• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

LA DA Gascón drops death penalty for man charged with killing police officer

So you think we should have Saudi Arabia's criminal code then?
That's quite a leap. Why? We have the death penalty. Or, you just don't know the meaning of "an eye for an eye"? I'll tell you. It means a punishment that fits the crime.

That's quite a leap. Why? We have the death penalty. Or, you just don't know the meaning of "an eye for an eye"? I'll tell you. It means a punishment that fits the crime.

An eye for an eye is Hammurabi's code. Thus adultery should be punished by death by drowning, and if a man slaps his father, his hand should be cut off. That is what you are arguing for when you say an eye for an eye.

An eye for an eye is Hammurabi's code. Thus adultery should be punished by death by drowning, and if a man slaps his father, his hand should be cut off. That is what you are arguing for when you say an eye for an eye.
No, that's only one way it's used. More often, it is also used to as a standard for the punishment that fits the crime. In the context of this conversation, it's obvious that that is they way I am using it.

No, that's only one way it's used. More often, it is also used to as a standard for the punishment that fits the crime. In the context of this conversation, it's obvious that that is they way I am using it.
Maybe what's really bothering you is that this is probably the surest sign that the President we have now is an actual Christian man of faith and not some lying, manipulative, ***** grabbing, cop murdering, hatred sowing demagogue like we had before

Don’t you just love how these right wing evangelical right to lifers harbor such rabid bloodlust.
Supporting a killer who killed his cousin and a police officer? Not a good look!
He also shot a 2nd officer who survived the gun shot wound.

This lunatic DA does not give a whit about the victims of violent crimes.

Maybe what's really bothering you is that this is probably the surest sign that the President we have now is an actual Christian man of faith and not some lying, manipulative, ***** grabbing, cop murdering, hatred sowing demagogue like we had before
Here we go again one more post full of president Trump hate. Just seething.......
And nothing to do with this thread. o_O;)

Supporting a killer who killed his cousin and a police officer? Not a good look!
He also shot a 2nd officer who survived the gun shot wound.

This lunatic DA does not give a whit about the victims of violent crimes.
Being a purposefully illiterate Machiavellian poster is not a good look either, but it's pretty much the only one you have. Expressing my moral opposition to the state engaging in execution is not in any way, shape, or form equate to being an expression of support for those who engage in violent crime against anyone, much less a police officer. My position is that anyone who commits or facilitates the commission of such crimes should be brought to justice. Hopefully Officer Brian Sicknick's family will eventually get the justice they are due when all of those responsible for his death are brought before a court of law.

LA DA Gascón drops death penalty for man charged with killing police officer

Los Angeles District Attorney (DA) George Gascón said Friday he will not seek the death penalty for an admitted gang member who killed a police officer and his own cousin.
Michael Christopher Mejia, 30, is awaiting trial on charges stemming from Feb. 20, 2017.
One of Mejia’s victims was officer Keith Boyer, 53, who was responding to a report of a traffic collision in which Mejia had been involved.

Mejia shot Boyer and another officer, Patrick Hazell, while trying to flee the scene of the crash. Hazell survived a shot to the abdomen.
Deputy District Attorney Garrett Dameron said during a hearing at Norwalk Courthouse that he had been ordered to remove the death penalty consideration, despite his own objection and that of Deputy DA Geoff Lewis, FOX LA reported.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/la-distr...th-penalty-man-charged-killing-police-officer

This DA is an absolute disaster.

A Democratic DA ignoring law and replacing it with his personal laws on behalf of murderers? Nothing surprising about that.

The standard that the punishment fits the crime is subjective. For some, life in prison without the possibility of parole is a punishment that fits that crime, for it's the death penalty. In either case, its subjective.

LOL, sure. No, I’m pretty sure that is not the case. It’s just as I’ve stated. The DA is of very poor quality. The question is, why is he doing things that put people in danger?

The standard that the punishment fits the crime is subjective. For some, life in prison without the possibility of parole is a punishment that fits that crime, for it's the death penalty. In either case, its subjective.
I would guess that they have guidelines for applying the death penalty. One would wonder that if this case doesn’t qualify, what would?

LOL, sure. No, I’m pretty sure that is not the case. It’s just as I’ve stated. The DA is of very poor quality. The question is, why is he doing things that put people in danger?
I'm pretty sure that is the case. In the final waning weeks of Trump's term in office Mr Pretend evangelical went on a hell bent blood lust spree to execute as many people on death row as possible. Evidently that is not going to be the policy of a true man of faith, Mr Biden. Just what is it exactly that makes DA Gascon of very poor quality? That he is Cuban borne? How is he putting people in danger if he wants to keep this man in custody for the remainder of his life rather than executing him? Do you really think that people like the man that killed this officer stopped to think that they might get the death penalty before they did what they did? There is no evidence whatsoever that the death penalty has any unique deterrent effect on crime. What is unique about it is that people who have not committed the crime they were accused of and convicted of and sentenced to death for, have often been later exonerated.

Back
Top Bottom