• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Moderna Says New Covid-19 Vaccine Data Support Need for Third Dose

I'd go for shot #3.
I'm sure the study is accurate, but Moderna breakthroughs are uncommon, and serious breakthrough cases are very rare.

I'd say it is more important right now to get more people their first shots, than to give someone a 3rd.

I just spoke with my CVS pharmacist & even though they give out the usual first 2 shots, they have no current involvement with the Pfizer booster. I was told to check with my MD>
Always the best advice.

I don't know what "too soon" means for each of us personally, but my best friend's husband asked his doctor if he could get the booster, and this is what his doctor said. My sister, on the other hand, decided that she wanted the booster and walked into CVS. They told her she had to go talk to somebody/some entity associated with them (I don't remember what), and she did, and then returned to CVS.

She became really, really sick--incapacitated--by the booster. My point is that she just waltzed into CVS and got the booster shot. I don't think she should have done so without her doctor's approval.
Where was this? I didnt realize that they had approved boosters yet.

You cant just walk in here and request it. Is there even guidance out officially that you must (or not) get the same brand booster as your original vax?

You cant just walk in here and request it. Is there even guidance out officially that you must (or not) get the same brand booster as your original vax?
I have no idea, but I surely am concerned. My sister lives in little Kerrville, Texas. She constantly rails against the ignoid city leaders, and I know that even when there was a mask mandate, Walmart and other major retailers instructed their employees for their own safety not to enforce mask-wearing. My sister finally gave up on complaining about it. And get this--her GP died a couple of weeks ago (only 46 and leaving behind a wife and an 11-year old and 5-year old) after being on a ventilators for weeks, and he wasn't vaccinated. Unbelievable.

I have no idea, but I surely am concerned. My sister lives in little Kerrville, Texas. She constantly rails against the ignoid city leaders, and I know that even when there was a mask mandate, Walmart and other major retailers instructed their employees for their own safety not to enforce mask-wearing. My sister finally gave up on complaining about it. And get this--her GP died a couple of weeks ago (only 46 and leaving behind a wife and an 11-year old and 5-year old) after being on a ventilators for weeks, and he wasn't vaccinated. Unbelievable.
Wow. Just...wow. All the best to your sister at least but the level of ignorance in that area is hard to believe.

Wow. Just...wow. All the best to your sister at least but the level of ignorance in that area is hard to believe.
Yes, it is, particularly when so many artists and musicians live there. It's a small town (with deer wandering the streets) with very important musical influence, particularly for songwriters.

Last I heard, they advise you get the same brand booster as your vaccine, if you can. That's because that's how all the studies have been run. Moderna hasn't been approved yet, but they've applied for approval.

Our state hasn't received any yet, either, but expect it by the end of September. It will be rolled out first to healthcare workers and the elderly, those at high risk and front line workers second. That means for most of us it won't be available for a few months. Sounds like making appointments again, etc.

Yeah. Thats what the 'science' says. A third shot. We think. Maybe a 4th. After 6 months. Or maybe after 4 months. or 2. Yeah...definitely 2. Unless its 4. Or maybe 6.
It's almost like science is an iterative process and new conclusions are drawn as more data is gathered!

It's almost like science is an iterative process and new conclusions are drawn as more data is gathered!
And therefore, morons shouldnt run around shrieiking "ITS SETTLED SCIENCE!!! JUST GET THE SHOT!!!"

Last I heard, they advise you get the same brand booster as your vaccine, if you can. That's because that's how all the studies have been run. Moderna hasn't been approved yet, but they've applied for approval.

Our state hasn't received any yet, either, but expect it by the end of September. It will be rolled out first to healthcare workers and the elderly, those at high risk and front line workers second. That means for most of us it won't be available for a few months. Sounds like making appointments again, etc.
I wonder why they were offering 'boosters' in @nota bene's sister's area then?

Any idea on how soon after full vaccination it’s recommended to get the booster? My second shot was almost exactly four months ago.

Any idea on how soon after full vaccination it’s recommended to get the booster? My second shot was almost exactly four months ago.
Sounds like they're saying about 8 months. 6 to 8 months. But nothing definite yet that I've read.

I wonder why they were offering 'boosters' in @nota bene's sister's area then?
I don't know that boosters were being offered, only that my sister, on her own initiative, walked into a CVS pharmacy, asked for the booster and was told that this had to be cleared by _____ (whoever/whatever CVS sends people to for approval), saw whoever she was sent to, and then went back to CVS and got the shot.

And therefore, morons shouldnt run around shrieiking "ITS SETTLED SCIENCE!!! JUST GET THE SHOT!!!"

No science is ever settled. That is a common misconception of scientifically illiterate people. That’s not a weak point. That is, in fact, it’s strong point.

“ The scientist has a lot of experience with ignorance and doubt and uncertainty, and this experience is of very great importance, I think. When a scientist doesn't know the answer to a problem, he is ignorant. When he has a hunch as to what the result is, he is uncertain. And when he is pretty darn sure of what the result is going to be, he is still in some doubt. We have found it of paramount importance that in order to progress we must recognize our ignorance and leave room for doubt. Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty — some most unsure, some nearly sure, but none absolutely certain.
Now, we scientists are used to this, and we take it for granted that it is perfectly consistent to be unsure, that it is possible to live and not know. But I don't know whether everyone realizes this is true. Our freedom to doubt was born out of a struggle against authority in the early days of science. It was a very deep and strong struggle: permit us to question — to doubt — to not be sure. I think that it is important that we do not forget this struggle and thus perhaps lose what we have gained.

...It is our responsibility as scientists, knowing the great progress which comes from a satisfactory philosophy of ignorance, the great progress which is the fruit of freedom of thought, to proclaim the value of this freedom; to teach how doubt is not to be feared but welcomed and discussed; and to demand this freedom as our duty to all coming generations.”

-Richard Feynman, Nobel laureate in physics

No science is ever settled. That is a common misconception of scientifically illiterate people. That’s not a weak point. That is, in fact, it’s strong point.

“ The scientist has a lot of experience with ignorance and doubt and uncertainty, and this experience is of very great importance, I think. When a scientist doesn't know the answer to a problem, he is ignorant. When he has a hunch as to what the result is, he is uncertain. And when he is pretty darn sure of what the result is going to be, he is still in some doubt. We have found it of paramount importance that in order to progress we must recognize our ignorance and leave room for doubt. Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty — some most unsure, some nearly sure, but none absolutely certain.
Now, we scientists are used to this, and we take it for granted that it is perfectly consistent to be unsure, that it is possible to live and not know. But I don't know whether everyone realizes this is true. Our freedom to doubt was born out of a struggle against authority in the early days of science. It was a very deep and strong struggle: permit us to question — to doubt — to not be sure. I think that it is important that we do not forget this struggle and thus perhaps lose what we have gained.

...It is our responsibility as scientists, knowing the great progress which comes from a satisfactory philosophy of ignorance, the great progress which is the fruit of freedom of thought, to proclaim the value of this freedom; to teach how doubt is not to be feared but welcomed and discussed; and to demand this freedom as our duty to all coming generations.”

-Richard Feynman, Nobel laureate in physics
Link please?

Moderna Inc. said that while its Covid-19 vaccine remains effective against the disease, including the latest variants, there's evidence that it could be more effective with a booster dose.

The biotechnology company said its vaccine is still highly effective in protecting people from circulating Covid-19 variants, including Delta, according to a real-world effectiveness study.

However, in a clinical study, Moderna found that patients who were vaccinated more recently had a lower chance of a breakthrough infection than those who were vaccinated last year, building a case for a third booster dose.
==============================================
I'd go for shot #3.
My wife & I have immune issues, so yes we will both get the booster

I have been vaxxed 2x with Moderna in May/June.

And I will definitely not get a booster shot until August/September next year.

Austria pandemic law currently says that the vaccine passport is only valid 9 months until after the 1st vaccination, which would mean I need a booster shot in February or March, but I guess I will bridge the spring and summer months just like that without any booster. I don't need the vaccine passport anyway, not even now, for most places.

I don't know that boosters were being offered, only that my sister, on her own initiative, walked into a CVS pharmacy, asked for the booster and was told that this had to be cleared by _____ (whoever/whatever CVS sends people to for approval), saw whoever she was sent to, and then went back to CVS and got the shot.
Huh. Does that sound kosher? It doesnt to me but 🤷

Moderna Inc. said that while its Covid-19 vaccine remains effective against the disease, including the latest variants, there's evidence that it could be more effective with a booster dose.

The biotechnology company said its vaccine is still highly effective in protecting people from circulating Covid-19 variants, including Delta, according to a real-world effectiveness study.

However, in a clinical study, Moderna found that patients who were vaccinated more recently had a lower chance of a breakthrough infection than those who were vaccinated last year, building a case for a third booster dose.
==============================================
I'd go for shot #3.
It is odd that today a study was released saying that the Moderna vaccine was also the best at providing protection from severe disease and was longer lasting then the Pfizer.

CDC study finds Moderna vaccine is best at preventing Covid-19 hospitalization​

Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine is the most effective at protecting against Covid-19 hospitalizations, according to a study published Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
An analysis of more than 3,600 adults hospitalized at 21 U.S. facilities from March to August found that vaccine efficacy against hospitalization was 93 percent for the Moderna vaccine compared to 88 percent for the Pfizer-BioNTech shot.
The effectiveness of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine declined significantly after 120 days, the CDC’s report said, although it still provided strong protection against severe disease.
The Moderna vaccine also produced higher post-vaccination antibody levels than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, the study found.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/...at-preventing-covid-19-hospitalization-512565

🤣

I'm not an immunologist. In mot a virologist. I WORK with scientists and chemists that develop defenses to viruses used as offensive weapons and we have had many conversations about this vaccine...so I'd say I know more about vaccines and particularly this vaccine than the average person. I also know there are doctors and scientists and virologists, and immunologists...practicing and active professionals from all around the globe...not just in the US but in Canada, Germany, France, and other countries that have all expressed very real and legitimate concerns. I know that rather than discussing the concerns, the idiot left attacks actual doctors and scientists and virologists, and immunologists for daring to not act like the sheep and lemmings of the left and just shut up and get the damn shot.

Im not opposed to vaccines. I advocate for people that are high risk to by all means seriously consider the vaccine. I cheer on people thast want to get the vaccine by choice...yes...even the idiot left, even though I think they are stupid as **** for just blindly following along and agreeing to every change and every lie and every false projection because they are too ****ing stupid or unscientific or just too ****ing eagerly blind to think MAYBE since every single thing they have been told about masks and the vaccines has changed that MAYBE they dont REALLY know what the **** they are full on about just yet. The fact that so many DO have antibodies from a natural instance of COVID, that those numbers are just ignored, that their immunity is NOT enhanced by the shots and yet they are still being coerced and forced into vacines also speaks volumes.

The 3rd shot is just another example. As will the 4th. The fact that they are making this shit up as they go and that people like you are cheerleading for them...thats just ****ing tragic.
Did you know that George Washington himself supported vaccine mandates and that they have been a part of America since the revolution? So much for mandates being "un-American" huh? Also do you know that science can test levels of antibodies and those tests show that antibodies drop off after 120 days with the Pfizer jab? That does not sound like they are " making this shit up as they go " to me.

Weighing the risks, on February 5th of 1777, Washington finally committed to the unpopular policy of mass inoculation by writing to inform Congress of his plan. Throughout February, Washington, with no precedent for the operation he was about to undertake, covertly communicated to his commanding officers orders to oversee mass inoculations of their troops in the model of Morristown and Philadelphia (Dr. Shippen's Hospital). At least eleven hospitals had been constructed by the year's end.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/GW&smallpoxinoculation.html

The fact that vaccines greatly reduce your odds of contracting COVID, being hospitalized with COVID, and dying of COVID is settled science. Whether or not you may need a booster at some point is where there is a question.

Did you know that George Washington himself supported vaccine mandates and that they have been a part of America since the revolution? So much for mandates being "un-American" huh? Also do you know that science can test levels of antibodies and those tests show that antibodies drop off after 120 days with the Pfizer jab? That does not sound like they are " making this shit up as they go " to me.

Weighing the risks, on February 5th of 1777, Washington finally committed to the unpopular policy of mass inoculation by writing to inform Congress of his plan. Throughout February, Washington, with no precedent for the operation he was about to undertake, covertly communicated to his commanding officers orders to oversee mass inoculations of their troops in the model of Morristown and Philadelphia (Dr. Shippen's Hospital). At least eleven hospitals had been constructed by the year's end.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/GW&smallpoxinoculation.html
It's worth pointing out that the fact that antibodies fall off is not a sign that the vaccines are not working. That's normal. It's only a problem due to the very short period of time for Delta infection incubation. The b-cell response takes about 3 days to get antibodies up again, by then with Delta, you could have a breakthrough infection, though it will almost certainly be mild and short-lived. A booster just gives you a fresh supply of ready antibodies to reduce the number of breakthrough infections.

Back
Top Bottom