• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My aching back!

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I haven't tried this (the Stuart McGill exercises in the article), yet, but I found the below very interesting.

Addendum: America’s most famous back guru

No back pain article would be complete without a mention of the late John Sarno, an NYU professor of rehabilitation medicine and probably America’s best-known back guru. He believed there is an emotional basis for all chronic back pain. More specifically, he thought that the brain distracts us from experiencing negative emotions by creating pain. We may not want to accept the uncomfortable truths that we are angry with our children, or that we hate our job, so instead of thinking those thoughts, we focus on the pain.

Howard Stern talked about this five years ago and he says that it transformed his health.
I've been following a similar regimen and I've noticed distinct improvements in my overall health.
I think a fair bit of the health problems people encounter as they age are related to their overall back health and fitness.
Once your back begins to decline in fitness, you begin to walk differently and everyone knows that if your walking is compromised, that begins to cause numerous other issues.
When you see an old man or old lady all stooped over due to spinal issues, you also notice that they walk by shuffling one foot in front of the other, yes?
Healthy people with good back fitness use their BUTTOCK and LEG muscles to walk. They also use the muscles in their feet, and even their toes, yes?
Your back also influences the fitness of your abdomen, your CORE.

Everything in our body is connected.

I haven't tried this (the Stuart McGill exercises in the article), yet, but I found the below very interesting.

No back pain article would be complete without a mention of the late John Sarno, an NYU professor of rehabilitation medicine and probably America’s best-known back guru. He believed there is an emotional basis for all chronic back pain. More specifically, he thought that the brain distracts us from experiencing negative emotions by creating pain. We may not want to accept the uncomfortable truths that we are angry with our children, or that we hate our job, so instead of thinking those thoughts, we focus on the pain.

Good luck with the back. My dad has hideous back pain from a disk problem.

He believed there is an emotional basis for all chronic back pain.
Some people believe the earth is flat.

Plenty of people have actual physical reasons for back pain. Some jerkwad trying to broad-brush it all as mental might as well be selling snake oil in carnivals.

Some people believe the earth is flat.

Plenty of people have actual physical reasons for back pain. Some jerkwad trying to broad-brush it all as mental might as well be selling snake oil in carnivals.
I doubt anyone claims there is no physical reason for pain.

My back goes out a few times a year; usually for dumb reasons like getting out of the car wrong. There's no thinking my way out of it. These days, i use a cane until it heals. I'm starting to try stretching at the beginning of the day. I also wear a back brace sometimes.

I herniated a disk 20 yrs ago and had back surgery that failed. It left me somewhat debilitated the last two decades with sciatica and mobility problems. I've tried everything in the book with little success. I use ice packs, NSAIDS, anti-inflammatory supplements, and muscle relaxers.

Pain pills help the most are but are intolerable for long term use due to side effects and tolerance build up.

exercise exercise exercise

Never stop moving, if you can move

My back goes out a few times a year; usually for dumb reasons like getting out of the car wrong. There's no thinking my way out of it. These days, i use a cane until it heals. I'm starting to try stretching at the beginning of the day. I also wear a back brace sometimes.

For me, it's my neck....and getting out of bed.

Not as debilitating but a sizeable pain in the ass for some days. Have to sit/walk just so, etc. All because I pivoted a little strangely as I stood up....

For me, it's my neck....and getting out of bed.

Not as debilitating but a sizeable pain in the ass for some days. Have to sit/walk just so, etc. All because I pivoted a little strangely as I stood up....

Yeah, I still have yet to figure out what causes that. I use a heated rice bag, but it only helps a little bit.

Yeah, I still have yet to figure out what causes that. I use a heated rice bag, but it only helps a little bit.
My neck issues usually are exacerbated by too much time on my laptop.
Hunched over while doing crossword puzzles is another aggravating activity.
I know a couple people who have gained relief by elevating their computers/keyboards.
The elevated position forces them to sit in a more upright position with a straighter neck.

There isn’t a living person over 50 who doesn’t have something wrong with their back - whether they feel pain or not. It is the nature of beast for a species that evolved from quadripeds and tree dwellers but whose spines really didn’t change all that much.

I herniated a disk 20 yrs ago and had back surgery that failed. It left me somewhat debilitated the last two decades with sciatica and mobility problems. I've tried everything in the book with little success. I use ice packs, NSAIDS, anti-inflammatory supplements, and muscle relaxers.
I've known a few people who have had "failed" back surgeries.
The very nature and location of the surgery seems to be inherently risky.

Pain pills help the most are but are intolerable for long term use due to side effects and tolerance build up.
Opiate addiction is a real risk.
Minimizing their use is a wise decision on your part.

I doubt anyone claims there is no physical reason for pain.
Except the guy mentioned in your OP claims just that.......

Back
Top Bottom