• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Libs of TikTok targeted a district, then a non-binary student was killed on campus

No, they exist with equal rights.

Exactly. Equal rights. Not ENHANCED rights where they get to use the girls john and can force people to call them "they" or "she" when its actually a male. See, those arent really "rights".

Thank you for admitting to misgendering nonbinary people.

OK. Don't mention it. An individual is NOT a "they", unless of course they are schizophrenic.

You've never used "they" to refer to one person? Ever?

In the sense of saying "they are coming over" when referencing an individual.

Not in the sense where its used to imply that an individual is actually a "they" and not a "him" or a "her".

Not in the sense where its used to imply that an individual is actually a "they" and not a "him" or a "her".

So "they" can be singular, but only in the context that you dictate.

Sorry, but you don't write the dictionary. :)

See definition 3.

Exactly. Equal rights. Not ENHANCED rights where they get to use the girls john and can force people to call them "they" or "she" when its actually a male. See, those arent really "rights".

Please tell me about these enhanced rights that trans and nonbinary people have. Thank you for admitting that you support misgendering people (which is harassment) and putting them at risk of physical harm because of an innate characteristic of who they are.

Trans people have existed since the 1950s and the problems you claim have never occurred, so why are they are serious issue now? Could it be that the MAGAs and GOP needed to create a new boogeyman and woman to deflect the attention of bigoted social conservatives once LGBTQ marriage was a nonissue after the Obergefell decision.
OK. Don't mention it. An individual is NOT a "they", unless of course they are schizophrenic.
And yet mental health professionals and Drs are united in the stance you are wrong. Where did you get your graduate degree in medical health?

Please tell me about these enhanced rights that trans and nonbinary people have. Thank you for admitting that you support misgendering people (which is harassment) and putting them at risk of physical harm because of an innate characteristic of who they are.

Trans people have existed since the 1950s and the problems you claim have never occurred, so why are they are serious issue now? Could it be that the MAGAs and GOP needed to create a new boogeyman and woman to deflect the attention of bigoted social conservatives once LGBTQ marriage was a nonissue after the Obergefell decision.

And yet mental health professionals and Drs are united in the stance you are wrong. Where did you get your graduate degree in medical health?
eyerollgif.gif

You are a century late to this linguistic discussion of pronouns.

Baron’s interest in pronouns began when he was researching language reform in the early 1980s. He came across a number of coined pronouns from the 19th and early 20th centuries, and he published an article about them in a linguistics journal. More recently, he started looking at digitized 19th-century newspapers online. His list now contains more than 200 coined pronouns.

The earliest example he found, from 1841, is “e,” with “em” for the object and “es” for the possessive. Others include “zie” or “hir,” the latter of which was used by The Sacramento Bee newspaper for 25 years, Baron said.

“It was a curiosity. Somebody coined pronouns because they felt a word was missing from English,” he said. “A few of the words made it into dictionaries. None of them ever achieved widespread use.

“One word that seems to be filling the gap is the singular ‘they,’” he said.

Some people object to using “they” as a singular pronoun, but Baron points out that “you” at one time was strictly a plural pronoun. It wasn’t accepted as singular until the 17th century.

Authors including Shakespeare often have used the singular “they.”

“Writers, if they want to conceal somebody’s gender or if gender is irrelevant, need to have a word, and the only word we have is ‘they,’” Baron said. “There are examples where writers use the singular ‘they’ to create suspense or to create comedy. There’s a place in ‘The Pickwick Papers’ where Dickens uses it to conceal gender for a page or so. Agatha Christie puts it in Hercule Poirot’s mouth: ‘I’m using the generic male, but the killer could be a woman.’ You see it all over the place as a literary device.”

The pronoun debate, particularly in the 19th century, involved legal as well as literary implications, Baron said. The courts and government debated whether the use of the generic “he” in law excluded women.

“Suffragists argued from the 1870s to the early 1900s that if ‘he’ is treated as generic in criminal law, then the voter ‘he’ should include women as well,” Baron said.

The courts at the time disagreed, although they continued to uphold “he” as including women when it came to obligations such as paying taxes or incurring civil or criminal penalties.

The topic of preferred pronouns continues to trigger controversy. When the University of Tennessee, Knoxville posted a guide to gender-neutral pronouns on its website, it enraged conservative politicians in the state, Baron said. But more language authorities, such as dictionaries and style guides, now are accepting the singular “they,” including The Associated Press and The Washington Post, he said.

“It’s OK to have variable pronoun usage. We don’t have to have a single paradigm,” Baron said. “At some point, gender nonconformity will be not so big a deal. People are becoming increasingly accepting of it, and possibly the pronoun issue will fade into the background because people won’t feel the need to politicize the pronoun.”

Please tell me about these enhanced rights that trans and nonbinary people have.
He did.
People can refer to me however they wish there is no rules that someone's not allowed to refer to me as she.

If this is what trans rights is I'm absolutely against it.
Thank you for admitting that you support misgendering people (which is harassment) and putting them at risk of physical harm because of an innate characteristic of who they are.
there's no such thing as misgendering people that's made up by assholes and authoritarians that think they have any authority to boss anyone else around.

It wouldn't be harassment because if I referred to you is she to somebody and you weren't there you weren't being harassed because you're not there.

There's no way this can never be a right my freedom of speech trumps your right to control my speech.
Trans people have existed since the 1950s and the problems you claim have never occurred, so why are they are serious issue now?
because people like you make up concepts like misgendering and pretend you have any authority over how other people speak.

There is no misgendering and it's not harassment people have the right to misgender you and you have no light to bring any consequences to them that's the First amendment.
Could it be that the MAGAs and GOP needed to create a new boogeyman and woman to deflect the attention of bigoted social conservatives once LGBTQ marriage was a nonissue after the Obergefell decision.
I don't think that it's bad guy or the GOP or any other Boogeyman it's making you all worried and concerned about misgendering that's so-called trans people not being able to force their delusion on others.

If you get all butthurt because somebody said something you don't like see a therapist nobody should give half a **** about misgendering. People that whine and cry about it should be lauged at and ridiculed
well it's too bad for them and their medical degrees that they don't get to brainwash all of society I think they'd have a little more credibility if they didn't spend the past 3 years lying to us.

I'm never not a million years going to accept a trans man is a man because they're not you can't change your sex. I don't care about gender identity it's unimportant.

If Nex's attackers are put on trial--and they should, barring guilty pleas--they will come up with some bullshit about how Rex's nonbinaryism had nothing to do with their decision to attack Rex. They will play the crybully card.

Presumably Nex's friends will know why these girls were bullying them. Maybe it was to do with their gender, maybe it wasn't.

Referring to someone who is NB by their sex is misgendering them.

#111.

No it's not because sex isn't gender.

A person's sex doesn't vanish when they identify as NB.

Those "boys" are trans females. The supposed girls are trans guys. Are you denying that gender idneity exits, or is this an admission that you don't understand it? You are trying to deny that transgender people exist as equals and the 2016 G.G. vs. Gloucester School Board decision that said that trans kids have the right to use the bathroom of their gender identity.

If trans girls are forced to use the male bathroom then who protects them from assault, or don't their lives and safety matter? Do you want transguys in the girls bathroom?

What bathroom do you think that transgender and NB people have been using without incident since the 1950s, or did transgender people only exist with the need to pee until 2016?

BTW. Nex was nonbinary but born biologically female, so they were in the right bathroom and still they was assaulted with a severe head injury. They were denied medical care by the school.

They were not denied medical care. They were assessed by the school nurse and it was decided that an ambulance wasn't needed, but the parents were advised to go a medical facility.

Lisa, I am totally on your side in this "discussion," except on this point. I can understand a nonbinary wanting a new pronoun, but "they/them" are already taken.
They/them can be used in the singular and this is the case for the last 400 years.

Psssssst: no single human being is a "they", and should never be referred to as a "they" in the plural sense.

Lets just stop it. RIGHT NOW. Please and thank you.
You're wrong. They has been used in the singular, properly, for over 400 years. Even Shakespeare did it. We do it all the time as part of our natural speaking in English. "They left their drink on the table."

They/them can be used in the singular and this is the case for the last 400 years.
I respectfully disagree. It leads to blatant ambiguity. Communication is diminished. I accept the desire for a new pronoun, just not this one. I propose "xe"... or something. Not "they."

I respectfully disagree. It leads to blatant ambiguity. Communication is diminished. I accept the desire for a new pronoun, just not this one. I propose "xe"... or something. Not "they."
I can only think of one instance where they or them can be used to describe a single person.

If I was talking to a friend about a doctor visit for example.

Me: "I went to the doctor today and had my annual checkup. I asked about the lump on my neck."

Friend:"oh yeah? What did they say"

No you could use he or she in the instance but you run the risk of being corrected. It's when the sex isn't known.

I think that's what people are trying to do when they say that when you're talking about them in the third person and they're not around you need to refer to them as they, they're trying to pretend you can't determine what sex they are.

It isn't diminished. It isn't really different than how we use any pronouns. There is no difference between using they rather than either he or she if you already know the intended person. If you don't, then you still have the same issue whether he or she or they is used.

It isn't diminished. It isn't really different than how we use any pronouns. There is no difference between using they rather than either he or she if you already know the intended person. If you don't, then you still have the same issue whether he or she or they is used.
Yes it is when you refer to a person as a group of people it changes the sentence structure or it's grammatically incorrect.

For example. This is my friend Tom he is a banker,

This is my friend Tom they is a banker. In order for this sentence to sound right you would need the plural for is which is are which when you're speaking about one person is confusing.

You would also have to pluralize the noun and drop the a for the sentence to be correct.

This is my friend Tom they are bankers.

Everything about this is wrong so this isn't going to catch on this isn't how English works.

I don't answer loaded questions. If you knew what good faith was you wouldn't even post a loaded question.

So how often do you beat your wife?
My question is not loaded. It is simply inconvenient for you to answer truthfully.
I'll ask it again:
WHY did you make up that lie that Nex was killed because they were a male who was using the female's restrooms?

The answer to your question is simple. I do not have a wife. I do have a male partner, whom I have never beaten.
The fact that you think your question was "loaded" and could not be answered only demonstrates you do not understand things like this. You don't even know what a "loaded question" is, but rather you just know it is an excuse for avoiding questions so you repeat the phrase you don't even understand.

My question is not loaded. It is simply inconvenient for you to answer truthfully.
I'll ask it again:
WHY did you make up that lie that Nex was killed because they were a male who was using the female's restrooms?
your question is loaded.

You either not understanding what a loaded question is or lying about it is of no importance.

Don't ask loaded questions. Be honest.

your question is loaded.
You either not understanding what a loaded question is or lying about it is of no importance.
Don't ask loaded questions. Be honest.
One of your recurring tactics is to make declarations that you refuse to elaborate on. Here, you are claiming my question is loaded, but you refuse to explain why.
Furthermore, you have already demonstrated you do not understand what a loaded question is in the first place by asking your question which was also not loaded.

I have asked you in the past to look up terms that you use but clearly do not understand, but you refuse while clinging to the tactic of refusing to elaborate on your claim.
Let's define the term for you...

A loaded question is a form of complex question that contains a controversial assumption (e.g., a presumption of guilt).[1]
You have already admitted you made up your claim which you had no knowledge on and was clearly false. It was also proven false.

The question is not loaded. You refuse to answer it because you don't want to acknowledge your prejudice towards transgenders.
I'll ask it again:

Yes it is when you refer to a person as a group of people it changes the sentence structure or it's grammatically incorrect.
For example. This is my friend Tom he is a banker,
This is my friend Tom they is a banker. In order for this sentence to sound right you would need the plural for is which is are which when you're speaking about one person is confusing.
You would also have to pluralize the noun and drop the a for the sentence to be correct.
This is my friend Tom they are bankers.
Everything about this is wrong so this isn't going to catch on this isn't how English works.
You don't know how English works.
They can be used as a plural pronoun.
It also has a history of being used as a singular pronoun.
This use of "they" has been around for a long time. It shows up in Shakespeare, Dickens and George Bernard Shaw. Jane Austen was always saying things like "everybody has their failing." But the Victorian grammarians made it a matter of schoolroom dogma that one could only say "Everybody has his failing," with the understanding that "he" stood in for both sexes. As their slogan had it, "the masculine embraces the feminine."​

One of your recurring tactics is to make declarations that you refuse to elaborate on.
if you want me to elaborate ask me to elaborate but don't ask a question where the only way I can answer it is to confess to lying.

That's loaded question
Here, you are claiming my question is loaded, but you refuse to explain why.
you never asked me to until just now and I just did so. I didn't refuse to explain why you never asked.

Your question is loaded because no matter what way I answer it I have to confess to lying.

I didn't lie.

I can't answer your question.

if you want me to elaborate ask me to elaborate but don't ask a question where the only way I can answer it is to confess to lying.
I already asked you to explain.

Your question is loaded because no matter what way I answer it I have to confess to lying.
I didn't lie.
But you did lie.
That has already been documented.
lie:
  1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth.
I'll ask it again:

Yes I do.
You're attempting to gaslight and you are being dishonest you so your lectures are garbage.
I just proved that your claim was false. Yet again, you cowardly cut and pasted around me proving your claim was false.
Pointing out you are wrong is not "gaslighting". Proving you are wrong is not "dishonest".

They can be used as a plural pronoun.
It also has a history of being used as a singular pronoun.
This use of "they" has been around for a long time. It shows up in Shakespeare, Dickens and George Bernard Shaw. Jane Austen was always saying things like "everybody has their failing." But the Victorian grammarians made it a matter of schoolroom dogma that one could only say "Everybody has his failing," with the understanding that "he" stood in for both sexes. As their slogan had it, "the masculine embraces the feminine."​
[/QUOTE]

BIB. A motive for this killing has not been shared by law enforcement. We don't know the reason behind this fight, maybe it was because they were LGBQ, maybe it isn't. We also don't know who started it. I'd be shocked if a school suspended someone who was beaten up based on the words of the person who beat them up. The fact Nex was suspended raises enough doubt about who started the fight for me to hold off speculating because it makes no sense they would suspend the person who didn't start the fight.

We don't know how the head injury occurred, I've read two different descriptions and I don't know which one is accurate:

"Nex was knocked to the ground during the fight and hit their head on the floor, according to their mother." This description sounds like an accident.
"one of the girls was pretty much repeatedly beating [Benedict’s] head across the floor.” This sounds like something more criminal.
Given the intelligence of many school administrators, drawing conclusions from their actions is hazardous.

Back
Top Bottom