• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Memphis Police Incident

What do you anticipate from the Memphis community since there seem to be no race involved?
1. Since the cops are of the same ethnicity as the person they stopped, it will be hard for BLM to arouse the community to indignation.

2. I am not very intelligent, but I DO know that these incidents between certain young gentlemen and the cops (of any ethnicity) will NEVER cease.

3. Why? Because certain young gentlemen will continue to be defiant when stopped by the cops.

4. So there will be no violent protests in Memphis. The cops will be sent to prison (and quietly released early), and the family will receive a very generous payout.

Well all 5 fired and now charged with multiple things including 2nd degree murder. It's sounding like the video is right up there with Rodney King as far as brutality. While race isn't an issue, police assault seems to be in play. Imo that's what the community should put the focus on.

That said, it's disturbing to know these ex officers were fully aware their actions were being recorded and yet they still assaulted this young man so violently that he died from the injuries.

Well all 5 fired and now charged with multiple things including 2nd degree murder. It's sounding like the video is right up there with Rodney King as far as brutality. While race isn't an issue, police assault seems to be in play. Imo that's what the community should put the focus on.

That said, it's disturbing to know these ex officers were fully aware their actions were being recorded and yet they still assaulted this young man so violently that he died from the injuries.
^^^^^this^^^^^^

Speaks to the police culture more than systemic racism.

They're releasing the video tomorrow after 6pm Memphis time.

1. Since the cops are of the same ethnicity as the person they stopped, it will be hard for BLM to arouse the community to indignation.
It'll also keep Joy Reid quieter then she usually is when she is going on a race-trolling rage.

What do you anticipate from the Memphis community since there seem to be no race involved?

Cops were involved. That's all it takes. White cops just make it worse (or better if you really like hate crime charges).

Word is that Nichols did nothing wrong and that cops just hauled him out of the car and started beating him to death. I suspect that there's more to it than that but that's just me.

The police are a monolithic entity. The victim was black, like Breonna Taylor and so many other victims of the police in Memphis.

"So, more than half of the 25 officers on a list of criminal and tainted cops are from the Memphis Police Department — the largest law enforcement agency in Shelby County."

2. I am not very intelligent, but I DO know that these incidents between certain young gentlemen and the cops (of any ethnicity) will NEVER cease.

3. Why? Because certain young gentlemen will continue to be defiant when stopped by the cops.

4. So there will be no violent protests in Memphis. The cops will be sent to prison (and quietly released early), and the family will receive a very generous payout.
Bad cops are bad cops. The cops were wrong in this case just like they were wrong in the George Floyd case. They were arrested and fired. I hope they get what they deserve. Why do you think when a police stops someone, then the person they kill deserves it. It was wrong what the cops did. Yes, I hope the family receives a generous payment. Remember how the police lied and hid evidence in the Brianna Taylor case. All police are not angels and all suspects are not demons.

Cops were involved. That's all it takes. White cops just make it worse (or better if you really like hate crime charges).

Word is that Nichols did nothing wrong and that cops just hauled him out of the car and started beating him to death. I suspect that there's more to it than that but that's just me.
The problem is that in most cases, police do this kind of shit and get away with in. They say this was worse than Rodney King, but those policemen were not fired nor were they convicted of anything. Same with the Brianna Taylor case.

I, for one, am glad there were no white officers involve in that unfortunate incident.
As someone who believes the vast majority of police officers in this country are trying to uphold the law, I am curious as to why this is a national story.
Why did Nichols resist the police? Why did he not obey the officers' commands? Why did they have to taser him multiple times? Were there drugs in Nichol's body that made him go ballistic over the cops restraining him?
Tomorrow is supposed to be when they release the officers' body cam footage to the public.

So many questions and so few answers.

I, for one, am glad there were no white officers involve in that unfortunate incident.
As someone who believes the vast majority of police officers in this country are trying to uphold the law, I am curious as to why this is a national story.
Why did Nichols resist the police? Why did he not obey the officers' commands? Why did they have to taser him multiple times? Were there drugs in Nichol's body that made him go ballistic over the cops restraining him?
Tomorrow is supposed to be when they release the officers' body cam footage to the public.

So many questions and so few answers.
Based on what the DA and FBI said today, the abuse was uncalled for and they saw the video. Why do they have to beat someone to death because the don't obey orders. All the police the masters and we are all slaves.

Bad cops are bad cops. The cops were wrong in this case just like they were wrong in the George Floyd case. They were arrested and fired. I hope they get what they deserve. Why do you think when a police stops someone, then the person they kill deserves it. It was wrong what the cops did. Yes, I hope the family receives a generous payment. Remember how the police lied and hid evidence in the Brianna Taylor case. All police are not angels and all suspects are not demons.
Once you see lawyer Ben Crum on the scene, you know there's going to be a large payout to the Nichols family.
If anyone believes Nichols deserved to die, then that person is (censored by me otherwise the moderators will send me another message).
Are you going to be happy if you see five black officers punished even if they were acting within their guidelines?

Based on what the DA and FBI said today, the abuse was uncalled for and they saw the video. Why do they have to beat someone to death because the don't obey orders. All the police the masters and we are all slaves.
You might be right about police being the masters.
But is that the reason so many black men feel justified in resisting the police and end up dead or tasered into unconsciousness?

Once you see lawyer Ben Crum on the scene, you know there's going to be a large payout to the Nichols family.
If anyone believes Nichols deserved to die, then that person is (censored by me otherwise the moderators will send me another message).
Are you going to be happy if you see five black officers punished even if they were acting within their guidelines?
Based on the news conference today, they were not acting within the guidelines. When is being killed by cop, considered acting in the guidelines. Do you think Derrick Chauvan was acting in their guidelines. Do you beleive that policemen cannot be bad.

When is being killed by cop, considered acting in the guidelines. Do you think Derrick Chauvan was acting in their guidelines. Do you beleive that policemen cannot be bad.
Cops can kill people within guidelines. Otherwise more cops would be dead on the street.
Derek Chauvin WAS NOT acting within guidelines.
He deserved to be punished and put in prison for a long time.
Policemen can be bad and there are many who should be disciplined and kicked out of the police force.

Any other 'gotcha' question about cops in the news?

Old and tired and wrong.

Police are trained and trained well.

When encountering resistance they are trained to use force in so far as to reduce and defend, not to incapacitate. There were more than one. It should have been a cake walk for two officers to subdue him with minimal force.

Unless they are cowboys, which come in all colors.

As a reporter I covered many stories about police abuse, most of them were exaggerated but where there was truth is that a 'riot' response takes over, as what happened in the famous Rodney King case.

Nonetheless, they have already been fired, the department accepted responsibility and the family is being comforted in their grief....all of which make it an improvement over the norm.

Cops can kill people within guidelines. Otherwise more cops would be dead on the street.
Derek Chauvin WAS NOT acting within guidelines.
He deserved to be punished and put in prison for a long time.
Policemen can be bad and there are many who should be disciplined and kicked out of the police force.

Any other 'gotcha' question about cops in the news?
So you have procecuted the dead man before you have seen the evidence. Bad police kill people and cover it up. Most times they get away with it by saying "I was in the guidelines" Forunately, like with Chauvin, we now have video. I bet that if there was no video of Chauvin killing Floyd, you would be on his side.

So you have procecuted the dead man before you have seen the evidence. Bad police kill people and cover it up. Most times they get away with it by saying "I was in the guidelines" Forunately, like with Chauvin, we now have video. I bet that if there was no video of Chauvin killing Floyd, you would be on his side.
You think you can live inside my head and decide what I am thinking?
I am glad there was video of that idiot Chauvin doing what he did. One of the dumbest things I ever saw a cop do. Until I saw thousands of idiot 1/6 protestors disobeying federal law at the Capitol Bldg.
If there was no video of Chauvin doing what he did, do you think his superiors would let him off? Either way it would have resulted in senseless riots resulting in the disgrace of the BLM movement.

Back
Top Bottom