• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Need Nail Polish Remover? Bring Your ID

They have a right to do that, but we can expect laws requiring all stores to do the same thing. This is what happens when government starts regulating the private activities of consenting adults. That is difficult to do with our few remaining privacy rights, so measures like this are the logical next step.

I have to wonder how much more toxic bootleg meth is compared to the pharmaceutical equivalent. Are these laws poisoning people significantly more than if it was legal and regulations applied to make it as safe as possible?

Why buy a little bitty bottle of nail polish remover that contains acetone, when you can buy a quart of the pure stuff at the hardware store for just a few bucks?

Why buy a little bitty bottle of nail polish remover that contains acetone, when you can buy a quart of the pure stuff at the hardware store for just a few bucks?

LOL - I was just think that. They sell it in gallon metal tins. :rofl

LOL - I was just think that. They sell it in gallon metal tins. :rofl

It's great for getting pine pitch, road tar, and the like off of your vehicles, but I've never tried it to start a real life story of Breaking Bad.

Indeed.

I find it very difficult to believe that anyone is buying fingernail polish remover to use as an ingredient in any illegal process, given how easy and cheap it is to obtain plain old acetone in purer form, in larger amounts, and at much lower cost.

2013-08-13 23.58.31.jpg

I have to say that CVS is doing this as some sort of theatrical, symbolic gesture, to show support for anti-drug efforts, without doing anything to actually help these efforts in any meaningful way.

Indeed.

I find it very difficult to believe that anyone is buying fingernail polish remover to use as an ingredient in any illegal process, given how easy and cheap it is to obtain plain old acetone in purer form, in larger amounts, and at much lower cost.

I have to say that CVS is doing this as some sort of theatrical, symbolic gesture, to show support for anti-drug efforts, without doing anything to actually help these efforts in any meaningful way.

According to the article their stores have been targeted by meth cookers for the nail polish. Sounds more like a moral decision on the part of the company to me and not theatrics. They were also one of the stores that refused to sell the Rolling Stone magazine that depicted the Boston Marathon Bomber as some rock star. I think both instances speak to the character of whoever is running that company.

Indeed.

OMG! They're taking over Congress' job!

I think it's more the convenience. At Home Depot, you can only buy the batteries and the acetone. At CVS, you can get both, PLUS the pills you need. One stop shopping, lol.

OMG! They're taking over Congress' job!

Actually there is something else to consider.
A few years ago law enforcement put into place a program to track the refills of narcotics such as oxycodone because so much of it ending on the streets for sale. Since this is a pharmacy, it is very possible items used to make meth are on that list too to aid law enforcement in seeking out those who purchase excessive amounts. Everything you have to sign for in a pharmacy your name goes into the data bank with all the information pertaining to your purchase.

Indeed.

I don't find it hard to believe they shop for nail polish at drug stores. I'd be willing to bet that many of these people have never ever set foot in a hardware store and are simply unaware of what is inside them and that they could be more efficient.

I agree with the symbolic theatrics angle.

Last night a local news reporter took a "buy 2 get 1 free" coupon... a CVS coupon, no less... to a CVS to try and buy 3 bottles. He was refused that high an amount, even though the coupon advertised it.

Semi irrelevant, but I thought it was humorous.

Last night a local news reporter took a "buy 2 get 1 free" coupon... a CVS coupon, no less... to a CVS to try and buy 3 bottles. He was refused that high an amount, even though the coupon advertised it.

Semi irrelevant, but I thought it was humorous.

Left hand, meet right hand. :mrgreen:

According to the article their stores have been targeted by meth cookers for the nail polish.

That just doesn't make sense. Acetone is cheap and abundant at any hardware store, and has such a wide range of legitimate applications that it would be seriously unfeasible to impose any significant restrictions on purchasing it. Nail polish remover is acetone, watered down, with girly colors and scents added, and sold in very small bottles at very much higher prices. There's just no reason why anyone would buy that for an application that just calls for plain acetone.

I just have to call solid digestive waste from a male bovine on any claim that meth makers are buying nail polish remover for this purpose, or that anyone credibly thinks that restricting the sales of nail polish remover can have any meaningful effect on the illegal drug business.

That just doesn't make sense. Acetone is cheap and abundant at any hardware store, and has such a wide range of legitimate applications that it would be seriously unfeasible to impose any significant restrictions on purchasing it. Nail polish remover is acetone, watered down, with girly colors and scents added, and sold in very small bottles at very much higher prices. There's just no reason why anyone would buy that for an application that just calls for plain acetone.

I just have to call solid digestive waste from a male bovine on any claim that meth makers are buying nail polish remover for this purpose, or that anyone credibly thinks that restricting the sales of nail polish remover can have any meaningful effect on the illegal drug business.

Well a little digging for a few more facts and one discovers the reason for choosing nail polish remover is because it contains both acetone and iodine, TWO ingredients needed to make meth.

And in the excerpt below please note the reason for CVS to take such precautions in a certain geographic location is to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Add nail polish remover to the list of items getting the cigarettes-and-booze​ treatment. According to Boston National Public Radio station WBUR, CVS (CVS) stores in Southern New England now require identification from those buying the beauty product because it contains acetone and iodine -- two of the ingredients that can be used to make methamphetamine.

Yes, for now, you can still get nail polish remover at Walgreens (WAG) and Rite-Aid (RAD) without showing ID. No, this policy hasn't spread beyond New England and small portions of Washington, D.C. Yet.

Once it gets out that a particular product is part of the meth-making process, it doesn't take long for companies to throw up a few barricades between themselves and a liability suit. Right now, there is no state or federal law requiring companies to card for purchases involving nail polish remover, but similar rules aimed at restricting access to the pseudoephedrine found in Sudafed and other medications banished them behind the counter in very little time at all.

Just as your driver's license is scanned every time you buy high-octane cold medicine, CVS locations in southern New England will do the same each time someone buys nail polish remover. It is not known if CVS will hold on to that scanned information for two years, as it is required to by law when someone purchases some Sudafed.

Is this consumer inconvenience helping to solve the problem at all? It depends on how the problem is defined. If the problem is lawsuits against companies who sold ingredients to people who then manufactured methamphetamine -- such as the one that resulted in CVS paying a $77.6 million settlement in 2010 -- then, yes, corporate posteriors are far better shielded than they once were.

Why CVS wants ID for nail polish remover purchases- MSN Money

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom