• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Looting is reparations'

Blacks were once considered property...so maybe the vandalism and looting of property is in a way, reparations.

Black slave labor built this country and they got nothing in return for it. So what if they bust a few windows and take crap they don't even want...property can be replaced...but black lives can't.

No one else did anything? Who was doing the building before that?

Wow.....I can't believe someone thinks looting is 'so what'. You think those small business owners deserve that? You know how much replacing plate glass windows cost? And no....insurance doesn't necessarily cover that. Just like flood insurance is 'extra' in areas prone to it.

No one else did anything? Who was doing the building before that?

Wow.....I can't believe someone thinks looting is 'so what'. You think those small business owners deserve that? You know how much replacing plate glass windows cost? And no....insurance doesn't necessarily cover that. Just like flood insurance is 'extra' in areas prone to it.

Who was doing the building before that?

Edit post

Were you ever denied the right to own property? If not, then how can you say it's not justified?

oooh! Pick me! Because...get ready for this...Those that do the looting were never denied the right to own property.

What point? Blacks have no legitimate complaints against whites at all.

Especially after the reverse discrimination Affirmative action

And all the money whites tax payers have spent on anti poverty programs designed to help blacks.

A HUGE chunk since Blacks are twice as likely to be on the GOV dole than whites?

Amen?

Yes. The average Negro IQ is 85. The military will not take anyone below that. In our economy one needs a fairly high IQ to earn a decent income.

Are you trying to get another thread closed because of your racist crap?

The reasons behind the looting of property and the lynching of property are like night and day.

You mean like the mistreated Chinese and Irish in the 1800's?

Blacks were once considered property...so maybe the vandalism and looting of property is in a way, reparations.

Black slave labor built this country and they got nothing in return for it. So what if they bust a few windows and take crap they don't even want...property can be replaced...but black lives can't.

No black person reading this was ever a slave. No white person reading this had anything to do with slavery. Following your logic...we need to give native Americans control of the nation and you all can give them everything you own. Do you agree or does your ideology suddenly not agree with you?

What they got is the fact that their descendants in this country are more affluent than black in any black run country in the world.

No doubt President Biden will appoint to important positions some people who share Ms. Atkins's attitude.

And yet some people say that the United States of America has a bright future.

Amazing!

Joe may talk all liberal and nod in approval but trust me, he's for gov and police in control. No politician wants to really cede any power.

I think no such thing, Moot. Lynching is not justifiable. Looting is not justifiable. Taking the law into your own hands to satisfy your sense of grievance is never justifiable.

You said if property damage was justifiable then so is lynching. No doubt you'd be a lot more upset if it was blacks doing the lynching instead of whites.

First, if it is your argument that MLK fought and died for nothing and accomplished nothing, I have no evidence of that. While disparities exist, they are nothing compared to what they were half a century ago. And no matter the perception, no one gets to engage in lawlessness and get away with it.
My argument was in response to your claim that todays blacks weren't slaves...well, neither was MLK. But Blacks have been living under a systemic oppressive system since reconstruction and it has effected blacks through generations. To say otherwise is pure head in the sand ignorance and a convenient way of silencing blacks and denying them their rights and their history.

That is true. But that does not justify destroying other people's property who had nothing to do with that process.

But the police did have something to do with that process and the anger has largely been directed at them and the system. IE: burned out police cars, police stations and court houses.

I didn't say you had to agree with the vandalism and rioting....I just said you (whites) should at least try to understand why it happens. If you don't...then why would expect anything less than rioting, looting and vandalism when that is the only thing that gets your attention?

MLK didn't condone violence...but he understood it.

"...So these conditions, existence of widespread poverty, slums, and of tragic conniptions in schools and other areas of life, all of these things have brought about a great deal of despair, and a great deal of desperation. A great deal of disappointment and even bitterness in the Negro communities. And today all of our cities confront huge problems. All of our cities are potentially powder kegs as a result of the continued existence of these conditions. Many in moments of anger, many in moments of deep bitterness engage in riots.

Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. I'm still convinced that nonviolence is the most potent weapon available to oppressed people in their struggle for freedom and justice. I feel that violence will only create more social problems than they will solve. That in a real sense it is impracticable for the Negro to even think of mounting a violent revolution in the United States. So I will continue to condemn riots, and continue to say to my brothers and sisters that this is not the way. And continue to affirm that there is another way.

But at the same time, it is as necessary for me to be as vigorous in condemning the conditions which cause persons to feel that they must engage in riotous activities as it is for me to condemn riots. I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention...."

Veterans of the Civil Rights Movement -- The Other America

Yes. The average Negro IQ is 85. The military will not take anyone below that. In our economy one needs a fairly high IQ to earn a decent income.

You do know that's considered 'white supremacy?' And Asians have a higher IQ than 'whites'. There are even differences in IQ scores between countries. The 'higher educated' a country is, the 'smarter' the country is.

IQ tests are arbitrary social constructs that don't accurately measure a person's overall intellectual capacity or potential. They also don't take into account educational opportunities, poverty, motivation, trauma, bad environment, stable home, etc. If black people hadn't been oppressed thru cultural bias and systemic racism, they might very well have financial dominance.

You mean like the mistreated Chinese and Irish in the 1800's?

MLK had an answer for that....

"...A man was on the plane with me some weeks ago and he came up to me and said, "The problem, Dr. King, that I see with what you all are doing is that every time I see you and other Negroes, you're protesting and you aren't doing anything for yourselves." And he went on to tell me that he was very poor at one time, and he was able to make by doing something for himself. "Why don't you teach your people," he said, "to lift themselves by their own bootstraps?" And then he went on to say other groups faced disadvantages, the Irish, the Italian, and he went down the line.

And I said to him that it does not help the Negro, it only deepens his frustration, upon feeling insensitive people to say to him that other ethnic groups who migrated or were immigrants to this country less than a hundred years or so ago, have gotten beyond him and he came here some 344 years ago. And I went on to remind him that the Negro came to this country involuntarily in chains, while others came voluntarily. I went on to remind him that no other racial group has been a slave on American soil. I went on to remind him that the other problem we have faced over the years is that this society placed a stigma on the color of the Negro, on the color of his skin because he was black. Doors were closed to him that were not closed to other groups.

And I finally said to him that it's a nice thing to say to people that you oughta lift yourself by your own bootstraps, but it is a cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he oughta lift himself by his own bootstraps. And the fact is that millions of Negroes, as a result of centuries of denial and neglect, have been left bootless. They find themselves impoverished aliens in this affluent society. And there is a great deal that the society can and must do if the Negro is to gain the economic security that he needs..."

You do know that's considered 'white supremacy?' And Asians have a higher IQ than 'whites'.
"Considered 'white supremacy?'" ???
What? Using Negro, which is short for Negroid, or simply stating what is currently known?

Only to an idiot, as it is, would it be considered such.

Pointing out factual information is not supremacy in and of itself.
Just as pointing out that Asians score higher (like you did) is not Asian supremacy in and of itself. Or do you consider yourself an Asian supremacist.

IQ tests are arbitrary social constructs that don't accurately measure a person's overall intellectual capacity or potential.
iLOL
The lame "social construct" dismissal. :doh Social constructs exist to categorize and explain the observable. They aren't simply arbitrary, and that which is observable doesn't simply disappear if you get rid of the terminology we used to define that which is observed.

But yes, it is still a social construct that does indeed indicate those things (on an individual level) to a great extent.

They also don't take into account educational opportunities, poverty, motivation, trauma, bad environment, stable home, etc. If black people hadn't been oppressed thru cultural bias and systemic racism, they might very well have financial dominance.
While it remains to be seen if this is a valid explanation as to the "why's", this is a separate thing from that which currently is.

"...A man was on the plane with me some weeks ago and he came up to me and said, "The problem, Dr. King, that I see with what you all are doing is that every time I see you and other Negroes, you're protesting and you aren't doing anything for yourselves." And he went on to tell me that he was very poor at one time, and he was able to make by doing something for himself. "Why don't you teach your people," he said, "to lift themselves by their own bootstraps?" And then he went on to say other groups faced disadvantages, the Irish, the Italian, and he went down the line.

And I said to him that it does not help the Negro, it only deepens his frustration, upon feeling insensitive people to say to him that other ethnic groups who migrated or were immigrants to this country less than a hundred years or so ago, have gotten beyond him and he came here some 344 years ago. And I went on to remind him that the Negro came to this country involuntarily in chains, while others came voluntarily. I went on to remind him that no other racial group has been a slave on American soil. I went on to remind him that the other problem we have faced over the years is that this society placed a stigma on the color of the Negro, on the color of his skin because he was black. Doors were closed to him that were not closed to other groups.

And I finally said to him that it's a nice thing to say to people that you oughta lift yourself by your own bootstraps, but it is a cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he oughta lift himself by his own bootstraps. And the fact is that millions of Negroes, as a result of centuries of denial and neglect, have been left bootless. They find themselves impoverished aliens in this affluent society. And there is a great deal that the society can and must do if the Negro is to gain the economic security that he needs..."

And I say it is just BS

Black-American Representatives and Senators by Congress, 1870–Present |

US House of Representatives: History, Art & Archives

If you keep people poor enough, long enough, they're going to revolt, though there are better ways to present their case than violence and stealing.

Chicago goes into lockdown as bridges raised and freeway exits closed to restrict access to downtown | Daily Mail Online

Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer, called the looting 'reparations'.

'I don't care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy's or a Nike store, because that makes sure that person eats,' Atkins said. 'That makes sure that person has clothes.

'Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.'

Ariel Atkins is a Chicago activist and is not a spokesperson for the national BLM movement.

If you want to play this game, then Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia is a spokesperson for the entire GOP.

What about all of the white looters? Are they stealing things and then giving them to their black friends with a "sorry about the slavery" Hallmark card?

No one alive today is or was a slave. No one alive today is or was a slave owner. The rioting and looting is unbridled lunacy and not logical like you're trying to make it out to be. But let's go with your opinion that it's reparations.... when does it end? Does it end? How much does each black person get to steal? How is that number determined? Is there or should there be a database of known slaves, their current descendants and how much each person should receive as compensation for things their ancestors went through? How do we keep track of how much each person has taken to make sure they get their limit? What if they want more? Can they have more if they want more? What if some descendants of slaves don't want to loot? Do we have a personal shopper go pick some things out for them at Cartier or Nordstrom?

What about Native American descendants? Mormon descendants? Do they get something too for the way their ancestors were treated?

Last edited:
What about all of the white looters? Are they stealing things and then giving them to their black friends with a "sorry about the slavery" Hallmark card?

No one alive today is or was a slave. No one alive today is or was a slave owner. The rioting and looting is unbridled lunacy and not logical like you're trying to make it out to be. But let's go with your opinion that it's reparations.... when does it end? Does it end? How much does each black person get to steal? How is that number determined? Is there or should there be a database of known slaves, their current descendants and how much each person should receive as compensation for things their ancestors went through? How do we keep track of how much each person has taken to make sure they get their limit? What if they want more? Can they have more if they want more? What if some descendants of slaves don't want to loot? Do we have a personal shopper go pick some things out for them at Cartier or Nordstrom?

What about Native American descendants? Mormon descendants? Do they get something too for the way their ancestors were treated?

See post #43

Back
Top Bottom