• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mitt Romney backing of Supreme Court vote paves way for election-year confirmation

I agree that Trump has the right to present the Senate with a nominee and the Senate has the right to consider and vote on that nominee. But Mitch is a hypocritical pile of shit because Obama had presented a nominee and the Senate should have done its duty then and considered the nominee. Not just block out the choice because of partisan bullshit.

But R and D are into partisan bullshit as well and if this situation reverses, they'll do what they can to the benefit of their party. And all the people making excuses here for Mitch in 2016 and Mitch in 2020 will be bitching their heads off.
Meh. I haven't seen anyone making excuses for Mitch, maybe I missed it. This situation just shows that Democrats love hypocrisy as much as Republicans. To them it's a feature, not a bug.
Biden didnt set the precedent
The precedent is to consider nominees in a timely manner, including election years. Republicans broke that precedent in 2016; it will be good if we return to that precedent. I'm not sure why anyone is arguing differently.

So you failed to read my post.

Any article you post is irrelevant, because adding four court seats to the SC will address that. And before you scream about unconstitutional power grabs or whatever, don't make me laugh, because that boat left the harbor forty years ago.

Really? He used to be pro choice. That is definitely odd.
It was when he was younger. Yes, it appears he has made statements on being pro choice. He also proposed a healthcare plan similar to Obama’s. It’s very weird that he is going along with this. I wonder if he has considered that Trump would probably love to bring an election loss to the court

Meh. I haven't seen anyone making excuses for Mitch, maybe I missed it. This situation just shows that Democrats love hypocrisy as much as Republicans. To them it's a feature, not a bug.
The precedent is to consider nominees in a timely manner, including election years. Republicans broke that precedent in 2016; it will be good if we return to that precedent. I'm not sure why anyone is arguing differently.
Republicans are actually doing the hypocrisy and excusing it. Precedent didnt determine anything about what mitch did in 2016

Those democratic holdouts on the filibuster are just idiots i swear.

The number of Republican atrocities it takes to move them one inch is mind boggling. How many times do you have to get hit in the face before you finally say, "Oh wait, I also have fists."

The number of Republican atrocities it takes to move them one inch is mind boggling. How many times do you have to get hit in the face before you finally say, "Oh wait, I also have fists."
So true. Even Biden us hoping these guys are just under a temporary spell....

and Democrats are pretending their scummy party isn't different
What scummy part? Nobody was held up. Mcconnel only quoted biden after his comments about the several decades old precedent was shown to be a lie.

It sounds like he's cooled greatly on the idea of nominating her (forget her name), after it came out she supported Biden in 1987.
That’s an entirely different woman. Trump gave money to the Clintons and Kamala Harris. He has no principles other than protecting himself and his own power. If he thinks a judge who worked on Biden’s campaign 30 years ago will help him with a Gore v Bush situation, he will pick her.

He definitely does not. The only difference is that, in this particular case, Republicans are right to consider a nominee if one is presented. Joe and anyone who agrees with him that a nomination should wait is on the wrong side of history.
This isn’t even an argument. It’s like arguing with your 18 year old daughter about her right to be a stripper and drink heavily. Yes, it’s her right, blah, blah, blah, and you have no control over it, but should she really be doing that? What about consequences? There are real concerns and matters to discuss beyond appealing to authority

She also wants the next president to replace her? But of course you don't care what she wants, so your quotes are irrelevant.
Actually, my quotes are from an interview on NPR from a couple of months ago.
So what do we do with dueling quotes?
The quote you want to believe is from Ginsburg allegedly to her granddaughter. Do we have to believe it? Anyone else around?

After his impeachment vote this is Mitt's opportunity to still be good with the GOP and get some lobbying gigs after he leaves the Senate.
Apparently Mormons are anti-abortion rights and they want Roe vs Wade overturned. Religion has become the driving force in our Govt. now. It's puzzling how women are now seen as the biggest danger to our society in their eyes. Don't they all have mothers?

That’s an entirely different woman. Trump gave money to the Clintons and Kamala Harris. He has no principles other than protecting himself and his own power. If he thinks a judge who worked on Biden’s campaign 30 years ago will help him with a Gore v Bush situation, he will pick her.
Ah, you're right, my bad, its Larsen who it came out had supported Biden.

In that case she may be a decent pick but I dontthink she's been vetted like Barrett has which is a negative against her given he wants to push this through quickly.

Republicans are actually doing the hypocrisy and excusing it. Precedent didnt determine anything about what mitch did in 2016
Correct. Let's get back to the precedent that has existed for many decades. Republicans have clearly realized how wrong they were in 2016, and since the past can not be changed one can only take comfort in that they are doing the right thing in 2020. Democrats should be celebrating Republicans coming around; turns out they're disgusting opportunistic hypocrites as well. Oh well.

It's not about her having been a dem. It's about who she supported. He's petty like that.
You’re also confused because Barbara Lagoa isn’t the judge who worked on a Biden campaign. Trump did say he is not against using her to appeal to Latin voters in Florida

Apparently Mormons are anti-abortion rights and they want Roe vs Wade overturned. Religion has become the driving force in our Govt. now. It's puzzling how women are now seen as the biggest danger to our society in their eyes. Don't they all have mothers?
Rather they are against killing babies inthe womb. Don't see how that's a bad thing. Nor do you have to be religious to be against abortion (I'm an atheist and I'm against it).

Actually, my quotes are from an interview on NPR from a couple of months ago.
So what do we do with dueling quotes?
The quote you want to believe is from Ginsburg allegedly to her granddaughter. Do we have to believe it? Anyone else around?
I'm much more comfortable calling her granddaughter a liar than RBG a hypocrite. Clearly the granddaughter is not as stand up of a human being as her grandmother.

You’re also confused because Barbara Lagoa isn’t the judge who worked on a Biden campaign. Trump did say he is not against using her to appeal to Latin voters in Florida
I already acknowledged this to you in another post (#69)

In February, Romney votes to convict and remove Trump, but in September, Romney thinks Trump should get a SCOTUS justice approved who may shape events for years to come?

Back
Top Bottom