• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

LA DA Gascón drops death penalty for man charged with killing police officer

Anthony60

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Los Angeles District Attorney (DA) George Gascón said Friday he will not seek the death penalty for an admitted gang member who killed a police officer and his own cousin.
Michael Christopher Mejia, 30, is awaiting trial on charges stemming from Feb. 20, 2017.
One of Mejia’s victims was officer Keith Boyer, 53, who was responding to a report of a traffic collision in which Mejia had been involved.

Mejia shot Boyer and another officer, Patrick Hazell, while trying to flee the scene of the crash. Hazell survived a shot to the abdomen.
Deputy District Attorney Garrett Dameron said during a hearing at Norwalk Courthouse that he had been ordered to remove the death penalty consideration, despite his own objection and that of Deputy DA Geoff Lewis, FOX LA reported.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/la-distr...th-penalty-man-charged-killing-police-officer

This DA is an absolute disaster.

I'm surprised CA has the death penalty. Looks like not for long.
I guess they administer it according to the personal preference of the DA, not the crime committed. If there's a high bar to get the death penalty, this guy was way over it.

Los Angeles District Attorney (DA) George Gascón said Friday he will not seek the death penalty for an admitted gang member who killed a police officer and his own cousin.
Michael Christopher Mejia, 30, is awaiting trial on charges stemming from Feb. 20, 2017.
One of Mejia’s victims was officer Keith Boyer, 53, who was responding to a report of a traffic collision in which Mejia had been involved.

Mejia shot Boyer and another officer, Patrick Hazell, while trying to flee the scene of the crash. Hazell survived a shot to the abdomen.
Deputy District Attorney Garrett Dameron said during a hearing at Norwalk Courthouse that he had been ordered to remove the death penalty consideration, despite his own objection and that of Deputy DA Geoff Lewis, FOX LA reported.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/la-distr...th-penalty-man-charged-killing-police-officer

Great news, nobody should be killed by the state.

I guess they administer it according to the personal preference of the DA, not the crime committed. If there's a high bar to get the death penalty, this guy was way over it.

Here's how it is:

Some people look at this and they are bewildered. They're confused, they're angry and they're ignorant. They conclude people have lost their minds and entered into a grand conspiracy against them.

Others see changing policy.

You know what's worse than people killing people? Governments killing people.

One of the campaign platforms of recently elected Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón was a pledge to no longer pursue the death penalty and he would end the charging of juveniles as adults..

In the November 6 election, Gascón defeated incumbent Jackie Lacey 53.7% to 46.3%.

Let's face it. The OP is not about a discussion of policy or current events in CA or even why this happened. The OP is a call for bloodlust. The thread is supposed to be raving neanderthals calling for the prisoner's death and hoping he'll be raped and all of that sordid caveman crap. That's what the OP wants.

You can pretend the OP wants a discussion of policy and current events.

You know what's worse than people killing people? Governments killing people.
So, you think that the government putting this man to death would be worse than his actions of killing two innocent people? I can't agree with that.

So, you think that the government putting this man to death would be worse than his actions of killing two innocent people? I can't agree with that.
Three wrongs don't make a right.

This guy is a criminal coddling sack of shit.

Here comes the rage.

Lol. There wasn't half this outrage at the people who killed the DC cop. Just excuses, the election was stolen, Nancy is bad, they're traitors, whatever.

Cop gets killed in Cali, and suddenly we all need to be prodeath penalty, and snowflakes if we arent. The fear of replacement is real in the GOP. They're still using 90s tricks.

Maybe they'll work with Hillary and make a super predator video part II, with videos of BLM riots.

Who knows.

One of the campaign platforms of recently elected Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón was a pledge to no longer pursue the death penalty and he would end the charging of juveniles as adults..

In the November 6 election, Gascón defeated incumbent Jackie Lacey 53.7% to 46.3%.

Doesn't mean the election outcome was right but stupid leftist enters my mind.

Do you think that death is worse than life in a maximum security prison?

I am guessing that you would refuse to serve in time of war. Is that correct? Government wars do kill people.
Good guess.

I feel the same way about this asshole murderer. However, if it wasn’t premeditated you don’t get charged with the death penalty. It doesn’t matter who the da is, and it doesn’t matter what political party it is.

I feel the same way about this asshole murderer. However, if it wasn’t premeditated you don’t get charged with the death penalty. It doesn’t matter who the da is, and it doesn’t matter what political party it is.
This is just another radical, anti law and order and pro criminal action. I believe he is also not allowing any of his people to attend parole hearings, so more of these criminals will be released to hurt innocent people. I just don't get the mindset.

Lol. There wasn't half this outrage at the people who killed the DC cop. Just excuses, the election was stolen, Nancy is bad, they're traitors, whatever.

Cop gets killed in Cali, and suddenly we all need to be prodeath penalty, and snowflakes if we arent. The fear of replacement is real in the GOP. They're still using 90s tricks.

Maybe they'll work with Hillary and make a super predator video part II, with videos of BLM riots.

Who knows.
Don’t you just love how these right wing evangelical right to lifers harbor such rabid bloodlust.

Back
Top Bottom