• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

moderaters

alphieb

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 13, 2005
Messages
1,982
Reaction score
31
Location
Vincennes IN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Why do moderaters tell you not to insult other posters, but yet turn around and insult you?
 

GarzaUK

That European Guy
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
625
Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
Hey alphieb if you feel one of the moderators have been treating you or anyone else unfairly privately PM one or all of us with whom and what post is of your concern. All of the team will discuss your complaint. Feedback is always welcome on this site.
 

Iriemon

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
19,405
Reaction score
2,187
Location
Miami
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think the moderators do a pretty good job on this board. It is tough to strike the right balance between letting discussion go an not letting thing devolve into a flaming contest. And a thankless job I'm sure, so here's a thanks to you mods.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
You are just going to run in to that now and again, as moderators are just people themselves, and are not perfect. I happen to think that this place is a little over moderated, as it seems every other member is a moderator, so it's bound to be even more prevelant. I run my own forum, and am rarely even there, and it has not been a problem, I let the members handle their own problems, and don't feel the need to babysit them. Sometimes you will find that a moderator is a little power hungry, but that's just the nature of the beast, as in life, so goes the internet. In the end though, there is nothing you can do about it, just suck it up if you enjoy yourself here, if not, find another forum, but this one is the best I have seen yet.;)
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Deegan said:
You are just going to run in to that now and again, as moderators are just people themselves, and are not perfect. I happen to think that this place is a little over moderated, as it seems every other member is a moderator, so it's bound to be even more prevelant. I run my own forum, and am rarely even there, and it has not been a problem, I let the members handle their own problems, and don't feel the need to babysit them. Sometimes you will find that a moderator is a little power hungry, but that's just the nature of the beast, as in life, so goes the internet. In the end though, there is nothing you can do about it, just suck it up if you enjoy yourself here, if not, find another forum, but this one is the best I have seen yet.;)
OMG, Deegan, do we actually agree on something?:shock:

:2wave:
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
11,905
Reaction score
6,025
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Deegan said:
You are just going to run in to that now and again, as moderators are just people themselves, and are not perfect. I happen to think that this place is a little over moderated, as it seems every other member is a moderator, so it's bound to be even more prevelant. I run my own forum, and am rarely even there, and it has not been a problem, I let the members handle their own problems, and don't feel the need to babysit them. Sometimes you will find that a moderator is a little power hungry, but that's just the nature of the beast, as in life, so goes the internet. In the end though, there is nothing you can do about it, just suck it up if you enjoy yourself here, if not, find another forum, but this one is the best I have seen yet.;)
Hard to imagine, but we really try to be hands off for the most part. Unless we find blatant misuse of a rule during our normal surfing, we let the users report a post before we spring into action. We get many reported posts from the community. Every reported post gets attention. Often action is required. Our actions truely are driven by the users.

There is indeed something you can do about it. Like GarzaUK said, we do not take these matters lightly. Report the post or send me a PM. If the action is against me, please send a PM to another mod. Even though I am the lead moderator, I am not free from action against me. Nor are any of the mods. Concerns over moderation is of utmost importance us.
 

Billo_Really

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Mod's, just like cops, are people too!
 

alphieb

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 13, 2005
Messages
1,982
Reaction score
31
Location
Vincennes IN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
vauge said:
Hard to imagine, but we really try to be hands off for the most part. Unless we find blatant misuse of a rule during our normal surfing, we let the users report a post before we spring into action. We get many reported posts from the community. Every reported post gets attention. Often action is required. Our actions truely are driven by the users.

There is indeed something you can do about it. Like GarzaUK said, we do not take these matters lightly. Report the post or send me a PM. If the action is against me, please send a PM to another mod. Even though I am the lead moderator, I am not free from action against me. Nor are any of the mods. Concerns over moderation is of utmost importance us.
I pm'd GarzaUK, it is only one person. I was in the wrong too, but this person attacked me very inappropriately.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
alphieb said:
I pm'd GarzaUK, it is only one person. I was in the wrong too, but this person attacked me very inappropriately.
As per forum rules...

3. Flaming - "Originally, flame meant to carry forth in a passionate manner in the spirit of honorable debate. Flames most often involved the use of flowery language and flaming well was an art form. More recently flame has come to refer to any kind of derogatory comment no matter how witless or crude."[google] In a forum with sensitive topics such as this, derogatory flaming is bound to happen. Common sense will prevail, yet this is not an invitation to flame. e.g. You stupid *****ing moron is completely unacceptable and could lead to a suspension of posting privileges.

While the Moderators ARE held to a higher standard(MUCH higher than the members realize), keep in mind the Mods are fellow forum members with the same interests, motivations, and emotions as anyone else...

With minimal exceptions, there is not one person on this forum that hasn't dropped the level of debate a notch or two...If it's a single remark that doesn't reach a certain level of debauchery, it slides by...it's when the comments become repeated and the whole thread spirals into the netherworld that action should be taken...

If we were to Moderate otherwise, we'd spend our day suspending most of the forum!...By the same token, if the Mods were to be handcuffed and silenced, no Moderator would wish to stay...

We try to find a "happy medium"...:2wave:
 

alphieb

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 13, 2005
Messages
1,982
Reaction score
31
Location
Vincennes IN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
cnredd said:
As per forum rules...

3. Flaming - "Originally, flame meant to carry forth in a passionate manner in the spirit of honorable debate. Flames most often involved the use of flowery language and flaming well was an art form. More recently flame has come to refer to any kind of derogatory comment no matter how witless or crude."[google] In a forum with sensitive topics such as this, derogatory flaming is bound to happen. Common sense will prevail, yet this is not an invitation to flame. e.g. You stupid *****ing moron is completely unacceptable and could lead to a suspension of posting privileges.

While the Moderators ARE held to a higher standard(MUCH higher than the members realize), keep in mind the Mods are fellow forum members with the same interests, motivations, and emotions as anyone else...

With minimal exceptions, there is not one person on this forum that hasn't dropped the level of debate a notch or two...If it's a single remark that doesn't reach a certain level of debauchery, it slides by...it's when the comments become repeated and the whole thread spirals into the netherworld that action should be taken...

If we were to Moderate otherwise, we'd spend our day suspending most of the forum!...By the same token, if the Mods were to be handcuffed and silenced, no Moderator would wish to stay...

We try to find a "happy medium"...:2wave:
This is one of the classiest debate sites I have been on. Some of them are down right nasty with no intervention. I was just offended by one Mod. no big deal.....I'm over it now. I was guilty myself of posting something that was not appropriate.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
alphieb said:
This is one of the classiest debate sites I have been on. Some of them are down right nasty with no intervention. I was just offended by one Mod. no big deal.....I'm over it now. I was guilty myself of posting something that was not appropriate.
And you should've been banned!

Kidding!...:2wave:

One point if I may...The "line drawn in the sand" is different for every member...You can say one thing to a member and they laugh it off...say the same thing to another and they get upset...

That's what makes finding a happy medium so tough...
 

alphieb

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 13, 2005
Messages
1,982
Reaction score
31
Location
Vincennes IN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
cnredd said:
And you should've been banned!

Kidding!...:2wave:

One point if I may...The "line drawn in the sand" is different for every member...You can say one thing to a member and they laugh it off...say the same thing to another and they get upset...

That's what makes finding a happy medium so tough...
I usually don't get upset and find myself laughing all the time if it is a witty comment. I guess it depends on the nature of the insult....or maybe its just almost time for my monthly enemy.....LOL
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
galenrox said:
Plus, from what I hear, there's a lot going on that we don't hear about.
Please explain this sentence...
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Deegan said:
Now you're just fishing for compliments.;)
Wasn't going for that angle...don't really see it anyway...

Read it again...

Plus, from what I hear, there's a lot going on that we don't hear about.

If there's stuff going on that you don't hear about, than how can you say "from what I hear"?...

Don't look too deep...
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
cnredd said:
Wasn't going for that angle...don't really see it anyway...

Read it again...

Plus, from what I hear, there's a lot going on that we don't hear about.

If there's stuff going on that you don't hear about, than how can you say "from what I hear"?...

Don't look too deep...
Oh, I'm the one looking to deep, lol!;)
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
11,905
Reaction score
6,025
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
galenrox said:
Plus, from what I hear, there's a lot going on that we don't hear about.
I read that statement and hold it very true. The mod forum is very busy with new ideas, verifing exactly what we should consider appropriate, level of mod action etc... then add on the reported posts. LOL, every mod here as soon as they were given "powers" their jaw hit the floor - wow. So, yes there is alot going on behind the scenes that should be and is mute to the users.

We can *say* we are unbiased all day - we have to walk it. Along the road there are always bumps. So we go back and fine tooth comb them so that they become a learning experience and referenced in future events.
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
vauge said:
I read that statement and hold it very true. The mod forum is very busy with new ideas, verifing exactly what we should consider appropriate, level of mod action etc... then add on the reported posts. LOL, every mod here as soon as they were given "powers" their jaw hit the floor - wow. So, yes there is alot going on behind the scenes that should be and is mute to the users.

We can *say* we are unbiased all day - we have to walk it. Along the road there are always bumps. So we go back and fine tooth comb them so that they become a learning experience and referenced in future events.
I wish my site were as successful as yours is, as it stands, I spend much more time here, but I enjoy it, so it's really the only thing that matters. If and when my site is as busy, I will have learned a lot from your example, great job Vauge.;)
 
Top Bottom