• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Many hurt by axeman' on German train

The tired, the poor, the wretched refuse yearning to breathe free have always traveled and will ALWAYS travel from places of violence and death to find places where they can live in safety regardless of any laws preventing them from doing so

I agree. I also believe that Europe and the United States are beginning to resemble those wretched places that people have been fleeing from. Which shows a trend of spreading the misery, rather than ending it.

Good thing that didnt happen here in the good ol US where people can buy guns easier than they can check out library books...right?

Feb 2016 COLUMBUS, Ohio - Police have shot and killed a man who they say randomly attacked people at a central Ohio restaurant with a machete.
Police say the man stormed into a Mediterranean restaurant in Columbus on Thursday evening and started attacking people. Four patrons were taken to an area hospital with injuries.

Yep. Ohio. An open-carry state. See how the armed citizenry stopped him? Oh, wait - it was the police and not the armed citizenry? Ah. I see.

Yep. Ohio. An open-carry state. See how the armed citizenry stopped him? Oh, wait - it was the police and not the armed citizenry? Ah. I see.
But he WAS stopped by an armed policeman? So...obviously we need MORE law abiding citizens to feel comfortable carrying firearms. I completely agree!

So...did having an open-carry law stop the terrorist in Dallas? Or the one in Baton Rouge?

Nothing would have stopped either one. Banning guns would have only meant that they would have had to go to the black market for the weapons they needed or they would have made grocery store bombs. People who want to kill will find a way to do it.

Nothing would have stopped either one. Banning guns would have only meant that they would have had to go to the black market for the weapons they needed or they would have made grocery store bombs. People who want to kill will find a way to do it.

So because there would be a "black market" for guns, we should just make firearms of all types easily accessible for almost anyone?

That's like saying, "why have laws against bank robberies since bank robberies are going to happen anyway", or, "why have laws against domestic abuse since it's going to happen anyway".

Just because there would be a black market does NOT mean that we should make it easy for those who should NOT have firearms to be able to legally buy those firearms.

But he WAS stopped by an armed policeman? So...obviously we need MORE law abiding citizens to feel comfortable carrying firearms. I completely agree!

So if the majority of the citizenry have firearms with little or no regulation, that would result in a peaceful society? Got any stats to prove that? 'Cause there's LOTS of stats showing that populations with lots of firearms tend to be significantly more violent.

I agree. I also believe that Europe and the United States are beginning to resemble those wretched places that people have been fleeing from. Which shows a trend of spreading the misery, rather than ending it.

And you base that claim on...what, exactly? It's certainly not on the readily-available statistics, since America's homicide and violent-crime stats have fallen precipitously over the past twenty years. Sure, we see all kinds of violence on the news...but if we look at the actual NUMBERS, it's a lot lower than before.

Oh, shucks, NOW I get it! You've got to continually tell yourself that the whole world's going to hell in a handbasket so you can get with the Right's attitude that our society's under continual attack (never mind that relative to population, the world's more peaceful than ever before in recorded human history). You've got to maintain the fear and continually point to the terror...all the while never realizing that humankind as a whole has it better today, right freaking now, than ever before.

Too bad none of his victims had a pistol.

The right to protect yourself and the people you love is not a good idea I guess. I hope we don't let government make us helpless as well.

So if the majority of the citizenry have firearms with little or no regulation, that would result in a peaceful society? Got any stats to prove that? 'Cause there's LOTS of stats showing that populations with lots of firearms tend to be significantly more violent.
Just the raw data

Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar: report - Washington Times
Forbes Welcome
300 Multiple Choices

But you made the point. Machete wielding thug was stopped by a man with a gun.

Oh...BTW...the raw data also shows the top 25 m ost dangerous countries already practice gun control. And the most violent cities in this country are democrat cities with LOTS of gun control laws.

Last edited:

Well without a secure border and rewarding people who break our laws with a citizenship what do you expect.

And you base that claim on...what, exactly? It's certainly not on the readily-available statistics, since America's homicide and violent-crime stats have fallen precipitously over the past twenty years. Sure, we see all kinds of violence on the news...but if we look at the actual NUMBERS, it's a lot lower than before.

Oh, shucks, NOW I get it! You've got to continually tell yourself that the whole world's going to hell in a handbasket so you can get with the Right's attitude that our society's under continual attack (never mind that relative to population, the world's more peaceful than ever before in recorded human history). You've got to maintain the fear and continually point to the terror...all the while never realizing that humankind as a whole has it better today, right freaking now, than ever before.

Just because the world is supposedly overall safer, doesn't mean that there are not areas of high violence................and America is very violent in some areas.

The only fear that I see is from the anti gun folks crying about legal gun owners having guns.

Your side maintains the constant barrage on gun issues, while coddling the effing punks who continue to terrorize American streets. Then, you try make it look like the average gun owner is the problem

So...in Dallas and in Baton Rouge - both cities being in open-carry states - how'd that work out, with all the civilians who carried guns? They really defended themselves using firepower, huh?

Libs should move on to bigger and better things and abandon their gun control rhetoric

You're preaching to the choir, convincing no one and you're making yourselves look like callous partisan hacks by exploiting attacks on innocent Americans to sell a agenda no ones buying

This isn't Germany, France, England or Australia. Guns and gun culture have been a part of this Nation since its inception.

I guess the concept of free law abiding people having access to firearms is foreign to the rest of the world. Well who in the hell cares what someone living in some nanny state on the other side of the world thinks ?

We evolved, the rest of the world should either catch up or keep their opinions to themselves

Look, even good people can cause harm with guns - they can shoot their spouse or family member during an argument, or shoot someone in a road rage incident, or just shoot any bunch of people when they're having a bad moment in life. It's not just professional criminals who cause harm when armed.

Do you really believe such nonsense. I have thousands of family members and friends with guns and we all argue yet no one has ever shot someone. Not from road rage or a bad moment. It is called being responsible. You sound as if your circle of family and friends have a problem with responsibility and probably shouldn't be allowed to have guns. Good people do not kill. Good people with guns protect people from killers.

Bad people kill. Insane people kill. Mentally ill people kill.

To me, there is nothing special or sacred about a gun -- it's just a pushbutton killing appliance. A gun is no more sacred than a toaster, or a crowbar, or a powerdrill. It's just a damn machine -- why the hell would you worship a damn machine, or have some strange attachment fetish to it?

You sound like you have some issues. I don't know anyone who worships a gun? I do not know anyone that thinks guns are sacred? You know people having a fetish attachment to guns? Sounds like you know or hang with some pretty sick people. WOW.

The problem with this pushbutton killing appliance is that it makes it so easy to kill, that anyone can effortlessly do it in a moment of rage, or bad judgement.

Really. At 6'3" and 300lbs I don't need a gun to kill people.

So the real underlying issue here is about convenient pushbutton killing.

A gun levels the playing field. If you were on that train and the person with an axe was headed towards you I think you would be praying somebody had a gun and would stop them.

Just because the world is supposedly overall safer, doesn't mean that there are not areas of high violence................and America is very violent in some areas.

There have ALWAYS been "areas of high violence" - c'mon, you know this. Just because there are "areas of high violence" doesn't mean that the world as a whole isn't a safer, more peaceful place than ever before. Using the excuse of "areas of high violence" to deny it is like saying, "The whole ship's still screwed up because one or two shops aren't up to speed. In other words, you're concentrating only on the trees you can see in front of your face, but not allowing yourself to see the forest as a whole (i.e. "can't see the forest for the trees").

The only fear that I see is from the anti gun folks crying about legal gun owners having guns.

That's BS and you know it. I've posted many, many times on here that what we want is to keep those who SHOULDN'T have guns from getting them so easily. The overwhelming majority of us have zero problem with good, law-abiding citizens having firearms. Stop buying into the NRA's "the liberals are all gun-banners!" narrative - it's flatly false. YES, there are a few liberals who'd like to get rid of all guns...but they're no more representative of liberals as a whole than Stormfront is representative of the Right as a whole. Don't judge the whole by the actions or words of a few.

Your side maintains the constant barrage on gun issues, while coddling the effing punks who continue to terrorize American streets. Then, you try make it look like the average gun owner is the problem

Stop it, willya? I didn't even freaking mention guns at all in my post! Did you even read the silly-assed post I was replying to? it's from "truthatallcost": "I also believe that Europe and the United States are beginning to resemble those wretched places that people have been fleeing from. Which shows a trend of spreading the misery, rather than ending it."

He was trying to claim in so many words that the world's going to hell in a handbasket...and I replied that it's obviously NOT. All his claims are nothing more than fear-mongering...and if you yourself agree with his claims, then you're buying into his fear-mongering, too.

Well without a secure border and rewarding people who break our laws with a citizenship what do you expect.

A shift to the right due to the failed policies of the left. Voila, the National Front is gaining in France, Brexit for Britain, AfD is gaining support in Germany, and Donald J Trump is going to be our next president of the United States.

There have ALWAYS been "areas of high violence" - c'mon, you know this. Just because there are "areas of high violence" doesn't mean that the world as a whole isn't a safer, more peaceful place than ever before. Using the excuse of "areas of high violence" to deny it is like saying, "The whole ship's still screwed up because one or two shops aren't up to speed. In other words, you're concentrating only on the trees you can see in front of your face, but not allowing yourself to see the forest as a whole (i.e. "can't see the forest for the trees").

That's BS and you know it. I've posted many, many times on here that what we want is to keep those who SHOULDN'T have guns from getting them so easily. The overwhelming majority of us have zero problem with good, law-abiding citizens having firearms. Stop buying into the NRA's "the liberals are all gun-banners!" narrative - it's flatly false. YES, there are a few liberals who'd like to get rid of all guns...but they're no more representative of liberals as a whole than Stormfront is representative of the Right as a whole. Don't judge the whole by the actions or words of a few.

Stop it, willya? I didn't even freaking mention guns at all in my post! Did you even read the silly-assed post I was replying to? it's from "truthatallcost": "I also believe that Europe and the United States are beginning to resemble those wretched places that people have been fleeing from. Which shows a trend of spreading the misery, rather than ending it."

He was trying to claim in so many words that the world's going to hell in a handbasket...and I replied that it's obviously NOT. All his claims are nothing more than fear-mongering...and if you yourself agree with his claims, then you're buying into his fear-mongering, too.

I don't see 2nd amendment folks crying about what you guys go on with every single day. You guys want safety and beat down the very people who volunteer to provide it for you. A few questionable killings sends your side off on the same usual psycho babble every time.

A shift to the right due to the failed policies of the left. Voila, the National Front is gaining in France, Brexit for Britain, AfD is gaining support in Germany, and Donald J Trump is going to be our next president of the United States.

Wouldn't all of that be nice?

So...did having an open-carry law stop the terrorist in Dallas? Or the one in Baton Rouge?

It amuses me when ignorant liberals think carry permits are supposed to make people supermen.

That's not the purpose of concealed carry laws.

You can make all the accusations that you want, I know that you're wrong and that's what matters most to me.

But let me ask you this; you're an American, correct?

Do you think that the US needs to plan how to deal with future projected population growth? Consider:

World's 50 Most Populous Countries: 2015

1. China 1,367,485,388
2. India 1,251,695,584
3. United States 321,368,864

Given the fact that the US is already the 3rd most populated country in the world, would having a sense of foresight tell you that financial prosperity and peace are at risk by not trying to plan better so as to avoid overpopulation?

This terrorist wasn't able to acquire a gun - probably because he's a lone wolf attacker. At least gun control can cut down on the ability of lone wolf attackers to do wider damage. Gun control won't stop the dedicated ISIS/AlQaeda types, but it will stop the more low-level attackers, of which there seem to be an alarmingly increasing number.

Gun control didn't seem to stop him from killing 20 people.

You can make all the accusations that you want, I know that you're wrong and that's what matters most to me.

But let me ask you this; you're an American, correct?

Do you think that the US needs to plan how to deal with future projected population growth? Consider:

World's 50 Most Populous Countries: 2015

1. China 1,367,485,388
2. India 1,251,695,584
3. United States 321,368,864

Given the fact that the US is already the 3rd most populated country in the world, would having a sense of foresight tell you that financial prosperity and peace are at risk by not trying to plan better so as to avoid overpopulation?

Want the population boom to slow down and stop? Raise the living standards worldwide. Almost without exception, the highest birth rates are found among the poorest people.

Back
Top Bottom