• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Left side bar

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,178
Reaction score
6,283
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
All,

It has become clear to me that the sidebar is not adding revenue to the forum. Since the first of the year, we can get 1 cup of coffee!! Woohoo! (at starbucks, so it's not *that* bad)

But, I believe we need to remove it and come up with a better ad system. It was a good idea while it lasted. Hopefully I will get this removed by the first of April. A banner announcement will be made with directions on how to turn this feature back on.

Concerns:
  • The Largest forums do not have this and it is in the way for smaller resolution users.
  • Current users are familiar with the sidebar look.
  • Some of our donators may have done so with the sole intent of removing the sidebar.
  • Additional bandwidth
  • Have we lost potential users due to the sidebar?
  • How do I find all the stuff I am familiar with?

Solutions:
  • Guests will continue to see this as when we do get clicks, they are mostly coming from guests.
  • Every user will have the ability to turn on/off the sidebar - default will be *off*.
  • If a donator wishes his/her monies back, it will be refunded less the paypal fees upon request.
  • A additional row will be added at the very top of the forums that will list links which are common.

Thoughts?
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
vauge said:
All,

It has become clear to me that the sidebar is not adding revenue to the forum. Since the first of the year, we can get 1 cup of coffee!! Woohoo! (at starbucks, so it's not *that* bad)

But, I believe we need to remove it and come up with a better ad system. It was a good idea while it lasted. Hopefully I will get this removed by the first of April. A banner announcement will be made with directions on how to turn this feature back on.

Concerns:
  • The Largest forums do not have this and it is in the way for smaller resolution users.
  • Current users are familiar with the sidebar look.
  • Some of our donators may have done so with the sole intent of removing the sidebar.
  • Additional bandwidth
  • Have we lost potential users due to the sidebar?
  • How do I find all the stuff I am familiar with?

Solutions:
  • Guests will continue to see this as when we do get clicks, they are mostly coming from guests.
  • Every user will have the ability to turn on/off the sidebar - default will be *off*.
  • If a donator wishes his/her monies back, it will be refunded less the paypal fees upon request.
  • A additional row will be added at the very top of the forums that will list links which are common.

Thoughts?

Google Adsense?
Blogads?

Also - if you get an amazon associates referral account, then you get a special link which you can post anyplace. If someone follows that link to amazon to look at a product you link to and buys it, you make $$$. It's between 4 and 7.5% on each purchase. ALSO - even if they don't buy that specific product, just by virtue of following your link, if they shop around while they're there and then buy something else, you make profit of that as well.

It's a fantastic program and seems to be really lucrative. I set one up, but I cant use it myself to make money, so id be more than happy to use the one from here when i buy stuff. I end up buying beween 3 and 6 hundred dollars worth of books for school each semester, mostly through amazon, so that'd be something like 20 bucks for DP.
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,178
Reaction score
6,283
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
RightatNYU said:
Also - if you get an amazon associates referral account, then you get a special link which you can post anyplace. If someone follows that link to amazon to look at a product you link to and buys it, you make $$$. It's between 4 and 7.5% on each purchase. ALSO - even if they don't buy that specific product, just by virtue of following your link, if they shop around while they're there and then buy something else, you make profit of that as well.

It's a fantastic program and seems to be really lucrative. I set one up, but I cant use it myself to make money, so id be more than happy to use the one from here when i buy stuff. I end up buying beween 3 and 6 hundred dollars worth of books for school each semester, mostly through amazon, so that'd be something like 20 bucks for DP.
We've already got one. lol

Test... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_1/102-9335489-7778542?_encoding=UTF8

It should add our referal id to it
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,178
Reaction score
6,283
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Book I just finished reading... pretty funny stuff. lol
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
vauge said:
All,

It has become clear to me that the sidebar is not adding revenue to the forum. Since the first of the year, we can get 1 cup of coffee!! Woohoo! (at starbucks, so it's not *that* bad)

But, I believe we need to remove it and come up with a better ad system. It was a good idea while it lasted. Hopefully I will get this removed by the first of April. A banner announcement will be made with directions on how to turn this feature back on.

Concerns:
  • The Largest forums do not have this and it is in the way for smaller resolution users.
  • Current users are familiar with the sidebar look.
  • Some of our donators may have done so with the sole intent of removing the sidebar.
  • Additional bandwidth
  • Have we lost potential users due to the sidebar?
  • How do I find all the stuff I am familiar with?

Solutions:
  • Guests will continue to see this as when we do get clicks, they are mostly coming from guests.
  • Every user will have the ability to turn on/off the sidebar - default will be *off*.
  • If a donator wishes his/her monies back, it will be refunded less the paypal fees upon request.
  • A additional row will be added at the very top of the forums that will list links which are common.

Thoughts?
What side bar?
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,178
Reaction score
6,283
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
jfuh said:
What side bar?
Is there a sidebar to your left that has "navigation" and a few ads?
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
vauge said:
Is there a sidebar to your left that has "navigation" and a few ads?
I see navigation, but no ads.
May have something to do with my using firefox
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,178
Reaction score
6,283
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
jfuh said:
I see navigation, but no ads.
May have something to do with my using firefox
Yeah.. that. :)

Some popup blockers will block those ads as well.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
vauge said:
We've already got one. lol

Test... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_1/102-9335489-7778542?_encoding=UTF8

It should add our referal id to it
Is there a way in which, say, if I wanted to link to a book, I could create a link to it with the DP referral id?

Or, is there a place on the website where there is a link to Amazon that we can go through? I always feel like I'm missing out when I just buy books through there knowing that I could earn someone some cash through referral...:lol:
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,178
Reaction score
6,283
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
RightatNYU said:
Is there a way in which, say, if I wanted to link to a book, I could create a link to it with the DP referral id?

Or, is there a place on the website where there is a link to Amazon that we can go through? I always feel like I'm missing out when I just buy books through there knowing that I could earn someone some cash through referral...:lol:
Every link to amazon will create a referal ID automatically.

I will make a referal icon for us as well.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Last edited:
Top Bottom