• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

McCain Rejects Controversial Pastor's Endorsement

tryreading

Steve
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Unless its Joel Osteen, the Presidential candidates in this country should run, fast, in the opposite direction from any preachers who want to back them. Those big mouths only seem to bring embarrassment to those in the race:

LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- John McCain on Thursday rejected the endorsement of televangelist John Hagee after it was reported that the pastor once argued the Nazis operated on God's behalf to root out Jews in Europe and get them to Palestine.

McCain rejects controversial pastor's endorsement - MarketWatch

Unless its Joel Osteen, the Presidential candidates in this country should run, fast, in the opposite direction from any preachers who want to back them. Those big mouths only seem to bring embarrassment to those in the race:

LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- John McCain on Thursday rejected the endorsement of televangelist John Hagee after it was reported that the pastor once argued the Nazis operated on God's behalf to root out Jews in Europe and get them to Palestine.

But did he disown him enough?

:lol:

Poor guy. Just went from spritual advisor to disowned. :(

Poor guy. Just went from spritual advisor to disowned. :(

Funny, I was just reading about Rod Parsley, another preacher who backs McCain, and Parsley wants adulterers prosecuted. That's another preacher who should only be heard in church, and never sought for political backing.

Funny, I was just reading about Rod Parsley, another preacher who backs McCain, and Parsley wants adulterers prosecuted. That's another preacher who should only be heard in church, and never sought for political backing.

Dunno. Freaks like that are always funny.

Anyone here old enough to remember Oral Roberts and Jimmy Swaggart?

But he only wanted their endorsement recently. He didn't sit in church for 20 years. Yeah because the last 8 years haven't been enough proof that the religious right doesn't need you to be in their churches. You just need to be in their debt after every election. McCain proves to be no exception.

But he only wanted their endorsement recently. He didn't sit in church for 20 years. Yeah because the last 8 years haven't been enough proof that the religious right doesn't need you to be in their churches. You just need to be in their debt after every election. McCain proves to be no exception.

You need to see the humor in these things.

You need to see the humor in these things.

The Republican/Religious-Right love-fest is hilarious. They all swear it's not happening but yet you can't help but see the same patterns as in 2000 & 2004. McCain. The compassionate conservative who wants to help 'deserving home owners'(whatever that means) actively seeking the endorsement of people who actually want faith-based warfare. It's hilarious as far as hypocrisy goes.

But did he disown him enough?

:lol:

Yes. McCain is fortunate that this clown didn't mentor him, marry him or baptise his children. Imagine if a serious candidate had stuck arouond some wacko preacher like this for twenty years of so...

:screwy

Yes. McCain is fortunate that this clown didn't mentor him, marry him or baptise his children. Imagine if a serious candidate had stuck arouond some wacko preacher like this for twenty years of so...

:screwy

Since when are any of those things a requirement for being in the pockets of the religious right? ;) 12 years of Religious-Right excuse me, Republican rule prove that you don't need to be baptized, married or attend the churches of people like Haggard & Falwell to start 'faith based initiatives'.

Last edited:
The Republican/Religious-Right love-fest is hilarious. They all swear it's not happening but yet you can't help but see the same patterns as in 2000 & 2004. McCain. The compassionate conservative who wants to help 'deserving home owners'(whatever that means) actively seeking the endorsement of people who actually want faith-based warfare. It's hilarious as far as hypocrisy goes.

Sure.

And just what ARE "deserving home owners"?

Sure.

And just what ARE "deserving home owners"?

Angry White Men who support McCain and salute American flags made in China.

The reason i call myself an independent is because i cant get with the religious side of the right and i cant join in with the tiny tent of the left where they are just as dogmatic as religion.

Angry White Men who support McCain and salute American flags made in China.

...and who got tricked into adjustable rate mortgages by sneaky liberals.

McCain rejects this guy right away

BZZZZZZZZZZZT!

WRONG.

Hagee's been saying horrible crap for MONTHS, and NOW McCain rejects him?

Too little, too late.

Unlike Obama who said he could no way reject his racist preacher mentor who said no way could I reject the rev Wright then I can the black race McCain rejects this guy right away and he is not even his minister like Wright was for 20 years with Obama.......

Though I must say that I admire your desperate run-on sentence.

BZZZZZZZZZZZT!

WRONG.

Hagee's been saying horrible crap for MONTHS, and NOW McCain rejects him?

Too little, too late.

Had to post this again.

McCain rejects this guy right away

I've pointed out McCain's refusal to reject this guy several times over the last couple of months. Your 'right away' comment is a blatant lie.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls...-multiple-radical-pastors.html#post1057603679

http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls...truction-another-religion.html#post1057601621

http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-elections/29250-how-mccain-has-backstabbed-catholics.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...jects-anti-catholic-views.html#post1057551333

Want to try again?

Oh, the next few weeks are gonna be fun!

I think I understand what Hagee meant, although he really didn't say it well. It sounded like he meant that the Holocost was the way the Jews were supposed to get back to Israel. And I'm not saying that to be offensive, either. According to the Bible, the Israelites, Abraham's family, are meant to have Israel forever, but they weren't there. After WWII they were given Israel back, so it seems like maybe that was the only way they'd go back.

I'm not God, so I dunno what He thinks about it, and the preacher did say it kinda funny and freaked everyone out, and I could even be wrong, that's just what it sounds like, IMHO.

I think I understand what Hagee meant, although he really didn't say it well. It sounded like he meant that the Holocost was the way the Jews were supposed to get back to Israel. And I'm not saying that to be offensive, either. According to the Bible, the Israelites, Abraham's family, are meant to have Israel forever, but they weren't there. After WWII they were given Israel back, so it seems like maybe that was the only way they'd go back.

I'm not God, so I dunno what He thinks about it, and the preacher did say it kinda funny and freaked everyone out, and I could even be wrong, that's just what it sounds like, IMHO.

I love when people seem to find the most ridiculous biblical justifications for atrocities when it's politically convenient and then ignore the same type of justifications when it's used against them.

So God caused the holocaust to get the Jews back to Israel? Belle, you faithfully worship the Christian God. In your mind do you think that God would commit one of the worst Genocides in history just get a group back to Israel? Hagee has made a terrible mistake, you are going to have trouble defending him on this one.

As a Catholic, I applaud McCain for rejecting the endorsement of such bigoted "pastors" in the South. I met so many bigoted pastors and parishoners when I lived in the South that it did not exactly endear me to the Baptist denomination and other fundies that dominate the religious scene in much of the south.

I wish McCain had disowned the endorsement more quickly, but I suppose "better late than never."

However, I do resent the comparison with a certain Senator who attended the church of a bigoted pastor for 20 years, married him, and served as his religious mentor.

However, I do resent the comparison with a certain Senator who attended the church of a bigoted pastor for 20 years, married him, and served as his religious mentor.

The Religious Right and Republican Party have taught us that being married, baptized and/or 'mentored' by a pastor are not requirements for having the Religious Right try to push in their agenda through 'faith based initiatives'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom