• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mitt Romney backing of Supreme Court vote paves way for election-year confirmation

99percenter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative

Looks like McConell has the votes for trumps SC nominee.

It's not really surprising.

In the end, Trump does get to make the call, despite the fact that Moscow Mitch and Leningrad Graham argued against Obama being able to do so 4 years ago. But the fact that any of these partisan fools would dare try to cite the Constitution as the reason why they're doing it now is laughable.

He has always been a brazen opportunist.

Looks like McConell has the votes for trumps SC nominee.
Good news. Sounds like the nominee will likely be Amy Coney Barrett.

In the end, Trump does get to make the call, despite the fact that Moscow Mitch and Leningrad Graham argued against Obama being able to do so 4 years ago. But the fact that any of these partisan fools would dare try to cite the Constitution as the reason why they're doing it now is laughable.
I think Romney is probably doing this because of his Mormon conservative views. I wonder if he has weighted the issue of the Supreme Court getting involved in our election however.

I'm sure they will try but taking that Nuclear option just means the Repubs will pack it further when they regain control, and soon we'll have a Scotus made of several hundred people.
Yep. Mcconell could have prevented all this by giving garland a vote or just sticking to his precedent and let the next president replace ginsburg. If repubs can stack the court, I don't see why dems wouldn't. The turtle man has destroyed our democracy.

The only one that has flipped harder than the Republicans on the issue is Joe Biden. It's amazing they don't all have whiplash from spinning so hard.

I was starting to like him. Guess he isn't as independent as he claims.
I am not surprised by this. I read about his behavior as a young Mormon. He apparently went to the hospital where a Mormon woman needed a medical abortion, and took it as an opportunity to shame and guilt her.

I am not surprised by this. I read about his behavior as a young Mormon. He apparently went to the hospital where a Mormon woman needed a medical abortion, and took it as an opportunity to shame and guilt her.
Really? He used to be pro choice. That is definitely odd.

I'm sure they will try but taking that Nuclear option just means the Repubs will pack it further when they regain control, and soon we'll have a Scotus made of several hundred people.

That's not necessarily true for several reasons:

1) Assuming Democrats retake both chambers and the WH (this discussion is moot otherwise), they'll add PR and DC, thereby lessening the likelihood of Republicans taking back the Senate, and
2) Democrats pass HR1, which severely limits Republican voter suppression efforts.

If both of these things come to pass, Republicans won't get the opportunity to restack the courts.

Yep. Mcconell could have prevented all this by giving garland a vote or just sticking to his precedent and let the next president replace ginsburg. If repubs can stack the court, I don't see why dems wouldn't. The turtle man has destroyed our democracy.
Harry Reid could have prevented all of this. America is paying the price for his short sighted power play.

No, not really. Hes just filling a vacancy as is precedent. It's happened plenty of times in the past - a president with a Senate of the same party fills on election year. A president with a Senate of a different party doesnt tend to. Nothing new here other than the rabid idiocy of the current Dem party.

I was starting to like him. Guess he isn't as independent as he claims.

I liked the documentary version of him a little, or perhaps more accurately, i had a bit of sympathy for him. However, if he showed up at my job to inform us that his firm had acquired this one and that we should all proceed to find the doors and not come back, I doubt that he would have similar sympathy for me.

The only one that has flipped harder than the Republicans on the issue is Joe Biden. It's amazing they don't all have whiplash from spinning so hard.

It's standard Republocrat shenanigans. I don't think that Biden has any more integrity that Moscow Mitch.

That's not necessarily true for several reasons:

1) Assuming Democrats retake both chambers and the WH (this discussion is moot otherwise), they'll add PR and DC, thereby lessening the likelihood of Republicans taking back the Senate, and
2) Democrats pass HR1, which severely limits Republican voter suppression efforts.

If both of these things come to pass, Republicans won't get the opportunity to restack the courts.
Making DC a state requires a constitutional Amendment. Not likely gonna happen

I think it will be hard to pack a court when more people are on it

I wouldn’t be surprised if Trump nominates the Cuban lady, because he thinks he could win Florida. Trump will do this ultimately for Trump. He is not a pro life Christian
It sounds like he's cooled greatly on the idea of nominating her (forget her name), after it came out she supported Biden in 1987.

Back
Top Bottom