• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

libya war.....

this war is retarded. first of all if we are wanting a better economy thenn yes first step first we need to cut prices. So oil is an issue, but there is this weird place called alaska which has enough oil for america to last 100 years. then if we say we are fighting this for the sake of the 2 british ships that were attacked then we are bigger idiots than ever. i love britain it is my favorite country but if britain is attacked then britain should be the one defending itself and fighting a war not the usa. what are your thoughts?:confused:

I have given it a lot of thought because I had mixed feelings as to whether we belong there or not and this is my conclusion. We do, why? There are many countries now experiencing political unrest, When the people in those countries see that we have taken an active interest in promoting "peaceful change" then they are more inclined to seek out a change in their government. If a ruler of a foreign country sees nato involved they will be less inclined to use violence against the people.

If some thing good came out of our involvement in Iraq the uprising that we are seeing now would be it

I still fail to see how our involvement in Iraq has ANYTHING to do with the so-called "Arab Spring."

I never thought we belonged in Iraq but where violence begets violence maybe freedom begets freedom, good things can come from bad things, We have seen political unrest in Iran, Egypt, Yemen, Syria and Libya maybe it’s all coincidental but then again maybe it’s a domino effect started by the removal of Sadam

EarlzP;bt692 said:
I never thought we belonged in Iraq but where violence begets violence maybe freedom begets freedom, good things can come from bad things, We have seen political unrest in Iran, Egypt, Yemen, Syria and Libya maybe it’s all coincidental but then again maybe it’s a domino effect started by the removal of Sadam

Eh I don't really buy that argument. I fail to see how a protester or democratic agitator is spurred to demonstrate in the streets because of what is going on in Iraq, and why it took them seven years to do something about it. In my mind it all spontaneously began in Libya. There's a domino effect at work, but I believe Iraq had little to do with it.

It does not really matter where or in what order it started, the point is their is a lot of political unrest that could lead to changes in the governing bodies of these countries, I did not like Bush but if repressed people found the motivation to stand up because of Bushes attack on Iraq then maybe the world will end up being a safer place, some times you can roll in a bucket of s--t and come out smelling like a rose

ok well i personally think the iraq war against terrorism was pointless. first of all if we were trying to help iraq and afghanistan get better goverments we shouldnt of. with the US being in all these places we step on toes. Just like in vietnam we might of had good intentions but still the viatnemese didnt want us there. the US just needs to stop butting in and let other countries deal with themselves. now the counter arguement i always hear is they attacked us ( 9/11 ) first. But, i am a conspiracy theorist and if you think i am insane and totally wrong feel free to tell me, i personally believe that 9/11 was set up by the US goverment and blamed on al kida (if i spelled it right) as a way to try and seize that area and to start building something which will be known as the new world order.

I don't think we were in Iraq to fight terrorism, it's hard to put a finger on why we were in Iraq President Bush changed his reasoning every few days, We went into Afghanistan to capture or kill Ben Laden, I think Ben Laden master minded the attack on the twin towers to draw us into Afghanistan, he had just defeated the Russians by fighting them long enough to cause their economy to collapse and we were next on his list.

I was in Viet Nam in 64/65 and I still have no idea of why we where there, young people were lost on all sides, the N Vietanese at least could say they were fighting for their countries freedom. We had been sent over to fight with weapons that jammed, they dropped leaflets telling the Vietanese that we were coming allowing the N Vietanese to leave or set up to fight us when and where they wanted to, they the higher ups the ones running the show fought the war using tactics that made it seem like they wanted to lose.

I think the way that President Obama is handling the problems in the middle east is exactly like he should

i got to disagree with you there. like i said before we step on a lot of toes. why haven't we done a vote with the congress to see whether or not we should of went with the NATO plan. at least with a vote i could not we would know the majority was behind this so-called war. but there was no vote so i do not know and now that im against it i dont know if the majority was for it.

If you listen to the news there are those who say we waited too long and those who say we acted to quick and there are those that say congressional leaders where not informed in order to sort through it all and have an opinion based on the facts available you have to research a little

In Official Notification Two Days Later, President Obama Alerts Congress the US Joined a War - Political Punch

The White House has pushed back against claims that Congress was insufficiently consulted, noting that the president met with congressional leaders the day before the attack and the administration has provided testimony and background briefings on the latest from Libya.

Whether we like it or not there may be reasons that are not obvious to us that go beyond what we hear so we can only judge what we have access to. It would be nice if we knew what was really motivating our interest but we don't, imagine what would happen if we just said we want your oil. We choose where and who we support by the effect that it will have on us, Why Libya and not Yemen there are reasons.

President Obama is doing what we could have anticipated he is working within Nato, even if he had wanted to jump right in our economy is weak, our military is stretched thin. Realistically he had to support our allies

but how can we fix our economy if we are sending over 112 tomohawk missiles. arent they like the most expensive ones there are?

The Tomahawk cruise missiles used during this operation will probably be replaced that creates jobs here in the USA but what is really important is when other countries see the support that Libya is receiveing from the international community it gives them hope. If we ever hope to have peace in the world we have to be willing to support Nato

ok. i agree with the jobs thing, but we killed innocent civilians in the bombing. Right? so isnt that considered an act of terrorism. Which would make the other countries a little wavy about nato wanting peace.

This is the new world, I am not exactly crazy about it but like it or not we are part of an international community. That community will make decisions that will effect every country in the world. No country not even the USA can survive alone

We need Salaam.

i think you are mistaken there. i dont like the Us and i believe they need to be alone. we all do. we need to learn to be self sufficient

Back
Top Bottom