• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

NASCAR racing

Billo_Really said:
That's what my friend says about hockey.

Hey, we get fights in NASCAR, just like hockey does. :2razz:

Stace said:
NASCAR is the second most popular sport in America, right behind football.

Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. are always favorites for a Daytona win, but I wouldn't count out Tony Stewart, either.

My daughter saw me watching Nascar today. She brought out a CD with some country guy, Cletus something I think??? Song was called "Nascar Races" Pretty funny really. Though I'm more of an AC/DC type.

Stace said:
NASCAR is the second most popular sport in America, right behind football.

Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. are always favorites for a Daytona win, but I wouldn't count out Tony Stewart, either.
Jeff and Dale are cool and I'll agree are lead contenders at Daytona... The only reason I like to see Tony win is cause I keep hoping he'll fall on his fat a$$ climbing the fence for the checker... You know its gotta happen eventually... And who's the dude with the backflip? I forget.

Pacridge said:
My daughter saw me watching Nascar today. She brought out a CD with some country guy, Cletus something I think??? Song was called "Nascar Races" Pretty funny really. Though I'm more of an AC/DC type.

Cletus T. Judd? Yeah, he does spoofs of country songs, much like Weird Al and his spoofs of pop/rock songs.

Apostle13 said:
Jeff and Dale are cool and I'll agree are lead contenders at Daytona... The only reason I like to see Tony win is cause I keep hoping he'll fall on his fat a$$ climbing the fence for the checker... You know its gotta happen eventually... And who's the dude with the backflip? I forget.

Not a huge fan of Jeff...or anyone from Hendrick, for that matter. Did you see that Jimmie Johnson's qualifying time from today has been disqualified? I think Jeff's is being questioned as well. Check out foxsports.com - my favorite site for info on NASCAR, aside from nascar.com, of course.....though I find that Fox Sports often has a lot more information than nascar.com.....Anyway, dude with the backflip is Carl Edwards. I have a love/hate relationship with him.....sometimes, he does some really stupid stuff that angers me, and last year, he kept causing my driver (Kasey Kahne) to get into a lot of wrecks, and then tried to blame Kasey for them, but if you watched the replay, it was clearly Carl's fault. Not saying Kasey's perfect, but.....yeah. But I have to like Carl just a little 'cause he looks almost exactly like my brother in law. :mrgreen:

Stace said:
Not a huge fan of Jeff...or anyone from Hendrick, for that matter. Did you see that Jimmie Johnson's qualifying time from today has been disqualified? I think Jeff's is being questioned as well. Check out foxsports.com - my favorite site for info on NASCAR, aside from nascar.com, of course.....though I find that Fox Sports often has a lot more information than nascar.com.....Anyway, dude with the backflip is Carl Edwards. I have a love/hate relationship with him.....sometimes, he does some really stupid stuff that angers me, and last year, he kept causing my driver (Kasey Kahne) to get into a lot of wrecks, and then tried to blame Kasey for them, but if you watched the replay, it was clearly Carl's fault. Not saying Kasey's perfect, but.....yeah. But I have to like Carl just a little 'cause he looks almost exactly like my brother in law. :mrgreen:
Oh yea... I do remember the strife between Edwards and Kahne. If I'm not mistaken it caused Kahne alot of grief in the points contention..? Definitly Edwards was the fault and he was all up in the mike suggesting otherwise at least on one occassion. Things happen so fast out there alot of times they don't even know till someone else tells them. I'll check Fox... Curious about the qualifying thing.

Stace said:
Cletus T. Judd? Yeah, he does spoofs of country songs, much like Weird Al and his spoofs of pop/rock songs.

It was funny, probably would have been more funny had I got the references.

Weird Al hasn't done anything funny for years, IMO.

Also had some song about Grandpa getting run over by a John Deere. and the 1st redneck on the internet. Hell I'd go see him...if I had a few drinks in me.

Apostle13 said:
Oh yea... I do remember the strife between Edwards and Kahne. If I'm not mistaken it caused Kahne alot of grief in the points contention..? Definitly Edwards was the fault and he was all up in the mike suggesting otherwise at least on one occassion. Things happen so fast out there alot of times they don't even know till someone else tells them. I'll check Fox... Curious about the qualifying thing.

Yeah, Kasey really got hurt points wise from some of those incidents....the one that really stands out in my mind is the first Pocono race, I believe that's the one where Edwards got all up in the mike as you put it :mrgreen:

nascar.com now has the story on Johnson as well...looks like his crew chief might be suspended...this doesn't surprise me...in my opinion, the 48 team got away with murder last year.

Pacridge said:
It was funny, probably would have been more funny had I got the references.

Weird Al hasn't done anything funny for years, IMO.

Also had some song about Grandpa getting run over by a John Deere. and the 1st redneck on the internet. Hell I'd go see him...if I had a few drinks in me.

If you have the opportunity, listen to/download (She's Got A Butt) Bigger Than The Beatles. That one never fails to crack me up.

I would not kick this man out of my bed for eating crackers:mrgreen:
10119631.jpg

Him either:mrgreen: :
Dale%20Earnhart%20Jr.jpg

Didn't they do WELL in the shootout, though? *sigh* Six more weeks til I get to Bristol!!!!

Well, I certainly wouldn't kick this man out of my bed....unless the hubby came home unexpectedly :2razz:

345%3C%3A8885%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D325%3B%3E973%3E949%3EWSNRCG%3D3233446548744nu0mrj

Poor Kasey would have done so much better last night if it weren't for that punk Kyle Busch.

Almost 13 weeks till I go to Darlington!!! Someone better let me ride on a golf cart or something.....I'm gonna be halfway through this pregnancy by then!!!

Hell, I'd be telling the hubby to wait his freakin turn...:2rofll:

ngdawg said:
Hell, I'd be telling the hubby to wait his freakin turn...:2rofll:

Unfortunately, I don't think that'd be a wise thing to say to a man with a gun strapped to his belt. :lol:

All right girls, time for a cold shower..LOL

ngdawg

I like Michael, I think he's a helluva driver. At DEI he was, of course, always the number 2 guy. We'll see how he does this year. I'd watch NASCAR just for his interviews. HA!

Tony, as usual, wasn't very flattering about restrictor plate racing in his post race comments. I can't say as I blame him, but it does make for some edge of your seat, last few laps of entertaining racing for the fans.

Carl Edwards-I like
Bush brothers-try to hard to be one of the good 'ol boys (you either got it or you don't, you can't manufacture it). Kyle too reckless, Kurt drove the same way when he first came up. He'll get schooled by the vets.

Anytime Michael is on tv, I stop what I'm doing to watch him. He stood in line at least twice to get that charisma! And he has the best sense of humor anywhere in sports.
Yes, he's a terrific driver and came too close to winning or placing top 10, but for bad luck(remember one of the last races of the season, he was first until nascar called him in for tire pressure, only to come back out into 10th and get wrecked? His remark on the radio-'thanks a lot, Nascar'.)
I didn't know that Earnhardt, Sr was the one who pulled him up into the (now)
Nextel series, against the advice of several-Michael had never won a race to that point, but Sr liked him.
What a lot of people don't see is how analytical a driver Michael is-it doesn't always work in his favor, but when he sees an opening, he knows when and how to take it and rarely does so with risk. Maybe being a bit more risky would have gotten him better finishes? I hate that drivers like Johnson and Busch have to play dirty, blame others, etc., to try and win. Michael doesn't. I use Nascar.com's raceday scanners and when I have his on, you hear more of his spotter and crew than him. And when he does speak, he is usually brief-except for times like when Busch hit him-then he can let it fly :) When Jr is on the radio, he talks a lot-when he gets silent, he's a better driver-in fact on several occasions, they have had to ask him to please reply, but when that silence comes, he's usually pushing to the front or being a bit more risky. His best radio moment that no one will ever hear on tv? "I'm driving a f&*&$ing piece of s*&% here!!!!" Uh, ok, Jr....

Yea those guys are good... But I better not find'm in my bed eating anything. As far as drivers go we men have little to choose from... And then there's Danica:
danica121.jpg

danica109.jpg
I keep hearing she got a sight on NASCAR...

Last edited:
ngdawg said:
Anytime Michael is on tv, I stop what I'm doing to watch him. He stood in line at least twice to get that charisma! And he has the best sense of humor anywhere in sports.
Yes, he's a terrific driver and came too close to winning or placing top 10, but for bad luck(remember one of the last races of the season, he was first until nascar called him in for tire pressure, only to come back out into 10th and get wrecked? His remark on the radio-'thanks a lot, Nascar'.)
I didn't know that Earnhardt, Sr was the one who pulled him up into the (now)
Nextel series, against the advice of several-Michael had never won a race to that point, but Sr liked him.
What a lot of people don't see is how analytical a driver Michael is-it doesn't always work in his favor, but when he sees an opening, he knows when and how to take it and rarely does so with risk. Maybe being a bit more risky would have gotten him better finishes? I hate that drivers like Johnson and Busch have to play dirty, blame others, etc., to try and win. Michael doesn't. I use Nascar.com's raceday scanners and when I have his on, you hear more of his spotter and crew than him. And when he does speak, he is usually brief-except for times like when Busch hit him-then he can let it fly :) When Jr is on the radio, he talks a lot-when he gets silent, he's a better driver-in fact on several occasions, they have had to ask him to please reply, but when that silence comes, he's usually pushing to the front or being a bit more risky. His best radio moment that no one will ever hear on tv? "I'm driving a f&*&$ing piece of s*&% here!!!!" Uh, ok, Jr....

Kasey's the same way, in that he doesn't play dirty. He had that ONE incident with Kyle Busch last year, and quite honestly, I can't blame him for what he did. It was a little unnecessary, but in the heat of competition like that, I see where he was coming from. And then Robby Gordon throwing his helmet that same race....freakin' priceless. Kasey is also usually pretty quiet on the radio, and that goes two ways: He doesn't say much, but when he does.....it is so freakin' hard to hear him 'cause he's one of those soft spoken boys. I'm really gonna miss having Tommy Baldwin as his crew chief, it was always entertaining listening to him. But I'm mad at Tommy now...he left Evernham to start his own thing, or so the story went....and the next thing you know, he's getting hired by Yates. Traitor.

Apostle13 said:
Yea those guys are good... But I better not find'm in my bed eating anything. As far as drivers go we men have little to choose from... And then there's Danica:
View attachment 1626

View attachment 1627
I keep hearing she got a sight on NASCAR...

There's always Erin Crocker.....

herbieprea.jpg

Not quite Danica, but the girl does have some skill.

Can y'all tell that I am a complete Evernham supporter? :mrgreen:

OMG................the women have invaded our precious love of sports...........I really don't know how to respond........:3oops: Anyway, go fast and turn left you fools!!!!:2wave:

This bozo needs to be sent packing. For good:
http://aolsvc.sports.aol.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/cup/02/13/jjohnson.knaus.suspension/index.html" (when y'all gonna get the script link fixed?)
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Jimmie Johnson will be without crew chief Chad Knaus for Sunday's Daytona 500 and perhaps for as many as two more Nextel Cup races.

Knaus suspendedMarty Snider discusses Chad Knaus' penalty with Mark Spoor
NASCAR TodayChad Knaus won't be atop the pit box for the Daytona 500

Crew chief Chad Knaus faces possible suspension for altering the height of the rear window in driver Jimmie Johnson's car before Sunday's qualifying for the Daytona 500.

On Monday, Knaus was suspended from the Daytona 500 and all other activities leading up to the race, just 24 hours after Johnson's car failed post-qualifying inspection in the rear window area.

Sources close to NASCAR said Knaus likely will receive further suspensions for California and possibly Las Vegas, reminding that Todd Berrier was suspended for four weeks and fined $25,000 last season for doctoring a fuel cell on Kevin Harvick's car at Las Vegas.

An appeal to reduce Berrier's suspension was rejected by the National Stock Car Racing Association.

Knaus could appeal further suspensions, but there is no appeal for this week because Knaus technically was ejected.

"In the NASCAR rule book, we can take emergency action to eject somebody from an event,'' NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said. "That's what we used here.''

Sources said Knaus was ejected because there was a device that raised the rear window of Johnson's car, giving it an aerodynamic advantage in qualifying. Hunter would not comment on the specifics that helped Johnson to the fifth-fastest time, but said the violation was considered a blatant attempt to break the rules.

He added that NASCAR president Mike Helton hopes Knaus' penalty sends a message to the rest of the garage.

"This is a new season, a new day, and he is determined to get this season started off to where guys get the message that we're not going to tolerate this,'' Hunter said. "Guys have to understand how far they can push things.''

Darian Grubb, the lead engineer for Johnson and Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jeff Gordon, will assume Knaus' responsibilities for the rest of the week.

"It's obviously disappointing to miss the biggest race of the year, but I'm confident in Darian and the rest of my teammates,'' Knaus said in a prepared statement. "There's been a lot of effort put into the Daytona 500, and I know the team will be successful with the support they'll receive from the entire organization.''

Team owner Rick Hendrick agreed.

"We understand NASCAR's position,'' he said. "Our expectations for the team remain high. It's a deep, championship-caliber group and they'll step up this weekend.''

This is not the first time Knaus has faced penalties from NASCAR. He was suspended for two races and fined $35,000, Johnson was penalized 25 driver points and Hendrick 25 owner points after it was determined the roof height was too low after last season's race at Las Vegas.

The suspension later was overruled, but the fine and points reduction were not.

The height of Johnson's car also was questioned last fall at Dover, after which NASCAR passed a rule outlawing the shock configuration the team had developed.

"There are gray areas we expect teams to exploit,'' Hunter said. "We know everybody is looking for every little advantage. But when these templates don't fit, they don't fit. It's not fair to the other competitors to let one team get way with it.''

Johnson must start at the rear of the field in the first of Thursday's 150-mile qualifying races that will determine the final 41 positions for the Daytona 500.

Jeff Burton won the pole and Gordon qualified second on Sunday when only the front row was determined.

Terry Labonte, driving he No. 96 car for Hall of Fame Racing with an engine prepared by Joe Gibbs Racing, also had his time disallowed because of an illegal carburetor.

He will start from the rear of the field on Thursday, and additional penalties for that car could follow.

"We're very serious about this,'' Hunter said. "We've got to make sure everybody plays by the same rules.''******

Chad Knaus is a dirty player and his driver a dirty, blame-throwing driver, both of whom will do or try anything thinking they can come in under the radar and win a race. They've been fined, suspended, etc., and still try underhanded BS....if they can't win or even qualify without their stupid little tricks, they shouldn't be in this sport and it undermines any talent Johnson 'might' have.

Nascar is big in rural areas, not just the south. I really don't get it. I used to live by an interstate and I didn't find watching traffic interesting. I don't see how going to a race is any better. You get to see each driver a few seconds of every minute. I can drink beer anywhere. And yes I know about all the women flashing in the trailer area. I have played in bands, I have seen plenty of boobs. There are many places to see them, I won't be going to a race to see them though.

independent_thinker2002 said:
Nascar is big in rural areas, not just the south. I really don't get it. I used to live by an interstate and I didn't find watching traffic interesting. I don't see how going to a race is any better. You get to see each driver a few seconds of every minute. I can drink beer anywhere. And yes I know about all the women flashing in the trailer area. I have played in bands, I have seen plenty of boobs. There are many places to see them, I won't be going to a race to see them though.

Trust me, it is much more interesting than all of that. And I've never lived in a rural area my entire life.....small towns, sure, but nothing I would consider rural. Granted, this season will only be my third as a NASCAR fan.....but I also now live in the second largest city in the state. Second largest banking capital in the country.

Oh, and I live within about an hour of most of the racing teams.....and a bunch of the drivers, too. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, if you're not a fan, seeing a race on TV is pretty boring. The year before my husband's family got me into racing, I used to go visit my in laws a lot (hubby was in Iraq, so I spent a lot of time with his family...nearly every weekend). I'd have to leave the room whenever his dad would turn the races on 'cause I thought they were the most boring things in the world.

And then, I WENT to a race. And there is just something about being at the track and seeing and hearing it all in person that is just incredibly exhilarating. And I've been a fan ever since.

Stace said:
Trust me, it is much more interesting than all of that. And I've never lived in a rural area my entire life.....small towns, sure, but nothing I would consider rural. Granted, this season will only be my third as a NASCAR fan.....but I also now live in the second largest city in the state. Second largest banking capital in the country.

Oh, and I live within about an hour of most of the racing teams.....and a bunch of the drivers, too. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, if you're not a fan, seeing a race on TV is pretty boring. The year before my husband's family got me into racing, I used to go visit my in laws a lot (hubby was in Iraq, so I spent a lot of time with his family...nearly every weekend). I'd have to leave the room whenever his dad would turn the races on 'cause I thought they were the most boring things in the world.

And then, I WENT to a race. And there is just something about being at the track and seeing and hearing it all in person that is just incredibly exhilarating. And I've been a fan ever since.
There is certainly nothing rural about where I live...Daytona area, and especially if you place Orlando in the mix, about a 45 minute drive. NASCAR is a BIG phenomenon attracting quite a diverse mix of peoples...Seemingly the drivers themselves are good ol' boyz, but even that is evolving quite rapidly. I'm with Stace on the whole you have to be there thing to really begin to appreciate what it is... Personally I don't much get into the drama and controversies surrounding the drivers... While colorful and all... I just morely appreciate the race action... And do have my favorites.
...But I should like to admit, I watch for the wrecks. I'm am strictly the Super Speedway Sort... Restrictor plates SUCK!!! But they do save lives and I am all for that.:mrgreen:

Anyway ya'll its raining down here and I live only 5 miles from the track... Actually it just stopped so the Gatorade Qualifiers might have some delay. I'm not going today... I'll be there Sunday for the big one:cool:

Apostle13 said:
Anyway ya'll its raining down here and I live only 5 miles from the track... Actually it just stopped so the Gatorade Qualifiers might have some delay. I'm not going today... I'll be there Sunday for the big one:cool:

You lucky, lucky person.

I lived in the Daytona area when I was way younger....between the ages of 3 and 7, to be exact. My stepfather did some sort of bike race on the track....I've got a picture of my brother and I standing in Victory Lane. Ah, little did I know how important that picture would become to me one day.....

Back
Top Bottom