• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NC Sheriff new security measures - locking up AR's inside school for officers

Yuck. Give kids guns. Your opinions are wild dude.

12 gauge shotguns should suffice. Overpenetration would not be nearly as much of a problem.

If we are going to have armed officers on school campuses armed to take on school shooters, I would prefer they don't use weapons which can penetrate walls and doors and kill students or teachers.

Yes "they say" as I say it could take to long given circumstances but the best is if the r.o. (not range officer lol) go's toward the fire. Given no r.o. then the best response is an armed teacher. And that place would be from where ever it was concealed on the person.

If we are going to have armed officers on school campuses armed to take on school shooters, I would prefer they don't use weapons which can penetrate walls and doors and kill students or teachers.
Right... for safety!

i guess when you skip part of my posts it's easy to post that kind of lie.
Placing the most deadly weapons, that are used most commonly in school shootings, in "readily available " places inside a school is insane. There are many other options available.

Yes, arm the teachers. You and @CaughtInThe agree. Seems silly when there is an s.r.o. on staff...

Keep in mind, this is not the bush; no officer is carrying a Rem 700 in the trunk unless they are a sniper for swat and it's definitely not the proper tool for inside a school. In my area, every officer I know has some sort of semi-auto rifle with most being AR style.

I don't believe it's the teacher, I believe it's the institution that is the issue. Government run schools have left a lot to be desired when it comes to doing their students justice.

Placing the most deadly weapons, that are used most commonly in school shootings, in "readily available " places inside a school is insane. There are many other options available.
in an active shooter event (which we have and a lot of countries don't due to the fact that we're swimming in guns) how much time does the "good guy with a gun" have to shoot the bad guy (with the guns that you want the good guys to have).

Right... for safety!

I do not think AR-15s are appropriate weapons for a school campus. Semi-automatic rifles meant to fire high velocity ammunition are too dangerous for crowded school settings. There is too high a possibility of innocent people being injured or killed from rounds shooting through walls and doors. If you disagree, please feel free to add something of substance. Or don't.

I disagree with arming teachers from the start. I disagree with weapons caches at schools from the start. I will compromise on it, if it's about #8 on the list, give or take.

The school shooter I assume you mean. He could do it in say two minutes maybe less with a modicum of accuracy. Ten round magazines about the same give 5-6 seconds for reloads, but he's shooting fish in a barrel. Me one [1] shot and the shooter is done.

and if you have to run and get locked up guns?

I disagree with arming teachers from the start. I disagree with weapons caches at schools from the start. I will compromise on it, if it's about #8 on the list, give or take.

Well, that is reasonable. I do not think it should be expected that teachers be armed. Only the campus police/school resource officer should be armed. And I do not like the idea of a static arsenal on a school campus. Guns should arrive on campus and leave campus with the resource officers.

Maybe, in a scenario where everything lines up for you. Including not getting shot by the killer, having a clear shot and being undisturbed, NOT being shot by the cops, etc. So you're just describing an LEO sniper, really. And we already do that.

That comes down to each individual. Not all are built equally and some will not take immediate, aggressive action as we saw in TX. You can train to the cows come home but you won't know for sure until you're in it. I think the safe on campus is just another resource that will require training and preplanning. Whether or not it's a difference maker is the real question but having it staged there provides more options for responders in my eyes.

wHy?,?!why?,?!?

aR 15s are No more dEAdlY oR useful for putTiNG hOLeS iN hUmAnS tHaN aNY oTHeR gUn
Google wasn't able to translate that but I think you're saying AR15s are just like any other gun? The value of the AR platform is that it can be setup specifically for a given situation - such as the inside of a school. This provides the user with a powerful round in a customizable package. Very useful.

12 gauge shotguns should suffice. Overpenetration would not be nearly as much of a problem.
12ga is great in close quarters but I imagine storming a classroom there would be a higher chance for collateral damage using buckshot that would override the potential for over penetration.

Yuck. Give kids guns. Your opinions are wild dude.
No your replies are wild where did CaughtInThe say he wanted to arm kids? Here I'll refresh things.

in an active shooter event (which we have and a lot of countries don't due to the fact that we're swimming in guns) how much time does the "good guy with a gun" have to shoot the bad guy (with the guns that you want the good guys to have).
Hey, your "good guy with the gun" rambo myth doesn't seem to be working
Sorry. Placing more guns in schools, as readily available for whomever to use, is not a good solution. Let's keep guns locked up, and handguns out of schools where kids can get them.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…