• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lead from gasoline blunted the IQ of about half the U.S. population, study says

It only explains you.

Exposure to leaded gasoline lowered the IQ of about half the population of the United States, a new study estimates

I underlined the weasel word for you, not that you would know what that is.

The "study" (snicker) was conducted by a sociologist and a geographer.

Neither of those are sciences.
Tell me if you were born before 1996 or after with out telling me……..

It only explains you.

Exposure to leaded gasoline lowered the IQ of about half the population of the United States, a new study estimates

I underlined the weasel word for you, not that you would know what that is.

The "study" (snicker) was conducted by a sociologist and a geographer.

Neither of those are sciences.
Most studies have estimates, its kinda a requirement to word it that way. I would have gone with the second critique as more valid.

Must suck for people in the cities with the worst traffic

Boston
NYC
Atlanta
LA
Philadelphia
DC
San Francisco
Portland
Chicago
We can add entire counties. Westchester, the boroughs of NYC, Bergen County in NJ.

Yep, Biden lost about 50 points...
Just saw a gas station with $6/gal gas. I asked someone today who works for a drain cleaning service how inflation is affecting the business. He said they have already had to raise prices. I know why Democrats like this. When we pay more for goods and services, we pay more taxes without raising the income and capital gains taxes. Biden is going in the back door to get money for his BBB bull crap. But, we are on to him.
And ALEC chooses all the judges your guys appoint for their business friendliness.

You’re not fooling anyone with the nonsense you’ve been fooled with.

If we are focusing on leaded gasoline, it's not been around for some time now.

The U.S. Congress adopted the Clean Air Act in 1970 and created the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Clean Air Act set air quality standards that included a timetable for phasing out leaded gasoline.​
The Clean Air Act also regulated automobile emissions of carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and hydrocarbons for the first time. The automobile industry responded to these new standards by devising ways to reduce emissions such as developing catalytic converters, which convert harmful emissions into water, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen gas. Leaded gasoline damages catalytic converters.​
By 1975, unleaded gasoline was universally available. Effective January 1, 1996, leaded gasoline was banned by the Clean Air Act for use in new vehicles other than aircraft, racing cars, farm equipment, and marine engines.​

2022 - 1996 = 26 years

I wouldn't want this to be somehow attributed to the crime rates we are now facing, which have a different root cause.

Explains so much!

”In many cases, McFarland said, a 2 to 3 point IQ difference is nominal, unless an individual is on the lower side of IQ distribution.

“If you’re more toward cognitive impairment, a couple points can mean a lot,” he said.
74 million votes for Trump after is dismissal performance in term is evidence therefore. Not quite half, but pretty close.

And ALEC chooses all the judges your guys appoint for their business friendliness.

You’re not fooling anyone with the nonsense you’ve been fooled with.
Do try to stay up with the topic. This is all a ploy to steal more money from the people of America while distributing it to the Russians.

If we are focusing on leaded gasoline, it's not been around for some time now.

The U.S. Congress adopted the Clean Air Act in 1970 and created the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Clean Air Act set air quality standards that included a timetable for phasing out leaded gasoline.​
The Clean Air Act also regulated automobile emissions of carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and hydrocarbons for the first time. The automobile industry responded to these new standards by devising ways to reduce emissions such as developing catalytic converters, which convert harmful emissions into water, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen gas. Leaded gasoline damages catalytic converters.​
By 1975, unleaded gasoline was universally available. Effective January 1, 1996, leaded gasoline was banned by the Clean Air Act for use in new vehicles other than aircraft, racing cars, farm equipment, and marine engines.​

2022 - 1996 = 26 years

I wouldn't want this to be somehow attributed to the crime rates we are now facing, which have a different root cause.
your conclusion causes me to ask you if you have seen the data showing the trend of crime in the USA?

my earlier cite was to offer a potential explanation for the spike in crime at a time when leaded gasoline was widespread and the generation thereafter. hopefully, you do recognize that the impact of accumulated lead would require time to develop; that its impact would not be observed immediately

your conclusion causes me to ask you if you have seen the data showing the trend of crime in the USA?
It would appear to be significantly increasing in large cities.

my earlier cite was to offer a potential explanation for the spike in crime at a time when leaded gasoline was widespread and the generation thereafter. hopefully, you do recognize that the impact of accumulated lead would require time to develop; that its impact would not be observed immediately
Leaded gas was banned 26 years ago. Is the majority of violent crime being committed now by 50 year old people? By 40 year old people?

It would appear to be significantly increasing in large cities.
what data tells you this?
Leaded gas was banned 26 years ago. Is the majority of violent crime being committed now by 50 year old people? By 40 year old people?
how old would a 50 year old have been 26 years ago?
seems you do not understand what was conveyed
the crime spike - as explained in the cite - was during the 80s early 90s
the first unleaded gas was available ~ 1974
the level of lead was substantial and impacted small kids, some of whom grew to become adults exhibiting criminal behavior in a way that spiked the trend lines before and after them

what data tells you this?

how old would a 50 year old have been 26 years ago?
seems you do not understand what was conveyed
the crime spike - as explained in the cite - was during the 80s early 90s
the first unleaded gas was available ~ 1974
the level of lead was substantial and impacted small kids, some of whom grew to become adults exhibiting criminal behavior in a way that spiked the trend lines before and after them
Some 26 years ago is ancient history then, isn't it?

For centuries children in the colonies and later the States played with lead toys, stuck lead toys in their mouths, played with lead toys made with lead paint, spent their entire lives immersed in lead paint and on and on.

Are you suggesting lead is controlled by some supernatural force and only started causing problems of late?

Or are you suggesting lead was dormant for 1,000s of years and the Morgons living on Gamma Hydra Epsilon sent a coded message using sup-space carrier waves to activate lead and make it dangerous?

Nobody worried about the side effect of lead for several reasons.

There were no cheap substitutes.

And medical science was not sophisticated enough to measure hidden long term health risks.

Some 26 years ago is ancient history then, isn't it?
damn
you still don't understand

first, explain how old "ancient" is

second, we are speaking about a crime spike in the 80s & early 90s
which might explain why crime has receded since unleaded gasoline was required for new cars followed by an eventual end of the sale of leaded fuel

and the answer to your STUPID, STUPID question is: NO

damn
you still don't understand

first, explain how old "ancient" is

second, we are speaking about a crime spike in the 80s & early 90s
Yeah, I'll admit that I missed this part.

which might explain why crime has receded since unleaded gasoline was required for new cars followed by an eventual end of the sale of leaded fuel
It might. But then what happened?

and the answer to your STUPID, STUPID question is: NO
Oh, take it easy already.

Yep, Biden lost about 50 points...
Just saw a gas station with $6/gal gas. I asked someone today who works for a drain cleaning service how inflation is affecting the business. He said they have already had to raise prices. I know why Democrats like this. When we pay more for goods and services, we pay more taxes without raising the income and capital gains taxes. Biden is going in the back door to get money for his BBB bull crap. But, we are on to him.
Without the stimulus, the person working for the drain cleaining service might not have a job at all.

The flip side of inflation is unemployment. Funny how Republicans never make that connection.

Regarding gas prices, they've been on an upward trend since bottoming out in April 2020 at the start of the coronavirus pandemic. This is because of booming demand during the recovery — thanks to Democrats.

Without the stimulus, the person working for the drain cleaining service might not have a job at all.

The flip side of inflation is unemployment. Funny how Republicans never make that connection.

Regarding gas prices, they've been on an upward trend since bottoming out in April 2020 at the start of the coronavirus pandemic. This is because of booming demand during the recovery — thanks to Democrats.
Well, I semi disagree. It's not 'thanks to the democrats', It's the natural progression of controling the pandemic and for it naturally to run it's course. The vaccines and theraputics help drastically, but so did a great deal of luck, and just time. It would have been a lot worse without vaccines and social distancing, but most of use would have gotten through it.

Back
Top Bottom