• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
a snapshot of how gridlocked our congress has become

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/08/us/politics/in-congress-gridlock-and-harsh-consequences.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=politics

15 laws. 15 laws in 2013 so far compared to the 23 laws passed at this same point in time in 2011.

:boom

WHAT THE :censored IS THIS CONGRESS DOING TO FIX THIS!!!!!!! :soapbox

The less laws they pass the better.

i don't think so. people are suffering because of congress's inaction.

take what happened after the farm bill failed.

Our congress critters have no problem getting re-elected, so long as that is the case then they have no problem. In policy polls our congress critters have an approval rating only slightly above a roadkill sandwich, yet the vast majority get re-elected. The sheeple are fat, lazy and content to keep their current congressional representative morons in power. You pay what you get for, when you let the tail wag the dog.

Why don't you ask your buddy Harry Reid?

i actually believe in a government that functions properly and to the benefit of the people.

what congress is doing right now is hardly productive

The "farm bill" is 80% SNAP income redistribution and farmers are neither broke nor entitled to gov't income guarantees.

farmdocdaily: Farm Policy Background: Income of U.S. Farm vs. Nonfarm Population

and what about the livestock producers who are suffering right now?

what about the dairy producers?

what about the fact that the brasilians are imposing tariffs on our goods and services because congress could not get our cotton program compliant with international trade law?

all those things i quoted earlier? those are consequences of having the most incompetent congress in recent history.

Then it is clearly time to make ALL of these congress critters history. Yet, 92% that ran for re-election in 2012 won. Don't blame the few morons in DC, blame the many more morons that sent them there.

Then it is clearly time to make ALL of these congress critters history.

it will be too late to fix the problems now if we wait until the next election.

THis gridlock has to stop. we have to convince the congress we have now to fix the problems we have now.

Then it is clearly time to make ALL of these congress critters history. Yet, 92% that ran for re-election in 2012 won. Don't blame the few morons in DC, blame the many more morons that sent them there.

Blame the Gerry-mandering that needs to be undone in the 43 state's with more than one Rep. Oops, that would require a Constitutional change. We can't have that. And so you get to keep your 27--9 remap in Texas, though your state is certainly not even close to that for D vs. R voting.

THis gridlock has to stop. we have to convince the congress we have now to fix the problems we have now.

Nonsense, we have our wonderful leader Obama in charge of that. The great teleprompter guru, our campaigner in chief, he will just have to learn how to be an executive, or at least how to organize the congressional community.

Nonsense, we have our wonderful leader Obama in charge of that. The great teleprompter guru, our campaigner in chief, he will just have to learn how to be an executive, or at least how to organize the congressional community.

to effectively govern obama needs to have a congress that is at least capable of functioning in order to pass laws. without congress the executive is powerless to act on its own.

Besides how on earth are you suposed to govern if one political ideology is demanding the other's unconditional surrender?

Federal control of election laws is already in the constitution. Reading is for the mental, I mean fundamental.

Article One of the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reagan and Clinton did it. It is not my fault that Obama is in way over his head. Which party rammed through PPACA, aka ObamaCare, and now says that it was really just "guidelines" that the president may alter the "details" of as he sees fit? Don't toss stones in that glass house of yours.

So you are voting for the Democrats in your State elections right? Otherwise you would be the pot calling the kettle black.

So you are voting for the Democrats in your State elections right? Otherwise you would be the pot calling the kettle black.

Texas has a new Senator, Ted Cruz, as of 2012, and 9 new House members - how about your state?

Last edited:

Are you seriously asking what the dysfunctional institution is going to do to fix itself? How does that make any sense?

There are so many laws on the books no one can even count them. Why do we need to judge Congress by how many new ones they pass?

"There is no one in the United States over the age of 18 who cannot be indicted for some federal crime," said John Baker, a retired Louisiana State University law professor who has also tried counting the number of new federal crimes created in recent years. "That is not an exaggeration."

The Many Failed Efforts to Count Nation's Federal Criminal Laws - WSJ.com

15 bills the House passed, but Reid refuses to schedule for votes

Here are the 15 bills sitting on Harry Reid's desk because he can't bring himself to schedule them for a vote in the Senate. God forbid they should pass... that would put Obama in the untenable position of either signing REPUBLICAN legislation (can't have that, now can we?) or vetoing REPUBLICAN measures that could help to improve the jobs picture in this country. Either way, Obama would lose. The fact that these measures would help this country, well, who really gives a ****, right?

Last edited:

I love gridlock. It is the only thing we have left to protect ourselves from government since we can't have single term limits. I can only hope the gridlock gets worse. That last place you want problems fixed is the US Congress.

I'm sure I break laws every day. I just don't know which ones. I'm long past caring.

I have to agree with others on several points.

Grid lock is not necessarily bad, as it protects us from one side passing burdensome, unnecessary and damaging laws. The Dems have not, since first taking control of the Senate in 2007, offered up a single law that would help job growth and reduce spending debt in any realistic fashion. They have however proposed many, many laws that would damage business and growth. We have no real idea of what the Reps would/could do as they are hampered by trying to stave off the lunatic fringe of the left while showing signs of severe fracturing within their own ranks.

It is not only the fault of the people in congress, it is more the fault of the people who put them in congress. What we are seeing is the inevitable results of open representative democracy when the ignorant, stupid and selfish are given the ability to vote their ignorance, stupidity and selfishness with absolutely no balance to their power.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…