• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Making a Murderer

Winchester

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Anyone else watch this? Surreal.

Published on Dec 18, 2015
He served 18 years for a crime he didn't commit. Now he's on the line again, and some want to see him put away for good. The 10-episode documentary series MAKING A MURDERER follows the strange and harrowing story of Steven Avery, an outsider, convicted and later exonerated of a brutal assault. His release triggered major criminal justice reform legislation, and he filed a lawsuit that threatened to expose corruption in local law enforcement and award him millions of dollars. But in the midst of his very public civil case, he suddenly finds himself the prime suspect in a grisly new crime.

Trailer

Netflix put entire first episode on youtube:

I read a review and will watch it but from what i understand they don;t have a smoking gun re the second convictio mostly conjecture. That said police and prosecutors can and do frame people all the time. Unless you are rich then they don't dare...

I read a review and will watch it but from what i understand they don;t have a smoking gun re the second convictio mostly conjecture. That said police and prosecutors can and do frame people all the time. Unless you are rich then they don't dare...

It's an interesting contrast to The Jinx. IMO drives home the criminal justice system between the poor and the rich. That and the twists and turns are so bizarre. It's pretty scary what happens when the justice system is convinced it has the right man.

Hmmm, I watched Rectify (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb for a few episodes a month ago and it kinda reminds me of this show. I'll check it out.

Except that this a documentary. Some of the stuff is so unbelievable it boggles the mind. One of the lawyers had a quote to the effect if one gets caught up in the criminal justice system (wrongly) the best one can hope for is to retain one's liberty as you'll never get anything else back.

It's a pretty sickening show.

I don't know what to believe. The documentary is biased and leaves out some key points about Avery's behavior towards the girl murdered. I do believe evidence was planted to portray Avery as the murderer, regardless of his innocence or guilt. Especially the car keys. Avery was about to sue the town for $36 mil and probably would have succeeded in at least settling for a few million, there was a lot of incentive to railroad him and get him back behind bars.

Avery is not an upstanding, moral citizen. He is a little weird. But the injustice done during his court case is inexcusable and should happen to no one.

And Brendan, that kid got ****ed, hard. He is obviously innocent.

Anyone else watch this? Surreal.

Thanks for the info.

The man got screwed the first time around yet the system worked.

The murder conviction is likely to stand as there appears to be a lot of things this so-called documentary failed to reveal.

Is Steven Avery Guilty? Evidence 'Making a Murderer' Didn't Present

(The following is an excerpt from a phone conversation he had with his mother it is linked to at the above url.)

Mom: What all happened, what are you talking about?
Brendan: About what Me & Steven did that day,
Mom: What about it?
Brendan: Well, Mike & Mark & Matt came up one day and took another interview with me and said because they think I was lying but so, they said if I come out with it that I would have to go to jail for 90 years.
Mom: What?
Brendan: Ya. But if came out with it would probably get I dunno about like 20 or less. After the interview they told me if I wanted to say something to her family and said that I was sorry for what I did.
Mom: Then Steven did do it.
Brendan: Ya
Mom: (Mom Crying) Why didn’t you tell me about this?
Brendan. Ya, but they came out with something that was untrue with me
Mom:. What’s that?
Brendan: They said that I sold crack

Ya! Steven did it alright.

Except that this a documentary. Some of the stuff is so unbelievable it boggles the mind. One of the lawyers had a quote to the effect if one gets caught up in the criminal justice system (wrongly) the best one can hope for is to retain one's liberty as you'll never get anything else back.

The Avery "clan", for the lack of a better word, strikes me as being from the very shallow end of the gene pool. I can imagine that all sorts of taboo (incestuous?) behavior was going on inside their compound. Steve seemed to fall (jump?) into "love" with any female, outside of his family, that would even talk to him and he would immediately start to make lifetime plans including marrying them if they actually socialized with him. I have no doubt that the legal process was far from perfect but these were some seriously odd folks and offered little assistance in their own defense. I do not recall that the RAV4 keys having ZERO other DNA on them was ever brought up in Steve's trial but that alone would have been unlikely to sway that jury.

Thanks for the info.

The man got screwed the first time around yet the system worked.

The murder conviction is likely to stand as there appears to be a lot of things this so-called documentary failed to reveal.

Is Steven Avery Guilty? Evidence 'Making a Murderer' Didn't Present

(The following is an excerpt from a phone conversation he had with his mother it is linked to at the above url.)

Mom: What all happened, what are you talking about?
Brendan: About what Me & Steven did that day,
Mom: What about it?
Brendan: Well, Mike & Mark & Matt came up one day and took another interview with me and said because they think I was lying but so, they said if I come out with it that I would have to go to jail for 90 years.
Mom: What?
Brendan: Ya. But if came out with it would probably get I dunno about like 20 or less. After the interview they told me if I wanted to say something to her family and said that I was sorry for what I did.
Mom: Then Steven did do it.
Brendan: Ya
Mom: (Mom Crying) Why didn’t you tell me about this?
Brendan. Ya, but they came out with something that was untrue with me
Mom:. What’s that?
Brendan: They said that I sold crack

Ya! Steven did it alright.

The part in bold was in the documentary.

A lot of other stuff wasn't, such as him harassing the victim and the claim he abused his kid nephew/accomplice.

I think it's a question of whether you think the ends justify the means.

I believed he was guilty even before reading what the doc left out, though probably not beyond a reasonable doubt. But how the cases were handled was infuriating.

Back
Top Bottom