• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My herbs are wilting!!

Last week, a couple warm days caused my (barely started) squash to flower? I hadn't thought of this factor as I'm a tropical guy.

Wow- I haven't even planted my squash seeds yet, but am planning to today. :lol:
I'm not sure how much the heat forces squash to flower, but I know that it has that effect on cilantro in this area. When the rest of my herbs do well in the same garden bed, and the cilantro starts flowering way too early, I guess I'm just making an assumption.

The only south-facing window I have is in our bedroom, and it's a sliding-glass door. I don't really have any way to set the herbs up there. If it were warmer, I could put them in the "shed" the old homeowners built onto the backside of the house, but it's still a little chilly outside.

Let 'em have a little more sunshine?

Re the water, good advice in earlier threads. I too have learned the hard way about water. Am currently disgusted with a variagated "prayer plant" that has done fine for six months but is now unhappy. Can't get dry, and can't be overwatered either, but I am giving him little showers every day. Had the same problem with an Oxalyis (burgundy shamrock). Finally named him "Hamlet" because of his dithering and told him to just die already. "Ophelia," acquired at the same time but from a different nursery, has always been just fine. :(

Let 'em have a little more sunshine?

Re the water, good advice in earlier threads. I too have learned the hard way about water. Am currently disgusted with a variagated "prayer plant" that has done fine for six months but is now unhappy. Can't get dry, and can't be overwatered either, but I am giving him little showers every day. Had the same problem with an Oxalyis (burgundy shamrock). Finally named him "Hamlet" because of his dithering and told him to just die already. "Ophelia," acquired at the same time but from a different nursery, has always been just fine. :(

Something I learned in a seminar last summer was over fertilization of both fields, gardens and house plants. Some folks use balanced fertilizer (eg. 10-10-10) exclusively. This is sometimes damaging as the phosphorous and potash will build up overtime and create salts in the soil and create the wet/dry sensitivity you describe (and other problems). Unfortunately there is no way to amend for this in fields/gardens else allowing them to go fallow until the imbalance ‘autocorrects’ over time. In potted plants one can simply repot with new soil. They advised to use nitrogen based fertilizer (eg. 20-0-0) only when starting with balanced potting soils or if a soil test reports balance (sufficient K/pot).

Back
Top Bottom