• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mainstream media biased?

Rba1776

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Do YOU believe the Mainstream Media is and has been fair, objective and unbiased in their reporting on current political and social issues?

I believe it has a small bias, but nothing nearly as strong as Fox and right-wing media. Opinion shows in the evening are more biased, but again are based on more facts than opinion shows on Fox.

MSM is more professional with better checks and fact verification.

I know it has a lot of negative press about Trump which make it SEEM biased, but if they were covering say Hitler, I think they'd also have a lot of negative coverage and yet noone would accuse them of being biased then (well, some on this board would actually). Note: no, I am not saying Trump = Hitler - just making a point that a lot of negative coverage does not imply bias.

Do YOU believe the Mainstream Media is and has been fair, objective and unbiased in their reporting on current political and social issues?
Nope.

Now, to be fair, they usually have mostly factual reporting, but the focus of that reporting, and the way it is presented, tend to be biased IMO.

The problem Trump has with the MSM is that they call him out when he says something that is not true. Fox is much more forgiving and jokers like Hannity actually amplify his lies and conspiracy theories.

To answer you question directly, the MSM has become biased against Trump over time. What else would you expect when someone continually attacks you for doing you job?

I believe it has a small bias, but nothing nearly as strong as Fox and right-wing media. Opinion shows in the evening are more biased, but again are based on more facts than opinion shows on Fox.
Lol what???

The MSM is not red or blue.....it's green. And people who complain about it hate capitalism

lol Veritas
There are a slew of sources indicating the Zucker forces his staff to cover anti-Trump stories wall to wall. And has kniption fits when they don't.

This is well documented. And pretty much common knowledge at this point.

There are a slew of sources indicating the Zucker forces his staff to cover anti-Trump stories wall to wall. And has kniption fits when they don't.

"slew of sources" and yet the one you go with is Veritas? geez

Trump is wall-to-wall because he is the biggest news story, just the way HE likes it and makes it... He is only competing with COVID for that.

Ok....
1st...Based on your answer to the original question...
2nd....Understanding that IF...IF!!!!.... even partially true, the alleged evidence supporting claims of the Bidens recieving cash for who knows what, would be crimes by a politician, a Vice President non the less, on a level unmatched in modern times to its corruption and possibly dire national security consequences .....
3rd.....Assuming that you give a damn about the idea that as an American, we are all equal under the law, our government must be of the people and FOR the people, and our media IS the peoples CHECK that BALANCES the government by exposing those doing wrong while in service..PROTECTING US FROM IT...
SO
Why are there NOT..... SERIOUS, IMMEDIATE, IN DEPTH, PUBLIC and OBJECTIVE investigations into the matter by the media protected by the 1st Amendment as to protect US???????

With allegations on this level, and I really hope you seriously appreciate just how big of a deal this is, for there to be a litteral blackout on the issue by the mainstream press is unimaginable. Other than puff pieces mostly dismissing the situation as trash, there is nearly nothing serious being said... Twitter and Facebook, who have become the modern day equivalent to the daily paper and the phone company, have as well placed a litteral BAN on the matter. Removing anything even remotely approaching a level of competence. Even banning members themselves for posting information.
IS THIS AMERICA? Forget who you want to vote for. How much you support this side or that. IS THIS AMERICA? An America YOU want? For YOUR children?

Conniption fits I think.

I beg to differ;

Roger Stone has played a key role in undermining the Russian attribution of the 2016 election year operation. But the SSCI and Mueller Reports barely mention how closely Stone's efforts mirror those of WikiLeaks.

20 Comments
/
October 17, 2020
/
emptywheel
"This post showed that the SSCI Report ignored a lot of evidence (laid out in the affidavits) that Jerome Corsi and Roger Stone had specific details -- possibly even the John Podesta emails themselves -- pertaining to Joule Holdings, which they tried to use to claim he was as corrupt as (!!!) Paul Manafort. This post showed how, rather than actually explaining what the investigation learned about whether, how, and why Stone optimized the release of the Podesta files, the Mueller Report instead gave us a comedy routine starring Jerome Corsi.

Both public reports, then, presented the question, what did the candidate’s rat-****er know and when did he know it, exclusively in terms of what Stone knew about the Podesta release. Indeed, the SSCI Report treats this as a question exclusively about what Stone knew of WikiLeaks’ plans.…"

....and a helluva lot fairer than you've been to Mrs. Vindman....

Grow up, lady.

Your husband lied and conspired to take down the freaking President. Hell, what YOU'VE gone through doesn't even compare to what Stone's wife went through when jack-booted thugs invaded her home in the middle of the night and rousted her out in her nightgown.

Screw you.

A textbook example of, "malaise and loss of civic virtue".

"..Oh my
Life has passed me by
The country I was brought up in
Fell apart and died..."

I'm sure I'll forget to do it, sometimes, but I'm going to try to set an example by including the above quote box at the bottom of every future post because it epitomizes the "rot" (i.e., the moral decay) on this forum and in this (thug) country.

Last edited:
Back in 2017, after Trump's first 100 days, Harvard released a study on media coverage of the President. It was ugly.

Figure-6-NEW-web.png

Back in 2017, after Trump's first 100 days, Harvard released a study on media coverage of the President. It was ugly.

....speaking of ugly....

The Inaugural Address
Issued on: January 20, 2017

".....But for too many of our citizens, a different reality exists: Mothers and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities; rusted-out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation; an education system, flush with cash, but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of knowledge; and the crime and gangs and drugs that have stolen too many lives and robbed our country of so much unrealized potential.

This American carnage stops right here and stops right now...."

Trump's most insulting — and violent — language is often ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...iolent-language-is-often-reserved-immigrants/
Oct 2, 2019Trump's comments regularly dispute the narrative that his words should not be taken literally. ... "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best," he ... They're rapists ...

Executive Order 13769 - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13769
Executive Order 13769, titled Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States, politically labeled as a Muslim ban by detractors or a travel ban by supporters, was an executive order by United States President Donald Trump.Except for the extent to which it was blocked by various courts, it was in effect from January 27, 2017, until March 6, 2017, when it was ...

Trump's 'travel ban' really was a Muslim ban. You can see ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...eally-was-muslim-ban-thats-what-data-suggest/
Sep 26, 2019Trump's travel ban really was a Muslim ban, data suggests. What the Trump administration's data can and can't tell us about the true effect of the travel ban. Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn ...

They openly admit they are, there's no point in debating it.

I beg to differ;

Roger Stone has played a key role in undermining the Russian attribution of the 2016 election year operation. But the SSCI and Mueller Reports barely mention how closely Stone's efforts mirror those of WikiLeaks.

20 Comments
/
October 17, 2020
/
emptywheel
"This post showed that the SSCI Report ignored a lot of evidence (laid out in the affidavits) that Jerome Corsi and Roger Stone had specific details -- possibly even the John Podesta emails themselves -- pertaining to Joule Holdings, which they tried to use to claim he was as corrupt as (!!!) Paul Manafort. This post showed how, rather than actually explaining what the investigation learned about whether, how, and why Stone optimized the release of the Podesta files, the Mueller Report instead gave us a comedy routine starring Jerome Corsi.

Both public reports, then, presented the question, what did the candidate’s rat-****er know and when did he know it, exclusively in terms of what Stone knew about the Podesta release. Indeed, the SSCI Report treats this as a question exclusively about what Stone knew of WikiLeaks’ plans.…"

....and a helluva lot fairer than you've been to Mrs. Vindman....
1. That NYT opinion piece shows conclusively that their rag is totally biased against Trump. It's a regurgitation of all the spin, speculation, hyperbole, innuendo and lies they...and the rest of the MSM...have blown out their assholes since BEFORE Trump became President.
2. What the **** is "emptywheel.net"? Are you trying to say they are NOT biased? Hell, are you trying to say that a site I've never heard of is MSM? Do you even know what this thread is all about?
3. I don't give a rat's ass about Mrs. Vindman. She is irrelevant to ANY political issue. Her husband, on the other hand, should be ashamed to call himself an American and is a disgrace to the US Army. I suggest she work on her husband...try to turn him into a decent, honorable human being instead of whining, crying and following her husband's example on how to be a despicable, biased person.

....speaking of ugly....

The Inaugural Address
Issued on: January 20, 2017

".....But for too many of our citizens, a different reality exists: Mothers and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities; rusted-out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation; an education system, flush with cash, but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of knowledge; and the crime and gangs and drugs that have stolen too many lives and robbed our country of so much unrealized potential. This American carnage stops right here and stops right now...."

Trump's most insulting — and violent — language is often ...https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/10/02/trumps-most-insulting-violent-language-is-often-reserved-immigrants/
Oct 2, 2019Trump's comments regularly dispute the narrative that his words should not be taken literally. ... "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best," he ... They're rapists ...

Executive Order 13769, titled Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States, politically labeled as a Muslim ban by detractors or a travel ban by supporters, was an executive order by United States President Donald Trump. Except for the extent to which it was blocked by various courts, it was in effect from January 27, 2017, until March 6, 2017, when it was ...

Trump's 'travel ban' really was a Muslim ban. You can see ...https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/26/trumps-muslim-ban-really-was-muslim-ban-thats-what-data-suggest/
Sep 26, 2019Trump's travel ban really was a Muslim ban, data suggests. What the Trump administration's data can and can't tell us about the true effect of the travel ban. Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn ...
Thanks. It's nice to have some examples of unfair, slanted, misleading and sometimes entirely fabricated coverage. I particularly liked EO13769, which was challenged but approved.

1. That NYT opinion piece shows conclusively that their rag is totally biased against Trump. It's a regurgitation of all the spin, speculation, hyperbole, innuendo and lies they...and the rest of the MSM...have blown out their assholes since BEFORE Trump became President.
2. What the **** is "emptywheel.net"? Are you trying to say they are NOT biased? Hell, are you trying to say that a site I've never heard of is MSM? Do you even know what this thread is all about?
3. I don't give a rat's ass about Mrs. Vindman. She is irrelevant to ANY political issue. Her husband, on the other hand, should be ashamed to call himself an American and is a disgrace to the US Army. I suggest she work on her husband...try to turn him into a decent, honorable human being instead of whining, crying and following her husband's example on how to be a despicable, biased person.

emptywheel ? Who should I read, and quote, instead? Fox News, Trump, Daily Caller, Sara Carter, John Solomon, LOL ?

"In the sometimes murky world of national security reporters, few people are wrong less often than Marcy Wheeler.
....are unique because they rely on public information, rather than access (journalism), and because Wheeler takes great pains to show her work."

In your post I quoted, you made Roger Stone's wife to be a victim of arresting officers you described as "jackbooted thugs".

Judge Walton, earlier this year, read the most unredacted version of the Mueller Report in the course of an FOIA litigation and has grilled the DOJ about justification for remaining redactions.....

Deadline = Noon, Today!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/trump-tweet-declassify-russia-documents/2020/10/16/8846f3c8-0fc8-11eb-8a35-237ef1eb2ef7_story.html
October 16, 2020
"...Judge Reggie B. Walton..Court in D.C. expressed bafflement at the claim..Trump’s words were not to be believed.

... Walton directed the department by noon Tuesday to clarify with Trump or “an individual who has conferred directly with the president” whether Trump had intended to order the declassification and release of Mueller report materials without redaction. The judge cited the urgency of releasing as much information as possible in the remaining days before the election. "

Justice Department must release redacted portions of Mueller report dealing with criminal charges before Election Day, judge rules

Business Insider|19 days ago
...US District Judge Reggie Walton ruled that Attorney General William Barr's department must release the redacted segments ...

Mueller's team contemplated whether Trump had lied to them ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...3a9c16-b283-11ea-856d-5054296735e5_story.html
Jun 19, 2020 Stone was convicted of lying to the House...his efforts to contact WikiLeaks. Stone told those lies, prosecutors said, to protect Trump.

Judge cites Barr's 'misleading ... - The Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...a7afce-5f2c-11ea-b29b-9db42f7803a7_story.html
Mar 5, 2020...
Now is when we pay the price for Trump ... - Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/09/coronavirus-burns-trump-scores-perfect-nero/
Mar 9, 2020 Reggie Walton, senior judge.., can't be dismissed by President Trump as an "Obama judge": Walton was nominated by George W. Bush...

Last edited:

-snip-

Please share why you believe so strongly that this is biased, or even unreasonable.:

The Times is the most prominent newspaper in President Trump's hometown and took the unprecedented step of posting the longest editorial in its history, consisting of an entire section of ten pages.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/16/opinion/donald-trump-worst-president.html
4 days ago Kathleen Kingsbury, acting editorial page editor, wrote about the editorial board's verdict on Donald Trump's presidency .. You can read it here .

The recent background includes :

"Maryanne Trump Barry.. is..a retired United States federal judge....

In January 2006, she testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee in support of the nomination of her colleague Samuel Alito to the United States Supreme Court. ...
Allegations of tax evasion
In October 2018, The New York Times published an investigative report asserting that Barry, along with her father and siblings, had engaged in fraudulent and illegal activity for the purpose of limiting estate tax and gift tax liability stemming from Fred Trump's real estate enterprises. Investigative journalist Susanne Craig discovered a filing Barry had made to the Senate as part of her federal judiciary confirmation in 1983, in which she had reported a $1 million contribution from All County Building Supply & Maintenance. The Times reported that All County Building Supply & Maintenance was a "sham company" formed in 1992 and owned by Barry, Donald Trump, their siblings, and a cousin.

All County Building Supply & Maintenance reportedly paid for work performed at Fred Trump's apartment buildings; those apartment buildings then reimbursed the company, but fraudulently added extra money to those reimbursements. Tax experts reportedly indicated that because All County "performed no real work, the transfer of money through the corporation was essentially a gift that evaded the 55 percent tax in place at the time".Its address was the Manhasset, New York, residence of John Walter, Fred Trump's nephew. In a follow-up article, The New York Times reported that the money illicitly earned by All County was split by the Trump siblings.

In October 2018, as a result of the publication of this investigation, the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance began a review of the fraud allegations against Barry and her siblings.

On February 1, 2019, four legal professionals, who had filed complaints against Judge Barry in October 2018... Ten days later, Barry, a senior inactive judge at the time, announced her retirement from the bench, effectively ending the investigation.]"

Eric Trump ordered to testify before election in probe of ...
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/23/trump-subpoena-court-arguments-on-new-york-investigation-.html
Sep 23, 2020 President Trump is fighting a last-ditch legal effort to block a grand jury subpoena issued as part of Vance's probe,

"Trump brings tax return case to Supreme Court again after losses in lower courts
Tue, Oct 13 2020
... by Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance Jr.’s office...

Please share why you believe so strongly that this is biased, or even unreasonable.:

What part of " That NYT opinion piece shows conclusively that their rag is totally biased against Trump. It's a regurgitation of all the spin, speculation, hyperbole, innuendo and lies they...and the rest of the MSM...have blown out their assholes since BEFORE Trump became President. " do you not understand?

What part of " That NYT opinion piece shows conclusively that their rag is totally biased against Trump. It's a regurgitation of all the spin, speculation, hyperbole, innuendo and lies they...and the rest of the MSM...have blown out their assholes since BEFORE Trump became President. " do you not understand?

You complained about me frequently linking to emptywheel's website. I do it for the same reason I read and link to the NY Times and Washington Post reporting. Over time, I find all three to be mostly reliable, emptywheel more than the other two.

You, on the other hand, are quite often disappointed by the sources of information you attempt to rely on...

If the Times reporting is empty bias, consider that the facts it published certainly chased Trump's sister into retirement, in short order.

Its as if you resent journalists doing their jobs, investigating and publishing the secrets of the powerful and speaking truth to them.

This is an indication you are experiencing an irresistible attraction to Trump. He wields that effect on some people, is well aware of it, and uses that awareness to his advantage, not to yours.

Donald Trump just revealed *a lot* more than he meant to ...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/politics/trump-tax-returns-nbc-town-hall-savannah-guthrie/index.html
4 days agoPresident Donald Trump is the only modern American president to never release any of his tax returns -- either while running for office or during his time in office. He's offered a series of ...

Charting an Empire: A Timeline of Trump's Finances - The ...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/27/us/donald-trump-taxes-timeline.html
Sep 27, 2020Tax records provide a detailed history of President Trump's business career, revealing huge losses, looming financial threats and a large, contested refund from the I.R.S.

50449809107_cc2234eb4e_h.jpg

Last edited:
Of course it’s highly biased toward the left of centre liberal world view ...same here in the U.K.. The MSM is part of the political establishment...and the establishment is social democratic in Europe at least...the USA seems to be on the same slide to self destruction too.

Figure-6-NEW-web.png
That’s how it feels from over here...the BBC despises Trump...it’s one of the reasons I like him because I despise the BBC.

Back
Top Bottom