• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McDonald's Worker Says She Was Required to Receive Pay on Fee-Laden Debit Card

Oh, so that's the standard? An employer can effectively short-change an employee if the employee agrees to it? If so, notify employers all over the country. This is great news for them! No more breaks, as long as the employee agrees to it beforehand as a condition of employment. No more costly safety precautions, as long as the employee agrees to it beforehand as a condition of employment. :roll:

She should have been smart enough to understand the new-hire paperwork. All my new-hires did, and every single one understood that there were fees attached to repeated card usage. They had to sign a document that showed all fees incurred by card usage.

I won't dispute that other employers pay with debit cards. Some do. Do they, however, pay via cards that have unavoidable fees attached? Can you answer that? Also, is the debit card option the ONLY option for these employees? Can you answer that?

Not all debit cards are created equal.

Nah, can't answer those questions. Anybody that is afraid of a lawsuit would clearly explain attached fees to card usage, or give a different option. We don't know that there weren't other options. Again, ComData offers ComCheks if the payroll was done through them. That is a .99 fee to cash a check. That option should be there. Was it? We don't know. It wasn't brought up in the article.

She should have been smart enough to understand the new-hire paperwork. All my new-hires did, and every single one understood that there were fees attached to repeated card usage. They had to sign a document that showed all fees incurred by card usage.
Was there no way whatsoever to avoid a fee? You say "repeated card usage". That could mean many different things.

Nah, can't answer those questions. Anybody that is afraid of a lawsuit would clearly explain attached fees to card usage, or give a different option. We don't know that there weren't other options. Again, ComData offers ComCheks if the payroll was done through them. That is a .99 fee to cash a check. That option should be there. Was it? We don't know. It wasn't brought up in the article.
As I understood the article there were no other options whatsoever.

As I understood the article there were no other options whatsoever.

I don't know. There's more to this story than meets the eye. The article reads that she was issued a JP Morgan/Chase Payroll Debit card. I got this from the JP Morgan/Chase site:

Why use Chase Payroll Card?

• Eliminate the costs of check issuance and processing
  • Streamline and simplify the overall payroll issuance process
  • Standardize payroll delivery using direct deposit
  • Offer the convenience of direct deposit to all employees

http://www.jpmorgan.com/tss/General/Chase_Payroll_Card/1125855840342

I don't know. There's more to this story than meets the eye. The article reads that she was issued a JP Morgan/Chase Payroll Debit card. I got this from the JP Morgan/Chase site:

J.P. Morgan | Chase Payroll Card

If you have a checking account you can get it directly deposited in there and have no issues. I assume for whatever reason she does not and rather than giver her a paper check they make her take the card that has fees. This is something they do for the employer to save money and time, not the employees.

J.P. Morgan | Chase Payroll Card
...strangely no mention of fees. Gee, I wonder why? "Convenience" does not necessarily equal free, and direct deposit to a free checking account at another bank would be just as "convenient" for the employee.

Of course they're going to spin it to make it sound like the best thing since sliced bread. It's called marketing, they're pushing a product from which they hope to make money.

...strangely no mention of fees. Gee, I wonder why? "Convenience" does not necessarily equal free, and direct deposit to a free checking account at another bank would be just as "convenient" for the employee.

Of course they're going to spin it to make it sound like the best thing since sliced bread. It's called marketing, they're pushing a product from which they hope to make money.

In case you are not aware, it is the same scheme that all social security recipients who did not set up direct deposit got pushed into in March.

If you have a checking account you can get it directly deposited in there and have no issues. I assume for whatever reason she does not and rather than giver her a paper check they make her take the card that has fees. This is something they do for the employer to save money and time, not the employees.

Yeah she has a bank account.

Gunshannon said she asked her employer if she could receive her wages through direct deposit at her credit union

Banks would much rather direct deposit, as would employers. So much easier, faster. Every time I've ever gotten paid by direct deposit, I never had issue with payroll, and it was usually 2 days earlier than everyone else.

I still think that there's more to this than meets the eye. The franchise owners, or McDonalds, have no reason to not let hourly employees be paid by direct deposit. It makes no sense.

Yeah she has a bank account.

Banks would much rather direct deposit, as would employers. So much easier, faster. Every time I've ever gotten paid by direct deposit, I never had issue with payroll, and it was usually 2 days earlier than everyone else.

I still think that there's more to this than meets the eye. The franchise owners, or McDonalds, have no reason to not let hourly employees be paid by direct deposit. It makes no sense.

It costs more than a check, at least with my payroll service. IDK about the cards' cost.

Sorry you just cant pay someone with a debit card out of spite and without someone noticing like accountants...

What happened to the payroll check????

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Like it or not, there are a lot of companies that do not pay via check. My company pays via direct deposit, period. You can make a special request for a paper check, but requiring someone to have a bank account and direct deposit is one of the things required to work there. 100% of the employees do it. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Americans have to pay a fee to use an ATM machine?? Wow.

If you don't have an account there, yes. Usually, it's no fee for any bank in which you have an account. You can usually walk into a bank and get money from your card with no fee, account or not.

In case you are not aware, it is the same scheme that all social security recipients who did not set up direct deposit got pushed into in March.
Are those debit cards fee-laden? And as you have no doubt noticed, the debit card concept is acceptable to me, not the fees.

In the interest of full disclosure I was on unemployment for a short while a couple years ago. During that time my state switched from direct deposit to debit card. Let's not kid ourselves, it's primarily for the convenience of the state (or employer), not the recipient*.

Anyway, with mine I was able to go to my bank and unload all the cash into my bank account, with no fee whatsoever. Fee-free cards DO exist.

It was a BofA debit card, for whatever that's worth. I recall reading something reassuring recipients that there would be no fees before they switched, and an explanation as to how and why, but I don't have access to that info anymore.

*-It was so convenient for me that I had to make a special trip to the bank, and get out of my car and go in because this type of transaction cannot be done at the drive-up window, for the same end result... money in my bank account. Sorry, not buying the convenience spin.

I suspect it's a matter of cost. The debit card bank offered them a cheaper service, or something like that.

Are those debit cards fee-laden? And as you have no doubt noticed, the debit card concept is acceptable to me, not the fees.

In the interest of full disclosure I was on unemployment for a short while a couple years ago. During that time my state switched from direct deposit to debit card. Let's not kid ourselves, it's primarily for the convenience of the state (or employer), not the recipient*.

Anyway, with mine I was able to go to my bank and unload all the cash into my bank account, with no fee whatsoever. Fee-free cards DO exist.

It was a BofA debit card, for whatever that's worth. I recall reading something reassuring recipients that there would be no fees before they switched, and an explanation as to how and why, but I don't have access to that info anymore.

*-It was so convenient for me that I had to make a special trip to the bank, and get out of my car and go in because this type of transaction cannot be done at the drive-up window, for the same end result... money in my bank account. Sorry, not buying the convenience spin.

My bank says they have to pay the ATM fee to draw cash off the card if they are not a customer of the bank. Beyond that I assume they are free. I am not retired and nobody I know who is uses them. They just direct deposit.

If you don't have an account there, yes. Usually, it's no fee for any bank in which you have an account. You can usually walk into a bank and get money from your card with no fee, account or not.
Yep. I'm very anal about fees, and I've paid an ATM fee exactly twice in the last 20 years... both times because I was in a remote location and had no other options. Shoot, as long as you're not too remote, you can always go to a grocery store or a Walmart and buy a soda or a pack of gum and get cash back... for free.

ETA: I know some people who spend between $50 to $100 a month in fees because they use whatever ATM is nearby without regard to which bank it is. I just shake my head. (One person did admit to me once that they need to stop doing that.)

Last edited:
My bank says they have to pay the ATM fee to draw cash off the card if they are not a customer of the bank. Beyond that I assume they are free. I am not retired and nobody I know who is uses them. They just direct deposit.

If I understand you correctly, this is pretty common. If you go to your own bank, no fee. If you go to another bank, there's a fee. Those are fees from the bank itself.

As I understand this scenario with the McD's franchise, there's a fee from the debit card issuer regardless where you are.

If I understand you correctly, this is pretty common. If you go to your own bank, no fee. If you go to another bank, there's a fee. Those are fees from the bank itself.

As I understand this scenario with the McD's franchise, there's a fee from the debit card issuer regardless where you are.

Yes. It sounds like they basically set it up like prepaid credit cards.

Interesting to me that this comes up at this time, as I apparently was unwittingly involved in a similar case. Many years ago, I worked for an outfit called Labor Ready. Just a few weeks ago, I received a card n the mail indicating that I am to receive a small amount of money as part of a class-action lawsuit that was brought against Labor Ready. One of the issues on which this suit was based is apparently very similar to the case now being discussed against the McDonald's franchise.

When I worked for Labor Ready, we had two options for getting paid. We could either get an old-fashioned paper check, or a “voucher”, which had a number that we would enter into a cash dispensing machine (CDM) to receive our pay in cash. The check was for the full amount we were owed. The CDM would round the pay down to the last dollar, and then charge an additional dollar beyond that as a fee; so if a worker had earned $49.50 that day, he would receive $48.00 in cash, and the $1.50 would be the fee that he was charged. I nearly always took my pay as a check, which I would stop at the bank on my way home and deposit. During a brief period of time when I was having some issues with my bank, I took my pay as cash from the CDM.

I guess the issue here, as with this McDonald's case, is pay being dispensed in a way in which the worker received less than he or she is due, and by an amount that could conceivably reduce the effective pay to below the legal minimum wage.

To me, the following seems notable in this story…

Gunshannon said she asked her employer if she could receive her wages through direct deposit at her credit union, which she said did not accept payments through the payroll card.
·
·
·​
After she was issued a JP Morgan Chase Payroll card, she requested a paper check from her employer.

A manager allegedly told her, "If you don't activate the card, there is no way for us to pay you," according to the court complaint.

McDonald's managers and assistant managers "have the option to receive wage compensation by way of direct deposit, thus avoiding fees," the complaint states.

"McDonald's does not provide a choice for hourly employees to receive their justly earned wages through a bank check, cash or direct deposit," the lawsuit said.

The franchise was set up to be able to pay its managers through direct deposit, and Ms. Gunshannon had a credit union account which would be able to receive such direct deposits. I can see no legitimate reason at all why the franchise should not have been willing and able to pay her through this mechanism, so that she could receive her pay without being burdened by undue fees. And if they were unwilling to do that, then they should have been willing to pay her with an old-fashioned paper check, as she also requested.

I note that by comparison, in the Labor Ready case in which affects me, I had one option available to receive my pay which did not involve any fees imposed by Labor Ready, or by any other business associated therewith. Had I not had a usable bank account, I would still have been able to receive my full pay in the form of a check, and would probably have had to pay some other check-cashing business, not affiliated with Labor Ready, to cash that check. I don't know how that fee would have compared to the fee imposed by the CDM, but at least it would not, then, have been any of Labor Ready's responsibility.

I'm not certain that I agree with this principle as it applies to the Labor Ready case (though I definitely do not disagree with it enough that I am going to turn down the small amount of money that it is sending my way), but I have to say that I very much agree with this principle as it applies to the McDonald's case. Given the lack of any options to avoid the fee, or even to have the fee go to some other business than the one that the employer chose, I just cannot see this as anything other than an illegal and unethical collusion between the McDonald's franchise and the debit card issuer to cheat the employee out of part of her pay.

LaborReadySuit.jpg

Last edited:
Where you been? It's happening, a lot more than you think.

Walmart is one of the biggest employers in the country, if not the biggest, and they pay by prepaid debit.

I know someone who worked at a convenience store and got paid via debit card too. I'm not sure if this person was given a choice or not, but I think every employee should be able to choose their method of payment. I have to wonder what's in it for the company to pay the employee in this manner?

So, is that fee laden claim true? I don't have a debit card. So, I have zero experience with fees. $1.50 ATM fee "sounds" reasonable. The 90 day thing is irrelevant and a 75¢ transaction fee isn't kind but "fee laden"?

So, real question folks. Don't hammer me as unsympathetic. Just edify me about ATM fees.

Yep. I'm very anal about fees, and I've paid an ATM fee exactly twice in the last 20 years... both times because I was in a remote location and had no other options. Shoot, as long as you're not too remote, you can always go to a grocery store or a Walmart and buy a soda or a pack of gum and get cash back... for free.

ETA: I know some people who spend between $50 to $100 a month in fees because they use whatever ATM is nearby without regard to which bank it is. I just shake my head. (One person did admit to me once that they need to stop doing that.)

I never pay fees because I never use ATMs and never carry cash, I pay for absolutely everything via credit card (almost all ATM cards have a Visa or Mastercard logo). The only time I ever use an ATM is on those rare occasions when I have to deposit a check and I haven't stepped foot inside of a bank in years. Doing it any other way makes no sense to me.

I've never used an ATM since the whole revolution happened either, as I can just get cash back from Wal-mart (when I'm not using my debit card, which is for practically anything).

I have an "Emerald Card" from H&R Block since I've moonlighted there during tax season for a while. The only two things I use it for are free - getting money back from a store, and routine transactions. Now balance transfers, ATM withdrawls, and a bunch of other stuff has fees - but so do credit cards, so it's no biggie.

In addition, I get "rewards" when I use it at certain locations.

75 cents a transaction is nasty. It's not like most people have 3 or 4 transactions a month. I use mine 3 or 4 times a day. That'd be a ridiculous fee fore me to keep up with.

On the other end of it businesses get shorted by customers all the time. Reward cards like the ones that give you back a percentage of what you spend take that portion from the business accepting the card. So if you pay a bill for $100 with a card that gives you 2% back the business is getting $98 minus processing fees. It has only become legal to charge the difference back to the customer recently.

On the other end of it businesses get shorted by customers all the time. Reward cards like the ones that give you back a percentage of what you spend take that portion from the business accepting the card. So if you pay a bill for $100 with a card that gives you 2% back the business is getting $98 minus processing fees. It has only become legal to charge the difference back to the customer recently.

Apples and oranges. There are multiple payment options a business can accept. If a business doesn't want to pay the fees of credit cards they have the option to not take credit cards and take only cash and/or check.

Apples and oranges. There are multiple payment options a business can accept. If a business doesn't want to pay the fees of credit cards they have the option to not take credit cards and take only cash and/or check.

They have that option, and they'd be fools to exercise it. A business that doesn't take plastic would see enough business dry up that they wouldn't balk at the miniscule fees involved.

Back
Top Bottom