• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Last-of-its-kind battleship USS Texas returns to the water after months of work to restore the warship to its former glory

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

220px-USS_Texas_no-blister.jpg

In drydock for renovations

iu

Mighty USS Texas is back in the water after months of much-needed restoration work for the 110-year-old battleship. The warship, which saw action in both world wars before becoming a museum ship, will now undergo further restoration before re-opening up to the public late next year. Video footage from Tuesday morning's event in Galveston, Texas, shows the decommissioned US Navy battleship being refloated and removed from a dry dock. USS Texas had been undergoing restoration at the Gulf Copper Dry Dock & Rig Repair in Galveston since it was moved there for repair work in 2022. Elements of the ship's superstructure were still notably under construction, with The Battleship Texas Foundation confirming on Tuesday that work still needed to be done to replace the wooden deck, restore dozens of spaces inside, and finish re-painting, among other fixes. Its extensive repairs have so far cost more than $21 million. At Tuesday's event, Tony Gregory, president and CEO of the Battleship Texas Foundation, expressed optimism about the work that had been done and what was left to do. "We feel great," he said. "It's been in the dry dock 18 months." Drone footage from Third Coast Drone showed the warship back in the water Tuesday. The goal is to reopen the museum ship to the public by late 2025.

She was turned over to the state of Texas on 21 April 1948 as a permanent museum. I would really love to tour the fully renovated BB-35 (y)

iu

She was turned over to the state of Texas on 21 April 1948 as a permanent museum. I would really love to tour the fully renovated BB-35 (y)
I love those old ships. I've been privileged to tour ships and submarines in several locations across the country, including Pearl Harbor. It's a real treat that I'll not forget.

Wow, that's one of the old ww1 type battleships, I didn't know any still existed.

Wow, that's one of the old ww1 type battleships, I didn't know any still existed.
Yep, launched 1912. IIRC but it launched broadsides of FREEDOM in the Mediterranean landings, Normandy campaign, and Pacific.

I read that!

I did also. The sequels were not as good, but that was an enjoyable read.

So was the Texas-Israeli War: 1999. Although we never did get nuclear powered Centurion tanks with laser gatling cannons.

I have often laughed when those who are significantly younger than me try to read a lot of our sci-fi from the 1970s and early 1980s. They simply can not comprehend what life was like in the era when books like that were written.

New Jersey heads to drydock to be cleaned and repairs made.

Never throw anything away. You never know when you might need it again

Does anyone remember the Manga styled cartoon in the 90s (I think) about the Yamamoto being reconfigured into a space vehicle? Or was that a dream I had?

Never throw anything away. You never know when you might need it again

Does anyone remember the Manga styled cartoon in the 90s (I think) about the Yamamoto being reconfigured into a space vehicle? Or was that a dream I had?

That is "Space Battleship Yamato", and first came out in 1974. Where they raised the old IJN Yamato from WWII to help fight off an alien invasion

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto was a WWII Admiral who led the IGN in the first half of WWII.

That is "Space Battleship Yamato", and first came out in 1974. Where they raised the old IJN Yamato from WWII to help fight off an alien invasion

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto was a WWII Admiral who led the IGN in the first half of WWII.
You're good. Thanks. I remember seeing it later on reruns I guess.

iu

I toured the Texas years ago. I was about 22 I believe. I had seen it on an earlier trip when I was 10 or 11, but we hadn't gone aboard.

I've always had a memory that the outside decks were concrete. I don't know if my memory is faulty on that, if they really were, or if it was some sort of overlay to protect the underlying original.

You're good. Thanks. I remember seeing it later on reruns I guess.

Oh, it has been remade multiple times since 1974. Two sequels in 1978 another in 1979. Three in 1980, then another in 1983. Then a sequel in 1995, and yet more.

Two in 2004 (one was cancelled), 2009, a series of 3 live action remakes, with a forth live action sequel currently in production.

Kinda like Voltron or Mach GoGoGo, it will likely be brought back every couple of years until the end of time.

iu

That would be pretty cool. I have been on the New Jersey, Iowa and the Missouri... but the Texas would be treat because of the two World Wars.

"The term "battleship" was officially adopted by the Royal Navy in the re-classification of 1892. By the 1890s, there was an increasing similarity between battleship designs, and the type that later became known as the 'pre-dreadnought battleship' emerged...."

So the Royal Navy both invented to term "battleship" and built the world's first - as the term became to be re-applied- with the construction of HMS Dreadnought. With the capital ships being relegated to the term "pre-Dreadnought"
Indeed HMS Dreadnought gave its name to an entire ship class, but subsequently they were simply called "battleships"

So the USS Texas belongs to a class of ships known as "battleships"- with the modern designation prefix BB (for "battleship" and not something like DN), and defined by the building of HMS Dreadnought (the first battleship) and HMS Vanguard (the last)

The Royal Navy also coined the term "battle cruiser" with the construction of HMS Invincible and today the class has a designation prefix BC.

"The term "battleship" was officially adopted by the Royal Navy in the re-classification of 1892. By the 1890s, there was an increasing similarity between battleship designs, and the type that later became known as the 'pre-dreadnought battleship' emerged...."

So the Royal Navy both invented to term "battleship" and built the world's first - as the term became to be re-applied- with the construction of HMS Dreadnought. With the capital ships being relegated to the term "pre-Dreadnought"
Indeed HMS Dreadnought gave its name to an entire ship class, but subsequently they were simply called "battleships"

So the USS Texas belongs to a class of ships known as "battleships"- with the modern designation prefix BB (for "battleship" and not something like DN), and defined by the building of HMS Dreadnought (the first battleship) and HMS Vanguard (the last)

The Royal Navy also coined the term "battle cruiser" with the construction of HMS Invincible and today the class has a designation prefix BC.

So, yes. The UK built the first and the last DREADNOUGHT battleships.

HMS Dreadnought (launched 1906) - HMS Vanguard (launched 1944)

The world's first and last battleships.

So, yes. The UK built the first and the last DREADNOUGHT battleships.

And in this, you have a lot of people that simply can not understand what is actually meant. And even more hilariously, they make things up to try and explain what they do not understand.

I read briefly the one you quoted, and was laughing in mirth as I did so. As they obviously have absolutely no idea why or how ships are named and classified as they are.

First of all, the HMS Invincible nor any other British ship has ever had the designation "BC". First of all, that is a uniquely American classification system that the Royal Navy does not use. And I can promise there has never been a ship of the Royal Navy that used BB, BC, or anything even remotely like that. So what we have is somebody trying to assign USN hull classifications to the Royal Navy. A funny fail in and of itself. Do they also reclassify Soviet and Russian aircraft to insert the "A", "F", and "B" of the US?

Secondly, that is a completely fictional hull classification, as the US has never once used the designation "BC" for anything. And it is nonsensical, as anybody that actually knows how the hull classification system works can attest. A Hull classification of "BC" for "Battle Cruiser" is nonsensical, it would be like calling a fictional heavy destroyer a "CD".

Thirdly, the US never really went into "Battlecruisers", instead building "Armored Cruisers". Many like the Alaska Class are considered the pinnacle of Armored/Battle Cruiser design, but they operated as conventional cruisers but simply had more armor. As opposed to actual "Battle Cruisers" which is generally when one puts upsized Battleship guns onto a cruiser. Like the famous German "Pocket Battleships" such as the SMS Mackensen class. A Heavy Cruiser that mounted a gun that was designed to be used on Battleships of the era (14" guns - cruisers of the time normally mounted 12" guns).

I saw that when you quoted back, and it was hard to simply chuckle at the vomit of nonsense and not giggle like a child. That is almost all completely made up, and nonsensical. Especially the part about "modern battleships" being designated as "BB". Uh, all US Battleships were designated as BB, going all the way back to the USS Indiana (BB-1) all the way back in 1891.

Of course, many Naval Historians still debate if the USS Texas of 1886 is even a "Battleship" at all or not. It had 2 guns, each single mounted into two turrets. One facing forward, one facing aft.

BB-TXdrawingSm.jpg

Most I know do not actually classify that as a "battleship", but a heavy ocean Monitor. Not quite a Battleship, but on the way to becoming one. And it had a life of barely over a decade and a half, entering service in 1895, and being pulled from service in 1911 and sunk as a target by the USS New Hampshire (BB-25). If anything, a claim could be made to calling the original USS Texas a B class ship, akin to the C class of the era.

I even wonder if the poster knows why Aircraft Carriers have the designations they have? Or what a hull classification of CZ would have meant? And what actually makes a ship the classification that it has. What is the difference between an Armored Cruiser and a Battle Cruiser? One actually has to know and understand the difference before they try and pass themselves off as any kind of expert on the topic.

Last edited:
And in this, you have a lot of people that simply can not understand what is actually meant. And even more hilariously, they make things up to try and explain what they do not understand.

I read briefly the one you quoted, and was laughing in mirth as I did so. As they obviously have absolutely no idea why or how ships are named and classified as they are.

First of all, the HMS Invincible nor any other British ship has ever had the designation "BC". First of all, that is a uniquely American classification system that the Royal Navy does not use. And I can promise there has never been a ship of the Royal Navy that used BB, BC, or anything even remotely like that. So what we have is somebody trying to assign USN hull classifications to the Royal Navy. A funny fail in and of itself. Do they also reclassify Soviet and Russian aircraft to insert the "A", "F", and "B" of the US?

Secondly, that is a completely fictional hull classification, as the US has never once used the designation "BC" for anything. And it is nonsensical, as anybody that actually knows how the hull classification system works can attest. A Hull classification of "BC" for "Battle Cruiser" is nonsensical, it would be like calling a fictional heavy destroyer a "CD".

Thirdly, the US never really went into "Battlecruisers", instead building "Armored Cruisers". Many like the Alaska Class are considered the pinnacle of Armored/Battle Cruiser design, but they operated as conventional cruisers but simply had more armor. As opposed to actual "Battle Cruisers" which is generally when one puts upsized Battleship guns onto a cruiser. Like the famous German "Pocket Battleships" such as the SMS Mackensen class. A Heavy Cruiser that mounted a gun that was designed to be used on Battleships of the era (14" guns - cruisers of the time normally mounted 12" guns).

I saw that when you quoted back, and it was hard to simply chuckle at the vomit of nonsense and not giggle like a child. That is almost all completely made up, and nonsensical. Especially the part about "modern battleships" being designated as "BB". Uh, all US Battleships were designated as BB, going all the way back to the USS Indiana (BB-1) all the way back in 1891.

Of course, many Naval Historians still debate if the USS Texas of 1886 is even a "Battleship" at all or not. It had 2 guns, each single mounted into two turrets. One facing forward, one facing aft.

BB-TXdrawingSm.jpg

Most I know do not actually classify that as a "battleship", but a heavy ocean Monitor. Not quite a Battleship, but on the way to becoming one. And it had a life of barely over a decade and a half, entering service in 1895, and being pulled from service in 1911 and sunk as a target by the USS New Hampshire (BB-25). If anything, a claim could be made to calling the original USS Texas a B class ship, akin to the C class of the era.

I even wonder if the poster knows why Aircraft Carriers have the designations they have? Or what a hull classification of CZ would have meant? And what actually makes a ship the classification that it has. What is the difference between an Armored Cruiser and a Battle Cruiser? One actually has to know and understand the difference before they try and pass themselves off as any kind of expert on the topic.

When simple nomenclature is a bridge too far for some one wonders why all the electric ink...

In the case of the US, a battlecruiser is designated CC and would have been used for the Lexington class.

While the Alaska class earned CB.

The mythical BC designation is more "making shit up" so common with some posters.

If you ever visit the UK and would like to see a good military museum give Duxford a visit.

I've been a few times and it's a great day out.
It has exibits from WW1 and 2 and has a US air museum filled with amazing US aircraft like the SR72 and B-52.,

Back
Top Bottom