• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NFL Draft.

Matt Ryan was drafted in 2008, so he's at the end of his career. They need a new QB and having a year or two for him to learn from a savvy veteran like Ryan is gravy. The timing is not ideal, but you don't pass on this sort of opportunity. Franchise QB don't come along often and Ryan is proof that they can be worth the cost.

Someone, like Denver, might pry the pick away, but it would take a lot. Book value is about #9, #40 and #191 for #4 and #108, that is 1st, 2nd and 6th for 1st and 4th. It would take more than that to keep Atlanta from drafting a QB.

It’s always dangerous taking the 3rd or 4th QB drafted in the first round. It’s usually either a big steal or a bust.

Unless the QB should not have been the third or fourth QB selected. We often see the first two QBs are busts and QBs drafted later become stars.

OMG thank you for talking draft. I have no clue what SF is thinking giving up so much to move to 3, but I think it's Jones or Lance, not Fields. And either way, better for Denver to stay put and let the draft come to it IMO.

I am not sure why the 49ers would do it for a QB when they already have a good one who is nowhere near retirement. They still like Jimmy Garoppolo, who led them to Super Bowl 54 months before he suffered a severe injury in Week 2. With only one elite prospect - Trevor Lawrence, who the Jaguars have already said they will pick - at the position, I see no reason to believe the 49ers needed to move up nine spots for a QB. Chances arfe Mac Jones will still be on the board at 12 if teams watched the same videos Bucky Brooks did. Brooks wrote Jones should not even be a first round pick because all the hype around him is based on the usual team success that always comes from Alabama, which makes sense to me.

I am not sure why the 49ers would do it for a QB when they already have a good one who is nowhere near retirement. They still like Jimmy Garoppolo, who led them to Super Bowl 54 months before he suffered a severe injury in Week 2. With only one elite prospect - Trevor Lawrence, who the Jaguars have already said they will pick - at the position, I see no reason to believe the 49ers needed to move up nine spots for a QB. Chances arfe Mac Jones will still be on the board at 12 if teams watched the same videos Bucky Brooks did. Brooks wrote Jones should not even be a first round pick because all the hype around him is based on the usual team success that always comes from Alabama, which makes sense to me.
In the time since this thread last chattered, I have become convinced it's Fields at 3. He has elite traits, so if the Niners believe they can get the best out of him, it's worth three 1s. (Whether they can or not, I at least see the argument, whereas with Mac Jones it was hard to decipher.)

In the time since this thread last chattered, I have become convinced it's Fields at 3. He has elite traits, so if the Niners believe they can get the best out of him, it's worth three 1s. (Whether they can or not, I at least see the argument, whereas with Mac Jones it was hard to decipher.)

Justinbv Fields looked like two different quarterbacks in the playoffs. Whoever picks him is hoping he will be the Sugar Bowl MVP, not the NCG loser. I don't think there will be a consensus opinion about him until draft night, when everyone knows what the Jets want to do with their #2 pick. I am not saying Fields would be a bad pick at #3 if the Jets go another direction at quarterback.

Justinbv Fields looked like two different quarterbacks in the playoffs. Whoever picks him is hoping he will be the Sugar Bowl MVP, not the NCG loser. I don't think there will be a consensus opinion about him until draft night, when everyone knows what the Jets want to do with their #2 pick. I am not saying Fields would be a bad pick at #3 if the Jets go another direction at quarterback.
I admittedly know nothing about and never watch college football. I just try to read the tea leaves from every NFL article and podcast I can get. I cannot buy giving up that haul for such a limited QB (Jones). I can imagine the thinking ... "This is our Brady" etc. ... so I won't be truly stunned if they take Jones (if I said differently somewhere above, I was exaggerating), but in the end the "math" only makes sense to me if they think they are getting more than that. As for Lance, he does seem to have enormous upside, but it seems like Fields has a similar ceiling with a way higher floor. So I'm gonna be an ass this year as always and try to predict based purely on what other people say, and my hunch is Fields ends up better than any of the others (Lawrence included) except perhaps Wilson. PS -- Lawrence seems overrated from here in the cheap seats, just saying.

I admittedly know nothing about and never watch college football. I just try to read the tea leaves from every NFL article and podcast I can get. I cannot buy giving up that haul for such a limited QB (Jones). I can imagine the thinking ... "This is our Brady" etc. ... so I won't be truly stunned if they take Jones (if I said differently somewhere above, I was exaggerating), but in the end the "math" only makes sense to me if they think they are getting more than that. As for Lance, he does seem to have enormous upside, but it seems like Fields has a similar ceiling with a way higher floor. So I'm gonna be an ass this year as always and try to predict based purely on what other people say, and my hunch is Fields ends up better than any of the others (Lawrence included) except perhaps Wilson. PS -- Lawrence seems overrated from here in the cheap seats, just saying.

You have to watch Clemson games before calling Trevor Lawrence overrated in any aspect of being a football player. Everyone saying he is the next generational talent has spent a lot of time doing that. The people to trust are NFL analysts who used to be scouts or worked with scouting departments because they know everything about how to evaluate each player and the position he plays while watching all the same videos current team staff do. They include Bucky Brooks, Daniel Jeremiah, Gil Brandt, Charley Casserly, and former NFL coaches. All of them call Lawrence a generational talent after watching him play most of three seasons in college. (COVID-19 caused him to miss two games and a Clemson game cancellation last year.)

Justin Fields obviously has an experience disadvantage, but he rarely had a bad game and his opponents were much tougher than anyone Trey Lance played against. Tell me how bad Fields played against very good teams after watching every game he played in an Ohio State uniform.

A franchise QB needs to eat, breathe, sleep football.

I question if Trevor Lawrence has that fire and passion to be great:

"It’s hard to explain that because I want people to know that I’m passionate about what I do and it’s really important to me, but ... I don’t have this huge chip on my shoulder, that everyone’s out to get me and I’m trying to prove everybody wrong. I just don’t have that. I can’t manufacture that. I don’t want to."

I feel like the fact that SF traded up so early in the process means either they have very good intel as to who will be there or they love at least two QB's who will be there. I would think you would want a new age QB like Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray or Josh Allen. Maybe they want the more cerebral Peyton Manning type. They just saw a non athletic QB win a super bowl. Jones actually has decent mobility. I'm praying they pass on Fields so maybe the Broncos can snag him. Denver is the odds on favorite to get Trey Lance. They are the third favorite to get Fields.

Well with the Bears being a dumpster fire this season, I'm not looking forward to this draft because I know my team's GM is gonna screw it up like he always does...
You know Andy Dalton is a bridge QB for the next rookie in Chicago, right? The HC and GM might know barring a miracle on April 29, their seats are hot and someone else will draft players next year. It will be interesting to see what they do with the #20 pick

Reactions: PoS
Entertainment in Cleveland during the draft:
Fundraising during the draft:

You know Andy Dalton is a bridge QB for the next rookie in Chicago, right? The HC and GM might know barring a miracle on April 29, their seats are hot and someone else will draft players next year. It will be interesting to see what they do with the #20 pick
The only reason the Bears morons got Andy Dalton was because they couldnt get Russel Wilson, that's how stupid they are. The team has no capital to trade down and get a QB unless they sacrifice future picks, and thats gonna suck even more.

Either way, Im tuning out this season. Ive been a Bears fan since forever and I am totally disgusted by what the team is doing. I am looking forward to 2022!

The only reason the Bears morons got Andy Dalton was because they couldnt get Russel Wilson, that's how stupid they are. The team has no capital to trade down and get a QB unless they sacrifice future picks, and thats gonna suck even more.

Either way, Im tuning out this season. Ive been a Bears fan since forever and I am totally disgusted by what the team is doing. I am looking forward to 2022!
IMO, the Bears started screwing up in 1987 and have not looked back since.

Reactions: PoS
Lets talk NFL draft.

My team is the Denver Broncos. We have the 9 pick. I am hoping we move up and get a QB. Justin Fields would be nice but Trey Lance would be fun. I think SF is taking fields and the Mac Jones thing is a smokescreen. Denver is in the best position of all the QB needy teams picking at 9. NE at 15, Washington at 19 and Chicago at 20 are the others.

We shall see.
For those, like me, who had no idea when this thing was supposed to begin.

2021 NFL Draft will begin at 8:00 PM on
Thursday, April 29
and ends on
Saturday, May 1
All times are in Eastern Time.

I‘m calling it right now. The Niners are taking Tre Lance. I cracked the code. You don’t give up that much capital for a player who isn’t a generational talent. Mac Jones is a nice player and will probably be a solid pro. Trey Lance is a bigger, smarter version of Lamar Jackson and he has a stronger more accurate arm. People seem to think he is a project and will have to sit for a year or two. This is understandable given his lack of experience and play against elite talent. The truth is he played in a pro style offense and had as much responsibilty as any other prospect. The Niners knew that Atlanta was eyeing him so they jumped ahead. They have Jimmy G to start the season and if things go well they stick with him. They are probably licking their chops knowing they can use Lance in a Taysom Hill type of way and be able to slowly integrate him into the offense.

I think Fields is another very nice player and wouldn’t be shocked if he’s the pick. I don’t view him as a generational talent.

The only reason the Bears morons got Andy Dalton was because they couldnt get Russel Wilson, that's how stupid they are. The team has no capital to trade down and get a QB unless they sacrifice future picks, and that's gonna suck even more.

I know why the Bears were unable to get Russell Wilson. The Seahawks said no way, he is their QB and definitely not leaving. It would have been a bad trade for Seattle.

What do you want the Bears to do?

I know why the Bears were unable to get Russell Wilson. The Seahawks said no way, he is their QB and definitely not leaving. It would have been a bad trade for Seattle.

I understand where Russell Wilson is coming from. The Seahawks are a sinking ship. They do not really have an owner. Pete Carroll is driving that franchise into the ground.

You have to watch Clemson games before calling Trevor Lawrence overrated in any aspect of being a football player. Everyone saying he is the next generational talent has spent a lot of time doing that. The people to trust are NFL analysts who used to be scouts or worked with scouting departments because they know everything about how to evaluate each player and the position he plays while watching all the same videos current team staff do. They include Bucky Brooks, Daniel Jeremiah, Gil Brandt, Charley Casserly, and former NFL coaches. All of them call Lawrence a generational talent after watching him play most of three seasons in college. (COVID-19 caused him to miss two games and a Clemson game cancellation last year.)

Justin Fields obviously has an experience disadvantage, but he rarely had a bad game and his opponents were much tougher than anyone Trey Lance played against. Tell me how bad Fields played against very good teams after watching every game he played in an Ohio State uniform.
I merely aggregate the opinions of those serious voices. And I hear more and more about Lawrence being overrated and having genuine weaknesses. I could watch 10 million Clemson games and I wouldn't be remotely as informed, because I have no expertise to judge what I am seeing. But I do think, perhaps incorrectly?, that listening to the experts causes some cause for concern about Lawrence.

I‘m calling it right now. The Niners are taking Tre Lance. I cracked the code. You don’t give up that much capital for a player who isn’t a generational talent. Mac Jones is a nice player and will probably be a solid pro. Trey Lance is a bigger, smarter version of Lamar Jackson and he has a stronger more accurate arm. People seem to think he is a project and will have to sit for a year or two. This is understandable given his lack of experience and play against elite talent. The truth is he played in a pro style offense and had as much responsibilty as any other prospect. The Niners knew that Atlanta was eyeing him so they jumped ahead. They have Jimmy G to start the season and if things go well they stick with him. They are probably licking their chops knowing they can use Lance in a Taysom Hill type of way and be able to slowly integrate him into the offense.

I think Fields is another very nice player and wouldn’t be shocked if he’s the pick. I don’t view him as a generational talent.
I guess I should just admit whatever opinion I express just reflects whatever podcast I heard last. I have no idea what they are doing, but I do think they must have a very, very strong opinion on one of the 3 candidates.

Best take I have heard is if the Seahawks had done the deal then the Seahawks would have become the Bears and the Bears would have become the Seahawks ... and what's the point of that?

I understand where Russell Wilson is coming from. The Seahawks are a sinking ship. They do not really have an owner. Pete Carroll is driving that franchise into the ground.
I wish my Raiders would be driven into the ground with the same level of success.

How can you say that? He played in one game last year.
I wish my Raiders would be driven into the ground with the same level of success.

I'll take Al Davis' son over Paul Allen's sister. The Seahawks are becoming the Detroit Lions.

I merely aggregate the opinions of those serious voices. And I hear more and more about Lawrence being overrated and having genuine weaknesses. I could watch 10 million Clemson games and I wouldn't be remotely as informed, because I have no expertise to judge what I am seeing. But I do think, perhaps incorrectly?, that listening to the experts causes some cause for concern about Lawrence.

A lot of this we won't know. We cannot measure a kid's heart and passion.

A lot of great qbs breathe, eat, drink football. That desire to become the best. Not quitting when things are down and out.

These are things we have no idea how they will pan out.

Justin Herbert didn't seem like he had the "it" factor but now looks like a legit franchise QB.

Ryan Leaf looked like he had a lot of passion and desire. His career flamed out fast.

It has nothing to do with Paul Allen's death. The Packers only had a real owner when Earl Lambeau was in charge. Allen was a computer software guy qho let football guys run the team.

What Russell Wilson said he wants is a better offensive line. vvHe was very clear about that. So what Seattle should do obviously is tackle that wall in the draft (pun intended).

IMO, the Bears started screwing up in 1987 and have not looked back since.
I think the Bears started their decline earlier than that, when the McCaskeys took over the running of the team from George Halas. Halas Jr was supposed to be the one running things after his father retired, but he died suddenly.

I want them to fire the head coach, the GM and their VP, thats what. The problem starts from the top, and I aint watching them anymore until they do!

Back
Top Bottom