• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

NASCAR racing

Stace said:
You lucky, lucky person.

I lived in the Daytona area when I was way younger....between the ages of 3 and 7, to be exact. My stepfather did some sort of bike race on the track....I've got a picture of my brother and I standing in Victory Lane. Ah, little did I know how important that picture would become to me one day.....
:lol: ... Whenever you and your husband are ready to come down, with a little advance notice (2 weeks) let me know I can get you some excellent rates at a 4 star on the beach... And that goes for anyone else here on DP. I get in to the races free cause I'm generally working...Hah! Some job.

independent_thinker2002 said:
Nascar is big in rural areas, not just the south. I really don't get it. I used to live by an interstate and I didn't find watching traffic interesting. I don't see how going to a race is any better. You get to see each driver a few seconds of every minute. I can drink beer anywhere. And yes I know about all the women flashing in the trailer area. I have played in bands, I have seen plenty of boobs. There are many places to see them, I won't be going to a race to see them though.

Jeez, you're not much of a bigot, are ya.....:roll:
Among my friends of Nascar are a dual masters degree artist, an IT systems analyst, a DOD quality inspections supervisor and a former bomb technician.
None of us flash boobs or drink much beer if any.
Ugh...hate snooty 'don't know crap about Nascar, but I hate it anyway' comments....

ngdawg said:
Among my friends of Nascar are a dual masters degree artist, an IT systems analyst, a DOD quality inspections supervisor and a former bomb technician.
Ugh...hate snooty 'don't know crap about Nascar, but I hate it anyway' comments....

There's no flashing going on? Well I was making travel arrangements, but...

Seriously, I'm alway amazed how people group and categorize other people in regards to stuff in which they have no knowledge. I hunt and fish. Thoughh not as often as I'd like to these days. People are constantly making red neck jokes about people who engage in outdoor sports of this nature. One of the guys I used to hunt with was a lead biologist for the BLM. He literally wrote the book on elk and their habitat. He received his PhD for his work on elk habitat. Another good friend on mine, who I often fish with, has his PhD in computer technologies. Huh, maybe they really are rednecks, maybe I should start calling them Dr. Redneck.

Bud Shootout was, despite the need for finger-wagging, a great start to the new season. Tony Stewart is right, IMO, if they don't/didn't do something about the aggresive 'bump-drafting', somebody is going to get seriously hurt or killed. Glad to see Mike Helton spell it out before the qualifers.

Mark Martin has always been a huge favorite of mine - he is just such a good person. Had hoped he would win it all last year; pulling for him again this year. But, yeah, his heart may not be totally in it this year. Nonetheless, he is such a competitor! And he will never let his crew members down.

oldreliable67 said:
Bud Shootout was, despite the need for finger-wagging, a great start to the new season. Tony Stewart is right, IMO, if they don't/didn't do something about the aggresive 'bump-drafting', somebody is going to get seriously hurt or killed. Glad to see Mike Helton spell it out before the qualifers.

Mark Martin has always been a huge favorite of mine - he is just such a good person. Had hoped he would win it all last year; pulling for him again this year. But, yeah, his heart may not be totally in it this year. Nonetheless, he is such a competitor! And he will never let his crew members down.
A couple years ago I saw an interview whereas Tony Stewart seemed really puffed-up... Describing himself as "Mr. Success"... Didn't much care for him before that, but after I wondered how he was even able to fit his head thru the driverside window... Yesterdays interview was telling and awesome seems he has redeemed himself as the Champion he is... So I'm gonna try not to dislike him so much... As for Mark he has never been a favorite of mine but he is a local boy here (Daytona) and this maybe being his last year he is deserving of a good run on points... Then maybe he actually would retire. Can't help it... I like Kurt! :rock I figure if I don't root for him who will...lol
Hate Dodge though.

Apostle13 said:
A couple years ago I saw an interview whereas Tony Stewart seemed really puffed-up... Describing himself as "Mr. Success"... Didn't much care for him before that, but after I wondered how he was even able to fit his head thru the driverside window... Yesterdays interview was telling and awesome seems he has redeemed himself as the Champion he is... So I'm gonna try not to dislike him so much... As for Mark he has never been a favorite of mine but he is a local boy here (Daytona) and this maybe being his last year he is deserving of a good run on points... Then maybe he actually would retire. Can't help it... I like Kurt! :rock I figure if I don't root for him who will...lol
Hate Dodge though.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I watched some of some timed laps the other day. Not really all that exciting. I'm interested, yet somewhat puzzled by, the appeal of this sport. What upcoming event would you suggest I watch to get a feel for what this sport is really all about?

Pacridge said:
As I stated earlier in this thread, I watched some of some timed laps the other day. Not really all that exciting. I'm interested, yet somewhat puzzled by, the appeal of this sport. What upcoming event would you suggest I watch to get a feel for what this sport is really all about?
Daytona 500 is this Sunday it is also known as "The Superbowl of Racing"... Race starts around 2:00pm EST on NBC... Check it out!

Apostle13 said:
Daytona 500 is this Sunday it is also known as "The Superbowl of Racing"... Race starts around 2:00pm EST on NBC... Check it out!

Hmm, seems like I may have heard of that race. I'll set my Tivo for it right now.

Thanks

Apostle13 said:
Hate Dodge though.

Tony has really done a 180 over the past year and a half, and I'm glad to see it, 'cause I couldn't stand him in 2004, and now I find myself cheering him on.

It's almost a requirement in our family to like Mark Martin...my father in law is a HUGE Mark fan, so the rest of us just kind of piggyback off of that, though we all have our own individual favorite drivers....hubby and I both pull for all of the Evernham boys (now that Scott Riggs has joined the gang, I can't say both anymore!...disappointing that he didn't make the 500...), my brother in law is a Jr fan, and his wife is a Gordon fan.....oh, we all pick on her for that one!! All of the rest of us hate Gordon....so if we're all watching a race together, it's pretty amusing...all of the rest of us are willing him to wreck, and she's sitting there going "Come on hot stuff, you can do it!".....

What's wrong with Dodge? Me personally, I'm not much of a Chevy fan, but I've never liked Chevys anyway....

Pacridge said:

Another race I would suggest (Besides the Daytona 500 already mentioned) is the Coca Cola 600.....it's a ways in the future (May 28th at 5 p.m. on FOX), but it's one of my favorite races.....I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that it's on my hometown track (Lowe's Motor Speedway), but it always proves to be an exciting race....the track manager did some funky stuff to it last year, so we had a record number of cautions (Twenty two!!)...and I was there live for all of that! Now they've had to resurface the track again, so there won't be any rubber built up on the track......the boys'll be going FAST!!!!

In 2004, Home Depot demanded that Stewart take some anger management classes or find another sponsor. His tirades were NOT what they wanted to be associated with. It is amazing to see what he was 2 years ago compared to now. And it shows in the fans-his fence-climbing and self-effacing joking in light of his great season shows a maturity and relaxation that can only help his career in the long haul. After all, just look at Kurt Busch-doesn't matter if he's the best driver around(which he sure as hell isn't)-he's still a jerk whose merchandise trailers only take up space and collect dust.

Apostle13 said:
I'm am strictly the Super Speedway Sort... Restrictor plates SUCK!!! But they do save lives and I am all for that.:mrgreen:

Actually, restrictor plates cause more accidents than they prevent.

ngdawg said:

All of my inlaws are huge fans of nascar. I know more about it than you would ever guess. I actually understand what the adjustments crews perform do and are supposed to accomplish. Sure, people in the city like nascar, such as my inlaws.

BTW, what did I say that was bigoted? I never said anything about education levels, color of skin, financial status, or number of teeth. You inferred that all by yourself! I didn't even say that all fans live in rural areas, I just said it wasn't just big in the south, it was big in all rural areas. Your cognitive dissonance is duly noted.

Please tell me where you got your PhD. in Nascar? What do you think that you know that I don't about it?

Stace said:
Trust me, it is much more interesting than all of that. And I've never lived in a rural area my entire life.....small towns, sure, but nothing I would consider rural.

Actually small towns are rural in the context I was using it.

Pacridge said:
There's no flashing going on? Well I was making travel arrangements, but...

Seriously, I'm alway amazed how people group and categorize other people in regards to stuff in which they have no knowledge. I hunt and fish. Thoughh not as often as I'd like to these days. People are constantly making red neck jokes about people who engage in outdoor sports of this nature. One of the guys I used to hunt with was a lead biologist for the BLM. He literally wrote the book on elk and their habitat. He received his PhD for his work on elk habitat. Another good friend on mine, who I often fish with, has his PhD in computer technologies. Huh, maybe they really are rednecks, maybe I should start calling them Dr. Redneck.

Nowhere did I even come close to a redneck reference. Although, in order to consider fishing a sport I think you should be swimming with the fish. lol

Pacridge said:

Bristol is the only race I would watch.

Nowhere did I even come close to a redneck reference. Although, in order to consider fishing a sport I think you should be swimming with the fish. lol

Where did I say you made a redneck reference?

Pacridge said:
Where did I say you made a redneck reference?

I am not saying that you did. You responded to ngdawg saying I was making bigoted remarks. I just wanted to make sure that the truth of the matter was understood.:lol:

Almost every part of this: Nascar is big in rural areas, not just the south. I really don't get it. I used to live by an interstate and I didn't find watching traffic interesting. I don't see how going to a race is any better. You get to see each driver a few seconds of every minute. I can drink beer anywhere. And yes I know about all the women flashing in the trailer area. I have played in bands, I have seen plenty of boobs. There are many places to see them, I won't be going to a race to see them though. is bigoted, or at least, very narrow minded, stereotypical commenting on the fastest growing, cleanest running sport in this country.

ngdawg said:
Almost every part of this: Nascar is big in rural areas, not just the south. I really don't get it. I used to live by an interstate and I didn't find watching traffic interesting. I don't see how going to a race is any better. You get to see each driver a few seconds of every minute. I can drink beer anywhere. And yes I know about all the women flashing in the trailer area. I have played in bands, I have seen plenty of boobs. There are many places to see them, I won't be going to a race to see them though. is bigoted, or at least, very narrow minded, stereotypical commenting on the fastest growing, cleanest running sport in this country.
That is what I saw in those remarks as well...
Anybody see the race today... I missed most of it, but what a Finish!

Apostle13 said:
That is what I saw in those remarks as well...
Anybody see the race today... I missed most of it, but what a Finish!

Oh man, it was insane!!! I hate that little punk Kyle Busch...wait...I've said that before. Well, I still hate him. I can only imagine how well Kasey would have finished had he not been caught up in that one wreck...my boy leading at Daytona...never thought I'd see that.

Stace said:
Oh man, it was insane!!! I hate that little punk Kyle Busch...wait...I've said that before. Well, I still hate him. I can only imagine how well Kasey would have finished had he not been caught up in that one wreck...my boy leading at Daytona...never thought I'd see that.

I beginning to think you've got a little thing for this Busch guy. Come one admit it, if you were on the play ground with him would be secretly hoping he pulled your hair. Is he a "Bud" Busch?

BTW- What is "Woot" in terms of mood?

Apostle13 said:
I'm am strictly the Super Speedway Sort... Restrictor plates SUCK!!! But they do save lives and I am all for that.
Actually, restrictor plates cause more accidents than they prevent.
Its really an open and neverending debate... I almost tend to agree, except before restrictors they were running upwards of 210 mph as opposed to now at or near 190... Doesn't sound like alot of dif but at those speeds it is... Also there are more cars in the field now... But yea they tend not to run away from each other instead staying in usually one big pack whereas one goes so don't many... Does make for more excitement. I'm erring on side with NASCAR only cause they factor reduced liability.
Stace said:
So what happened? Kyle didn't punk him out again, did he? When I left they were running together at like 5th&6th and I was actually thinking "I hope Kyle don't tick Stace off...lol Just so you know I don't like Kyle either, only Kurt. Seems Kyle has LBS (little brother syndrome)...Always trying to catch up to big bro' in bigger ways... "See brother I got testes too"... "Yes, fine kid... Now bring me that wheelbarrel so's I can haul mine back to the garage." ...lol

ngdawg said:

Funny how you think that my comments were bigoted. Perhaps you could explain what sounded bigoted to you. I really don't see it.

'Big in rural areas, not just the south'-implies that only rural-ites are into it. Simply false in both directions. Happen to see the crowds in Manhattan when they appeared?
'Used to live near an interstate and didn't find watching traffic very interesting'
That's like saying 'I painted my kitchen, I don't find art very interesting'. One has nothing to do with another. It's been proven that NASCAR drivers are every bit the athlete-their endurance, heart rates, mindset equal or rival those of marathon runners. I drove the Bristol track-at 70mph it's HARD to do.
'I can drink beer anywhere'. So? You think that's all anyone does at a race? At Bristol, they don't serve just beer, they have Margarita stands and there's no selling an hour before the anticipated end. Beer is also sold at horse tracks, most sporting events and trade shows. It's the least of what goes on during a NASCAR weekend.
'Women flashing in the trailer area'. Like this doesn't happen everywhere in every sport, not just in 'trailer areas' at Nascar. And they are a minority. Ever see those RV's the drivers have? They're hardly 'trailers'. My house will never look that good or cost that much. And not just anyone can get into those areas-they have to purchase a pass at least or be part of a VIP group. Those passes cost MUCHO bucks and the VIP suites at Bristol are, in a word, luxurious.

Back
Top Bottom