• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mainstream media biased?

Do YOU believe the Mainstream Media is and has been fair, objective and unbiased in their reporting on current political and social issues?
I think most media is biased in the way that will get them the most viewers. They are public corporations and that is their fiduciary duty. Privately owned media may exhibit the biases of the owner.

Do YOU believe the Mainstream Media is and has been fair, objective and unbiased in their reporting on current political and social issues?

The media is without doubt biased, and this is not news folks, Noam Chomsky pretty much proved this in his 1988 book Manufacturing Consent.

The media are businesses, corporations that want to earn profit, therefore they tend to operate in ways that lead to increases in that profit, benefits for investors and stock holders.

That's how it was in 1988 when Chomsky analyzed the question, that's how it was in the 17th century when the first ever newspapers appeared and that's how it is today.

I think most media is biased in the way that will get them the most viewers. They are public corporations and that is their fiduciary duty. Privately owned media may exhibit the biases of the owner.
I don’t think it’s about getting the most viewers...it’s about driving a particular narrative . Viewers, at least in the U.K. ,are giving up on these propagandists in their droves.

The media is without doubt biased, and this is not news Noam Chomsky pretty much proved this in his 1988 book Manufacturing Consent.

The media are businesses, corporations that want to earn profit, therefore they tend to operate in ways that lead to increases in that profit, benefits for investors and stock holders.

That's how it was in 1988 when Chomsky analyzed the question, that's how it was in the 17th century when the first ever newspapers appeared and that's how it is today.
I agree to a point but much of that profit comes from sponsors rather than viewers and often these sponsors want to drive a narrative first and foremost...profit per se is secondary imo.

I don’t think it’s about getting the most viewers...it’s about driving a particular narrative . Viewers, at least in the U.K. ,are giving up on these propagandists in their droves.
That is the dumbest thing ever. Get the most viewers you make the most money. Its about money

"Mainstream media" is newspeak and a pejorative.

Perhaps market forces don't work well in the U.K.. They are supremely strong in the U.S.

That is the dumbest thing ever. Get the most viewers you make the most money. Its about money
Not so , in the U.K. we have a thing called the BBC. Also many news outlets continue on a downward trajectory because their views do not have mass public support..but they push them anyway.

I agree to a point but much of that profit comes from sponsors rather than viewers and often these sponsors want to drive a narrative first and foremost...profit per se is secondary imo.

Much of the profit comes from advertisers, as Chomsky said "newspapers sell audiences to advertisers", that's it, that's what they do.

Perhaps market forces don't work well in the U.K.. They are supremely strong in the U.S.
How are news channels and newspapers doing out there? They are in massive decline over here.

Not so , in the U.K. we have a thing called the BBC. Also many news outlets continue on a downward trajectory because their views do not have mass public support..but they push them anyway.

BBC news though is abysmal, very averse to controversy, anything truly controversial is sidestepped, sanitized.

Much of the profit comes from advertisers, as Chomsky said "newspapers sell audiences to advertisers", that's it, that's what they do.
I also think media outlets are becoming the plaything of billionaires ...with their liberal world view propagated through them.

BBC news though is abysmal, very averse to controversy, anything truly controversial is sidestepped, sanitized.
Very biased toward the liberal world view too...even though most U.K. citizens are fairly conservative in outlook...the BBC has a problem though , many people are ceasing to pay the license fee.

Yes, bias towards the right.

They do this by trying to call everything as neutral, regardless of the truth. For example, they paint deficit discussions as the right viewpoint versus the left viewpoint without pointing out the fact that the right has increased the deficit whenever they're in power. If the media was fair, objective and unbiased, their viewpoints should be called out immediately for the failed political ideas they've been for decades if they bring them up. Their social viewpoints should be called out as antiquated, puritanical, nonsensical and ignorant as they've always been. Their stances on the environment should be immediately called as destructive, costly and suicidal as they've always been.

It's not fair, objective and unbiased when you create a false equivalence for the sake of having manufactured conflicts the media thinks people will be interested in seeing.

Advertisers pay per viewer. In 2020 political campaigns will spend 11 billion dollars. Mot going to media companies.

Very biased toward the liberal world view too...even though most U.K. citizens are fairly conservative in outlook...the BBC has a problem though , many people are ceasing to pay the license fee.

The BBC is pretty much biased toward the establishment, the Government, when Blair was Prime Minister for example his undoubted participation in war crimes was never described as such, avoiding controversy is almost a matter of policy.

Yes, bias towards the right.

They do this by trying to call everything as neutral, regardless of the truth. For example, they paint deficit discussions as the right viewpoint versus the left viewpoint without pointing out the fact that the right has increased the deficit whenever they're in power. If the media was fair, objective and unbiased, their viewpoints should be called out immediately for the failed political ideas they've been for decades if they bring them up. Their social viewpoints should be called out as antiquated, puritanical, nonsensical and ignorant as they've always been. Their stances on the environment should be immediately called as destructive, costly and suicidal as they've always been.

It's not fair, objective and unbiased when you create a false equivalence for the sake of having manufactured conflicts the media thinks people will be interested in seeing.
I agree. Media corporations are big business. Big business is naturally conservative. They don't make money supporting the general welfare of the country.

I agree. Media corporations are big business. Big business is naturally conservative. They don't make money supporting the general welfare of the country.
Incorrect , there is a clear tie up between big business and the liberal establishment...see it as a kind of soft fascism.

Incorrect , there is a clear tie up between big business and the liberal establishment...see it as a kind of soft fascism.
I don't see that at all. "soft fascism" is that newspeak for philanthropy?

I distinguish big business from people who have made fortunes from big business. Big business has a fiduciary responsibility to maximise returns to investors. Individuals often use their fortunes to support humanitarian/liberal causes.

In America they are for profit. They seek profit. They are not charities. Duh

What part of " That NYT opinion piece shows conclusively that their rag is totally biased against Trump. It's a regurgitation of all the spin, speculation, hyperbole, innuendo and lies they...and the rest of the MSM...have blown out their assholes since BEFORE Trump became President. " do you not understand?
Do you seriously expect the cult to abandon their propaganda outlets?

That’s how it feels from over here...the BBC despises Trump...it’s one of the reasons I like him because I despise the BBC.
Not surprised. Media, at least in English, is dominantly globalist. Not just USA and UK, but also Canada and down under. Trump is the antithesis of globalism. It's one of the reasons Trump hatred is a cult.

It cannot be about money. Too many sources are leaving money on the floor to attack Trump.

I'll give you the newspeak, but not the pejorative.

I don't see that at all. "soft fascism" is that newspeak for philanthropy?
Don't be dense. It means promoting fascism without using violence, aka propaganda.

Last edited:
I am on a personal crusade to challenge words and phrases that were invented to label political opponents and ideas that they oppose. That is the worst kind of propaganda because thought can be controlled by changing language. Our political discussion is now rife with this "newspeek". (Maybe I am also guilty? I know the name of a class is an attribute but can it also be a member?) Anyway talk radio has been a huge inventor oh these propaganda tools.

Do you seriously expect the cult to abandon their propaganda outlets?

Not surprised. Media, at least in English, is dominantly globalist. Not just USA and UK, but also Canada and down under. Trump is the antithesis of globalism. It's one of the reasons Trump hatred is a cult.

It cannot be about money. Too many sources are leaving money on the floor to attack Trump.

I'll give you the newspeak, but not the pejorative.

Don't be dense. It means promoting fascism without using violence, aka propaganda.
Who leaves money on the floor to attack trump?

No one

Then CNN and MSNBC must be as dumb as hell, their viewer numbers have been getting wrecked. Its not just about money.

Back
Top Bottom