• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Latest Evidence:The Olympics Need to DIE

Just so there are no misunderstandings on Russian-state culpability regarding athletic doping...

Russian state sponsored doping 'beautiful in its simplicity'

Mon Jul 18, 2016

A system of state sponsored doping was "beautiful in its simplicity, Richard McLaren told Reuters after releasing an explosive report on Monday that detailed widespread doping and manipulation of tests by Russian athletes and officials. McLaren described the system as a "failsafe" last line of defense in disposing of a positive test if a doped elite athlete did not achieve protection during the sample collection and transportation process. McLaren said the failsafe system within the Moscow lab was in operation for the 2013 IAAF world championships, the 2013 World University Games in Kazan, the 2015 world swimming championships, and the preparation for the Russian Olympic team in the run up to the 2012 London Summer Games.

While the Moscow lab operated in simplicity, the plan developed to avoid positive tests at the Sochi Olympics was something out of a James Bond spy novel complete with clandestine late night swapping of samples and a method to crack into sealed bottles developed by the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) or former-KGB. McLaren's investigative team chose 95 samples from lists of protected athletes, certain Russian medal winners stored in a Lausanne laboratory after the Sochi Games and from that pool selected 11 sample bottles.

The investigation found that all 11 had been tampered with, finding scratches and marks on the inside of the bottle caps indicating a tool had been used to open them. "Of the set of samples I suspected of being swapped, 100 percent have evidence of tampering," said McLaren. "Sochi was a unique situation. It was needed because of the presence of the international community in the labs. It enabled Russian athletes to compete dirty while being certain that their samples would be reported clean."

WADA Calls for Entire Russian Team to Be Banned From Rio Olympics

IOC vows 'toughest sanctions' after report finds Moscow ran broad doping scheme

Russia committed the ultimate crime, and now they must face the ultimate punishment

Some questions and answers about the Russian doping report

The WADA Report on Russian doping is available at the link below for download (English language/.pdf file)

McLaren Independent Investigations Report into Sochi Allegations | World Anti-Doping Agency

Oh you are playing with me now, right?

The logic of statutes of limitations is "Justice requires reasonable time frames"........ and what do you know, that is my argument here.

And yet there are no statute of limitations for someone who CHEATS. You are making up rules that don't exist. If you cheated YEARS ago and admitted it today, you lose anything you won while cheating. You did not play the game fairly, and when that was discovered is irrelevant. Best way to avoid that is to NOT CHEAT.

I am saying that if you did not give her proper notice, and you had the ability to do so, honor demands that you follow through.

Did she give you "proper notice" that she cheated so you could make an informed decision? If not, then your point is irrelevant.

I am saying that you boot people individually now as the evidence warrants, but if the entire country was to be univited from RIO it had to be done months ago, out of fidelity to justice. I might be open to gigging them the next time, if there is a next time, which I hope does not come to pass, because the Olympics need to die again.

I also will say here that I am not that interested in taking this out on the individual people, it is very likely that they did not have much in the way of choice. When the East Germans were doping there was no option, if they wanted to go the the games they had to follow the rules that the East German Government gave them for doing so.

No, bubba is right. You are proposing that people who are NOT complying with rules, giving them an unfair advantage, should be allowed to compete against those who DO comply with the rules. WHY they cheated is irrelevant. I don't care if a gun was pointed at their head... they still cheated and should be disqualified.

Russia should not be banned. Why? Simple.

All nations have had or have directly or indirectly doping programs but none of them have had the same possible punishment as Russia. So this is political by the "major nations", aka the US, with Canada being the US proxy. The inconsistency of the punishment and hypocrisy is beyond laughable. US doping officials covered up for Lance Armstrong for years and yet they are not being investigated and banned? Considering the history of organized doping in US sports, then the US should be under a microscope.. instead it is Russia and some what Kenya. Everyone dopes and it is time to admit it and not use partisan political bull**** to define who should be punished or not!

No what should be done is simple.

The top 5 in all Olympic events have to summit to doping tests, including blood tests. I think it is done for the top 3 already if I am not mistaken.

Countries that are under suspicion or a specific sport or even people, have to subject all their semi-finalist and above sportsmen/women to doping tests including blood tests by independent sources.

Countries/sports/people who have a history of abuse, have to have all athletes automatically subjected to doping tests as soon as said person qualifies and then regularly (random times) up to the Olympics. Within 2-6 weeks of the start of the competition there must be at least 10 random doping check ups.

For example, the US Track and Field squad. It has a bad history of doping suspicion or actual doping. One of the 100 meter contestants is Justin Gatlin, a convicted doper. Hence the whole team should be under suspicion and should be constantly checked up to and during the games.

And yes because Russia has been "busted" as they say, every single participant needs to be tested before, during and yes even after by independent sources. Hell randomize them with public, private.. double check.. I dont care, as long as there is no doubt that the results are as best as they can be. For example use the Olympic testers plus one or two random countries testers.. of course not the US, Russia or Kenya since they are under suspicion.

Russia should not be banned. Why? Simple. All nations have had or have directly or indirectly doping programs but none of them have had the same possible punishment as Russia.

This is not a case of a few rogue/outlier athlete's competing on the international stage as you intimate. This is far different. The Russian state (Ministry of Sports/ARAF) orchestrated and implemented different schemes that protected Russian athlete's who were illegally using performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) in international competition. The McLaren Report released yesterday (7/18/16) confirmed Moscow's complicity in a doping scandal that ensnared 28 summer and winter sports, lasted at least four years, and involved a minimum of 312 positive tests in which doped-up Russian athlete's enjoyed a superior physical advantage over clean opponents. At every step of the way, the Russian government has worked very hard and utilized its security service (FSB) to conceal the depth and scope of the scandal. Despite the possible Olympic consequences, the World Anti-Doping Association (WADA) McLaren report recounted how Russian officials were still obstructing independent testers and that many Russian athletes were avoiding new tests. There has been no international athletic cheating on this scale since the bygone days of the USSR/Warsaw Bloc. The issue of collective guilt has been raised, but the guilt is indeed collective. Only 1 Russian athlete and only 1 Russian sports official have cooperated with international authorities. Fearing for their safety, both individuals have fled Russia.

Statement of the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee on WADA report - Olympic News
19 July 2016

“The findings of the report show a shocking and unprecedented attack on the integrity of sports and on the Olympic Games. Therefore, the IOC will not hesitate to take the toughest sanctions available against any individual or organisation implicated,” IOC President Thomas Bach said.

Previously, the IOC has never gone against the rulings of any of the major sports federations which govern international athletic competition. The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), which governs international track and field competition, suspended the All-Russia Athletic Federation (ARAF) on 13 November 2015 for doping violations. The WADA report released yesterday implicates Russian athlete's from many international sports, from weightlifting and swimming to table tennis. Last month the IAAF upheld its suspension of Russian track and field athlete's.

Although an all-inclusive IOC ban on Russia is certainly warranted, I have grave doubts that the IOC is up to the task. This will certainly be viewed as a political consideration rather than an ethical stance. Russia is one of the IOC's biggest supporters and spent $50 billion hosting the Winter Games in Sochi just two years ago. Never mind that at least half of that $50 billion was lost via corruption. Russia also has the third-largest number of athletes scheduled to compete in Rio. The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), which is the final authority when it comes to world sports events is considering an appeal from Russia's track and field athletes who were previously suspended (IAAF) and is due to rule on their fate by Thursday. The CAS court recently (7/15/16) upheld the four-year suspension of Russian weightlifter Alexei Lovchev for violating anti-doping rules.

171292_600.jpg

Simpleχity;1066099329 said:
This is not a case of a few rogue/outlier athlete's competing on the international stage as you intimate. This is far different. The Russian state (Ministry of Sports/ARAF) orchestrated and implemented different schemes that protected Russian athlete's who were illegally using performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) in international competition.

It is no different. The investigation is politically motivated pure and simple. Did the Russians do what they are accused off? Sure, why not it would not surprise me. But that also ignores other countries doing something similar over the last 30-50 years. It is the classic bait and switch (I think it is called that), where you say "look a flying pig" all in the while you do something bad behind the back of people looking for the flying pig.

Tell me what is the difference between what the Russians did and what the US anti-doping agency and cycling world body did with lance Armstrong? Absolutely nothing.. as it was officials of said countries or and sports that were involved in either covering up or facilitating the doping it self.

Yes the Russians seem to have gone to a whole other scale (not really, the East Germans and Soviets, Chinese had similar programs once), but so what? Does that excuse the actions of other countries that they either have not had the sophistication, ability or willingness to do something similar? What about the Germans? A lot of the top trainers of East German sports moved to "Germany" after the fall of the wall. Why was Germany not put under a microscope after the fall of the wall.. you can not tell me that the East Germans did not dope.. How about the Americans in the 1970s and 1980s? Carl Lewis all but admitted he was doped in 1984.. why no investigation? Why no massive investigation into US anti doping when the Baseball scandal broke? Or Balco? Not even the Lance Armstrong scandal brought in a massive investigation in the US or by international organisations.. why? The US has a very bad history of doping.. in the private sector yes, but still doping. So why? Considering the prevalence of organized doping in American sports over the decades, then it is amazing that the US is allowed to even compete outside the US.

Should Russia be punished? Yes. Should Russian athletes be punished? No, only those caught doping. Hence my suggestions that countries or sports under suspicion need to be put under the microscope by independent organisations with no connection (or people from) the suspected nations and sports. We cant keep going in the same bull**** political sphere every time this happens.

Tell me this.. how on earth can the US Olympic Committee allow Justin Gatlin to compete? He is an admitted doper! That shows an arrogance and hypocrisy that I can not stand. And yes this goes for any country that allows convicted dopers to compete. It also shows that they are not serious about doping.. which we already knew because of the lack of international and national action over the decades..

I want to see a clean Olympics.. but also want to see the best non doped athletes there and banning a whole nation is utterly idiotic considering that we have the ability to check if their sportsmen and women are doped or not.

930014-15396066-640-360.jpg

Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko. The doping scandal is now extending to FIFA and Russian soccer teams

WADA Says Russian State Involved in Doping Scandal

WADA Accuses Russia of Obstructing Anti-Doping Tests

WADA Calls for Entire Russian Team to Be Banned From Rio Olympics

FIFA to Investigate Mutko's Role in Russian Doping

FIFA To Respond To Cover-Up Of Doping By Russian Soccer Players

IOC Bans Russian Sports Officials From Rio, Delays Athlete Ruling

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has barred Russian sports officials from receiving official accreditation to attend the upcoming Olympic Games, a statement released on the IOC website read Tuesday. The IOC also announced a number of other emergency measures, such as refusing to support any sporting events held in Russia and urging all international Olympic Winter Sports Federations to avoid holding events in the country.

Russia and the World Await Olympic Ban Decision

182101872356a679ce7fe24747348373_w640.jpg

Russia's sports institutions falsified the anti-doping results of hundreds of Russian athletic competitors

Russian Olympic official: Final decision on ban likely by Sunday

YuliyaStepanova-320x414.jpg

Russian athlete Yuliya Stepanova, the 2014 doping whistleblower
She has since fled the Russian Federation

Timeline of Russian doping scandal

IOC taking soft stance on Russia ban

IOC might need a push to ban Russia from Olympics

Dick Pound fears IOC reluctant to ban entire Russia team from Olympics

Editorial: Ban Russia from the Rio Olympics

If Russia is banned from the Olympics, justice will have been done

"All are bound together by doping. That is why all are silent." ~ Journalists Pavel Kopachev and Alexei Avdokhin of sports.ru

After the McLaren report should Russia still have the World Cup?

Russia is scheduled to host the 2018 World Cup. The Russian Ministry of Sport controls soccer in Russia. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) McLaren report stated: "It was the Russian ministry of sport who 'directed, controlled and oversaw' positive doping samples being tampered with and swapped." In addition, there were numerous charges of bribery and corruption in 2010 regarding the Moscow 2018 World Cup bid with the disgraced Sepp Blatter of FIFA.

CnwQVV1WAAEU6ZS.jpg

Sepp Blatter announces Russia will host the 2018 World Cup in Zurich in December 2010

I say the fix is in, that it was decided months ago to ban them, and to do it at the last minute.

We shall see, that would come out in time.

Sports are way too important.

We did that, we decided.

It's time to stop.

NOW.

:stop:

I say the fix is in, that it was decided months ago to ban them, and to do it at the last minute.
The Russians have had years to come to grips with their massive state-sponsored athletic-doping operations. Moscow chose not to.

As the WADA-McLaren Report of last week says all too clearly, Russia has no intention of truly reforming its corrupt sports-narrative and in fact is still evading anti-doping investigators and testers.

CAS rejects Russia’s appeal against IAAF ban on track and field athletes for Rio Olympics

Russia's appeal for track and field athletes in Rio rejected

July 21, 2016

LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- Russia has lost its appeal against the ban on its track and field athletes from competing in the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. The Court of Arbitration for Sport rejected the appeal by 68 Russian track and field athletes seeking to overturn the ban imposed by the IAAF following allegations of state-sponsored doping and cover-ups. The Russian appeal was heard by a CAS panel on Tuesday.

The ruling by the international Court of Arbitration for Sport means that ALL Russian track and field athletes will remain suspended from international competition.

This ruling is not binding on the International Olympic Committee, but the credibility of the IOC rides on their decision regarding Russia's participation in the Rio Summer Games.

Anti-doping agencies urge IOC to suspend Russian team from Olympics

20 July 2016
The International Olympic Committee received an urgent letter from more than a dozen national anti-doping organisations on Wednesday night urging it to immediately suspend the Russian Olympic Committee and provisionally ban all Russian athletes from the Rio Olympics. The letter, seen by the Guardian and addressed directly to the IOC president, Thomas Bach, warned him that he needed to fulfil his obligation to take the toughest possible sanctions against “institutionalised, government-run doping and abuse of athletes” to ensure the integrity of the Olympic Games.

Despite the fact that Russia engaged in institutionalized government-organised cheating on a wide scale across a whole range of sports, I personally believe the IOC is far too jaded and greedy to allow a victory for integrity.

We shall see, that would come out in time.

Sports are way too important.

We did that, we decided.

It's time to stop.

NOW.

:stop:

The Russians cheated. They're out.

Gorbachev urges IOC to let Russian athletes compete at Rio

Rio Olympics 2016: Ban Russia from Games, says British IOC member

Decision time: IOC poised to rule on Russia's status for Rio

The IOC's ruling 15-member executive board will meet via teleconference to weigh the unprecedented step of excluding Russia as a whole from the games. Time is of the essence, with the games set to open in Rio on Aug. 5.

Russia's crime and punishment

I normally do not subscribe to collective guilt and punishment. However, I do favor banning the entire Russian national Olympic contingent from the Rio Summer Olympics. Why?

Retesting of Olympic and World Championship urine samples shows that Russian doping has been going on since at least 2008. That is an eight year span and in that time-frame many many thousands of Russian athlete's must have either known or suspected that the Russian state was tampering with Russian anti-doping urine samples. Thanks to the efforts and activities of Russian authorities, these athlete's were aware that they were competing dirty and possessed an unlawful and unethical advantage over their competition. Out of all those many many thousands of Russian athlete's, only one spoke up about the operation. Only one Russian lab official spoke up. Both feared for their safety and subsequently fled the Russian Federation. All of the dirty athlete's valued faux medals more than valued collective sports-ethics and individual integrity.

They all cheated together. Now they can all be banned together.

core_package.jpg

IOC President Thomas Bach with Russian President Vladimir Putin at the Sochi Olympics

IOC President Thomas Bach said:
18 JUL 2016

“The findings of the [WADA/McLaren] report show a shocking and unprecedented attack on the integrity of sport and on the Olympic Games. Therefore, the IOC will not hesitate to take the toughest sanctions available against any individual or organisation implicated.”

Mark the words above. IOC President Thomas Bach will convene a meeting tomorrow (07.24.2016) of the 15 member Olympic Executive Board to decide the fate of Russian athlete's vying to compete in the Rio Summer Olympics. Bach now finds himself in a tough spot. Russia is a large financial donor to international athletic organizations, hosted the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, and is an (unlawful) athletic powerhouse with the third largest Olympic athletic contingent. Thus, Bach is exploring avenue's that allow Russians to compete. But that also poses risks. A backlash from anti-doping organizations, athletic organizations, international athlete's, and Olympic sponsors.

What will Bach do? I don't know but I do know this... Bach is also Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Weinig, a Germany company which produces woodworking machinery. Weinig has a strong presence in Russia with a headquarters near Moscow and offices across the country.

No great surprise. Bach kicked the Russian-doping-can-of-worms back to the individual sports federations and the IOC will not issue a ban of the Russian Olympic team.

I hope international athlete's boycott any medal ceremony that involves Russians.

Simpleχity;1066119552 said:
No great surprise. Bach kicked the Russian-doping-can-of-worms back to the individual sports federations and the IOC will not issue a ban of the Russian Olympic team.

Only reasonable solution. WADAs call was political and not logical. There are so many other solutions than the nuclear one. And it was hypocritical as hell considering other countries problems with doping. Enhanced dope testing of suspected nations for example.. not all Russians are dopers, just as not all Americans are.

I hope international athlete's boycott any medal ceremony that involves Russians.

Would you say the same of the American track and field people? They have a convicted doper on their team... or how about the American cycling team? They were deeply involved in doping for over a decade along with the American anti-doping agency..?

I also find it highly hypocritical that we have yet to hear what athletes were doped in the 2012 and 2008 Olympics....why is WADA and Co holding back on the names?

And it was hypocritical as hell considering other countries problems with doping.
Well now Pete, name us one other contemporary doping situation in which the state organized, implemented, and then covered-up the doping of hundreds of its Olympic athlete's.

Simpleχity;1066122120 said:
Well now Pete, name us one other contemporary doping situation in which the state organized, implemented, and then covered-up the doping of hundreds of its Olympic athlete's.

You mean one that was caught or suspected?

Suspected... China, East Germany, Germany, Iran, USA, South Korea, North Korea, Kenya and many others.

And it is irrelevant. You are attacking one nation but ignoring similar practices of other nations.. why?

Why is it you are so dead against Russians going to the Olympics, when the US has a minimum of 2 convicted dopers in the team? Hypocrisy much?

Yes the Russian state may or may not have been part of doping.. I personally have always believed it, but I in no way trust the WADA report as it is politically motivated, not based on an actual investigation into doping in sports. I also believe that all the big sporting nations to one degree or another are doing the same thing. Some are more ethical than others, but come on.. do you really think that Chinese and US athletes are all clean? For China there is so much honour involved, and for the US so much money. But is there any investigation into these nations? Of course not....and that is despite their track record...

The thing about PEDs is that they not only improve the athlete's performance when they are competing, but they also help the athlete train better. So you can pee clean and still get the advantage provided by the PEDs during training, as long as you clean up before the whiz quiz. If IOC was truly serious about PEDs, they'd be requiring that all athletes start being tested 6 months prior to competition and then tested regularly along the way. There is some of this happening, but since it's left up to the member nations to self-enforce, it's pretty much useless.

You mean one that was caught or suspected?

Russia was not merely suspected ... from the 2014 Sochi Games alone the World Anti-Doping Agency discovered over 300 urine samples from Russian athletes that had been switched.

Yes the Russian state may or may not have been part of doping..

You really should do your homework before inserting foot...

Russian Sports Minister Apologizes Over Doping, Pleads For Rio Entry

Why is it you are so dead against Russians going to the Olympics...

J'accuse? You're not going to play that game with me Pete.

Plenty of folks around the world are also frustrated with the IOC and share the same sentiment...

NYT - Who's Really in the Fight Against Doping? It's Clear Once Again

Toronto Sun - Russian doping scandal: IOC had chance to make bold statement and blew it

Newsweek - 'Sad Day for Clean Sport:' Anti-Doping Officials Slam IOC's Russia Ruling

Columbus Dispatch - Commentary: IOC bows to Putin and Russian dopers

Telegraph - International Olympic Committee's dereliction of duty over Russia weakens bond between spectator and spectacle

The Week - Fury over IOC decision not to ban Russia from Rio Olympics

Sydney Morning Herald - The IOC passes the buck on Russia ... and turns Games into a farce

SBS News Australia - Anti-doping groups condemn IOC

The Daily Star - IOC decision a blow to clean athletes: anti-doping officials

Humbolt Journal - IOC president has sports, personal links to Russia

stuff.co/nz - New Zealand anti-doping boss Graeme Steel slams IOC decision as 'black day for clean athletes'

Japan Today - IOC decision to pass the buck on Russia doping ban sparks backlash

Guardian - Greg Rutherford calls IOC decision over Russia team for Rio ‘spineless’

Sports Net - IOC’s ‘half-measure’ on Russian doping leaves great question unanswered

Simpleχity;1066122946 said:
Russia was not merely suspected ... from the 2014 Sochi Games alone the World Anti-Doping Agency discovered over 300 urine samples from Russian athletes that had been switched.

And? Again Lance Armstrong... Russia are suspected because the WADA report is politically motivated. We need an independent report.... Do I believe the Russians might have done something? Sure, would not shock me, but that is history and not much you can do about that other than remove a few medals from people... at least on paper. But if we start doing that, then there are a hell of a lot of medals that need moving through the last 40 years.

You really should do your homework before inserting foot...

I have done plenty of home work. 2 American track and field athletes are convicted dopers.. why are they in the US squad? Why is the US track and field federation and doping agency allowing this?

J'accuse? You're not going to play that game with me Pete.

Plenty of folks around the world are also frustrated with the IOC and share the same sentiment...

Yes plenty of folks from countries that can benefit from a Russian ban..

There is a credibility problem...

There are convicted dopers from other countries at the games, and yet you and your mostly English speaking world wants to ban a whole country, while allowing some of their own law breakers to be at the games... The hypocrisy is ripe here and that is the problem.

As I stated before, we need a system that is equal for everyone, not one that is so selective as it is now. You dope, you get a life time ban. You participate in doping as an organisation, then that organisation is replaced. The solution is simple. All athletes get tested before the games, during the games and after the games by independent testers. Any one caught gets a life time ban. Anyone with a previous ban is banned from future Olympics.

And? Again Lance Armstrong... Russia are suspected because the WADA report is politically motivated. We need an independent report.... Do I believe the Russians might have done something? Sure, would not shock me, but that is history and not much you can do about that other than remove a few medals from people... at least on paper. But if we start doing that, then there are a hell of a lot of medals that need moving through the last 40 years.

I have done plenty of home work. 2 American track and field athletes are convicted dopers.. why are they in the US squad? Why is the US track and field federation and doping agency allowing this?

Yes plenty of folks from countries that can benefit from a Russian ban..

There is a credibility problem...

There are convicted dopers from other countries at the games, and yet you and your mostly English speaking world wants to ban a whole country, while allowing some of their own law breakers to be at the games... The hypocrisy is ripe here and that is the problem.

As I stated before, we need a system that is equal for everyone, not one that is so selective as it is now. You dope, you get a life time ban. You participate in doping as an organisation, then that organisation is replaced. The solution is simple. All athletes get tested before the games, during the games and after the games by independent testers. Any one caught gets a life time ban. Anyone with a previous ban is banned from future Olympics.

The U.S. has a credible anti-doping enforcement mechanism, as do many other countries. Russia's anti-doping enforcement authorities actively impeded enforcement.

Back
Top Bottom