• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lead from gasoline blunted the IQ of about half the U.S. population, study says

I think study methodology is flawed. The article stated that it applies to those born before 1996, because by then lead in gas was banned. However, starting in 1973, cars could not take accept leaded gasoline. The car replacement rate is estimated to be 20% per year. That means that by 1983, there were only 14% of the cars that needed leaded gas, vastly reducing the amount of lead in the air.

This graph shows it. 1996 shouldn't be the cutoff year.

Table6.jpg

Yep, Biden lost about 50 points...
Just saw a gas station with $6/gal gas. I asked someone today who works for a drain cleaning service how inflation is affecting the business. He said they have already had to raise prices. I know why Democrats like this. When we pay more for goods and services, we pay more taxes without raising the income and capital gains taxes. Biden is going in the back door to get money for his BBB bull crap. But, we are on to him.
Oh man, you're on to us we just want more tax revenue. Oh, wait...
If you keep getting a raise because of inflation, and have to pay 23% of the raise in taxes, didn't you still get 73% more take-home pay?

I think study methodology is flawed. The article stated that it applies to those born before 1996, because by then lead in gas was banned. However, starting in 1973, cars could not take accept leaded gasoline. The car replacement rate is estimated to be 20% per year. That means that by 1983, there were only 14% of the cars that needed leaded gas, vastly reducing the amount of lead in the air.

Table6.jpg

Actually, it was 1975, the year GM introduced the catalytic converter.

Another thing happened in the years after cars no longer took leaded gas.

Exhaust systems that used to wear out at 40 to 50K miles started lasting the length of the car’s life.

Explains so much!

”In many cases, McFarland said, a 2 to 3 point IQ difference is nominal, unless an individual is on the lower side of IQ distribution.

“If you’re more toward cognitive impairment, a couple points can mean a lot,” he said.
And those with the biggest trucks that burn the most gas...hmmm
best_crop_97b2b0545797a4f7f7f0_TrumpTrainTruck_DH_Pic.jpg

Without the stimulus, the person working for the drain cleaining service might not have a job at all.

The flip side of inflation is unemployment. Funny how Republicans never make that connection.

Regarding gas prices, they've been on an upward trend since bottoming out in April 2020 at the start of the coronavirus pandemic. This is because of booming demand during the recovery — thanks to Democrats.
Drains need to be cleaned. He worked through the pandemic. There are some services that didn't suffer. Financial services is another one if companies learned how to ZOOM. You are generalizing the issue. The fact is, Biden is responsible for the inflation problem and we need to send a loud message in November's election. It's also interesting that we have very low unemployment during Trump's administration when inflation was very low. Funny how Democrats never make this connection.
Democrats actually stopped the growth of the economy by continuing and increasing mandates that never made sense. Now, the CDC director and others are admitting the mandates did not stop the virus nor did the vaccines and certainly not the masks. In fact, all the Democrat run shutdowns actually spread the virus and the CDC is admitting this. Yet, the stupid Biden administration won't let them lift the mask mandates in airplanes.
Gas prices are the Biben and Demobrats responsibly. They keep changing the reasons why the inflation of gas and other goods. They blame the virus. Then the Russians, then this and that. Pathetic.

Just saw a gas station with $6/gal gas. I asked someone today who works for a drain cleaning service how inflation is affecting the business. He said they have already had to raise prices. I know why Democrats like this. When we pay more for goods and services, we pay more taxes without raising the income and capital gains taxes. Biden is going in the back door to get money for his BBB bull crap. But, we are on to him.
Of COURSE, government likes inflation. How is Biden going to pay off the debt he incurred for giving everyone free money and sending out crack pipes and test kits and giving 40 million to Venezuela for "Democracy", which means to a Dem whatever they claim it means, like masks "work". I imagine they will tell Venezuela that they must hire females and trannies and have blacks in their cabinet and oh wait...they don't have a cabinet there....it's a dictatorship that Dems just love.

Yes, it's all a conspiracy to make you poor. It's all Biden and has nothing to do with the Russian sanctions and decades of inflating our currency to pay for stupid tax cuts for billionaires. Yeah, that's it.

If only Trump were still president, he could stop Putin, presumably by fellating him to death, and demand that a commodity whose price is not set by the president be lowered so you can afford to take the kids to a Klan picnic. Yes, you're on to him.

How clever Biden was to force Reagan, the Bushes and Trump to rape the treasury, borrowing trillions and devaluing our currency,, knowing it would ultimately manifest as higher prices, preventing you from being able to buy mountain dew for your babies. Biden should be ashamed. Yeah...

Of COURSE, government likes inflation. How is Biden going to pay off the debt he incurred for giving everyone free money and sending out crack pipes and test kits and giving 40 million to Venezuela for "Democracy", which means to a Dem whatever they claim it means, like masks "work". I imagine they will tell Venezuela that they must hire females and trannies and have blacks in their cabinet and oh wait...they don't have a cabinet there....it's a dictatorship that Dems just love.

Wait a minute. Venezuela's dictator is Putin's pal, thus a vicarious GOP protectorate. Is the fascist honeymoon over? Are you trying to say their dictatorship is offensive to conservatives now, who traitorously tried to install one HERE? There's no continuity to your rhetoric.

If they don't have blacks and women and transgendered people represented in their dictatorship, that sounds to me like a Republican dream. Why are you bitching about it? Frankly, I'm shocked we haven't seen a massive southern migration of fat, angry morons in MAGA hats.

I've seen that research and it's actually very compelling. At least one study that I cannot locate showed very strong links between when a given country/state banned leaded gasoline and drops in crime. Since the time period often varied by many years, the correlation being so consistent makes a strong case. In the U.S. the drops in crime happened so similarly, but with many different approaches to policing etc. so there was never a good explanation for why crime dropped in, say, NYC using one policing approach, and also in SF with a different approach, and Atlanta with a third.

Wait a minute. Venezuela's dictator is Putin's pal, thus a vicarious GOP protectorate. Is the fascist honeymoon over? Are you trying to say their dictatorship is offensive to conservatives now, who traitorously tried to install one HERE? There's no continuity to your rhetoric.

If they don't have blacks and women and transgendered people represented in their dictatorship, that sounds to me like a Republican dream. Why are you bitching about it? Frankly, I'm shocked we haven't seen a massive southern migration of fat, angry morons in MAGA hats.
NO conservative likes the Venezuelan dictator.

PS. This is the Democratic war....not conservatives.

Explains so much!

”In many cases, McFarland said, a 2 to 3 point IQ difference is nominal, unless an individual is on the lower side of IQ distribution.

“If you’re more toward cognitive impairment, a couple points can mean a lot,” he said.
Umm, what happened to the other half?

For centuries children in the colonies and later the States played with lead toys, stuck lead toys in their mouths, played with lead toys made with lead paint, spent their entire lives immersed in lead paint and on and on.

Are you suggesting lead is controlled by some supernatural force and only started causing problems of late?

Or are you suggesting lead was dormant for 1,000s of years and the Morgons living on Gamma Hydra Epsilon sent a coded message using sup-space carrier waves to activate lead and make it dangerous?
...how on earth did you come up with such a ridiculous interpretation?

Must suck for people in the cities with the worst traffic

Boston
NYC
Atlanta
LA
Philadelphia
DC
San Francisco
Portland
Chicago
Note how many of them are bastions of liberalism!

Yes, it's all a conspiracy to make you poor. It's all Biden and has nothing to do with the Russian sanctions and decades of inflating our currency to pay for stupid tax cuts for billionaires. Yeah, that's it.

If only Trump were still president, he could stop Putin, presumably by fellating him to death, and demand that a commodity whose price is not set by the president be lowered so you can afford to take the kids to a Klan picnic. Yes, you're on to him.

How clever Biden was to force Reagan, the Bushes and Trump to rape the treasury, borrowing trillions and devaluing our currency,, knowing it would ultimately manifest as higher prices, preventing you from being able to buy mountain dew for your babies. Biden should be ashamed. Yeah...
Another lie about tax cuts for billionaires and they never pay taxes and more lies. Biden is a driveling mess and he's worse than Jimmy Carter ever thought of being.
Keep supporting your communist leader in bed with other totalitarian leaders of China, Russia, Venezuela, Iran and others he's trying to buy oil from instead of just opening up more drilling like the ones he shut down.
Biden just has to continue to get his debt plans through Congress to increase the national debt even more. But, he's found another door leading to the same outcome, inflation 7.9%!!! And, we know it's more like 16% using 1982's metrics. Way to go Biden! He hates poor people because they weren't paying enough in taxes so he just increases inflation to do that.

NO conservative likes the Venezuelan dictator.

PS. This is the Democratic war....not conservatives.

The Russian war is a "democratic" war? I'm beginning to comprehend the full scope of your delusion now. Which democratic ex-president was it that called Putin "genius" again? And which team does Pompeo and Tucker (the traitor) Carlson play for again?

I'm afraid your denial is laughably, transparently dumb.

The Russian war is a "democratic" war? I'm beginning to comprehend the full scope of your delusion now. Which democratic ex-president was it that called Putin "genius" again? And which team does Pompeo and Tucker (the traitor) Carlson play for again?

I'm afraid your denial is laughably, transparently dumb.
For the hundredth time, did Putin attack Ukraine while TRUMP was president?

For the hundredth time, did Putin attack Ukraine while TRUMP was president?

That's the sort of capricious logic that only religious fanatics can think is reasonable. Your religion is Trump and you're a fanatic. Trump does not control Putin, it's the opposite.

Not remotely surprising. I've thought of it a lot. Just think about the effects of it, sitting in traffic for hrs every day commuting?

There are probably other chemicals doing just as much harm in current exhaust fumes. Cancer?

Most gas stations stopped selling leaded gasoline in the 1980's.
I remember when they initially offered "low lead" gasoline but the introduction of catalytic converters is really what began
the eventual phaseout...and cars that did not have cats began to use lead substitute additives to protect the valve seals in the cylinder
heads of the older engines, and to prevent knocking.
Lead destroys catalytic converters.

Fact is, as any of these older engines reach the point where they need to have cylinder head work done, or need an overhaul or rebuild,
the replacement valve seats used are modern hardened seats, which makes the need for lead unnecessary anyway.
And again, lead substitutes like Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, ethanol, ferrocene or ethyl tert-butyl ether are available as anti-knock agents.

The only remaining engines that still require the use of lead as an additive are a very few farm implement engines, a very few marine engines and
a very few racing engines.
And all of those are being phased out now, too.

No ON-ROAD vehicles are allowed to use leaded gasoline, and that's been the law for quite some time.

Explains so much!

The "confidence interval" for most modern IQ tests is ± 10 points. NO modern IQ test claims to be as accurate as the study claims to have measured it.

Explains so much!

I mean, we currently know that Lead is absolutely ****ing terrible for human brains, and human contact with it should be avoided if at all possible.
This study does not surprise me.

Probably would surprise various people back when they were installing lead pipes, using lead paint, and putting lead in vehicle fuel.

That said, are IQ tests accurate enough that they can even tell this? It was my understanding that IQ tests were not that accurate, and for that matter were effected by where and how a person was raised.

The "confidence interval" for most modern IQ tests is ± 10 points. NO modern IQ test claims to be as accurate as the study claims to have measured it.
It doesn’t work like that. Even if the difference is within the CI, a sufficiently large sample size can detect a difference.

Table6.jpg
I don't have access to the actual study methodology, but did manage to track down an abstract of the paper "Half of US population exposed to adverse lead levels in early childhood".

What I get from the abstract is that they:

[1] used the IQ data for 1976 to 1980;​
[2] used the IQ data for 2015 to 2016;​
[3] found a difference;​
[4] used the fact that there was lead in the gasoline in the 1976 to 1980 period;​
[5] used the fact that there was no lead in the gasoline in the 2015 to 2016 period;​
and​
[6] concluded that the difference between [1] and [2] was CAUSED by the difference between [4] and [5];​
without​
[7] considering that the difference between [1] and [2] was within the confidence interval of the tests that they were using the results from;​
[8] considering that there may have been a difference in the way that the tests that they were using the results from were administered;​
[9] considering that there may have been a difference in the tests that they were using the results from;​
or​
[10] considering that there may have been some other cause that would explain the "discrepancy".​

Now I won't say that the above would NECESSARILY invalidate their conclusion, but I sure wouldn't want to bet the ranch on their conclusion being 100% correct.

it's been years ago since reading it, but i recall the outcome revealing that children who lived closer to the major roadways were found to have experienced a ~3 point loss of IQ when compared to kids who were not resident along a well traveled connector road

Well, I semi disagree. It's not 'thanks to the democrats', It's the natural progression of controling the pandemic and for it naturally to run it's course. The vaccines and theraputics help drastically, but so did a great deal of luck, and just time. It would have been a lot worse without vaccines and social distancing, but most of use would have gotten through it.
I was referring to the $5 trillion stimulus. To be fair, some Republicans supported some of it.

Back
Top Bottom