• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ketanji Brown Jackson getting the respect that Amy Coney Barrett was denied

The famous "gonzo journalist" Hunter S. Thompson once said, "Politics is the art of controlling your environment." The confirmation hearing of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson is about to vividly show what Thompson meant. Less than two years after the abusive treatment of Justice Amy Coney Barrett, the Senate is holding a hearing that is dramatically different in the treatment of the Supreme Court nominee and the issues considered relevant to her confirmation.

For those with memories going back to 2020, there have been striking differences in how the news media haved covered Jackson's nomination in recent weeks. When Barrett was nominated, the media ran unrelenting attacks on her and her background. Nothing was viewed as out of bounds, from her religion to her personal life to fabricated theories of prior assurances on pending cases.

From the start of the Jackson hearing, this is clearly different in both optics and approaches. Barrett was surrounded by pictures of people relying on the Affordable Care Act, a framing to portray Barrett as threatening the very lives of sick people. It was all part of an absurd claim (fostered by liberal legal experts) that Barrett was appointed to kill the ACA.

I objected at the time that senators wereradically misconstruing the pending case and that Barrett was more likely to vote to preserve the ACA. (Barrett ultimately voted to preserve the act, as expected.)

———————

Very apt comparison between the Barrett and Jackson hearings.
That's laughable. In fact, I'm laughing right now.

Well let’s see..which is more egregious..raping children and uploading your recorded ravishings to the internet and having the judge apologize to you for sending you to jail or a light sentence for walking around the Capitol. Ooo that’s hard. 😒
So you find attacking our capital and trying to overturn our government should just get a slap on the hand, REALLY. And all of those people got jail sentences. Since you do not really know what they did, you are what we call whistling in the wind. And I will point to a Florida GOP house member who had sex with under aged women, at least one we know and paid for it. I do not hear anyone from the GOP complaining about him running around the country making speeches.

Not sure how one could characterize Graham’s unhinged screeds as “respectful.”
I think Hawley and Graham are desperately trying to evoke the type of outburst that Kavanaugh will forever be known for.

So you find attacking our capital and trying to overturn our government should just get a slap on the hand, REALLY. And all of those people got jail sentences. Since you do not really know what they did, you are what we call whistling in the wind. And I will point to a Florida GOP house member who had sex with under aged women, at least one we know and paid for it. I do not hear anyone from the GOP complaining about him running around the country making speeches.
What they did is public record. You’re in here defending a judge apologizing to the defendant for sending him to jail for three months because he raped multiple children and posted videos of it on the internet. Sickening.

C.mon, man!

We aren't children.

Of course, Judge Jackson is receiving respect.

She had better.

In 2022, every Republican Senator knows how far to go and then to stop.

The famous "gonzo journalist" Hunter S. Thompson once said, "Politics is the art of controlling your environment." The confirmation hearing of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson is about to vividly show what Thompson meant. Less than two years after the abusive treatment of Justice Amy Coney Barrett, the Senate is holding a hearing that is dramatically different in the treatment of the Supreme Court nominee and the issues considered relevant to her confirmation.

For those with memories going back to 2020, there have been striking differences in how the news media haved covered Jackson's nomination in recent weeks. When Barrett was nominated, the media ran unrelenting attacks on her and her background. Nothing was viewed as out of bounds, from her religion to her personal life to fabricated theories of prior assurances on pending cases.

From the start of the Jackson hearing, this is clearly different in both optics and approaches. Barrett was surrounded by pictures of people relying on the Affordable Care Act, a framing to portray Barrett as threatening the very lives of sick people. It was all part of an absurd claim (fostered by liberal legal experts) that Barrett was appointed to kill the ACA.

I objected at the time that senators wereradically misconstruing the pending case and that Barrett was more likely to vote to preserve the ACA. (Barrett ultimately voted to preserve the act, as expected.)

———————

I'm just gonna leave this here...

1648077237591.png

———————

You are presuming ACB deserves such respect. She’s only there because she’s a patsy

———————

I take it you did not watch the Ketanji Brown Jackson hearings, else you cannot possible posit that the Republican side of the hearing panel was "respectful" to her.

I do notice that this is about the third "Oh how respectful the Senators are being of Jackson"...a sure sign of a bunch of propaganda BULLSHIT.

Republicans can **** off with these moronic projections. All they ****ing do is project. Amy Barret is a Christian taliban nutjob with very minimal experience and who was actually selected by dark money because her nutjob views on guns, abortion, discrimination, just like Kavanaugh picked not for his judicial experience btu becuase he would be a right wing hack.
Progressives can **** off with their moronic projections too.

Jackson is nothing but a radical white male progressive hiding behind a cosmetic mask. The only diversity Jackson represents is purely superficial. She is nothing but a sell out and a slave to her masters.

See how easy it is do what you did.

Biden has punked the Republicans yet again.

He nominated a massively qualified person who is calm and professional and who gives republicans little ammo.

Like Thomas, kavanaugh, etc, she’s not there to have her own opinions but to enact the will of the federalist society to remake the country in their image.

I take it you did not watch the Ketanji Brown Jackson hearings, else you cannot possible posit that the Republican side of the hearing panel was "respectful" to her.

I do notice that this is about the third "Oh how respectful the Senators are being of Jackson"...a sure sign of a bunch of propaganda BULLSHIT.
Compared to previous confirmation hearings for justices nominated by Republicans? Yes, it’s a fair comparison.

Like Thomas, kavanaugh, etc, she’s not there to have her own opinions but to enact the will of the federalist society to remake the country in their image.
What is their image that you’re so concerned about?

Is making Brown out to be a protector of criminals when she is not really respectful?
How is asking questions regarding her decisions as a judge being disrespectful? Isn't that the whole point of this vetting process?

You are presuming ACB deserves such respect. She’s only there because she’s a patsy
Wow, Your stock just went down 25 points.

Wow, Your stock just went down 25 points.
I am not motivated by the opinions of people on this forum. I tell the truth as I see it.

Back
Top Bottom