• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McDonald's Literally Cannot Imagine How Its Workers Would Survive On Minimum Wage

Re: McDonald's Literally Cannot Imagine How Its Workers Would Survive On Minimum Wa

The only reason for school at this point is for a technical degree; doctors, engineers, biologists, and other sciences.

Even then, most of the information is freely available on the Internet.

Actually, those STEM jobs are in the minority, and even in many STEM fields we are seeing a lot of unemployment, particularly for new grads. If every unemployed person today became qualified for a STEM job, there still wouldn't be enough jobs to go around.

There are lots and lots of employers who prefer to hire college grads for some positions, regardless of what the degree was in. Particularly for entry level management positions. When I interviewed for the last job that I had, I was specifically told that the company would only hire a college grad for the position, although the position required no specific educational skills. the company just found that college grads tended to be more successful in that position. I wouldn't have even had the chance to interview without a degree.

Of course there are lots of jobs that require a non-stem college education by law or for the protection of the employer. Like accountants, teachers, lawyers, etc.

If a college degree does nothing else, it is an indicator to employers that the applicant has what it takes to follow through and finish something that takes 4 years. to many employers, it is what distinguishes the winners from the losers.

Re: McDonald's Literally Cannot Imagine How Its Workers Would Survive On Minimum Wa

You can make stats appear however you want. If you want to talk stats then start a thread but I am not a layman.

I typically don't try to "make them appear" like anything, I just paste the link (Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012) from the BLS.

There's really no place for droning on about impoverished families of four as the archetypal minimum wage recipients when the data are right there to show what mix really looks like.

Last edited:

I'm typically don't try to "make them appear" like anything, I just paste the link (Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012) from the BLS.

There's really no place for droning on about impoverished families of four as the archetypal minimum wage recipients when the data are right there to show what mix really looks like.

Dude, those stats show the demographics of those who make federal minimum wage or less and do not really say anything about poverty or standard of living. It explains who is making minimum wage but says nothing about what it is like. Is that the best you could do?

Dude, those stats show the demographics of those who make federal minimum wage or less and do not really say anything about poverty or standard of living. It explains who is making minimum wage but says nothing about what it is like. Is that the best you could do?

What do you mean "is that the best I could do?" I'm actually presenting data about the minimum wage. Who else is doing that? And two posts ago you were accusing me of being anecdotal? Kind of backwards.

Anyway, why would the BLS say anything about "what it's like?" Their task is not to paint a dreary picture for people to sway their opinions. Their task is simply to gather and report data, which is what they do. "What it's like" is subjective and entirely dependent on the other circumstances or characteristics of the person making that wage.

Click on the tables at the bottom of that page and the reader will see who makes the minimum wage according to selected characteristics, by census region and division, by state, by major occupation group, by major industry group, by educational attainment, by age and sex, by marital status, by usual hours worked per week, and so forth.

I get the impression some people don't want to really know what the actual characteristics of minimum wage workers are across the spectrum, because their reliance on this false archetype of a struggling family of four requires that they avoid actual data. In other words, actual data do not support the dreary picture the activists out there (including the President) are trying to paint.

Last edited:

Please explain this curious rise in the cost of living that you speak of and who or what is responsible for it.

It is difficult to discuss a situation with those who live under a rock and those who choose to ignore the obvious if the obvious contradicts their agenda.

McDonald's Literally Cannot Imagine How Its Workers Would Survive On Minimum Wa

Actually, those STEM jobs are in the minority, and even in many STEM fields we are seeing a lot of unemployment, particularly for new grads. If every unemployed person today became qualified for a STEM job, there still wouldn't be enough jobs to go around.

There are lots and lots of employers who prefer to hire college grads for some positions, regardless of what the degree was in. Particularly for entry level management positions. When I interviewed for the last job that I had, I was specifically told that the company would only hire a college grad for the position, although the position required no specific educational skills. the company just found that college grads tended to be more successful in that position. I wouldn't have even had the chance to interview without a degree.

Of course there are lots of jobs that require a non-stem college education by law or for the protection of the employer. Like accountants, teachers, lawyers, etc.

If a college degree does nothing else, it is an indicator to employers that the applicant has what it takes to follow through and finish something that takes 4 years. to many employers, it is what distinguishes the winners from the losers.

Ya, the degree is not a guarantee of employment, but getting a degree in religious studies and language, don't really offer many job opportunities that one can get without the degree.

I maintain that I don't know any hard working, intelligent and driven people that don't have jobs, or remain unemployed for long periods.

McDonald's_Literally_Cannot_Imagine_How-f270f8d8f5a72cd12154e6f236dbadb9

Well, that pretty much says it all. I'll take that as an acknowledgment that they aren't paying an adequate wage.
$100 pr month car insurence? Get in accidents much? Damn I pay literaly half that. Maybe take that $100 and go buy a peddle bike, save on insurence, fuel and the car at the same time; and you shouldn't have a car payment of any kind anyway regardles of your income.

McDonnalss is for highschoolers. Go get a free flagers certification and hold a road sign for $13+ an houre.

How do you even qualify for a morgage on minimum wage? And is that person living in more house than they need? Why does this person have cable? Extras like that are the first things you cut.

Last edited:

What do you mean "is that the best I could do?" I'm actually presenting data about the minimum wage. Who else is doing that? And two posts ago you were accusing me of being anecdotal? Kind of backwards.

Anyway, why would the BLS say anything about "what it's like?" Their task is not to paint a dreary picture for people to sway their opinions. Their task is simply to gather and report data, which is what they do. "What it's like" is subjective and entirely dependent on the other circumstances or characteristics of the person making that wage.

Click on the tables at the bottom of that page and the reader will see who makes the minimum wage according to selected characteristics, by census region and division, by state, by major occupation group, by major industry group, by educational attainment, by age and sex, by marital status, by usual hours worked per week, and so forth.

I get the impression some people don't want to really know what the actual characteristics of minimum wage workers are across the spectrum, because their reliance on this false archetype of a struggling family of four requires that they avoid actual data. In other words, actual data do not support the dreary picture the activists out there (including the President) are trying to paint.

What does "knowing about the characteristics of those making minimum wage" have to do with whether or not they can survive on it? It just is not relevant information. Please explain how it is.

Please explain this curious rise in the cost of living that you speak of and who or what is responsible for it.

My observation re the increase in the cost of living has been acknowledged by Faux Noooz. Suddenly now the obvious is "official."

Back
Top Bottom