• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Latest Evidence:The Olympics Need to DIE

And? Again Lance Armstrong... Russia are suspected because the WADA report is politically motivated. We need an independent report.... Do I believe the Russians might have done something? Sure, would not shock me, but that is history and not much you can do about that other than remove a few medals from people... at least on paper. But if we start doing that, then there are a hell of a lot of medals that need moving through the last 40 years.
Lol. Of course Pete. WADA is a politically-motivated conspiracy. I suppose that the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF/Track and Field) and the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) are also a part of your global conspiracy against Russia?

Strange then that Vitaly Leontiyevich Mutko (Russia's Minister of Sports) apologized for an imaginary doping conspiracy...

ESPN - Vitaly Mutko apologizes for Russian doping in column

Russian Sports Minister Apologizes Over Doping, Pleads For Rio Entry

There are convicted dopers from other countries at the games, and yet you and your mostly English speaking world wants to ban a whole country, while allowing some of their own law breakers to be at the games... The hypocrisy is ripe here and that is the problem.

These are not my words below Pete. They are IOC president Thomas Bach's words of last week concerning Russian cheating...

Olympic President Thomas Bach said:
19 JUL 2016

“The findings of the [McLaren] report show a shocking and unprecedented attack on the integrity of sports and on the Olympic Games.

Statement of the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee on WADA report

Bold emphasis above added for your benefit Pete.

As I stated before, we need a system that is equal for everyone, not one that is so selective as it is now. You dope, you get a life time ban. You participate in doping as an organisation, then that organisation is replaced. The solution is simple. All athletes get tested before the games, during the games and after the games by independent testers. Any one caught gets a life time ban. Anyone with a previous ban is banned from future Olympics.
What part don't you understand? They WERE tested and retested. They WERE discovered cheating. Cheating was on an 'UNPRECEDENTED' scale. The Russian Sports Minister ADMITTED state cheating. IAAF in 2015 suspended ALL Russian track and field athletes. The McLaren Report recounted how WADA investigators were THREATENED by Russian state security (FSB) personnel and how Russian athletes EVADED retesting. IAAF CONTINUED the Russian suspension through 2016. Russian athletes sued in international court. The Court of Arbitration for Sports in Lausanne, Switzerland last week UPHELD the IAAF ban of all Russian track and field athletes.

I would like to see the Olympic movement die, at least for 50 years. Too nationalistic as this demonstrates. People should be competing as individuals, not a members of some tribal group identity to be punished based on some alleged sins of others who share that same tribal identity. People who cheated should be banned, not people who happen to be from the same country.

We seem to be going backwards as a global culture.

RioSigAlt-hp.png
Rio 2016

Spare the doping state but punish the whistleblower? That’s the IOC way.
COLUMN | Inconsistencies in doping punishments reveal IOC’s warped priorities.

Russian doping scandal 'equivalent to East Germany in the 1980s'

Rio's intriguing subplot: The Russian athlete who didn't cheat

361F465F00000578-3683110-image-a-9_1468150394380.jpg

25-year-old Russian long jumper Darya Klishina will be allowed to compete because she has tested clean for the
IAAF and she trains in a country other than Russia

Whistleblowers accuse IOC committee of ‘trying to buy them off’ with VIP invite

IOC has ‘no interest in clean sport’, says whistleblower

athletics_20160726_russia_yuliya-stepanov-vitaly-stepanov_theolympians.co_620_346_100.jpg

800m runner Yuliya Stepanova and her husband Vitaly Stepanov who worked in Russia's doping lab blew the
whistle on Russia's massive doping operation. The IOC has banned Yuliya from Olympic competition. Both fled
the Russian Federation after receiving threats and being accused of betraying the motherland.

July 16 at 8:50 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-stories-2_russiaolympics939pm:homepage/story

THis is complete bull****. You dont uninvite some country anywhere near this late of a date, especially for something as trivial as doping, which has long been a part of the games. Starting a nuclear war, maybe that would be justification.

What say you?

I say your title is spot on, but I couldn't care less about the doping. The Olympics have become a joke, a corrupt money grab where the athletes and people in the host country come in last. And, the debacle in Brazil next month will prove it to the world.

I say your title is spot on, but I couldn't care less about the doping. The Olympics have become a joke, a corrupt money grab where the athletes and people in the host country come in last. And, the debacle in Brazil next month will prove it to the world.

And this after Sochi, which was pretty embarrassing. I am thinking we use this thread to mock and ridicule the Rio farce....I'm up for it.

Now the Brits are sending dopers to Rio as well.. talk about hypocrisy.

Now the Brits are sending dopers to Rio as well.. talk about hypocrisy.

If they were caught, penalized and now certified then there's no problem. The Brits, unlike the Russians, do not run a state-sponsored doping organization.

If they were caught, penalized and now certified then there's no problem. The Brits, unlike the Russians, do not run a state-sponsored doping organization.

LOL hypocrisy of the west at its best. In the British case, they were caught and freed on a technicality.. funny how other nations who had the exact same issue with their sportsmen/women have banned them regardless.

Why Michael Phelps wasn't the best selection to be the U.S. flag bearer

Every four years, the United States gets to tell a distinctly American story in a very unique way — by selecting a flag bearer for the Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony. This year, the U.S. chose a story that has been told before.

The selection of Michael Phelps, as decided by athlete vote, is certainly a good one. He is the greatest Olympian of all time, not only synonymous with his sport but someone who has lifted swimming in an unprecedented way. The fact that Phelps is so familiar to all audiences is a tribute to how hard he’s worked and how much he’s accomplished. He is a legendary American.

But the choice of flag bearer is an opportunity to say, “This is who we are.” Everyone around the world knows Phelps is who we are. But not everyone knows the stories of some of the other candidates, and why they are so meaningful. Not everyone knows the story of Ibtihaj Muhammad.

Muhammad, raised by a police officer and a teacher, is a fencer who went to Duke, where she got degrees in African and African-American Studies and International Relations. She is also a devout Muslim. She will become the first American Olympian woman to compete in a hijab.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/why-michael-phelps-wasnt-best-000000737.html

The olympics are no longer about excellence in athletic competition, they are about politics and money, which is why they need to die, cause we dont need any more of that.

Last edited:
LOL hypocrisy of the west at its best. In the British case, they were caught and freed on a technicality.. funny how other nations who had the exact same issue with their sportsmen/women have banned them regardless.

And some who were banned have been retested and cleared after serving their bans. We call it justice. As for the Russians, they and they alone created a massive, intricate state organization intended specifically and explicitly to evade anti-doping standards. There is no commonality whatsoever between what the Russians did and what any other country did.

And some who were banned have been retested and cleared after serving their bans. We call it justice. As for the Russians, they and they alone created a massive, intricate state organization intended specifically and explicitly to evade anti-doping standards. There is no commonality whatsoever between what the Russians did and what any other country did.

Doubtful, I figure that Chinese do it too, they are just better at it, and we cant as easily go after the Chinese because they are more powerful than Putin so we pick on the Russians because we hate them because of Ukraine and Syria and.....

With as corrupt as we know the IOC and FIFA are your dog will not hunt.

Doubtful, I figure that Chinese do it too, they are just better at it, and we cant as easily go after the Chinese because they are more powerful than Putin so we pick on the Russians because we hate them because of Ukraine and Syria and.....

With as corrupt as we know the IOC and FIFA are your dog will not hunt.

FIFA had nothing to do with this matter. Come back when you have some evidence. Otherwise I consider your view to be nonsense.

FIFA had nothing to do with this matter. Come back when you have some evidence. Otherwise I consider your view to be nonsense.

Corruption all up and down the sporting world does come into play when someone tries to claim that doping is OMG so BAD....it is only one of many ways sports are now corrupt, so keep it in context.

Also, given the history of Chinese doping regimes, and how the Chinese act in other matters where fairness is considered to be important (Tibet to name one) as smart person has to assume that they are doping:
Athletics world records blow as Wang Junxia 'admits' being part of Chinese state-sponsored doping regime

Corruption all up and down the sporting world does come into play when someone tries to claim that doping is OMG so BAD....it is only one of many ways sports are now corrupt, so keep it in context.

Also, given the history of Chinese doping regimes, and how the Chinese act in other matters where fairness is considered to be important (Tibet to name one) as smart person has to assume that they are doping:
Athletics world records blow as Wang Junxia 'admits' being part of Chinese state-sponsored doping regime

You may assume as you wish. The fact that one murderer may get away with it does create a defense for another murderer who has been caught.

You may assume as you wish. The fact that one murderer may get away with it does create a defense for another murderer who has been caught.

Doping is so common as to maybe be the norm, murder thankfully is not. And there is your problem, crying :soap at one unliked actor for clearly doing what has long been done by others as well, namely doing everything they can do inside and outside the rules to win when everyone else (almost) is doing the same damn thing across different sports, all around the world.

Doping is so common as to maybe be the norm, murder thankfully is not. And there is your problem, crying :soap at one unliked actor for clearly doing what has long been done by others as well, namely doing everything they can do inside and outside the rules to win when everyone else (almost) is doing the same damn thing across different sports, all around the world.

I do not agree that doping is common. I think it's relatively rare, in fact.

Americans get the opening ceremony on one hour delay:

"We think it's important to give the context to the show. This opening ceremony will be a celebration of Brazilian culture, of Rio, of the pageantry, the excitement, of the flare that this beautiful nation has. We think it's important that we're able to put that in context for the viewer so it's not just a flash of color. And so we will air that on a one-hour delay."

When pushed, Lazarus acknowledged that ratings were also (obviously) a central factor in the decision:
"By doing a short tape-delay of one hour, it allows us to put it in a time period when more people are home to watch, because it is a Friday night and they get out of their commute or home from wherever they are. And it allows us to curate it with the narrative and storytelling of our announcers to explain what's going on. And it allows us to put in commercials without cutting out large chunks of the show."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nbc-wont-show-opening-ceremony-162124834.html

I call "BULL****"

This is like when they put a time delay into a show because the guest has a habit of being inappropriate, this is a hedge against a terror event.

AND WE ARE OFF.

I cant watch it legally for 3 more hours.

Not even on the internet.

Cause this is America.

AND WE ARE OFF.

I cant watch it legally for 3 more hours.

Not even on the internet.

Cause this is America.

I'm not even going to bother. I may read about them a bit. But, I have no interest in watching any of it.

I'm not even going to bother. I may read about them a bit. But, I have no interest in watching any of it.

I have not watched a lick in something like a dozen years, but I am considering the opening. Wife is interested, it looks really cool on photos (which are able to be seen, though video is not, because of the way our economic system works, right in this place exactly as it so often does. against the best interest of humans....thanks to our incompetent ELITE.....**** You very much and take a long walk off of a short pier please...)

I am hoping that this thread gets used to mock and otherwise condemn the Olympics.

Both the Rio games in particular and these insanely expensive games in general.

Both the Summer and the Winter extravaganzas.

Because the Olympics NEED TO DIE!

For Reals.

:cowboy:

I am hoping that this thread gets used to mock and otherwise condemn the Olympics.

Both the Rio games in particular and these insanely expensive games in general.

Both the Summer and the Winter extravaganzas.

Because the Olympics NEED TO DIE!

For Reals.

:cowboy:

tell us again exactly why the olympic games should be ended

Back
Top Bottom