• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mothers Demonstrate Both For and Against War

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Moms of Dead Troops to Gather for Protest By JENNIFER C. KERR, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 32 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Diane Ibbotson and H. Elaine Johnson are grieving mothers. Both lost sons in Iraq, and both feel strongly enough about the war to travel to the nation's capital for demonstrations. That is where the similarities end.

Johnson will be protesting the war, while Ibbotson will be speaking out in support of the military action.

Organizers of Saturday's anti-war protest predict about 100,000 people will crowd the Ellipse near the White House for a rally and march. Among those expected are Cindy Sheehan, the California mother who drew thousands of protesters to her 26-day vigil outside President Bush's Texas ranch last month.

Sheehan's 24-year-old son, Casey, was killed in an ambush in Sadr City, Iraq, last year. Ibbotson's son, Forest Jostes, was killed in the same ambush.

Ibbotson, from Albion, Ill., said war protesters dishonor the service of her son and others who have died.

"There are families who lose children in accidents, in tragic illnesses. Young people die and it seems without a purpose," said Ibbotson, whose son was 21. "My son gave his life for a cause that he believed in. He fought and died for God and country."

Ibbotson is part of the Iowa-based group Families United for Our Troops. She's one of 25 "Gold Star" families who lost loved ones in Afghanistan or Iraq who will speak at a news conference Saturday morning and then attend a rally for military families on the Mall on Sunday.

Johnson, from Orangeburg, S.C., lost her son, Darius Jennings, when his Chinook helicopter was shot down in Iraq in November 2003. The United States, she said, should not have invaded Iraq.

"My son gave his life for his country," she said. "The war was a mistake from the beginning, so my son died for oil."

Darius Jennings was 22. Johnson says she will continue to speak out against the war until the last soldier is brought home.

Johnson joined Cindy Sheehan and other mothers against the war for a small rally near the Washington Monument on Friday. They spoke just a few feet from 1,000 white wooden crosses tucked into the grass to symbolize the more than 1,900 members of the U.S. military who have died since the beginning of the war in March 2003.

More than 40 sets of black military boots also symbolize war dead.

Ken and Linda Martin came from Pentwater, Mich., for Saturday's anti-war protest.

"Just get the kids home," said Ken, who's 70. Linda, 65, said she'd rather see America's tax dollars spent on problems at home like areas damaged by hurricanes and underfunded schools.

Anti-war protesters will march to the front of the White House and down to the Justice Department before circling back to the Washington Monument for an 11-hour concert and rally featuring folk singer Joan Baez. War supporters will line part of the march route.

Other anti-war protests are planned Saturday in San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle.

___

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050923...LjQ2wwi;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

They both have there rights and feelings! And NO "REAL AMERICAN" should question and BASH them like they did to CINDY!!! Although in fairness the CONS only BASHED Cindy to try and protect their GOD BUSH!!! If Bush wasn't President they "probably" would have acted like "REAL AMERICANS"!!!
Who knows???

A constant thread of the anti-war crowd is the lies the govt. has allegedly committed.Given that ,you would think they would be careful to be as truthful as possible.Not the case , lies and gross exagerations are the sign of anti-war demonstrators.Just like violence was a hall mark of Viet Nam peace demonstrators. Lies is the hall mark of the America haters that populate the anti war movement.

American population = 295,734,134

War protest population in Washington = 2,000

Bwahahahaha. Some of that 2,000 was protesting against the anti-war protester. What a joke.

taxpayer said:
They both have there rights and feelings! And NO "REAL AMERICAN" should question and BASH them like they did to CINDY!!! Although in fairness the CONS only BASHED Cindy to try and protect their GOD BUSH!!! If Bush wasn't President they "probably" would have acted like "REAL AMERICANS"!!!
Who knows???

Well you know, I feel really bad for Cindy. I feel like she had to learn things the hard way. It's harsh world out their, and their are people who are willing to sacrafice your kids lives for absolutely no reason at all. Every single time I look at Bush's cabinet I feel some disgust. The reason being is you see just about every one of them used to be from oil companies. Alot of the money that Bush in office came from oil companies. That leads me to scratch my head and think "Hey, even in the vert least we have a conflict of interest here." At the very least, their is a conflict of interest in who is in power right now. I think we need serious campaign finance reform and we need to limit the influence of lobbyists and special interest groups. You have to look beyond Bush to understand what is formulating US policy.

JOHNYJ said:
A constant thread of the anti-war crowd is the lies the govt. has allegedly committed.Given that ,you would think they would be careful to be as truthful as possible.Not the case , lies and gross exagerations are the sign of anti-war demonstrators.Just like violence was a hall mark of Viet Nam peace demonstrators. Lies is the hall mark of the America haters that populate the anti war movement.

The anti-war crowd also has an agenda and I think it is wise for one not to completely trust the anti-war crowd either. They are willing to use anti-war sentiment to push their agenda through.

I think the singing grannies made fools out of themselves. Not because of the singing itself, but the lyrics. "Bush lies" is getting old. Time to sing a new tune.

Batman said:
I think the singing grannies made fools out of themselves. Not because of the singing itself, but the lyrics. "Bush lies" is getting old. Time to sing a new tune.

Definately, something cool.

TimmyBoy said:
Well you know, I feel really bad for Cindy. I feel like she had to learn things the hard way. It's harsh world out their, and their are people who are willing to sacrafice your kids lives for absolutely no reason at all. Every single time I look at Bush's cabinet I feel some disgust. The reason being is you see just about every one of them used to be from oil companies. Alot of the money that Bush in office came from oil companies. That leads me to scratch my head and think "Hey, even in the vert least we have a conflict of interest here." At the very least, their is a conflict of interest in who is in power right now. I think we need serious campaign finance reform and we need to limit the influence of lobbyists and special interest groups. You have to look beyond Bush to understand what is formulating US policy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well said! But Bush is President now so its all on his watch now!

GySgt said:

War protest population in Washington = 2,000

Bwahahahaha. Some of that 2,000 was protesting against the anti-war protester. What a joke.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yup! There were only a handfull protesting the Anti-War protesters!
Guess Bush and his LIBERATING WAR doesn't have that much support anymore!

-------------
Total protesting AGAINST the Anti-War crowd = A hand full! What a joke!

taxpayer said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yup! There were only a handfull protesting the Anti-War protesters!
Guess Bush and his LIBERATING WAR doesn't have that much support anymore!

-------------
Total protesting AGAINST the Anti-War crowd = A hand full! What a joke!

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, unless you are meaning to say that nobody else cared to give these whiners the time a day.

Back
Top Bottom