• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man falsely connected to the shooting by Dallas police is now getting death threats

Re: Man falsely connected to the shooting by Dallas police is now getting death threa

If you dont understand the difference, I cant help you. I dont know anything about you, obviously, but I sincerely hope you are not raising any young men to adulthood. They may not make it.

That stings...lol

Re: Man falsely connected to the shooting by Dallas police is now getting death threa

This is one of the inherent dangers of one of the practices used in the "open carry" movement. They, like the BLM protesters, set themselves up for unsavory characters to use lawful and positive events for negative (and possibly dangerous) purposes.

Yes, recognition of the 2A and the lawful carrying of firearms is important but the way you accomplish that is through education and familiarization, not "in your face" acts of agitation.

Firearms are tools and like hammers and screwdrivers different weapon types have different uses. Handguns, for example, are lightweight, short range weapons. Such a weapon is practical for daily carry due to its weight and size. It is also adequate to serve a defensive purpose in most close quarters situations such as those most likely to be encountered in most localities across the country. A rifle is larger and heavier. It's much less convenient to carry around. While some carbines (rifles with a shortened barrel) are perfectly serviceable in close quarters they really are designed to be used at longer ranges. From a practical standpoint it's just a pain in the ass to sit down for a burger while finding a good place to stash your rifle. For that reason we generally don't see rifles in more urban areas unless the need for additional range outweighs the inconvenience factor of lugging the thing around.

When people see someone with a pistol on their hip that's a fairly common sight. Cops are seen this way all the time and people have a pretty decent understanding of what a pistol is and does. Seeing it on someone not in uniform might cause concern but it probably won't induce panic. Rifles, on the other hand, have taken on a whole mystique due to Hollywood and hyperventilating politicians. People see rifles as some kind of superweapon and they often have no concept of their actual capabilities or utility. For that reason open carry of a rifle often generates a heightened level of concern or outright panic in people. Furthermore, there is a lot of likely intentional misinformation regarding rifles out there. This is something I picked up from a "diary" on another site today:

I'd post a link to the diary but I believe that linking to another forum is prohibited. I will, however, give credit to "meteorblades"

Anyway, while the author of the diary uses a lot of "insider" jargon he's still wrong. Here's a video of what a 62gr .223 round being fired into ballistic gel at close range

You can see the cavitation he talks about but it's not close to bowling ball size. The projectile is also not designed to tumble. That would be stupid for a projectile that's designed to be effective out to 500 yards.

In light of what happened in all these recent shootings we are sure to see more "open carry" groups doing their thing and more "gun control" groups doing their thing. If we want to avoid another Dallas we need everyone to be smart about what they choose to do and how they do it. Being smart means both being informed and acting responsibly. We DO NOT need a massive open carry parade. We DO NOT need a social media barrage telling everyone how dangerous BLM protests are. We don't need presidents, senators and governors telling us how messed up we are as a country and how only they can save us from ourselves. What we need is people coming together to express their concerns in a RESPECTFUL manner and we need to LISTEN and UNDERSTAND both sides. We need to be considerate of the concerns each side has and strive to find ways to accommodate and/or assuage those concerns.

What happened in Dallas is, obviously, totally unacceptable and we can't rely on elected officials to fix the reasons it happened. That needs to come from us.

Colt developed the AR-15 for the U.S. Military. They wanted a rifle that fired a FMJ .22 bullet, so that we could wound the enemy soldiers. When you wound an enemy, that takes out other healthy enemy soldiers that are needed to care for the wounded.

For a rifle designed to wound, it sure has a high kill rate in our own domestic terrorism issues.

The 1st Amendment allows freedom assembly. It doesn't guarantee the location of that assembly. See how that works?
As I said, no amendment, including the 1st and 2nd, is absolute. But attempts to halt peaceful demonstrations near tall buildings (ie inner cities) are not reasonable because police departments can and do provide security for politicians and others who visit urban areas. Your suggestion is nothing more than a veiled attempt to quell free speech in large cities. See how that works?

It isn't Conservatives that are trying to restrict gun rights. Don't even try pinning the nanny state on the Conservatives...lol.

Ain't liberals either, mostly. Liberals, for the most part, aren't against gun rights. And I didn't say 'nanny state, I said Daddy state. The term's only been used here, in this forum. It's how I describe the conservative government ideal- a big, strong paternalism that demands obedience.

That stings...lol

Yeah, it was a bit harsh. But when one commits to (what I consider to be) a totally wrong-headed argument, it shouldnt be a surprise when someone tries to jolt you awake with a virtual whack upside the head.

Colt developed the AR-15 for the U.S. Military. They wanted a rifle that fired a FMJ .22 bullet, so that we could wound the enemy soldiers. When you wound an enemy, that takes out other healthy enemy soldiers that are needed to care for the wounded.

For a rifle designed to wound, it sure has a high kill rate in our own domestic terrorism issues.

No. Just plain no.

First off, Armalite designed the M16 which is why it has the AR designation. Colt did get a contract to supply the military but they didn't develop it.

Second, the idea that the military would select a cartridge because it was more prone to wound than kill is ludicrous. The reason for the 5.56 round is that you can carry more of them than the old .30-06 for the Garand or the .308 for the M14.

Ain't liberals either, mostly. Liberals, for the most part, aren't against gun rights. And I didn't say 'nanny state, I said Daddy state. The term's only been used here, in this forum. It's how I describe the conservative government ideal- a big, strong paternalism that demands obedience.

That's the most ridiculous liberal falsehood I've ever heard.

As I said, no amendment, including the 1st and 2nd, is absolute. But attempts to halt peaceful demonstrations near tall buildings (ie inner cities) are not reasonable because police departments can and do provide security for politicians and others who visit urban areas. Your suggestion is nothing more than a veiled attempt to quell free speech in large cities. See how that works?

Just pull back the police protection, then.

It's so lethal because of the lay down and die mentality that exists.

Here's an aspect that goes both ways. She could show how, and you could show now not. Are you up for it?

They're not different because in both cases the people involved are exercising a legal right peacefully. Trying to create a difference by the numbers is a fallacy. There is no difference between 1 person peacefully exercising their right to free speech, religion, etc. and 100 million doing so.

That's the most ridiculous liberal falsehood I've ever heard.

That's it? That's all you've got?
Just stick around, laddybuck, you're liable to hear lots of stuff that you don't like but can't refute. Who knows, might be an eye-opener for you.

No. Just plain no.

First off, Armalite designed the M16 which is why it has the AR designation. Colt did get a contract to supply the military but they didn't develop it.

Second, the idea that the military would select a cartridge because it was more prone to wound than kill is ludicrous. The reason for the 5.56 round is that you can carry more of them than the old .30-06 for the Garand or the .308 for the M14.

Then please explain to me why the Army wanted a squirrel rifle on steroids.

It's so lethal because of the lay down and die mentality that exists.

That's interesting. I've never heard that stated before. don't worry Boss, I'll keep my nose to the ground.

The 1st Amendment allows freedom assembly. It doesn't guarantee the location of that assembly. See how that works?

2nd amendment allows the right to bear arms. It doesn't guarantee the nature of those arms, or access to ammunition. See how that works?

2nd amendment allows the right to bear arms. It doesn't guarantee the nature of those arms, or access to ammunition. See how that works?

Of course it guarantees the nature and the access to ammunition. Making ammunition unaccesable would be and, "undue burden". Have you ever heard of, "undue burden"?

The reasonable restrictions on gun ownership are the laws that make it illegal to go about shooting into persons, or property. A gun owner is prohibited by law to just shoot anything anywhere. See? There's your reasonable gun restrictions.

That's interesting. I've never heard that stated before. don't worry Boss, I'll keep my nose to the ground.

Mateen inflicted 100 casualties in Orlando, in three hours. There's no way that someone didn't have a chance to jump his was during time. I mean, hell, he took time out to check his Facebook page!

That's it? That's all you've got?
Just stick around, laddybuck, you're liable to hear lots of stuff that you don't like but can't refute. Who knows, might be an eye-opener for you.

Can't refute? LOL!

Do you, un, support Obama care? And, if not, why?

Back
Top Bottom