• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McDonald's Literally Cannot Imagine How Its Workers Would Survive On Minimum Wage

McDonald's_Literally_Cannot_Imagine_How-f270f8d8f5a72cd12154e6f236dbadb9

Well, that pretty much says it all. I'll take that as an acknowledgment that they aren't paying an adequate wage.

Adequate for what? A life long career? Well, duh, it isn't supposed to be that.

$100 for phone/cable-- not needed
$150 for car -- get a bicycle at walmart for one months cost, or get a bus pass.
$100 for car/home insurance-- get rid of the car, it will drop this a lot.
$600 for rent? Ok, maybe some places. But get a room mate or two, that will help with electric also.

What is it now, $7-8 for a meal at McDs nowadays. To pay a "living" wage, how much then? Who is going to pay this $10-15 for a burger and fries? Exactly how many jobs will there be at McD's when only Bill Gates and Donald Trump can afford to eat there?

Work 80 hours a week at low end jobs, which is what the budget is based on, and then get back to us. Hell, just finding 2 jobs to work in tandem where you can get 80 hours of work in would be hard work.

Well damn. They should make better choices in their lives. If that is all your good for, then your getting over paid as it is.

If someone doesn't like where their choices have landed them, then too bad. Make better choices. Some people start of at such a level and then work their butts off to get better. Too bad the government then decides to take most of it away so they can buy votes from those too lazy to do anything for themselves.

$150 for car -- get a bicycle at walmart for one months cost, or get a bus pass.
$600 for rent? Ok, maybe some places. But get a room mate or two, that will help with electric also.

What is it now, $7-8 for a meal at McDs nowadays. To pay a "living" wage, how much then? Who is going to pay this $10-15 for a burger and fries? Exactly how many jobs will there be at McD's when only Bill Gates and Donald Trump can afford to eat there?

Actually a phone is necessary for work. If mgmt needs to call you they need to be able to reach you. And a car is necessary for a person with two jobs. Or are you living in lala land were one 40hr a week job is conveniently right next door to the next 40hr a week job?

No comments on the unrealistic $0 a month heating bill or the $20 a month health insurance?

Apparently you missed the point. McDonalds doesn't want to pay its employees a living wage, so the rest of us have to do it via welfare and food stamps.

Get an education and skills so you can get a job somewhere else.

Cut the $100 savings.

Apparently you missed the point. McDonalds doesn't want to pay its employees a living wage, so the rest of us have to do it via welfare and food stamps.

What is a living wage? Its a popular talking point of the left but never have they explained what it is. $8 hr? $10 hr? $12 hr? $36.50 hr?

Their wage is based on the business, would you spend $6 for a cheese burger that costs $2 now just so the workers can get paid more? How many people would? How many would keep doing it? Raise the prices of the goods to pay the employees more and you price yourself out of business.

You can only pay what the job is worth, if you could get a trained monkey to do the job it really shouldnt pay all that much.

Ah... no. If we were to reduce welfare and food stamps, there is no mechanism that would translate that into forcing McDonalds to increase its' wages.

:shrug: i was supporting a wife and a child and lived on not much more than this a month. Your OP doesn't say what you think it says.

Well damn. They should make better choices in their lives. If that is all your good for, then your getting over paid as it is.

That is great, but the world needs those burger flippers or else they would not get their tasty mcDpnald's fries. There also would not be any other fast food, nothing on the shelves at your local store, there would be garbage all over the place, you would be living in a lean to, and your life would pretty much suck ass without all those people you spit on from your high and mighty throne.
If someone doesn't like where their choices have landed them, then too bad. Make better choices. Some people start of at such a level and then work their butts off to get better. Too bad the government then decides to take most of it away so they can buy votes from those too lazy to do anything for themselves.

you have no idea, and you justify your selfishness with blindness and ignorance. Without those people you would not be able to wipe your own ass. i mean literally as there would not be any toilet paper. The world runs on the little people, and it is great that you can completely ignore that fact and pretend your life would be no different without them, but you should pray they never figure out that without them you are nothing, and your life would suck. My guess is that you are on some level aware of this and if your anonymity was taken away and your face posted up in the local stores around your house with your selfish quotes you would freak out.

That is great, but the world needs those burger flippers or else they would not get their tasty mcDpnald's fries. There also would not be any other fast food, nothing on the shelves at your local store, there would be garbage all over the place, you would be living in a lean to, and your life would pretty much suck ass without all those people you spit on from your high and mighty throne.

you have no idea, and you justify your selfishness with blindness and ignorance. Without those people you would not be able to wipe your own ass. i mean literally as there would not be any toilet paper. The world runs on the little people, and it is great that you can completely ignore that fact and pretend your life would be no different without them, but you should pray they never figure out that without them you are nothing, and your life would suck. My guess is that you are on some level aware of this and if your anonymity was taken away and your face posted up in the local stores around your house with your selfish quotes you would freak out.

People that make toilet paper get paid more than minimum wage, so you're talking out of your ass. Have you even been to a paper mill? Secondly, those burger flippers are doing it right now for minimum wage, so why should McDonald's pay them more? The trash is being picked up by people making more than minimum wage.

National Average Income for a Garbageman | Chron.com

See, you don't have a clue. You talk about us being WITHOUT those people, well we aren't without those people and never will be, so you don't have a point.

McDonald's_Literally_Cannot_Imagine_How-f270f8d8f5a72cd12154e6f236dbadb9

Well, that pretty much says it all. I'll take that as an acknowledgment that they aren't paying an adequate wage.

LOL, if you work two minimum wage jobs you're going to have a car payment and $100 in cable/phone bills?

Plus you get $27 to spend however you want every single day?

That's not bad at all.

Actually a phone is necessary for work. If mgmt needs to call you they need to be able to reach you. And a car is necessary for a person with two jobs. Or are you living in lala land were one 40hr a week job is conveniently right next door to the next 40hr a week job?

No comments on the unrealistic $0 a month heating bill or the $20 a month health insurance?

I've known several people who did not have a drivers license before entering the military. In man cities, it just is not a requirement.

Couple things about that list :

1. Food isn't on there. Are they just eating McDonalds?

2. Where can I get decent health insurance for $20 a month? Mine is $220.

Food is just a weakness of low-income folks, no doubt.

People that make toilet paper get paid more than minimum wage, so you're talking out of your ass.

Think about the process. It does not get on the shelves for free. If the stock boy, cashier, or other employees at the supermarket are not there you are wiping your ass with leaves. This is the problem with your theology, you only think about the parts of the equation you want to. But that is the way many selfish people are because it makes it much easier to only think of yourself.
Have you even been to a paper mill? Secondly, those burger flippers are doing it right now for minimum wage, so why should McDonald's pay them more? The trash is being picked up by people making more than minimum wage.

Exactly, and this is why the government needs to step in and do something. Simply this is the failure of capitalism. it is a lie that simply people will just not work if the money is not enough. There is no competition when the supply is less than demand. That is why regulations are needed because without them we would be back in the early days of this country where people worked in very unsafe conditions and became indentured servants because they ended up borrowing from their workplace to make ends meet.
National Average Income for a Garbageman | Chron.com

See, you don't have a clue. You talk about us being WITHOUT those people, well we aren't without those people and never will be, so you don't have a point.

You should keep praying those people never figure it out. I am pretty sure the slave owners of the south thought they would have slaves forever too, but look what happened to them. You are just as shortsighted as they are.

LOL, if you work two minimum wage jobs you're going to have a car payment and $100 in cable/phone bills?

Plus you get $27 to spend however you want every single day?

That's not bad at all.

the good part is after working an average of 11 hours a day at a labor intensive job seven days a week you won't have any desire to spend that money.

There's a solution - don't work at McDonalds if you're not a high school kid living at your parents' house.

This thread is done. Moving on.

Actually, I worked at McD's for a year before I went into the military. Only job, other than the military I have had during my adult life. But guess what, I didn't like being there, so I made a choice to move on to something else. As a junior enlisted in the military, you could only wish for minimum wage. Married E-5's with children still qualify for WIC assistance.

Yes, we need those people. Ok, I don't need the ones at McD's, Subway, maybe. But while you are looking at that "little guy", you have no clue what it costs everyone else to change his pay.

For fun, lets say we did raise minimum wage to $15/hr. OK, how do we pay for it? Take away from the rich, right? What about those who already made above $15/hr but didn't get a raise?

You and others seem to think that only the "Rich" own stock in companies. Guess what, so do Retirement funds and many others. If you reduce McD's profits by 50% or more to cover that pay raise, what happens? They pay reduced dividends, which means everyone who's retirement fund has that stock now has less money going into their retirement accounts and less investments that the account can purchase for them.

Then there is the capital loss due to the drop in value of the stock because the company no longer makes as much profits or pays as much dividends, assuming they did in the first place.

Now, take a company like walmart, they have over 1 million employees. You just raised their labor rates by over $5 million dollars per hour. Sorry, but prices are going to go up, drastically.

But the poor souls who's pay was not raised by an equal amount now have to spend more on necessities and have less to spend on other things. In some cases, probably a lot, that means that just the added costs of those necessities will push them over the limit of what they can afford. There goes their house, their car and they default on all their credit cards. So to compensate, everyone has to get raises.

So to compensate, everyone, but the rich who get their money from stocks and other instruments, gets a raise also. This drives prices even higher. Not to mention that those who have to sell on the international market now see their sales crash. Oh, well, they can always hire more Chinese workers to manufacture. Bye, bye a few million jobs more. And that does not include what will be lost due to increased automation.

Now, the Rich. Oh, they loose a bit. Say their worth goes down with the stock and they get less dividends. Might hurt a few, but probably not many. But, since they make less, they also pay less in actual taxes. So a Billionaire might loose $500 million. He still has $500 million. But what he doesn't do is invest until the market changes. Less investment equals less jobs. How many of them do you think keep all their money laying around in bank accounts? Most of it is in investments and in capital holdings. If someone owns 1 million shares in walmart and dividends drop from $3 dollars a share to $1 dollar a share, that person still makes $1 million for the year. Might hurt him a little, but not much. He can also probably afford to wait it out until the market recovers. But what does it hurt for those 10,000 plus in a fund that owns 1 million shares? Hurts them a lot. How many are near retirement age and just saw their retirement do a Enron on them?

1) You can eat very cheaply if you are willing to cook. Living for minimum wage and eating at McDonald's every day isn't really the brightest course in life.

2) They are probably talking about the employee percentage rather than the whole charge.

Last edited:
Actually, I worked at McD's for a year before I went into the military. Only job, other than the military I have had during my adult life. But guess what, I didn't like being there, so I made a choice to move on to something else. As a junior enlisted in the military, you could only wish for minimum wage. Married E-5's with children still qualify for WIC assistance.

Yes, we need those people. Ok, I don't need the ones at McD's, Subway, maybe. But while you are looking at that "little guy", you have no clue what it costs everyone else to change his pay.

For fun, lets say we did raise minimum wage to $15/hr. OK, how do we pay for it? Take away from the rich, right? What about those who already made above $15/hr but didn't get a raise?

You and others seem to think that only the "Rich" own stock in companies. Guess what, so do Retirement funds and many others. If you reduce McD's profits by 50% or more to cover that pay raise, what happens? They pay reduced dividends, which means everyone who's retirement fund has that stock now has less money going into their retirement accounts and less investments that the account can purchase for them.

Then there is the capital loss due to the drop in value of the stock because the company no longer makes as much profits or pays as much dividends, assuming they did in the first place.

Now, take a company like walmart, they have over 1 million employees. You just raised their labor rates by over $5 million dollars per hour. Sorry, but prices are going to go up, drastically.

But the poor souls who's pay was not raised by an equal amount now have to spend more on necessities and have less to spend on other things. In some cases, probably a lot, that means that just the added costs of those necessities will push them over the limit of what they can afford. There goes their house, their car and they default on all their credit cards. So to compensate, everyone has to get raises.

So to compensate, everyone, but the rich who get their money from stocks and other instruments, gets a raise also. This drives prices even higher. Not to mention that those who have to sell on the international market now see their sales crash. Oh, well, they can always hire more Chinese workers to manufacture. Bye, bye a few million jobs more. And that does not include what will be lost due to increased automation.

Now, the Rich. Oh, they loose a bit. Say their worth goes down with the stock and they get less dividends. Might hurt a few, but probably not many. But, since they make less, they also pay less in actual taxes. So a Billionaire might loose $500 million. He still has $500 million. But what he doesn't do is invest until the market changes. Less investment equals less jobs. How many of them do you think keep all their money laying around in bank accounts? Most of it is in investments and in capital holdings. If someone owns 1 million shares in walmart and dividends drop from $3 dollars a share to $1 dollar a share, that person still makes $1 million for the year. Might hurt him a little, but not much. He can also probably afford to wait it out until the market recovers. But what does it hurt for those 10,000 plus in a fund that owns 1 million shares? Hurts them a lot. How many are near retirement age and just saw their retirement do a Enron on them?

Well put. Those who are hurt the most by economic distortion and inefficiency are usually the most vulnerable.

What the OP does not mention is that the most likely alternative is not for some 16 year olds' labor to suddenly become worth $12 an hour. The most likely alternative is for that 16 year old not to be able to find employment at all.

Mine is even less than $20. It's called Canada.*

*PS. Our minimum wage workers in Canada make a lot more, too. In my province, it's $10.25 hr.

What you should try to grasp is that this is working 74 hours a week.

Dear libertarians: The majority of people working for minimum wage aren't teenagers. Jesus Christ what universe do you people live in?

Yes, I know that the majority aren't teens. But they should be.

Work 80 hours a week at low end jobs, which is what the budget is based on, and then get back to us. Hell, just finding 2 jobs to work in tandem where you can get 80 hours of work in would be hard work.

I worked low-end jobs since I was 14. I know hard work - I know what it feels like to only make minimum wage. That's why I went to school so I wouldn't have to live my life working at Dairy Queen.

What people are willing to work for shouldn't drive the lowest end of the pay scale. It should be driven by cost-of-living.

It should be and is driven by competition. This is so basic as to astound me that people don't understand the basics of how business works. The goal of management is to maximize profit. Pretty simple. That means controlling expenses as well as marking up the products or services. Companies pay what it takes to get employees capable of doing what they need done. If the employees they get aren't good enough, then they pay more to get better ones. If they can get suitable employees at a lower cost, they pay less. They wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't pay less. You can't just arbitrarily set some wage scale and fit everything else around it because you have to deal with competition.

Fast food restaurants normally hire teenagers that live at home or college students. It isn't a living wage nor is it inteneded to be. It is intended to be a supplement. If someone wants a living wage then fast food restaurants aren't the place to look for entry level work. If a potential employee has the skills to do better than an entry level job then he or she will seek it out, not go to work at McDonald's. Employers will hire that person at a higher wage because they need those skills. So the compeitition exists for prospective employees just as it does for employers. It is the marketplace that determines wages and salaries, not some arbitrary number.

Back
Top Bottom