• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My Parrot may have PTSD

tuesday, september 19 is pirate day. you will be the hit of lowes and pet smart walking in as a pirate with your parrot on your shoulder
both of you need to be practicing your pirate-talk
LOVE IT 😊
I remember “pirate day” from college-
With 7 months to prepare???

Victory will be delicious!🏴‍☠️

That's cool you can regain their trust. I'm incredibly impressed with parrots but simply do not have the time to give them the proper care that they need.

Maybe if and when I retire I will rescue a couple. I hear it's better if you get two as the are very social

Definitely better to have two @CLAX1911 . They are very social beings.

If you consider it when you retire I will say that you will be in for a lot of fun. We've fostered many birds, including a few African Greys. They constantly had me in stitches.

Definitely better to have two @CLAX1911 . They are very social beings.

If you consider it when you retire I will say that you will be in for a lot of fun. We've fostered many birds, including a few African Greys. They constantly had me in stitches.
I wouldn't want to get a young one when I retired because they live so long. But there's so many rescue things and stuff back people got them as pets and we're not ready for them.

I wouldn't want to get a young one when I retired because they live so long. But there's so many rescue things and stuff back people got them as pets and we're not ready for them.
I’m still a bit intimidated by the life span- Finn/Fiona is a sun conure and we brought him home when he was 6 mos old. Total life span of 30-35 years! I’m in my 40’s, and it’s not a stretch this critter will outlive me.
I can only hope and pray my 16 yr old follows thru on her promise to keep him. They’re fairly attached to each other, which is good.
He’s such a good little guy, too- very good company. But very high maintenance.
The darn bird is literally in my will ‘just in case’ — and now I reeeeeally feel old…

I’m still a bit intimidated by the life span- Finn/Fiona is a sun conure and we brought him home when he was 6 mos old. Total life span of 30-35 years! I’m in my 40’s, and it’s not a stretch this critter will outlive me.
I can only hope and pray my 16 yr old follows thru on her promise to keep him. They’re fairly attached to each other, which is good.
He’s such a good little guy, too- very good company. But very high maintenance.
The darn bird is literally in my will ‘just in case’ — and now I reeeeeally feel old…
That's good. So many people get them then they pass away and the poor bird is left behind. You're a responsible pet owner and care about your pet that's good.

My dad had a Sulpher Crested Cockatoo. We took him in after he died, and he really grieved for him. My husband moved his cage to a window that overlooked the bird feeders in the back yard. He liked seeing other birds, it seemed, and really liked to be outside in nice weather.

Yup, exactly. People have no idea what a big responsibility they are. They make puppies look easy. Lots of them end up in rescue, which while bad, is better than the idiots who simply turn them loose.

I tell you, you have to consider it. You will have more laughs than you can imagine. They can be so extremely entertaining!

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a very contrasting story.

My parents took a trip to So Cal one year and my younger sister was with them. They happened to meet a man who bred Sulphur crested cockatiels and sold sold them to retail outlets. He was happy to show my family around his operation. It turned out he had one cockatiel that was born with a lame wing and could not fly. He could not breed this bird or sell it to a retail store so he gave the bird to my sister.

The bird was brought home and as is often the case, my sister soon lost interest in the bird. It fell to me, a college student, to take care of her, which I thoroughly embraced. The bird was in the habit of chirping and singing whenever I was present.

One day, I was home alone and the cockatiel was singing away, but today it was different. She was animated and squawking up a storm. I went to her cage to see what the issue was. Seeing nothing wrong, I suddenly realized she was not the only bird I was hearing. There was a window in the bird's line of sight, and as I looked out the window, I could see another cockatiel in the tree outside! The two of them were talking to each other! This other bird was obviously a runaway who had lost his way home. He was in a very hostile environment and probably would not survive long, as cats, other wild birds, and other predators would kill him if he did die of starvation or dehydration.

I took our bird out of her cage and placed her on my shoulder, a favorite perch of hers. Her claws held tightly to my shirt. She knew she couldn't fly, and if she were to try, she would simply flutter to the floor. I slowly walked outside to the tree. Once there, the two birds intensified their conversation.

Then, right out of a Walt Disney animated feature, I extended my left arm out like a tree branch. The newcomer immediately understood my intentions and flew down to light on my hand! I then placed the bird on my other shoulder next to my bird.

We went into the house, I placed the two birds in the cage, and as the story is supposed to go, they lived happily ever after.

Back
Top Bottom