• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell Opposes $1,400 Stimulus Checks Because He Thinks People Could Stop Working

Unemployment compensation was reduced, but it was done so as a means of attracting bipartisan support. Please remember it's not the Democrats that oppose unemployment enhancement and extension.

Your wording was strange and so i read it as though you were claiming a 50% decline. My apologies.

Ok. I don't think this idea would face much, if any, democrat opposition.

Nothing at all. Again, i believe you're purposefully misrepresenting blame to the level of strawman territory. Again, it's not Democrats that oppose anything you've mentioned.

There are two aspects of stimulus: increasing aggregate demand and boosting consumer confidence. Giving everyone $1400 will have less of an impact on AD than say unemployment stimulus, but the broad stroke will necessarily boost consumer confidence more so on the aggregate than UE extension/enhancement.

Write to your reps. Again, i don't believe dems would oppose this.

IMO, we are talking $3+ trillion with your proposal. And once again... it's not dems who oppose your proposition.

All good.
If Dems don't oppose slashing benefits, why did they do so, and then vote to keep them at the slashed level? Don't be ridiculous; Democrats did exactly what they wanted. There was zero bipartisan support for this bill; Democrats could have done anything they wanted; the fact that they chose to slash benefits and keep checks to six figure households shows everyone what they really are.

Ditto to my other points, though since those provisions were not included in the original bill, or any bills from last year, I'm understandably less mad that Democrats were more excited to pass checks onto 6 figure households than to compensate essential workers.

i think an experiment is in order. let's reduce Moscow McTurtle's salary to one $1,400 check and see if he stops working. oh, and also reduce his savings and investments to resemble one of the people he's worried will retire on $1,400. i'm not a big meanie, though. we won't make him try to retire in his expensive residences on that. we'll put him in a threadbare studio apartment in a reasonably priced area.
My question remains if stimulus doesn't reduce incentive to work, why did Democrats choose to slash unemployment benefits from $600 to $300 per week?

My question remains if stimulus doesn't reduce incentive to work, why did Democrats choose to slash unemployment benefits from $600 to $300 per week?

Joe Manchin, probably.

Now, what do you think about my proposed experiment? My prediction is that McTurtle would not retire for $1,400. If so, maybe some of us should toss in and send him a check for that amount.

The contempt that politicians have for regular people reveals why the country is in the rough shape it's in. They view themselves as modern nobility that need to keep the peasants in line.

If Dems don't oppose slashing benefits, why did they do so, and then vote to keep them at the slashed level?

I've already explained this. They were trying to compromise with Republicans. It didn't work. The GOP has opposed unemployment extensions and enhancement from the start.

Don't be ridiculous; Democrats did exactly what they wanted. There was zero bipartisan support for this bill; Democrats could have done anything they wanted; the fact that they chose to slash benefits and keep checks to six figure households shows everyone what they really are.

You're just attacking a strawman on the basis of partisanship... nothing more...

Ditto to my other points, though since those provisions were not included in the original bill, or any bills from last year, I'm understandably less mad that Democrats were more excited to pass checks onto 6 figure households than to compensate essential workers.

I get it. You're desperate to attack Dems with anything you can muster, and in this sense, attacking them for not ramming thorough higher levels of spending. Once this passes, it will be $5 trillion in fiscal stimulus in less than a year.

Complain all you want. Your faux outage falls on deaf ears.

Joe Manchin, probably.

Now, what do you think about my proposed experiment? My prediction is that McTurtle would not retire for $1,400. If so, maybe some of us should toss in and send him a check for that amount.
The current House of Representatives did not pass a bill with $600/week UE benefits in it. That was the previous congress, headed by a different party.

As for McTurtle, I don't suppose he would stop working for $1,400. I also don't suppose he would work for $10 an hour, but plenty of people do that. Heck, millions WANT to do that. So I don't know what that tells us.

I've already explained this. They were trying to compromise with Republicans. It didn't work. The GOP has opposed unemployment extensions and enhancement from the start.

You're just attacking a strawman on the basis of partisanship... nothing more...

I get it. You're desperate to attack Dems with anything you can muster, and in this sense, attacking them for not ramming thorough higher levels of spending. Once this passes, it will be $5 trillion in fiscal stimulus in less than a year.

Complain all you want. Your faux outage falls on deaf ears.
Wait... are you blaming Republicans for the contents of a bill that zero Republicans voted for, and passed with only Democrat support? A bill crafted by Democrats, that needed no Republican votes to pass? How in the world do you manage that mental twisting? What kind of partisanship does that require!? You actually are giving Republicans credit for this bill. Unbelievable.

McConnell Opposes $1,400 Stimulus Checks Because He Thinks People Could Stop Working

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday explained that he's opposing the $1,400 stimulus checks in President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion economic relief bill due to concerns that the payments could stop Americans from working.

It is hilarious to hear this from the person responsible for having well paid senators sitting on their asses and not doing their job during a big part of Trump's term.

I'll first do a disclaimer. Personal anecdotes may be potentially interesting but are not a compelling rebuttal.

I have two 20-something nephews who have been basically unemployed since last March. They worked on the Trump campaign for a while and since the election have been collecting unemployment again.

IMO, my Trump-supporting nephews are the evil freeloaders of which McConnell speaks. Which is ... ironic.

McConnell is pretty clearly talking about the book at large - which includes both increased UI payments and an expanded and monthly child credit. There is room to debate those, but, trying to tie it to just the 1400 piece comes off as hackery.

Wait... are you blaming Republicans for the contents of a bill that zero Republicans voted for, and passed with only Democrat support?

I'm only speaking of the facts.

1.) Republicans opposition to unemployment extensions and enhancement is well documented. It should be common knowledge for anyone participating in this discussion.

2.) Democrats do not oppose unemployment extensions / enhancement.

A bill crafted by Democrats, that needed no Republican votes to pass? How in the world do you manage that mental twisting? What kind of partisanship does that require!? You actually are giving Republicans credit for this bill. Unbelievable.

I'm only speaking to the facts.

You on the other hand are just desperate for ammo, and this lame attempt at faux outage is the best you've got.

The current House of Representatives did not pass a bill with $600/week UE benefits in it. That was the previous congress, headed by a different party.

As for McTurtle, I don't suppose he would stop working for $1,400. I also don't suppose he would work for $10 an hour, but plenty of people do that. Heck, millions WANT to do that. So I don't know what that tells us.

it tells us that most people aren't going to quit working for $1,400 because they can't.

And a good many people think McConnel should stop working as well ... !

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday explained that he's opposing the $1,400 stimulus checks in President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion economic relief bill due to concerns that the payments could stop Americans from working.

In an interview with Fox News, McConnell predicted that Democrats will unite and soon push the American Rescue Plan through Congress.

"At the end of the day, my guess is they all fall in line and it'll pass, with every single Democrat for it and every single Republican against," he said.

Asked by host Martha MacCallum whether he thinks the $1,400 would prevent "some people from wanting to work," McConnell said that was a concern that informed his position to oppose the direct payments.

"There is a concern about making it more advantageous to stay home rather than going back to work," the Republican leader said. "If we could do it all over again, we—meaning Republicans—may offer an alternative that we think fits the situation. And it's considerably less than $1.9 trillion. Five, maybe $600 billion, which is still an enormous amount of money."

Source

++++++++++++++++++++

Yes I'm sure having one month of rent or less paid out in a check will make everyone stop working. What a clown.

These well to do and wealthy Politicians spend $1400 as if its front pocket change.

Just how long do they think $1400 will last. The average person has more than that in "every month" expenses.

They are spinning in ignorance about the $2 Trillion... when there is 50 States and 320+ million People, and 100's of thousands of small family business, and various State Needs, Social Programming Needs. It's insanity.
If they had such concerns about spending, they should have thought about that nearly 20 yrs ago, when we set out to create massive wars that cost us many many Trillions of actual cost, and years of more cost to take care of the many people hurt and damaged, as well as the rebuilding cost.
They should have though about that 40+ yrs ago when they created "bought and paid for policy" to give Corporations every benefit they pursued to support them outsourcing everything they could outsource.

Republicanism is a damaging and danger to everything in America on every level.

This is why the United States can’t have nice things

When, in 1959, the city was ordered to desegregate the pool and allow Black residents to use it, the city shut down its entire parks department, sold the zoo animals and padlocked the community centre. And they filled the pool with concrete, and laid sod on the spot where it had stood. The pool has never reopened.

The council decided to drain the pool rather than share it with their Black neighbours,” McGhee writes. Cities across the country did the same — and the white residents of many set up new, private pools instead. In the Washington, D.C. area, 129 swimming clubs, including the one near my house, opened in the decade after pools were desegregated.

That didn’t just hurt Black people — it hurt everyone. And continues to. The “if I have to share with you, none of us can have it” mentality, McGhee argues, is the basis of the thinking that limits so much U.S. public policy debate to this day.

It starts with a zero-sum conception that any gain for someone else comes at your expense, and leads to people resisting such gains even if they would also directly benefit. The logic is found in the rhetoric concerning health insurance, the minimum wage, student loan forgiveness, or any number of other current national debates — even the anti-democratic pushes to limit voting and void results that led up to the recent Capitol insurrection.

The post-Great Depression welfare state helped build a massive white middle class. But when Black residents were poised to join, the pool of public assistance was drained.

end quote

Last edited:
I'm only speaking of the facts.

1.) Republicans opposition to unemployment extensions and enhancement is well documented. It should be common knowledge for anyone participating in this discussion.

2.) Democrats do not oppose unemployment extensions / enhancement.

I'm only speaking to the facts.

You on the other hand are just desperate for ammo, and this lame attempt at faux outage is the best you've got.
Democrats literally voted to slash unemployment benefits compared to a bill passed by Republicans last year. What are you even talking about!? If Democrats didn't oppose higher unemployment benefits, why did they remove them from the bill? They didn't compromise with Republicans, because no Republicans voted for it anyway. Democrats got to draft this bill all by themselves, and chose to slash unemployment benefits 50%. Heck, even after passing reduced unemployment payments they then voted to cut them FURTHER. Those are the facts. You're completely off the rocker on this one.

it tells us that most people aren't going to quit working for $1,400 because they can't.
I don't think anyone was worried about most people...

If Democrats didn't oppose higher unemployment benefits, why did they remove them from the bill?

Your refusal to accept my answer isn't a rebuttal. They were attempting to compromise.

They didn't compromise with Republicans, because no Republicans voted for it anyway.

Just because Republicans refuse to negotiate does not mean Democrats didn't try.

Democrats got to draft this bill all by themselves, and chose to slash unemployment benefits 50%.

Such rabid dishonesty. Unemployment enhancement is already $300. The only ones who voted to slash benefits were the Republicans who voted no across the board.

Heck, even after passing reduced unemployment payments they then voted to cut them FURTHER. Those are the facts. You're completely off the rocker on this one.

In the Senate bill, they kept unemployment enhancement as is while making the first $10k of UE benefits tax free. This still goes back to the house where they have enough votes to send it back to the Senate. Americans are up against the clock, and for the record....

Republicans do not want to help Americans. This bill might not be good enough to temper your fake outrage, but Democrats are voting to help the American people.

This is exactly what the Republicanism and certainly McConnell Mentality is:

A drained swimming pool shows how racism harms White people, too

White refusal to share resources available to all US citizens doesn't just hurt people of color. It damages their families and their future, too.
McGhee has a name for this pain. She calls it "drained-pool politics." If you want to know why the US has one of the most inefficient health care systems among advanced nations, some of the worst infrastructure and a dysfunctional political system, blame drained-pool politics, she says.
Those politics are built on a lie that many White Americans have bought for centuries: When Black or brown people gain something, White people lose.
"The narrative that White people should see the well-being of people of color as a threat to their own is one of the most powerful subterranean stories in America," McGhee writes in her book. "Until we destroy the idea, opponents of progress can always unearth it, and use it to block any collective action that benefits us all."
end quote

People across America are suffering and these Rabid Confederate Racist.. will do anything to damage anything in America if they think it will help anyone who is not white.

Joy Reid Said People On Right Would Trade Tax Cuts For Ability To Openly Say The N-Word

Joy Reid implied Thursday that “people on the right” enjoy using the n-word and would gladly “trade all the tax cuts” in order to be able to freely utter the racial slur.

“I’ll say it again: people on the right would trade all the tax cuts for the ability to openly say the n-word like in ‘the good old days.’ To them, not being able to be openly racist and discriminatory without consequence is oppression. Trump is the avatar for this ‘freedom,'” Reid tweeted.
end quote

Reagan Administration, created a whole list of "Code Words"
"This sort of coded speech operates on two levels," he says. "It triggers racial anxiety and it allows plausible deniability by crafting language that lets the speaker deny that he's even thinking about race."
end quote

We all know exactly why Republican did not vote for the COVID Program Proposed by Biden

Democracy Loving and Democracy Respecting People who support Equality for All, should NEVER VOTE FOR ANOTHER REPUBLICAN ON ANY LEVEL.

Last edited:
America needs the next 16-24 yrs of Democratic Leadership... and it needs it on National Federal Level, State Congress, and State Covernors and County Commissioners and Parish Commissioner and City Councils and School Board... To FIX THE MESSES created and casued by Republicanism's Confederacy Ideals and Agenda and the damages it has done to America.
By then We can Educate American People on The Civics of American Democracy and watch the demise and demolition of Republicanisms Confederacy Attach upon America and American Democracy.
By then we can learn the fact that we don't need "Political Parties', because the mere existence is based on "Divisiveness, In 25 years, when we have a society that is smart and educated enough in critical thinking to read and understand policy for themselves.

Individual Person simply vote on the Representative who represent the policy, That representative must be able to define how their stand on policy relates to the nation, the states, cities, communities and people.
When we also have 'public funded candidates" and to be a candidate one must have no less than 5 yrs of public service, and cannot accept one penny from any lobbying faction.

NO MORE Campaign Fund Raising, anyone who tries to raise such funds, those funds are taxed at 99.9% !!! so they won't have any collected fund to use to damage our campaign programming.

Then we can get to respecting the principle of "One Person, One Vote". With the internet, any politician who can meet the criteria can set up a website to present their position when running, This way, they can be held to account for their statements.

It will be everyone's responsibility to be a responsible voter... That's the great future benefit of "Cell Technology". Anyone has access to go read on who they want to vote for.

In an interview with Fox News, McConnell predicted that Democrats will unite and soon push the American Rescue Plan through Congress.

"At the end of the day, my guess is they all fall in line and it'll pass, with every single Democrat for it and every single Republican against," he said.

Asked by host Martha MacCallum whether he thinks the $1,400 would prevent "some people from wanting to work," McConnell said that was a concern that informed his position to oppose the direct payments.

"There is a concern about making it more advantageous to stay home rather than going back to work," the Republican leader said. "If we could do it all over again, we—meaning Republicans—may offer an alternative that we think fits the situation. And it's considerably less than $1.9 trillion. Five, maybe $600 billion, which is still an enormous amount of money."

Source

++++++++++++++++++++

Yes I'm sure having one month of rent or less paid out in a check will make everyone stop working. What a clown.

I can only speak for myself and people i know. I lost my job late last year. I don't want to look for a job other than the bare minimum to continue qualifying for unemployment. Unemployment, all these stimulus checks... Why would I?

The same with my old co-workers that were also laid off. One wants to retire, but wont because of all this extra unemployment and stimulus money we keep getting. He will officially retire from our old company once the govt stops raining cash on us.

We're all just enjoying our government paid time off. A lot of people are just putting their stimulus in to the stock market - helping to create bubbles. I've been using my time off to day trade - thank you government.

I can only speak for myself and people i know. I lost my job late last year. I don't want to look for a job other than the bare minimum to continue qualifying for unemployment. Unemployment, all these stimulus checks... Why would I?

The same with my old co-workers that were also laid off. One wants to retire, but wont because of all this extra unemployment and stimulus money we keep getting. He will officially retire from our old company once the govt stops raining cash on us.

We're all just enjoying our government paid time off. A lot of people are just putting their stimulus in to the stock market - helping to create bubbles. I've been using my time off to day trade - thank you government.
Everyone does not think like that!!! Young people have their entire lives ahead of them... they want to begin to build their future, but they need this help "Now". They don't expect to get these checks for the rest of their lives.

I think when the Pandemic is over, The Government should "tax corporations for every full time employee, who is not earning enough to pay the basic living expense such such as median rental rates established by HUD, and the HUD researched work of what it cost to cover the basics.

Corporation should not be allowed to underpay people, FULL WELL KNOWING their employees will have to rely on government assistance to make up the difference. That's a constructed means of corporation pushing their responsibility on the Government, so they can claim astronomical profits for the wealthy investors.
It's criminally insane for corporations to claim $Billions and $10's of Billion of profit, while not paying employees wages that meet the standard of living cost.

Lol.

After Millionaire Mitch, the wealthiest folks in Kentucky are the moonshiners.

Thinking about McConnell letting Trump slide while Trump declined to pursue charges against his wife.

The corrupt really is breathtaking.
Yes the kleptocracy that the one term mistake represents is really frightening and the crimes that he committed in office were unprecedented.

Everyone does not think like that!!! Young people have their entire lives ahead of them... they want to begin to build their future, but they need this help "Now". They don't expect to get these checks for the rest of their lives.

A lot of people are thinking like me. They're enjoying their govermnment funded time off. I have no doubt there are some that really need the assistance, but I don't believe its many as you think and definetly not as many as are receiving the assistance.

Go check out Wallstreet Bets and other stock related sites to find out what many plan on doing with their stimulus checks and how others plan on playing that reality. Gamestop and other reddit fueled stocks, pumped up as people threw their stimulus into it.

Back
Top Bottom