• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

McCain Rejects Controversial Pastor's Endorsement

Dunno. Freaks like that are always funny.

Anyone here old enough to remember Oral Roberts and Jimmy Swaggart?

I still say Pat Robertson is the best. A few intolerant comments can't top a guy who claims he can leg-press 2000 pounds, and who actively promotes the brutal oppression of an entire nation because of his personal investment in a diamond mine. He's just so delightfully evil. :lol:

I still say Pat Robertson is the best. A few intolerant comments can't top a guy who claims he can leg-press 2000 pounds, and who actively promotes the brutal oppression of an entire nation because of his personal investment in a diamond mine. He's just so delightfully evil. :lol:

Though irrelevant, Jack Van Impe makes me laugh the hardest.

Unlike Obama who said he could no way reject his racist preacher mentor who said no way could I reject the rev Wright then I can the black race McCain rejects this guy right away and he is not even his minister like Wright was for 20 years with Obama.......

Barack Obama: On My Faith and My Church - Politics on The Huffington Post

McCain rejected this guy right away? Navy.....do you really think people are going to believe that. He just rejected it yesterday.....he actively sought out the endorsement months ago....and yet....before and since that time, these outrageous statements had been widely known....and yet....McCain doesn't denounce them until yesterday.....I guess better late than never.....

I sense that now that the whole Wright thing has run its course and the GOP has gotten all that they can get out it.....McCain sensed that he could face problems of his own if he didn't come clean....

Personally.....I don't think that McCain or Obama should be judged by the outrageous statements of other people......but for some on these boards....they love to condemn one side...and turn a blind's eye to the other.

No, God didn't do it, that's the part Hagee got wrong, I believe. God left our actions up to us after Jesus rose. All he probably meant to say was that the Jews were supposed to find their way back to Israel. The holocaust thing was probably a theory of his he uttered aloud, because it sort of did get them back there.

I've had my own theories that I was musing over that have got me into trouble. ;)

That's my theory on why he said that, but I don't know him, but I heard he's a normal Baptist preacher that the media likes to bother, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I don't watch him or anything. I could be wrong, and maybe I'M misunderstanding what his point was. All I really know is that land belongs to Israel and they're gonna keep going back there.

As a Catholic, I applaud McCain for rejecting the endorsement of such bigoted "pastors" in the South. I met so many bigoted pastors and parishoners when I lived in the South that it did not exactly endear me to the Baptist denomination and other fundies that dominate the religious scene in much of the south.

I wish McCain had disowned the endorsement more quickly, but I suppose "better late than never."

However, I do resent the comparison with a certain Senator who attended the church of a bigoted pastor for 20 years, married him, and served as his religious mentor.

I'm really curious, but what do Catholics feel about Baptists? I'm guessing they feel the same about us as we feel about Catholicism. That's not Bigotry, that's the effect of two groups believing different things about their religion. Perfectly natural. Now if you've been beaten up by preachers, that's a very different thing, but just disagreeing with someone is not bigotry. ^^

Unlike Obama who said he could no way reject his racist preacher mentor who said no way could I reject the rev Wright then I can the black race McCain rejects this guy right away and he is not even his minister like Wright was for 20 years with Obama.......

Barack Obama: On My Faith and My Church - Politics on The Huffington Post

Really, the point is that none of the candidates should hypocritically pander to the religious vote by seeking or making a point of accepting the backing of preachers, especially famous TV preachers.

So God caused the holocaust to get the Jews back to Israel? Belle, you faithfully worship the Christian God. In your mind do you think that God would commit one of the worst Genocides in history just get a group back to Israel? Hagee has made a terrible mistake, you are going to have trouble defending him on this one.

This preacher is not alone, I heard the same words (read interpretation of the prophecies) more than 20 years ago by a Messianic dude.

Besides, the god of the bible did choose enemies of Israel to attack and kill "his own people". As an example you have Nebuchadnezzar to whom the god of the bible called him as "my servant".

Just have a reading to the commentaries of this guy

Dr. Claude Mariottini - Professor of Old Testament: Nebuchadnezzar: King of Babylon

See? "this servant" (Nebuchadnezzar) of the god of the bible was rised with the purpose to punish this god's people. And if you read about him in the bible, this king had no mercy, he killed, he murdered, he destroyed...

Now think about it.

Jerusalem is occupied in 1917 by England. According to I heard 20 years ago, the call to populate the promossied land by the Jews was made. But, guess what...the Jewish guys were living in great wealth in all Europe and they refused to go to such a land which in that moment wasn't more than dry land full of rocks everywhere.

To use another "Nebuchadnezzar" to make his people to go back to the promissed land makes sense after all.

If the propphecies found in the bible are to mention the history of man from his creation until his redemption, the persecution and prosecution of Jews at such great number cannot be ignored in the prophecies.

This prophecy of an event of such magnitude must be somewhere in the bible, otherwise "such holocaust never happened" according to the bible.

This priest may not be wrong after all.

I'm really curious, but what do Catholics feel about Baptists? I'm guessing they feel the same about us as we feel about Catholicism. That's not Bigotry, that's the effect of two groups believing different things about their religion. Perfectly natural. Now if you've been beaten up by preachers, that's a very different thing, but just disagreeing with someone is not bigotry. ^^

Actually, we regard Baptists and other Protestants as fellow Christians and we pray for their reunification with the universal Church of Christ - that being the Catholic Church. We also pray for you as brothers and sisters in Christ despite the temporary separation that we have today.

This is different from my experience as to what Baptists regards us as. I have been called a cultist, a papist, and many other things including a non-Christian by Baptists (even by a Baptist minister) because I am part of the only Christian church that can trace its origins back to the first century.

Actually, we regard Baptists and other Protestants as fellow Christians and we pray for their reunification with the universal Church of Christ - that being the Catholic Church. We also pray for you as brothers and sisters in Christ despite the temporary separation that we have today.

This is different from my experience as to what Baptists regards us as. I have been called a cultist, a papist, and many other things including a non-Christian by Baptists (even by a Baptist minister) because I am part of the only Christian church that can trace its origins back to the first century.

That's very interesting. I've noticed that Baptists do seem a bit harsh, but I and I believe others do mean well. We do want people to know the truth of the Bible, and I think we are genuinely worried for others, because some of the other denominations have stuff that looks to go directly against the Bible. (Too much stuff to mention)

I think our preachers just aren't afraid to let people know that they're doing it wrong, and it makes them look mean, but if they don't let people know, who will? It's their job to preach the Bible and let God sort it out. Suppose our way did turn out to be the right way and the preachers were too afraid of PC to actually let anybody else know. That would be aweful of them as preachers and God would probably be dissappointed in them as preachers.

We do not hate Catholics or anybody else for that matter, or we aren't supposed to. Although, calling people names isn't very nice. They are just supposed to let people know what's in the KJV (and technically the NKJV).

I hope you understand what I mean, I really don't think they are trying to be hateful, but just let you know what they are supposed to. I tried to explain it the best I could. :)

That's very interesting. I've noticed that Baptists do seem a bit harsh, but I and I believe others do mean well. We do want people to know the truth of the Bible, and I think we are genuinely worried for others, because some of the other denominations have stuff that looks to go directly against the Bible. (Too much stuff to mention)

Catholics are concerned for others as well. We are also concerned about the damage done by Martin Luther, further splitting the Christian Community and Church. If you look at the results of that movement, the Protestant Reformation, it has spawned the greatest fracturing of the Christian movement seen in the history of our faith.

I think our preachers just aren't afraid to let people know that they're doing it wrong, and it makes them look mean, but if they don't let people know, who will? It's their job to preach the Bible and let God sort it out. Suppose our way did turn out to be the right way and the preachers were too afraid of PC to actually let anybody else know. That would be aweful of them as preachers and God would probably be dissappointed in them as preachers.

That's fine - to a point. However, it is the Protestants who have fractured the Christian family to the extant that it has been today. The only hate speech I hear is coming from Protestants (including Baptists) like Hagee and many others. I think God is disappointed in ALL of us that we have allowed the Christian family to become as fractured as it has, but by far the largest share still resides in the Catholic Church.

We do not hate Catholics or anybody else for that matter, or we aren't supposed to. Although, calling people names isn't very nice. They are just supposed to let people know what's in the KJV (and technically the NKJV).

Why the KJV? It isn't even complete?

I hope you understand what I mean, I really don't think they are trying to be hateful, but just let you know what they are supposed to. I tried to explain it the best I could. :)

I appreciate your explanation and thank you for it. I have no problems with you. I have nothing but respect for your advocacy of your faith. I don't hear hate speech coming out of you, though your initial defense of Hagee's Hitler-Jew remark was unfortunate.

I pray for the day that all Christians can once again pray together under the same roof. The ongoing reconciliation between the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church should provide a model for reconciliation with the various Protestant groups.

However, I do resent the comparison with a certain Senator who attended the church of a bigoted pastor for 20 years, married him, and served as his religious mentor.

Obama got married to Wright? :lol:

Catholics are concerned for others as well. We are also concerned about the damage done by Martin Luther, further splitting the Christian Community and Church. If you look at the results of that movement, the Protestant Reformation, it has spawned the greatest fracturing of the Christian movement seen in the history of our faith.

That's fine - to a point. However, it is the Protestants who have fractured the Christian family to the extant that it has been today. The only hate speech I hear is coming from Protestants (including Baptists) like Hagee and many others. I think God is disappointed in ALL of us that we have allowed the Christian family to become as fractured as it has, but by far the largest share still resides in the Catholic Church.

Why the KJV? It isn't even complete?

I appreciate your explanation and thank you for it. I have no problems with you. I have nothing but respect for your advocacy of your faith. I don't hear hate speech coming out of you, though your initial defense of Hagee's Hitler-Jew remark was unfortunate.

I pray for the day that all Christians can once again pray together under the same roof. The ongoing reconciliation between the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church should provide a model for reconciliation with the various Protestant groups.

And I appreciate your response, I have no problem with you either. :) I do honestly hope every Christian, and really every person, makes it to heaven, but unfotunately that's not what the Bible says, (at least about every person making it) I still really do hope for it though.

Well, this is going to sound unPC and I am sorry but please bear with me... What I learned is that the Catholic church became corrupt in or around the Dark Ages, and added and subtracted a whole bunch of books to the Bible (which I believe the Bibles says you shouldn't add to it or subtract from it) and so King James went and had all the scrolls from biblical times that were found directly translated to English, and that's what we believe we are supposed to use. That's just what I've been told.

If you want a mean Baptist Preacher, that's Fred Phelps. He's the only really crasy one I know of.

I really do like discussing different denominations of Christianity, it's very interesting. :)

Unless its Joel Osteen, the Presidential candidates in this country should run, fast, in the opposite direction from any preachers who want to back them. Those big mouths only seem to bring embarrassment to those in the race:

LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- John McCain on Thursday rejected the endorsement of televangelist John Hagee after it was reported that the pastor once argued the Nazis operated on God's behalf to root out Jews in Europe and get them to Palestine.

McCain rejects controversial pastor's endorsement - MarketWatch

Too little too late. McCain has stepped in a very large cow-pie and by throwing these preachers under the bus will loose a very large portion of the religious right votes.

Too little too late. McCain has stepped in a very large cow-pie and by throwing these preachers under the bus will loose a very large portion of the religious right votes.

I disagree. Perhaps as a Catholic, I am taught that we need to forgive. If I didn't, I would be a hypocrit because the Lord's Prayer says:

Our Father, who art in Heaven;
Hallowed be Thy name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done;
On earth as it is in Heaven;
Give us this day our daily bread;
And forgive us our trespasses;
As we forgive those who trespass against us;

And lead us not unto Temptation;
But deliever us from Evil.

I would be a hypocrit if I prayed this every and did not make a sincere effort to live it.

And I appreciate your response, I have no problem with you either. :) I do honestly hope every Christian, and really every person, makes it to heaven, but unfotunately that's not what the Bible says, (at least about every person making it) I still really do hope for it though.

Though Catholics (as well as Anglicans) are far more inclusive regarding who God will admit into Heaven than most Protestants are.

Well, this is going to sound unPC and I am sorry but please bear with me... What I learned is that the Catholic church became corrupt in or around the Dark Ages, and added and subtracted a whole bunch of books to the Bible (which I believe the Bibles says you shouldn't add to it or subtract from it) and so King James went and had all the scrolls from biblical times that were found directly translated to English, and that's what we believe we are supposed to use. That's just what I've been told.

Actually, it was the Catholic Church who preserved civilization through the Dark Ages, including the Scriptures. The Catholic Canon was decided upon prior to the "Dark Ages" and had not been changed through that era. It was changed by a man named Martin Luther when he began the Protestant Reformation - though if he had seen what became of it, he might have changed his mind.

Do you honestly believe King James and his men could have done a better job with the scriptures than the early Church fathers? I certainly do not. Remember, the King James version came from a Church whose sole reason for its foundation was so that a king could get an annulment.

If you want a mean Baptist Preacher, that's Fred Phelps. He's the only really crasy one I know of.

I have heard of him. A real nutcase. I have also had bad experiences in Greenville, SC. I was dating a Taiwanese girl (not the one I eventually married) when I visited some friends there once and they verbally accosted me as a sinner because I am white (I appear white, but I am in reality biracial) and she is Asian.

I really do like discussing different denominations of Christianity, it's very interesting. :)

As do I. However, I think it is sad that the Family of God is so divided into many different denominations. I hope the Protestants and Eastern Orthodox can rejoin us so we can proclaim the word and kingdom of God together.

I disagree. Perhaps as a Catholic, I am taught that we need to forgive. If I didn't, I would be a hypocrit because the Lord's Prayer says:

Our Father, who art in Heaven;
Hallowed be Thy name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done;
On earth as it is in Heaven;
Give us this day our daily bread;
And forgive us our trespasses;
As we forgive those who trespass against us;
And lead us not unto Temptation;
But deliever us from Evil.

I would be a hypocrit if I prayed this every and did not make a sincere effort to live it.

Yes we are to forgive but we are discussing the religious right and how they will react, politically, to McCain throwing two "highly" respected protestant preachers under the bus.

They won't see McCain's conduct as a sin but as an abandonment of their values, preachers and theology. This, I believe, will disqualify McCain in their eyes but of course is only my opinion. The voting in November will be the true test.

Though Catholics (as well as Anglicans) are far more inclusive regarding who God will admit into Heaven than most Protestants are.

How is that? Baptists stress that anyone who believes Jesus was crucified and rose again for the sins of the world, no matter who they are, go to heaven. As far as I know, no one is excluded from knowing Jesus Christ.

Actually, it was the Catholic Church who preserved civilization through the Dark Ages, including the Scriptures. The Catholic Canon was decided upon prior to the "Dark Ages" and had not been changed through that era. It was changed by a man named Martin Luther when he began the Protestant Reformation - though if he had seen what became of it, he might have changed his mind.

Do you honestly believe King James and his men could have done a better job with the scriptures than the early Church fathers? I certainly do not. Remember, the King James version came from a Church whose sole reason for its foundation was so that a king could get an annulment.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what to think about that. I don't know... We both learned different sides of the event, I can't tell which side is true...

I have heard of him. A real nutcase. I have also had bad experiences in Greenville, SC. I was dating a Taiwanese girl (not the one I eventually married) when I visited some friends there once and they verbally accosted me as a sinner because I am white (I appear white, but I am in reality biracial) and she is Asian.

I don't know what marrying an Asian has to do with sinning. Actually bi-racial marriage isn't a sin in the Bible as far as I know.

As do I. However, I think it is sad that the Family of God is so divided into many different denominations. I hope the Protestants and Eastern Orthodox can rejoin us so we can proclaim the word and kingdom of God together.

Me too. I do believe we did get split, and everybody is doing the best to be God's Children they know how. :)

Replied in bold. :)

Yes we are to forgive but we are discussing the religious right and how they will react, politically, to McCain throwing two "highly" respected protestant preachers under the bus.

They won't see McCain's conduct as a sin but as an abandonment of their values, preachers and theology. This, I believe, will disqualify McCain in their eyes but of course is only my opinion. The voting in November will be the true test.

These people are bigots and McCain is right to throw them under the bus. I hope most of the religious right isn't bigoted, but as a Catholic, many of the evangelical leaders has said things that to me as a Catholic are absolutely unacceptable and continues to fuel bigotry against Catholics in the South.

How is that? Baptists stress that anyone who believes Jesus was crucified and rose again for the sins of the world, no matter who they are, go to heaven. As far as I know, no one is excluded from knowing Jesus Christ.

What about people who never heard the name of Christ in their lifetime on earth?

Hmmm, I'm not sure what to think about that. I don't know... We both learned different sides of the event, I can't tell which side is true...

It is a historical fact. The canon of the Bible was determined prior to the fifth century, during the Roman era. It remained unchanged until Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation.

I don't know what marrying an Asian has to do with sinning. Actually bi-racial marriage isn't a sin in the Bible as far as I know.

I agree. We are all children of God, regardless of our race. Tell that to the bigots of Bob Jones' University, which is a Baptist university.

Me too. I do believe we did get split, and everybody is doing the best to be God's Children they know how.

We would be better of everyone put together past grudges and rejoined the only Church that can trace its origins to the first century.

What about people who never heard the name of Christ in their lifetime on earth?

My grandmother told me about exactly that. She said that the people who really truly have never heard about Jesus will get into heaven anyway, same for Children under the age of accountabilty (which is why we disagree with Catholics baptizing babies, we believe getting saved is personal between you and God and you do it when you're ready.

It is a historical fact. The canon of the Bible was determined prior to the fifth century, during the Roman era. It remained unchanged until Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation.

Hmm, I knew my school was dumb, but dang. I'll take your word, I don't know enough about it to argue. ^^

I agree. We are all children of God, regardless of our race. Tell that to the bigots of Bob Jones' University, which is a Baptist university.

Sadly Christians aren't perfect, even if they are saved. Whoever did that isn't very nice. :/

We would be better of everyone put together past grudges and rejoined the only Church that can trace its origins to the first century.

Probably, but another thing that we disagree on Catholics about, the Pope just writes and detracts rules whenever he wants, doesn't he? It just makes us uncomfortable as Christians to listen to a man instead of to Jesus and God ourselves. That's a little too close to breaking the first and second commandments with all the saints and people. The saints are the saved people who make it to heaven.

^^^^^ <-------

My grandmother told me about exactly that. She said that the people who really truly have never heard about Jesus will get into heaven anyway, same for Children under the age of accountabilty (which is why we disagree with Catholics baptizing babies, we believe getting saved is personal between you and God and you do it when you're ready.

I don't know if you are familiar with the Narnia series, but it is one big analogy of the Christian story written by one of the great modern Christian writers, C.S. Lewis. He wrote from an Anglican perspective, but it is very similar to the Catholic line of thinking.

In the seventh book, Lewis has Aslan presenting a viewpoint that is very much a summation of what many Catholics and Anglicans feel about salvation. In the series, there are two competing "deities" - Aslan (representing the Holy Trinity) and Tash (representing other spirits believed by humanity). One character, from Calormen faithfully served Tash, but as he was doing good works in what he believed was in a faithful manner, Aslan accepted it as service to him. In a similar way, I believe that even you you say you are providing service to the spirits commonly believed in in Asia or other parts of the world, if you are doing it faithfully in a manner consistent with the love of God, then God and Jesus accept that service.

Hmm, I knew my school was dumb, but dang. I'll take your word, I don't know enough about it to argue. ^^

Not dumb - just bigoted.

Sadly Christians aren't perfect, even if they are saved. Whoever did that isn't very nice. :/

If we were perfect, then we wouldn't need Christ, would we?

Probably, but another thing that we disagree on Catholics about, the Pope just writes and detracts rules whenever he wants, doesn't he? It just makes us uncomfortable as Christians to listen to a man instead of to Jesus and God ourselves. That's a little too close to breaking the first and second commandments with all the saints and people. The saints are the saved people who make it to heaven.

You are revealing a lot of ignorance many Protestants have for Catholicism. One, the Pope just doesn't make and detract rules. Rules regarding the faith are carefully deliberated over, typically by great councils, not the Pontiff. In the rare instances where the Pope speaks from the doctrine of "Papal Infallibility", it is on matters of faith and morals and the assumption is that the call comes from the Holy Spirit - which Jesus promised Peter would remain with us as a guide.

As for the saints, we don't worship them or expect them to provide miracles for us. If you listen to the Litany of the Saints, we ask them to "pray for us", much as we would ask our friends, family, and fellow parishoners to do th same.

I don't know if you are familiar with the Narnia series, but it is one big analogy of the Christian story written by one of the great modern Christian writers, C.S. Lewis. He wrote from an Anglican perspective, but it is very similar to the Catholic line of thinking.

In the seventh book, Lewis has Aslan presenting a viewpoint that is very much a summation of what many Catholics and Anglicans feel about salvation. In the series, there are two competing "deities" - Aslan (representing the Holy Trinity) and Tash (representing other spirits believed by humanity). One character, from Calormen faithfully served Tash, but as he was doing good works in what he believed was in a faithful manner, Aslan accepted it as service to him. In a similar way, I believe that even you you say you are providing service to the spirits commonly believed in in Asia or other parts of the world, if you are doing it faithfully in a manner consistent with the love of God, then God and Jesus accept that service.

Ahh that's nice. :)

Not dumb - just bigoted.

Nah, believe me they were dumb. :p And yeah probably bigoted in more ways then one (hint - Check the Polls forum to see how dumb, hehe)

If we were perfect, then we wouldn't need Christ, would we?

No we wouldn't. I mean sometimes non-Christians believe that Christians really are perfect and call them hippocrits when they still sin or lie or whatever. I dunno, it's weird.

You are revealing a lot of ignorance many Protestants have for Catholicism. One, the Pope just doesn't make and detract rules. Rules regarding the faith are carefully deliberated over, typically by great councils, not the Pontiff. In the rare instances where the Pope speaks from the doctrine of "Papal Infallibility", it is on matters of faith and morals and the assumption is that the call comes from the Holy Spirit - which Jesus promised Peter would remain with us as a guide.

As for the saints, we don't worship them or expect them to provide miracles for us. If you listen to the Litany of the Saints, we ask them to "pray for us", much as we would ask our friends, family, and fellow parishoners to do th same.

Still, though, it's relying on humans to make rules. We just do it more simply, by just trying to live like Christ did and praying to him. We think the Holy Spirit is kind of like a stronger conscience you get when you're saved. When you're saved you really don't/shouldn't want to sin (of course you still do sin though)

And if you or I make it to heaven, we'd be saints like everyone else who makes it to heaven. You don't think that giving certain people a title of Saint is close to making them gods or almost gods and then praying to them? They aren't even angels.

I'm enjoying the conversation, thanks very much. :) When I was 13 my best friend was a Penacostal boy who wanted to be a preacher and we'd always have religious discussions in the school library.

These people are bigots and McCain is right to throw them under the bus. I hope most of the religious right isn't bigoted, but as a Catholic, many of the evangelical leaders has said things that to me as a Catholic are absolutely unacceptable and continues to fuel bigotry against Catholics in the South.

I agree completely. Within the protestant church there is much animosity and hatred directed towards the HRCC and Roman Catholics. Irrespective of the denial of such from some whom are protestants. It was my experience, having attended protestant churches for over 20 years, that RC's are considered unsaved idolators who worshipped Mary and the Saints and as such are controlled by Satan, i.e. Hagee's claim that the HRCC is the "Great Whore" spoken of in The Revelation of St. John.

McCain has made his bed with these hatemongering, intolerant, legalistic pastor's who condemn rather then offer Grace and since he has thrown them under the bus will suffer the consequences in the upcoming election from those who are their followers.

Last edited:
I think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson should endorse McCain. That would be the ultimate in race baiting. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom