• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

marriage proposals

You know, I'm SURE I proposed... but I have no memory of it now. Odd.

Must be getting old...

You know, I'm SURE I proposed... but I have no memory of it now. Odd.

Must be getting old...

who cares ?

older ones are preferable

I have gotten a few marriage proposals, as well as a fatherhood proposal.

But I am a confirmed batchelor

65 years old and never popped the question. Loved being a bachelor every minute.

Yuck. She's not vending machine for babies.
barron-trump-bunny-hop.jpg

Been proposed to a few times.

I said no.

I got one that wasn't really a traditional proposal...I think it was an after thought. I should've known then....

My wife and I were living in 'sin'. I just asked her one nite, as we watched TV, if she wanted to make it legal, she just smiled and said ok. That was 26 years ago.

(at parties I tell the story as she got me drunk and tape recorded the conversation so I couldn't back out later. she usually just rolls her eyes and sips her vinos, most folks who know us say I am damn lucky to have her)

Kind of the same for me. My husband and I had both had bad, bad marriages before, so we lived together for a few years before we got married. I would suggest that to anyone, because that way, you get to know someone, warts and all, before you get married. It's a lot cheaper to walk out of a relationship if you find out that it's not going to work, and you will know, after you live with them for a while, if it's not going to work.

He asked me one morning as he was dropping me off at work. I tease him about it now because he wishes he'd been more romantic, but hey, we've been together over 17 years, and are still very much in love, so I have no complaints.

So many older confirmed bachelors in this thread.

Kind of sad, really.

I'm not as much of a "confirmed bachelor" as I am picky. I'd gladly spend my life with someone if it was the right someone.

There were 2 for us actually - in a way.

The first time was the evening we first had met, and it wasn't a date. She got stuck in a cold windy rain storm on her motorcycle. I offered her to spend the night on my couch in my flat across the street. Well after midnight she told of herself and I told of myself. She was SO different from anyone I had ever known and talked of views and values I never imagined anyone would have or could exist. A perfect behavior history living to a long list of precise moral/religious rules and restrictions. She seemed equally amazed at my life of vices - exactly oppose her and her history. She told of never kissing anyone, never a cigarette, drugs or liquor, no swearing, family, goals, studies etc, etc - and I told of my life of no education, no family, getting drunk, getting stoned, fights and womanizing.

She looked all of age 15 (was actually 19) and I was 28. At no time did I see her as romantic potential (I'm not a pedophile).Rather that I was keeping a really cute little white girl safe for the night stuck in a bad part of black ghetto area I lived and worked in.

When she mentioned marriage and that she hoped to not have sex until marriage, though threw in maybe that wouldn't happen, since I was so exactly opposite of her I said, "well, you wouldn't marry someone like me then, would you?" She dropped her hands to her lap, dropped her head and closed her eyes for a few seconds. (I think she was praying.) Then looked up with big sparkling eyes and said: "YES. All that was before me."

I didn't realize it, but in that first few hours together, she took that as a marriage proposal and that she had accepted. From that moment - though she never said it, ever - her fixation in life was to make that happen. The next morning she asked me if I wanted to go to church with her, where she taught Sunday School for K-1 and sang in the choir. I had never been to a church, so went along. Soon, she was spending more and more nights on that couch - and was expelled from her church-college because of it - though there was nothing sexual about it. Given the choice of a bar-pickup for my bed or her just being there, I always preferred her being there. I think mutual infatuation and curiousity describes it.

PROPOSAL #2 - the real one.

She had been extremely injured and almost died of it. For 2 days, with her semi-conscious, unable to see (bandages) and mostly not conscious, in extreme pain, I whispered in her ear continuously - softly commanding her to "stay with me." To live. And for the first time told her I loved her. She clung onto my hand so very hard when I did. Other than rarely to my daughter (adopted), I had never told that to anyone before in my life - ever -nor ever thought I would. "Love" was neither a word nor even a concept in my childhood and a joke at the club. There, "love" just meant "sex." Nothing else. The number of times I was told anyone loved me as a child or youth was exactly never. A few times pickups from the club had told me she "loves" me, and my response was always "that's a mistake." Besides, those women were mostly just hoping for a rent-payer anyway.

When she was out of the hospital, countless surgeries still ahead of her and so many of her lifetime plans and goals shattered, I asked her what did she most want to accomplish in life and that I'd do anything I could for her to achieve it. She didn't hesitate for a second: "MARRY ME!" So I did. But I didn't really know what that meant other than I thought it some required pre-sex religious ritual of her religion and that we'd live together.

Last edited:
I proposed to my wife with a song I wrote at my company's first talent show.

Back
Top Bottom