• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mitt Romney backing of Supreme Court vote paves way for election-year confirmation

It's standard Republocrat shenanigans. I don't think that Biden has any more integrity that Moscow Mitch.
He definitely does not. The only difference is that, in this particular case, Republicans are right to consider a nominee if one is presented. Joe and anyone who agrees with him that a nomination should wait is on the wrong side of history.

No, not really. Hes just filling a vacancy as is precedent. It's happened plenty of times in the past - a president with a Senate of the same party fills on election year. A president with a Senate of a different party doesnt tend to. Nothing new here other than the rabid idiocy of the current Dem party.
There was no precedent until mcconell made one. He should have just said we cant take up obama's nomination because it's and election year and there is an solar eclipse the following year. That way he wouldn't sound like a hypocrite this year.

Looks like stacking the court is the only option dems have now.

No, Nancy has some options up her sleeves, according to her. She doesn't wish to discuss them publicly yet, according to her.

He definitely does not. The only difference is that, in this particular case, Republicans are right to consider a nominee if one is presented. Joe and anyone who agrees with him that a nomination should wait is on the wrong side of history.
I agree that Trump has the right to present the Senate with a nominee and the Senate has the right to consider and vote on that nominee. But Mitch is a hypocritical pile of shit because Obama had presented a nominee and the Senate should have done its duty then and considered the nominee. Not just block out the choice because of partisan bullshit.

But R and D are into partisan bullshit as well and if this situation reverses, they'll do what they can to the benefit of their party. And all the people making excuses here for Mitch in 2016 and Mitch in 2020 will be bitching their heads off.

No, Nancy has some options up her sleeves, according to her. She doesn't wish to discuss them publicly yet, according to her.

I hate to say this, but there are few if any mechanisms preventing a confirmation. Democrats can do a little delaying game, but in the face of a determined Republican majority, it won't be effective.

Personally, I hope they confirm Donald Trump Jr. The crazier Republicans drive Democrats, the fewer Democrat holdouts there'll be on the topic of eliminating the filibuster and stacking the courts.

That's not necessarily true for several reasons:

1) Assuming Democrats retake both chambers and the WH (this discussion is moot otherwise), they'll add PR and DC, thereby lessening the likelihood of Republicans taking back the Senate, and
2) Democrats pass HR1, which severely limits Republican voter suppression efforts.

If both of these things come to pass, Republicans won't get the opportunity to restack the courts.

welcome to fascism with 1 party controlling a country indefinitely... then the minorities take over and the US turns into a 4th world shithole

No.

And if you still think I'm wrong, go ahead and find an Amendment adding a state. You're going to be in for a nasty shock.
Except, it's different in this case, because DC is literally established in the constitution as a Federal place that is to be kept separate from the States. Which is why you'd need to amend the constitution in order to make it a state, unlike ant other area that has ever become a state. Hence it needs an amendment where others do not. DUH. Try reading my posts for comprehension.

Except, it's different in this case, because DC is literally established in the constitution as a Federal place that is to be kept separate from the States. Which is why you'd need to amend the constitution in order to make it a state, unlike ant other area that has ever become a state. Hence it needs an amendment where others do not. DUH. Try reading my posts for comprehension.
Where in the constitution does it say DC cant be a state?

Looks like stacking the court is the only option dems have now.
Haven't you heard ... “Bad idea when [FDR] tried to pack the court… If anything would make the court appear partisan it'd be...one side saying, ‘When we’re in power we’re going to enlarge the number of judges so we'll have more ppl who will vote the way we want them to.’" - Ruth Ginsburg
"There's nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year,"- Ruth Ginsburg
And this isn't even Trump's last year.

Find me the Constitutional Amendment admitting Hawaii.

Find me the Constitutional Amendment admitting Hawaii.
So you failed to read my post.

In that case let me turn that around on you: show me any state that was - prior to becoming a state- established in the Constitution as the capital of the nation, placed under federal rule, and made up of land that was seceded from states in order to be established as said capital, under federal government rule.

I'll wait, but won't hold my breath (largely because I doubt you'll read this post either).

Last edited:
Haven't you heard ... “Bad idea when [FDR] tried to pack the court… If anything would make the court appear partisan it'd be...one side saying, ‘When we’re in power we’re going to enlarge the number of judges so we'll have more ppl who will vote the way we want them to.’" - Ruth Ginsburg
"There's nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year,"- Ruth Ginsburg
And this isn't even Trump's last year.
She also wants the next president to replace her? But of course you don't care what she wants, so your quotes are irrelevant.

The only one that has flipped harder than the Republicans on the issue is Joe Biden. It's amazing they don't all have whiplash from spinning so hard.
Biden didnt set the precedent

So i will take that as you don't have the passage in the constitution that says DC can't be a state.
So I will take this to mean that you did not read the article that you were given that answers that very question, and that you were never interested in the answer to begin with, and are happy to wallow in your historical ignorance.

I hate to say this, but there are few if any mechanisms preventing a confirmation. Democrats can do a little delaying game, but in the face of a determined Republican majority, it won't be effective.

Personally, I hope they confirm Donald Trump Jr. The crazier Republicans drive Democrats, the fewer Democrat holdouts there'll be on the topic of eliminating the filibuster and stacking the courts.
Those democratic holdouts on the filibuster are just idiots i swear.

So I will take this to mean that you did not read the article that you were given that answers that very question, and that you were never interested in the answer to begin with, and are happy to wallow in your historical ignorance.
I don't read biased conservative blogs. Post the actual passage from the constitution

Back
Top Bottom