• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lesbian couple turned away by Indiana tax preparer ... (1 Viewer)

From The Independent

Lesbian couple turned away by Indiana tax preparer four years after Mike Pence signed anti-LGBTQ law

A married lesbian couple in Indiana were turned away by a tax preparer when they attempted to file their taxes jointly last week, making them one of many victims of the state’s anti-LGBTQ laws.

Bailey and Samantha Brazzel got married last July and decided to file their taxes jointly for the first time.

The couple went to Carter Tax Service in Russiaville to meet with Nancy Fivecoate, a tax preparer Ms Bailey used for the last four years.

“We went in there and sat down just like we always would, and then she said, ‘How are you filing this year?,’ and I said ‘married joint,’ and that’s when it went downhill,” Ms Bailey Brazzel said.

When Ms Fivecoate discovered that the same-sex couple will be filing jointly, she refused to file their taxes based on religious grounds.

COMMENT:-

I'm waiting for the day when a Jew who is a cashier at a supermarket refused to ring a customer's grocery order through on the grounds that that would entail them handling both "meat" and "milk" without having a chance to "cleanse" themselves between the items or when a Christian refuses to take an order for "Surf & Turf" on the grounds that The Bible prohibits eating shellfish.

I don't really expect that I'll have to wait all that long for either to happen.

In fact, I encourage people to set up just such cases. (They might even want to toss in refusing to serve "Inter-racial" couples because "mixing races is contrary to God's Law".)

So it was okay with her religion to do the taxes of a lesbian as long as she filed single? She had gone to the same person for 4 years and only got married last year. Is that in the bible somewhere, you can only prepare lesbian and gay person's tax returns if they file single? How about head of household? You really have to love religious bigots. Sad and comical at the same time. I'd be happy to do their taxes.

So it was okay with her religion to do the taxes of a lesbian as long as she filed single? She had gone to the same person for 4 years and only got married last year. Is that in the bible somewhere, you can only prepare lesbian and gay person's tax returns if they file single? How about head of household? You really have to love religious bigots. Sad and comical at the same time. I'd be happy to do their taxes.

yep because the reality is it really has nothing to do with their religion, its just their own vile ignorant ways, they are bigots period they TRY to mask it with their religion but it doesnt work its transparent as glass.

and another post that proves my point . .this is awesome!
on what ground is this factually insignificant?
why are you claiming people should just let their rights be violated?
:popcorn2:

I'd voice my opinion and then go someplace else. Stop being troublemakers. This is a big pile of nothing!

yep because the reality is it really has nothing to do with their religion, its just their own vile ignorant ways, they are bigots period they TRY to mask it with their religion but it doesnt work its transparent as glass.

How come they all don't do it? How come a very small number of them act out this way?

Just curious,

Does this person have a RIGHT to have this other person do her taxes? What about the other person's right to refuse service for WHATEVER reason, however much or how little you think of that, does she not have that right?

I'm sure something like this could happen in this day and age of social media. Claims of racism and homophobia are greatly exaggerated these day's. We are talking about one "bad apple" here. Lets keep it real people.

Just curious,

Does this person have a RIGHT to have this other person do her taxes? What about the other person's right to refuse service for WHATEVER reason, however much or how little you think of that, does she not have that right?
Yes, the couple does have that right and no, the tax preparer doesn't have that right

Yes, the couple does have that right and no, the tax preparer doesn't have that right

Why? Because you essentially just said, the couple's rights are more important than the tax preparer's rights, why is that?

Why? Because you essentially just said, the couple's rights are more important than the tax preparer's rights, why is that?

A business that serves the public cannot refuse service based on race, sex, religion, sexual orientation and other inherent traits.

A business that serves the public cannot refuse service based on race, sex, religion, sexual orientation and other inherent traits.

Agreed, she isn't refusing service based on any of that, she is refusing service based on HER OWN religion, so why doesn't she have that right again?

Agreed, she isn't refusing service based on any of that, she is refusing service based on HER OWN religion, so why doesn't she have that right again?

It doesn't work that way and I'm quite sure you know that.

I1.)'d voice my opinion and then go someplace else. Stop being troublemakers. This is a big pile of nothing!

1.) SO a person protecting their own rights and or not letting a crime (depending on where it happens) be committed against them is a troublemaker? :lamo
2.) rights violations are a big pile of nothing? LMAO

riiiiiiiiiiight, glad most americans dont feel that way and nor does our government

How come they all don't do it? How come a very small number of them act out this way?

EXACTLY! the vast majority of business and business people are christian . . .but its only some that cry and try to violate the rights of others and or break the law

its becasue the ones that do it are pure nutters and bigots, religion is just a false claim they use that honest educated and objective people dont buy. Nobody at my church would do this.

Just curious,

1.) Does this person have a RIGHT to have this other person do her taxes?
2.) What about the other person's right to refuse service for WHATEVER reason, however much or how little you think of that, does she not have that right?

1.) nope, there is no such right
the issue is depending on where and when this happens we all have a right to not be illegally discriminated against
2.) no, there factually is no such right as YOU stated it. A person can refuse service for any reason as long as it doesnt break the law or illegally discriminate. Just like i can swing my are for WHATEVER reason I want unless it punches a person in the face. VERY basic concept.

now in some places equal rights doesnt protect sexual orientation fully yet and there it would be LEGAL in others where equal rights exist it would not.

1.) nope, there is no such right
the issue is depending on where and when this happens we all have a right to not be illegally discriminated against
2.) no, there factually is no such right as YOU stated it. A person can refuse service for any reason as long as it doesnt break the law or illegally discriminate. Just like i can swing my are for WHATEVER reason I want unless it punches a person in the face. VERY basic concept.

now in some places equal rights doesnt protect sexual orientation fully yet and there it would be LEGAL in others where equal rights exist it would not.

And they are not being illegal discriminated against, you realize that right?

It doesn't work that way and I'm quite sure you know that.

100% correct it does not work that way but there is an issue where sexual orientation is NOT nationally protected yet in all cases. Now in this case its about marriage discrimination and that is protected nationally so even in places that dont protect sexual orientation this would be a grey area IMO that would the discriminator would probably lose in court.

Easy to say, Yeah why would they want to give a backwards bigot their business? But on the other hand, if I were in there shoes, I'd be hell bent on teaching the idiot a valuable lesson focusing on the fact that this is no longer 1963.

I'm curious as to where you and a few other respectful liberals on here stand on this one.....

Muslim man wins lawsuit for getting fired for refusing to deliver beer even though he knew the company delivered beer before he took the job.

Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers In  EEOC Religious Discrimination Suit

From The Independent

Lesbian couple turned away by Indiana tax preparer four years after Mike Pence signed anti-LGBTQ law

A married lesbian couple in Indiana were turned away by a tax preparer when they attempted to file their taxes jointly last week, making them one of many victims of the state’s anti-LGBTQ laws.

Bailey and Samantha Brazzel got married last July and decided to file their taxes jointly for the first time.

The couple went to Carter Tax Service in Russiaville to meet with Nancy Fivecoate, a tax preparer Ms Bailey used for the last four years.

“We went in there and sat down just like we always would, and then she said, ‘How are you filing this year?,’ and I said ‘married joint,’ and that’s when it went downhill,” Ms Bailey Brazzel said.

When Ms Fivecoate discovered that the same-sex couple will be filing jointly, she refused to file their taxes based on religious grounds.

I'm waiting for the day when a Jew who is a cashier at a supermarket refused to ring a customer's grocery order through on the grounds that that would entail them handling both "meat" and "milk" without having a chance to "cleanse" themselves between the items or when a Christian refuses to take an order for "Surf & Turf" on the grounds that The Bible prohibits eating shellfish.

I don't really expect that I'll have to wait all that long for either to happen.

In fact, I encourage people to set up just such cases. (They might even want to toss in refusing to serve "Inter-racial" couples because "mixing races is contrary to God's Law".)

I COMPLETELY understand the issue and certainly support the tax preparer's right to refuse service. That being said, I think Fivecoate is missing out on a great opportunity to learn something.

When all this gay marriage thing started kicking off I found myself in exactly the same situation as Fivecoate. I was (and still am) opposed to gay marriage on religious grounds. I won't bother to get into the religious end of it because it's immaterial to this discussion. Anyway, I had a client and had been doing his daughter's return for years. That year he came to me and informed me that she would be getting married and that she'd be getting married to a woman. He was one proud Papa! Heck, he was damned near as proud as when she'd graduated med school. He talked about how happy he was for her. He talked about the prospects of her becoming a mother (they were contemplating IVF). He talked about all the things every father of every straight woman would talk about.

And the more he talked the more I realized that the issue had nothing to do with my beliefs.

My beliefs, I realized, were my own and I had no real standing to impose them on anyone else. In fact, if I was really going to practice my Christian, Conservative beliefs it would be improper of me to impose my beliefs on anyone else. Now, refusing to do the tax return wouldn't exactly be "imposing my beliefs" but it would be a matter of passing judgement when I probably wasn't one to be judging anyone. I had committed plenty of sin in my own life and had no expectation that I would be sinless in the coming days. If God would be willing to forgive me my sins then it would be improper of me to NOT forgive the sins of someone else.

Matthew 12:24-37 would be worth a read to Ms Fivecoate.

And they are not being illegal discriminated against, you realize that right?

Says who? you? based on what facts?
even in areas that do not fully protect sexual orientation this discrimination is based on marriage and marriage rights are national protected which makes it a grey area and id gladly bet on this false loop hole in Indian would totally fail if challenged in federal court and i hope for the sake of Indiana and other places it does!failing in federal court

From The Independent

Your wait is over, for a Muslim to do it:

Redirect Notice

From The Independent

I hope Nancy Fivecoate is enjoying the feedback she must be getting for doing this.

That is, Nancy Fivecoate of Russiaville (which sound about right) Indiana. :mrgreen:

Says who? you? based on what facts?
even in areas that do not fully protect sexual orientation this discrimination is based on marriage and marriage rights are national protected which makes it a grey area and id gladly bet on this false loop hole in Indian would totally fail if challenged in federal court and i hope for the sake of Indiana and other places it does!failing in federal court

?? Marriage rights? Please cite this, I believe nationally protected rights are race, color, religion, and origin. Nothing to do with marriage rights....

I'm curious as to where you and a few other respectful liberals on here stand on this one.....

Muslim man wins lawsuit for getting fired for refusing to deliver beer even though he knew the company delivered beer before he took the job.

Jury Awards $240,000 to Muslim Truck Drivers In* EEOC Religious Discrimination Suit

This I don't agree with. He refused to perform services(that he knew was part of his job description) for his employer My guess he was looking for a pay day. And he wasn't refusing service to a customer walking in off the street.

That might be true in "Chitown" - but as a blanket statement applying to Indiana or other states, it is false.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom