• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My Parrot may have PTSD

I got a new pet amazon parrot and it does not like to be handled. It keeps biting me and it seems always angry.

Anyway to treat a bird with PTSD?
Think he/she is just ticked off, being locked up in a cage instead of being free to fly around the rainforest? :unsure:

I've worked with dogs who suffer from the stress of being abandoned then getting locked up in a kennel. Takes time, patience and compassion, and even then some never recover.

I got a new pet amazon parrot and it does not like to be handled. It keeps biting me and it seems always angry.

Sounds as if the Parrot's previous owners were permanently enraged lefties and he absorbed their temperaments.

I have two parakeets that weren’t tame when I got them and didn’t like being “handled.” I’ve been bitten numerous times by both. Unless your bird was hand raised by humans after they hatched, he/she is not automatically tame. Even if your parrot was hand raised, you’re a new person to him/her and you have to put in the work to earn the bird’s trust.

I had a yellow headed Amazon like that.

It took years, then I gave him away (I got him from my brother)

from my ancient childhood, i seem to recall a cat by the name of sylvester, which seemed to keep a bird, tweedy, in line ... or at least tried to

maybe bucky needs a cat

Awww!

Need more info on parrot. Yes, it’s treatable. But it really is a commitment- especially for the bird.
I say this as a Mom to one- they’re super intelligent & more like a kid than a dog or cat- think 5 yr old vs 2 yr old on average.

Do you know his/her history?
Do you know age?

Am happy to answer anything I can help with-

Seeing these replies, shame on Pet Lovers, DP.
Disappointed ☹️
i so agree:

PET LOVERS of Debate Politics
SHAME ON YOU
QUIT LOVING YOUR PETS !!!!!!!!!!!

guess we showed them

Get a cat and let the cat sit on the table and stare into the birdcage. It will either make the PTSD worse, or force the damn bird buck it up and stop acting like a spoiled brat.

Maybe buy a Cornish game hen, cook it up and let the parrot watch the cat eat it in front of the parrot

Respect is a learned trait.

Yes, get a second parrot they are highly social creatures and they need a flock.

Get a cat and let the cat sit on the table and stare into the birdcage. It will either make the PTSD worse, or force the damn bird buck it up and stop acting like a spoiled brat.

Maybe buy a Cornish game hen, cook it up and let the parrot watch the cat eat it in front of the parrot

Respect is a learned trait.
Lol that's ghoulish.

I inherited a cat who was very much the same. You have to identify the threshold where the defensive behavior kicks in, then keep pushing that boundary in very small increments.

For some animals, it might be too much just to be in the same room, so you walk in and walk out until they get used to that. Then you stay a bit longer, etc.

For my cat, once she was fine with me approaching her, I could pet her on the head, but touching her anywhere else resulted in hissing and biting. So, I'd barely touch her on the back then not react to her response whatsoever. Do it again the next day. Again, the next. Always mixed in with head pats and food and play and things she enjoyed. Eventually, you start to get less of a reaction, so you let your hand linger a bit longer, but not to the point where you're triggering fear.

Rinse, repeat. It takes a while, but it works. Slow going at first but eventually the animal catches on. You're showing patience and building trust.

I inherited a cat who was very much the same. You have to identify the threshold where the defensive behavior kicks in, then keep pushing that boundary in very small increments.

For some animals, it might be too much just to be in the same room, so you walk in and walk out until they get used to that. Then you stay a bit longer, etc.

For my cat, once she was fine with me approaching her, I could pet her on the head, but touching her anywhere else resulted in hissing and biting. So, I'd barely touch her on the back then not react to her response whatsoever. Do it again the next day. Again, the next. Always mixed in with head pats and food and play and things she enjoyed. Eventually, you start to get less of a reaction, so you let your hand linger a bit longer, but not to the point where you're triggering fear.

Rinse, repeat. It takes a while, but it works. Slow going at first but eventually the animal catches on. You're showing patience and building trust.
I have a cat move into my front porch area. Totally feral at first now he’ll rub up against me and let me pet him. I think I actually tamed him more than I meant to.

Treat him as you would a naughty toddler. He thrives on attention, so when he bites you, put him in time out and walk away.

Also, if he was not handled much by his previous owners, he needs some training and coaching in that regard. LOTS of patience. Never yell at him when he bites. Make sure you hold out your hand/finger for him to perch on, and absolutely positively DON'T move you hand. Steady steady steady. Keep your voice very calm at all times.

Give him plenty of toys and other things to keep him busy. Parrots love everything from cardboard to mirrors to rope toys.

Maybe he read your other forum posts.

Awww!

Need more info on parrot. Yes, it’s treatable. But it really is a commitment- especially for the bird.
I say this as a Mom to one- they’re super intelligent & more like a kid than a dog or cat- think 5 yr old vs 2 yr old on average.

Do you know his/her history?
Do you know age?

Am happy to answer anything I can help with-

We fostered a Moluccan for over a year. He was abused by his previous owners and when we first took him, oh what a nightmare! He was a major project but after 13 months he was loving and funny as Hell. We had some coats made for him so he could come outside for walks, even in winter. He loved to see dogs and people, he would call out to them (when he wasn't barking at the dogs).

Patience. Major and massive patience. And learning to walk away when he acted up to get our attention. Eventually, like a toddler, he learned that bad behavior got him nothing and good behavior got him rewarded.

We fostered a Moluccan for over a year. He was abused by his previous owners and when we first took him, oh what a nightmare! He was a major project but after 13 months he was loving and funny as Hell. We had some coats made for him so he could come outside for walks, even in winter. He loved to see dogs and people, he would call out to them (when he wasn't barking at the dogs).

Patience. Major and massive patience. And learning to walk away when he acted up to get our attention. Eventually, like a toddler, he learned that bad behavior got him nothing and good behavior got him rewarded.
That's cool you can regain their trust. I'm incredibly impressed with parrots but simply do not have the time to give them the proper care that they need.

Maybe if and when I retire I will rescue a couple. I hear it's better if you get two as the are very social

That’s great advice- patience is key, and of course, building trust. From the birds pov- if every time a giant hand reached for me it hurt or was unpleasant- I’d react, too.
But after having dogs and cats all my life, this is the first parrot I’ve owned- and it’s a very different relationship and so worth it if the owner sticks with it.
I’m currently trying to get mine on a harness so I can take him outside, to pet smart, Lowe’s, etc. he loves riding on my shoulder and loves people watching.

That’s great advice- patience is key, and of course, building trust. From the birds pov- if every time a giant hand reached for me it hurt or was unpleasant- I’d react, too.
But after having dogs and cats all my life, this is the first parrot I’ve owned- and it’s a very different relationship and so worth it if the owner sticks with it.
I’m currently trying to get mine on a harness so I can take him outside, to pet smart, Lowe’s, etc. he loves riding on my shoulder and loves people watching.
tuesday, september 19 is pirate day. you will be the hit of lowes and pet smart walking in as a pirate with your parrot on your shoulder
both of you need to be practicing your pirate-talk

Back
Top Bottom