• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell will step down as the Senate Republican leader in November after a record run in the job

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

WASHINGTON (AP) — Mitch McConnell, the longest-serving Senate leader in history who maintained his power in the face of dramatic convulsions in the Republican Party for almost two decades, will step down from that position in November.

McConnell, who turned 82 last week, was set to announce his decision Wednesday in the well of the Senate, a place where he looked in awe from its back benches in 1985 when he arrived and where he grew increasingly comfortable in the front row seat afforded the party leaders.

“One of life’s most underappreciated talents is to know when it’s time to move on to life’s next chapter,” he said in prepared remarks obtained by The Associated Press. “So I stand before you today ... to say that this will be my last term as Republican leader of the Senate.”

His decision punctuates a powerful ideological transition underway in the Republican Party, from Ronald Reagan’s brand of traditional conservatism and strong international alliances, to the fiery, often isolationist populism of former President Donald Trump.
=======================================================
Wonder who will replace him?

WASHINGTON (AP) — Mitch McConnell, the longest-serving Senate leader in history who maintained his power in the face of dramatic convulsions in the Republican Party for almost two decades, will step down from that position in November.

McConnell, who turned 82 last week, was set to announce his decision Wednesday in the well of the Senate, a place where he looked in awe from its back benches in 1985 when he arrived and where he grew increasingly comfortable in the front row seat afforded the party leaders.

“One of life’s most underappreciated talents is to know when it’s time to move on to life’s next chapter,” he said in prepared remarks obtained by The Associated Press. “So I stand before you today ... to say that this will be my last term as Republican leader of the Senate.”

His decision punctuates a powerful ideological transition underway in the Republican Party, from Ronald Reagan’s brand of traditional conservatism and strong international alliances, to the fiery, often isolationist populism of former President Donald Trump.

Good, nevermind he is chiefly responsible for enshrining gross sums of money in our politics, I think he should focus on his health after those troubling episodes.

Knowing the GOP: a batshit crazy lunatic who will do the bidding of Trump.

The GOP is an authoritarian cult of personality

Bye Cocaine Mitch!

Good riddence. An obstructionist who perfected the art of the filiibuster.

McConnell and Leonard Leo are the main architects of our corrupt and ****ed up Supreme Court.

Mitch can read the writing on the wall. His brand of 'ol school conservatism has been vilified and killed off by far-right/radical Trumpism.

Last edited:
Someone who will obey Lord Cheeto, pretty much the only criteria now for being a Republican.

GOP establishment will want Thune, MAGA will want potentially...Rick Scott.

Either way, the GOP civil war continues.

I'm thinking Tuberville would make a fine replacement. Compared to McConnell, Tuberville is spry and energetic, and Tuberville's time as a football coach with all the planning and strategizing that job entails makes him ready on day one.

MAGA.

He and Schumer are the Lizard Kings of the swamp. His replacement will probably be just as bad.

I'm thinking Tuberville would make a fine replacement. Compared to McConnell, Tuberville is spry and energetic, and his time as a football coach with all the planning and strategizing that job entails makes him ready on day one.

MAGA.

The man is a moron.

One of life’s most underappreciated talents is to know when it’s time to move on to life’s next chapter,”

--coming from the guy that hates change.

Age limits are needed.

Mitch McConnel is the last lion of the Senate.

He was a man who knew how to use legislative power.

There is NO ONE in the GOP leadership who can fill his shoes.

I did not agree with much of his politics, and was appalled by the way he torpedoed a lot of sensible reforms to protect the special intersts and politics of his party.

He also controlled where the money went.

And his stunt to keep Merrick Garland off the Supreme Court was reprehensible.

But he was a strong leader.

He controlled his caucus with an iron fist, and always had the votes.

Now that the GOP had devolved into a trumpian circus, he saw no future for the GOP.

I might ask, "Compared with whom?"

Furthermore, I am assuming there are various levels of moron, myself being in an upper level of course.

MAGA.

Just about anyone.

His brief tenure in the Senate has been a total embarrassment. Playing games with the Pentagon for no real good reason, and bible thumping.

The bi-partisan immigration bill debacle suggests that the best thing that could happen for Senate Republicans would be for Trump to lose the election and thus free their leadership to do what is best for the country as opposed to what's best for Trump's political fortunes.

he should have stepped down years ago

our DC is like an enhanced nursing home anymore :(

Ya think? It’s become the Cultpublican now, fealty to one man.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick someone like Josh Hawley or Tom Cotton.

I may not have ever agreed with Mitch McConnell, but goddamn it do I respect his ability to work the system.

Good riddance and /salute

What is presently unknown is whether Senate Minority Leader Addison McConnell will run for re-election in November and, if he does, whether he will be opposed by a Republican endorsed by Mr. Donald Trump.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Back
Top Bottom