• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

mercenary's

joe246

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
we need more mercs there cheap highly trained and loyal to what america was founded on money. mercs might sound morally wrong but so is war

we need more mercs there cheap highly trained and loyal to what america was founded on money. mercs might sound morally wrong but so is war

Dude... you shouldn't think so deeply about things, you might strain something. Kick back and have another doobie.

War is not always morally wrong.

Dude... you shouldn't think so deeply about things, you might strain something. Kick back and have another doobie.

whats so unreasonable about it?

but mercs are?

I don't see a problem with mercenaries persay, it would just depend.

It will depend on where are from though, some states have signed the UN Mercenary Convention which outlaws their use... the USA has not however.

good for us. and i rather have mainly american mercs more likely not to backstab us

there is nothing inherently immoral about PMC's; they provide plenty of critical services. Similarly, there is nothing inherently immoral about war; which can be waged for a wide range of justifiable reasons and in justifiable ways. PMC's are here and likely to stay, especially as American continues to draw down our military comitment to our soon-to-be-surprised allies.

PMC's are not "mercenaries"....

As one who was a contractor way before contracting was cool, If you called me a "mercenary" you'd probably get punched in the face. ;)

Last edited:
:shrug: okay. my buddy who got out and now is highly paid by Xe to shoot people who threaten his principles; what is he? he calls himself a merc, though admittedly it's usually lighthearted.

certainly not everyone in a PMC is a mercenary. but some definitely are; it's a square-rectangle thing.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the concept of private contractors, but the current system is broken. A civilian version of the UCMJ needs to written into every contract, with real criminal courts set up enforce it. The legal gray areas and lack of oversight is unacceptable.

iirc, Clausewitz, Sun Tzu and Machiavelli were each opposed to the use of mercenaries.
I may be misremembering.

Hiring mercenaries did not work out too well for the Romans.

mer·ce·nar·y (mûr'sə-něr'ē)
adj.
Motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain.

Hired for service in a foreign army.

n. pl. mer·ce·nar·ies
One who serves or works merely for monetary gain; a hireling.

A professional soldier hired for service in a foreign army.

We don't serve in foreign armies...

I guess you can say techically an American who is hired by say Aegis, (a british PMC) could technically be a "mercenary" if they are simply motivated by money., but with that, you link what is a negative connotation to people who mainly provide asset protection.....

No one in Xe for example is paid to "shoot people"

Last edited:
I think "mercenary" is a perfectly fitting term to describe people who engage in paramilitary activities for profit. There's nothing derogatory about it; it's a perfectly honorable career for people whose marketable skills have little peacetime applicability.

Hessian mercenaries played an important role in our own war of independence.

I think "mercenary" is a perfectly fitting term to describe people who engage in paramilitary activities for profit. There's nothing derogatory about it; it's a perfectly honorable career for people whose marketable skills have little peacetime applicability.

It's inaccurate, we didn't work for foreign governments. :shrug:

adj.

n. pl. mer·ce·nar·ies

I guess you can say techically an American who is hired by say Aegis, (a british PMC) could technically be a "mercenary" if they are simply motivated by money., but with that, you link what is a negative connotation to people who mainly provide asset protection.....

neither is anyone in the military. shooting people is simply incidental to our job.

i think you are falling into the trap of assuming that mercenary is a perjorative, here.

neither is anyone in the military. shooting people is simply incidental to our job.

i think you are falling into the trap of assuming that mercenary is a perjorative, here.

Well it was used as one for as long as I can remember. :shrug:

If I recall correctly, they worked for the British. In fact we surprised them with their pants off at one battle and whipped their asses.

adj.

n. pl. mer·ce·nar·ies

Not all PMCs are based in the US.
The US paid for the services of PMCs based in numerous countries. The US doesn't know how many or even which all companies received US taxpayer's money.

There is nothing immoral about war or mercenaries or private security contractors. I do think there should be a mandatory 3-4 year waiting period for those who just ETS from the military before they can be a mercenary or work for a private security contracting service. Soldiers and marines are expensive to train and this is to make sure make sure companies are not tempting soldiers near their ETS date to forget about reenlisting. I think the only people who treat mercenary as though it is some dirty word are stupid anti-war libs who try to make the word into a pejorative term.

Last edited:
There is nothing immoral about war or mercenaries or private security contractors. I do think there should be a mandatory 3-4 year waiting period for those who just ETS from the military before they can be a mercenary or work for a private security contracting service. Soldiers and marines are expensive to train and this is to make sure make sure companies are not tempting soldiers near their ETS date to forget about reenlisting. I think the only people who treat mercenary as though it is some dirty word are stupid anti-war libs who try to make the word into a pejorative term.

"There is nothing immoral about war or mercenaries....":lamo

Back
Top Bottom