• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Moderna Says New Covid-19 Vaccine Data Support Need for Third Dose

I was in the first wave of immunizations (late 2020). I am older and have issues with asthma - intermittently on meds that can immunosuppress. Sprinkle the fact that am an ICU RN.....I will listen to the recommendations, but I would probably go for it in a heartbeat.

It's worth pointing out that the fact that antibodies fall off is not a sign that the vaccines are not working. That's normal. It's only a problem due to the very short period of time for Delta infection incubation. The b-cell response takes about 3 days to get antibodies up again, by then with Delta, you could have a breakthrough infection, though it will almost certainly be mild and short-lived. A booster just gives you a fresh supply of ready antibodies to reduce the number of breakthrough infections.
Interesting. WHere did you read about this?

Interesting. WHere did you read about this?
I often listen to podcasts or audiobooks when I am out running or lifting weights. I have heard several podcasts, typically NPR ones, where immunologists talk about how vaccines work, antibodies, and the b-cell response.

I often listen to podcasts or audiobooks when I am out running or lifting weights. I have heard several podcasts, typically NPR ones, where immunologists talk about how vaccines work, antibodies, and the b-cell response.
Ok. Thanks.

I'm not aware of what Fox News is saying, but I am aware of the widespread availability of vaccines and CVS and elsewhere. I'm not sure the comparison of annual flu shot to this new vaccine and its booster has much merit yet.

Is this propaganda? https://www.axios.com/moderna-boost...ion-b2ae37a6-a767-423e-ada3-95ab3815d26f.html
Not, it is saying that some scientists and ethistis think the current stock of vaccines is better used on the vaccinated. Many of those who are unvaccinated don't want it. I am gonig to see how the vaccine mandates do to the vaccine supply

I appreciate it. Let us know if you find out. :)
My MD office said they would have no direction on this until it is approved by the CDC. It was on the news tonight that a booster has been approved by an FDA panel & could be approved by next week.

I want it, I'm just not sure if I should get it now, at the 6 month mark, or wait until the 8th month. I don't want to be walking around with less protection without knowing.
I wish there was a test I could do to see what immunity I have and when I should get it.

If you are lucky enough to get it at the 6 months mark, do it.
The Israeli study from last month said that at 5-6 months the Pfizer vaccine protection "vanishes."

The 8 month recommendation was made from a logistics consideration not a pure health consideration.

I'm sure the study is accurate, but Moderna breakthroughs are uncommon, and serious breakthrough cases are very rare.

I'd say it is more important right now to get more people their first shots, than to give someone a 3rd.
Right now, there seems to be a plethra of shots available. In a number of pharmacies, you don't even have to make an appoinment up here.

I would say that yes, it's important ot get everyone vaccinated to begin with, but right now, there seems to be more supply than there are takers.

It's worth pointing out that the fact that antibodies fall off is not a sign that the vaccines are not working. That's normal. It's only a problem due to the very short period of time for Delta infection incubation. The b-cell response takes about 3 days to get antibodies up again, by then with Delta, you could have a breakthrough infection, though it will almost certainly be mild and short-lived. A booster just gives you a fresh supply of ready antibodies to reduce the number of breakthrough infections.
That's why they are only recommending boosters for those over 60 or with weakened immune systems. Those are the ones at risk for a serious breakthrough infection. Mild and short-lived ones are not a problem.

I'm sure the study is accurate, but Moderna breakthroughs are uncommon, and serious breakthrough cases are very rare.

I'd say it is more important right now to get more people their first shots, than to give someone a 3rd.
You mean we should be shipping vaccines to the 3rd world instead? We have plenty to cover the unvaccinated AND boosters now. The boosters are only to keep the old from being hospitalized and anything that takes the strain off our medical system is a good thing.

And therefore, morons shouldnt run around shrieiking "ITS SETTLED SCIENCE!!! JUST GET THE SHOT!!!"
The morons are the ones saying the vaccines are "experimental" when billions of shots have already been given. Then when they end up in the hospital they say they wish they had been forced to get the vaccine. That is how morons behave. BTW vaccines to treat communicable diseases are settled science and have numerous success stories to back that up.

My MD office said they would have no direction on this until it is approved by the CDC. It was on the news tonight that a booster has been approved by an FDA panel & could be approved by next week.
Only for over 65 or high risk though.

024.jpg

********​

Back
Top Bottom