• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

More Near Earth Objects found

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Quiet - thankfully - but important work.
They're even trying to get their arms around some solutions if need be.. lest we go the way of the dinosaurs.

Space probe finds 72 new objects near Earth - CNN.com
Amanda Barnett - April 7, 2016

[......] But do you see the space rocks that could plunge into our planet, causing major destruction?
NASA does.
It's using a spacecraft called the Near-Earth Object Wide-field Survey Explorer, known as NEOWISE, to track near-Earth objects -- asteroids and comets -- that could hit our planet.

NEOWISE has discovered 72 new NEOs since 2013. The tally includes 8 objects that are classified as potentially hazardous asteroids -- asteroids that could one day approach or hit Earth.

NEOWISE also is helping scientists study space rocks detected earlier by ground-based telescopes. It's provided new information on a total of 439 NEOs previously detected by those telescopes.

"NEOWISE discovers large, dark, near-Earth objects, complementing our network of ground-based telescopes operating at visible-light wavelengths. On average, these objects are many hundreds of meters across," Amy Mainzer, NEOWISE principal investigator, said in a news release.

If you combine the number of NEOs spotted by the satellite with the ones identified by ground-based telescopes, a total of 14,246 NEOs had been detected as of this week.
[......]

Last edited:
Very important work. I am strongly in favor of coming up with solutions well before we ever need them.

More reasons not to pay your taxes next year.

They're even trying to get their arms around some solutions if need be.. lest we go the way of the dinosaurs.

These are why we need to shelve the Mars projects and focus on near Earth. Not only do we need to be able to protect ourselves from NEO's, we should be working on ways to take advantage of the resources they provide. We could be getting all the research benefits that people keep saying justify a Mars trip, but we are also protecting ourselves from EXTINCTION and possibly accessing resources that could make getting to Mars FAR more affordable.

Very important work. I am strongly in favor of coming up with solutions well before we ever need them.
A planet killer is already out there somewhere as we speak, quietly smashing through the dark voids of space on an inevitable collision course with Earth; and the only hope for our beautiful little blue planet is technology!

These are why we need to shelve the Mars projects and focus on near Earth. Not only do we need to be able to protect ourselves from NEO's, we should be working on ways to take advantage of the resources they provide. We could be getting all the research benefits that people keep saying justify a Mars trip, but we are also protecting ourselves from EXTINCTION and possibly accessing resources that could make getting to Mars FAR more affordable.
I was never in the Mars fan club, seemed pretty boring, but it does hold some incites on what could happen to earth-like planets.
It had water, an atmosphere, and....
Of course, growing up on Star Trek, and a watching the first moon landing, I was hoping we'd be way out there by now. Unrealistic of course, until the propulsion problem is solved, if ever.

A planet killer is already out there somewhere as we speak, quietly smashing through the dark voids of space on an inevitable collision course with Earth; and the only hope for our beautiful little blue planet is technology!
Always good to see your smart, un-PC posts.
Glad you're still around.

Last edited:

We can easily do both if we quit funding far off needless wars in the sheet holes of the world.

I was never in the Mars fan club, seemed pretty boring, but it does hold some incites on what could happen to earth-like planets.
Of course, growing up on Star Trek, and a watching the first moon landing, I was hoping we'd be way out there by now. Unrealistic of course, until the propulsion problem is solved, if ever.
The tyranny of the rocket equation may never be overcome :mad:

I'm at a loss as to what exactly was "un-PC" about that post, or particularly insightful. "Deflecting asteroids requires technology!" Um. Obviously?

Mars never had a chance and contrary to Elon Musk's ridiculous plan to terraform the planet by nuking it, it never will

Mars size which means it has about 1/3 of the Earths gravity. It can never hold a atmosphere dense enough to support life and it has no molten core, which means no protective electromagnetic field which would shield it from the effects of the Suns Solar winds.

Effects that have contributed to its lack of a viable atmosphere

Any Life on Mars would be subjected to harmful particles normally diverted by our Planets field.

Its lack of gravity compared to ours meant less geo-thermal activity which allowed Mars to cool relatively fast compared to Earth

Im fairly certain life never existed their, ever

Back
Top Bottom