javonta Williams from Carolina in the second. Etienne looks like a Kamara like back. Harris does it all.

hmmmm just draft all those Alabama kids in the first round. They all performed so well!

Let's talk NFL draft.

Shame on you for not kicking this off with important details about the draft itself - its schedule, location, format, television coverage, and current pick order with a relevant website link. I would much prefer that to immediately saying what your favorite team should do in the first round. I am used to it though and do appreciate the fact other posters are interested in a draft thread that is separate from my NFL Offseason 2021 thread that is already nearly 45 pages long.

I hate the media going crazy about the fact teams often reach for quarterbacks and pretending that means four of them will definitely go in the first 5 picks. Atlanta traded up from 27 to 6 to get Julio Jones, a wide receiver who earned and validated his pick number. I do understand teams often want quarterbacks when they give up as much as San Francisco did, but Jimmy Garoppolo was never the problem when he played. He was just injured most of the year. All that chatter about quarterbacks makes all other holes a team has on its roster an afterthought.

Last edited:
I would not draft an Alabama RB with a first-round pick, all disappointments - Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacey, Mark Ingrahm.
....Travis Henry. Don't make the mistake of passing on a player just because of where he went to school. And while Ingraham hasn't been a star, he's had a very solid NFL career.

Ohio State QBs have been busts in the NFL recently. That doesn't automatically mean Justin Fields will be a bust. Evaluate players on their merit, not their college.

I highly doubt Atlanta drafts a QB at #4. They restructured Matt Ryan's contract recently, which makes him basically uncutable for the next two years (it would cost more against the cap to cut him than to keep him on the roster.) Now they very well might trade the pick to a team drafting a QB, but they are very unlikely to do it themselves.

Back
Top Bottom