• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Me Too Movement (1 Viewer)

Do you support the Me Too movement?

• Total voters
Umm, eyewitness testimony IS evidence

The weakest kind there is. It is a claim until supported with objectively verifiable evidence.

No. What you need is evidence.

That's the way our justice system works. The number of accusers is less important than actual evidence. You'd fit right in with the people who hanged witches back in Salem because a number of young girls pointed their fingers and accused the women of witchcraft. Or the young girls who pointed fingers at men of color around the turn of the last century, which sent the KKK out in force to lynch the accused.

Has history taught you nothing at all?

Eyewitness testimony IS evidence, made stronger when multiple witnesses corroborate the testimony. There are people who have spent, or will spend, their lives in jail based on less eyewitness testimony that exists against Weinstein

That is the way our justice system works. Has history taught you nothing at all?

The weakest kind there is. It is a claim until supported with objectively verifiable evidence.

Says the guy who has to save face after implying it was not evidence at all.

Actually, it is the strongest evidence there is

Eyewitness testimony IS evidence, made stronger when multiple witnesses corroborate the testimony. There are people who have spent, or will spend, their lives in jail based on less eyewitness testimony that exists against Weinstein

That is the way our justice system works. Has history taught you nothing at all?

"Eyewitness testimony?" You mean like the girls who swore they saw Sarah Putnam bewitch a cow into giving sour milk? They said they saw it after all. That's eyewitness testimony, right?

The Me Too movement is a throwback to 17th Century Salem.

And, look at the lynch mob that supports it.

Fascinating.

There are so many things wrong with this Me Too movement, first of all, the fact that it is a "movement" at all. Sexual abuse reflects an individual and personal incident.

A bigger issue is not that the movement is anti-male, but that it is anti-female.

By parading hordes of women through the public eye, all claiming to have been victims of unscrupulous males at some point, the movement is making the underlying claim that women need protection -- and that's exactly what the original suffragettes fought to dispute.

The Me Too movement paints women as weak victims who must be treated with kid gloves. Instead of teaching women to take control for their own lives and strike back -- immediately -- when abused, they're sending the message that women are so weak that they must hide in shame if a man makes a pass at them.

The Me Too movement is a step backwards for women's equality and rights.

If a woman can't stick up for herself, she certainly can't expect to receive equal pay or equal job opportunities. What does this movement tell employers? It tells them that women are more trouble than they're worth.

This doesn't apply to actual crimes, which are already covered by law. This applies to the sobbing women who are too wimpy to stick up for themselves when someone they don't like asks them out on a date or brushes up against them. Huge step backwards for women's rights. Let them keep it up -- before long we may see them covered from head to toe like some Muslim women -- kept out of sight of men so the wicked men won't get nasty ideas.

Yikes.
I didn't know there was still this kind of victim-blaming attitude around, less that someone would stand up and express it.
Do you hear yourself? You're saying women should be strong enough to stick up for themselves- well that's what the #metoo movement is about. Women sticking up for themselves. Or are they wrong because they weren't doing it back then, when they were first victimized? Well, tough, it's happening now, and maybe they didn't or couldn't stop it happening to themselves but they're doing what they can to prevent it happening to their daughters.

"Eyewitness testimony?" You mean like the girls who swore they saw Sarah Putnam bewitch a cow into giving sour milk? They said they saw it after all. That's eyewitness testimony, right?

Fascinating.

If it's a throwback to Salem it's the witches protesting. Getting together because they're vulnerable when they're alone.

Fascinating.
No, I mean eyewitness testimony that has rightfully put millions of criminals behind bars

No, I mean eyewitness testimony that has rightfully put millions of criminals behind bars

The reason they're behind bars is because a judge or jury listened to all of the evidence and then convicted them. That's different from a lot of people pointing fingers and expecting everyone to buy into the accused's guilt without a trial.

We have a good justice system, if we just remember that a suspect is innocent until proved guilty in that courtroom.

I've seen a few remarks about the me too movement referencing people who oppose the movement. I cannot imagine a scenario where someone can view this as a bad thing. Women are calling out sexual predators and abusers and making so that future generations won't feel the need to hide it. I decided it would probably derail the threads to ask there so gonna put it out here.

Do you support the Me Too movement?

Yes, I support it, because I'm not an asshole.

The reason they're behind bars is because a judge or jury listened to all of the evidence and then convicted them. That's different from a lot of people pointing fingers and expecting everyone to buy into the accused's guilt without a trial.

Says the guy who believes the Nunes memo because a proven liar says it is true. :lamo

A guy and a girl meet at a bar. They hit it off. After a few hours of drinking the guy asks the girl if she needs a ride home. She says that'd be great.

On the way home, the guy pulls over in a secluded area and quickly puts knife to the girls ribs.
He threatens to stab her if she doesn't comply with his demands.
Scared for her life she submits. He forces her to perform oral sex on him.

When it's over she's dropped off at her apartment complex or home and the dude speeds off.

She has no visible marks or cuts on her body.
She calls the police the next day and reports the crime.

It's basically a he said/she said incident with no physical evidence at all.

She claims he sexually assaulted her. He claims he did not.

You're gonna say he goes free, without charge, because she didn't wait for him to stick the knife deep into her side?????

Now, suppose three of five other women over the last 16 months have reported almost the same exact scenario involving this guy.
None of the women know each other at all. They have no connections to each other other than this one guy.

You suggest that without a third party witness, or without actual video footage of the assault, that this guy just goes free without charges?

If it's a throwback to Salem it's the witches protesting. Getting together because they're vulnerable when they're alone.

You just expressed what's wrong with the Me Too movement. They feel "vulnerable when they're alone." That's been my point all along. The idea that women are somehow weaker and unable to stick up for themselves. Keep it up -- you'll get them back under those burqas after all.

Says the guy who believes the Nunes memo because a proven liar says it is true. :lamo

You're reading comprehension is off again, as usual. I never said I "believed" it. It's not a religion that should be judged on "faith." I simply asked why the FBI was throwing such a fit if it was a nothingburger.

You're reading comprehension is off again, as usual. I never said I "believed" it. It's not a religion that should be judged on "faith." I simply asked why the FBI was throwing such a fit if it was a nothingburger.

No, you never said that
I might have thought it was a nothingburger had the FBI not thrown such a hissy fit over its release. And, they're still throwing that fit. I'd like to see the published response, but the fact that the dems are so enraged that they're writing up that response is also interesting.

They haven't actually come out and said anything in the memo was inaccurate, just that they want to put it into 'context.'

And the FBI clearly stated the memo is inaccurate. They also have not thrown a hissy fit. What they did was issue a statement
FBI Statement on HPSCI Memo
The FBI takes seriously its obligations to the FISA Court and its compliance with procedures overseen by career professionals in the Department of Justice and the FBI. We are committed to working with the appropriate oversight entities to ensure the continuing integrity of the FISA process.

With regard to the House Intelligence Committee’s memorandum, the FBI was provided a limited opportunity to review this memo the day before the committee voted to release it. As expressed during our initial review, we have grave concerns about material omissions of fact that fundamentally impact the memo’s accuracy.

If issuing a statement is a hissy fit, then president pansy has thrown several every day

You just expressed what's wrong with the Me Too movement. They feel "vulnerable when they're alone." That's been my point all along. The idea that women are somehow weaker and unable to stick up for themselves. Keep it up -- you'll get them back under those burqas after all.

Well that's a dumb response. Are you really trying to deny that women are physically weaker then men? Or that they're often in male-dominated circumstances? As for that stupid 'burqa' shot, makes no sense at all.
There's a problem. Denying it won't help the situation, but the #metoo movement will.
For some reason, folks taking matters into their own hands is alarming to some people. You'll just have to get used to being alarmed. This kind of thing is going to happen whenever it needs to.

Well that's a dumb response. Are you really trying to deny that women are physically weaker then men? Or that they're often in male-dominated circumstances? As for that stupid 'burqa' shot, makes no sense at all.
There's a problem. Denying it won't help the situation, but the #metoo movement will.
For some reason, folks taking matters into their own hands is alarming to some people. You'll just have to get used to being alarmed. This kind of thing is going to happen whenever it needs to.

And there we have it -- women are weaker and can't handle themselves.

The suffragettes must literally be rolling in their graves.

No, you never said that

And the FBI clearly stated the memo is inaccurate. They also have not thrown a hissy fit. What they did was issue a statement

If issuing a statement is a hissy fit, then president pansy has thrown several every day

You're missing the point that there's something in the memo that set the FBI off. And, no, the FBI did NOT say the memo was inaccurate -- they said they wanted to add "context."

I've never actually seen such a big stink over releasing a document as over this memo. If the FBI can show no bias was involved -- let them do so. If they don't do that -- they'll be facing a crediblity problem and the Mueller investigation will be tainted because of it.

Belief doesn't figure in.

And there we have it -- women are weaker and can't handle themselves.

The suffragettes must literally be rolling in their graves.

Women often ARE physically weaker
But I guess we should stop prosecuting muggers because it will convince law-abiding citizens that they cant handle themselves

Women often ARE physically weaker
But I guess we should stop prosecuting muggers because it will convince law-abiding citizens that they cant handle themselves

Mugging is a physical assault -- on either a man or a woman. LOL The Me Too movement is all about women getting together and telling about things that may or may not have happened years ago that they failed to report at the time. Huge difference.

And, acting as if women are weaklings isn't the answer.

It's an insult to strong women everywhere.

You're missing the point that there's something in the memo that set the FBI off. And, no, the FBI did NOT say the memo was inaccurate -- they said they wanted to add "context."

What makes you say the FBI threw a hissy fit? Eyewitness testimony?

And you are lying. The FBI did not say they wanted to add context. They said the memo is inaccurate

Again, here is what the FBI actually said
FBI Statement on HPSCI Memo
The FBI takes seriously its obligations to the FISA Court and its compliance with procedures overseen by career professionals in the Department of Justice and the FBI. We are committed to working with the appropriate oversight entities to ensure the continuing integrity of the FISA process.

With regard to the House Intelligence Committee’s memorandum, the FBI was provided a limited opportunity to review this memo the day before the committee voted to release it. As expressed during our initial review, we have grave concerns about material omissions of fact that fundamentally impact the memo’s accuracy.

There is nothing about adding context in that statement.
I've never actually seen such a big stink over releasing a document as over this memo. If the FBI can show no bias was involved -- let them do so. If they don't do that -- they'll be facing a crediblity problem and the Mueller investigation will be tainted because of it.

Belief doesn't figure in.

So because someone claims they saw evidence of bias --aka eyewitness testimony-- you believe the eyewitness testimony unless the FBI disproves it. But if a woman gives eyewitness testimony that she was sexually assaulted, the accused need not disprove it

Poor victimised sexual predators. :roll:

Many of them are. EVERYBODY is entitled to due process and a day in court. It's not right to try them in the court of public opinion. Lynch mob mentality.

The movement has the potential to become an abuse of power itself. How many innocent men are you willing to sacrifice on the altar of female domination?

"Female domination"? Sex and sexuality is in another section of this forum, my female-fearing friend :)

96f.jpg

? :spam:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom