• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Kasich and Cruz: Lets make a deal

I am hoping that all of the players put on their big boy pants and make some magnanimous decisions for the good of the country. Too much to expect?

How about the people of the party decide. That would be much better.

You can always tell who the liberals are most concerned about when they start rooting for that person in the GOP nominating process. I don't particularly like listening to Ted Cruz speak, but he would clean up on the Hillary screech and giggle in a debate.

Get him in there. Show that you guys have the guts. And, like you say...it will be a runaway for your side! ;)

No effin way would I support any ticket with Cruz on it.

That man scares me like the character of the President in "Escape from Los Angeles."

Oh FFS, if you are less scared of Trump, Kasich, Clinton, or Sandahs, the problem is you. ;)

RealClearPolitics polls indicate that Kasich would beat Clinton by 4-12 points in a general election. Trump or Cruz would lose to her (in which case she may be our only President to have to wear an ankle bracelet for the duration of her term). Granted, Sanders numbers suggest he would beat any of the GOP candidates but it is unlikely that the Dem side is going to a contested convention.

RealClearPolitics - 2016 Presidential Race

I am leaning Trump, but I am heavily in the "anybody but Clinton" (or Sanders) camp.

I think this scenario makes some sense:

If in the very likely event that the GOP goes to a contested convention and goes beyond the first round of voting, Kasich and Cruz should make a deal. Kasich would get the nod to run for President and Cruz would be the Vice Presidential nominee. Kasich, being older (and I don't get the feeling that his ego demands living in the white house for 8 years) would agree that if his popularity in 4 years amongst voting Republicans is not above 80% (or pick a number) or his popularity with all voters is not above 55% (pick a number) then he would agree not to run for reelection.

This would have several benefits:

Kasich has a better chance of beating the Dem nominee
Kasich/Cruz would likely get the support of Rubio and his large block of pledged delegates
Kasich has had executive office experience and is reasonably popular in the state he has served for many years
Cruz is the VP for 4 years and gets some needed name recognition
Cruz buys some time to allow people to forget about that whole shutting down the government thing (like that was a bad thing!?)
Cruz as VP nominee gets many of the far right on board with this election and Kasich brings in the moderates and establishment Republicans
Cruz brings in a large block of voters in the South
Kasich brings in the Midwest
Kasich has some added motivation to be President of all the people (unlike the current failure in the White House)
If Kasich fails in keeping his popularity up, then Cruz has the upper hand in 2020 as the GOP nominee
Kasich has been thoroughly vetted in two elections as Governor of Ohio

I am sure there are other positives as well as negatives to this scenario. What do the folks at DP think?

I am flabbergasted that someone who claims to be very conservative would put a RINO like Kasich on the top of that ticket. How about the one with the most delegates?

Cruz won't be VP because he brings nothing to the table.

What a weird deal that would be. Cruz and Kasich belong to different conservative camps, even if they share many conservative values. While Kasich's interest in governance conditions him to compromise and engage in bipartisan politics, Cruz's unhinged conservatism conditions him to see the country burn to the ground before conceding to a democrat. Furthermore, the two would have no chemistry. Kasich's modus operandi is to promote partnerships that retain a degree of autonomy. Cruz, however, is more of a master-and-slave personality; he either gains mastery over another or becomes his sycophant while continuing to scheme against him. The two personalities are destined to dysfunction.

More importantly, what merit does such an alliance have in light of the republican primaries? A deal that excludes Trump will at best be a self-indulgence doomed to be ineffectual. Worst case scenario is that it works, irrevocably alienating a large portion of the republican base and precipitating the party's disintegration. The GOP can continue to loiter around and fumble for a magic bullet for a little longer before it'll have to come around to face reality and sit down to the negotiation table with Trump, it's actual frontrunner.

At some point there will have to be a compromise. I think the convention will be fascinating, but I hate to see it get ugly to the point where the GOP is permanently tarnished (more) and we elect the Dem by default.

If the nomination is given to someone who did not get the most primary votes it will get ugly and the nomination will be handed over to Clinton. A Clinton victory because the GOP decided to **** voters by propping up someone who did not get the most votes will tarnish the GOP more than Clinton winning because Trump or Cruz won the nomination

True. No one thought Trump would get as far as he has. I think the "anybody but Trump" crowd may come around when that "anybody" is Clinton.
A lot of people will and a lot of people won't.. A lot of voters are not party first values second. Liberal republicans voters who are not die hard party-tards are not going to vote for Cruz and a lot of conservative republican voters who are not die hard party-tards are not going o vote for Trump or Kasich.

I believe Frank Underwood has missed the filing deadlines.

I haven't seen any episodes of the fifth season (don't spoil it for me if you have), but I'm fairly certain FU will win the 2016 election. ;)

And Kasich is a Centrist. Cruz is an unapologetic right-winger. The two don't go together in any scenario.

Kasich isn't anywhere CLOSE to being a Centrist. He may not be as wacko right-wing as Cruz...but he is pretty right-wing when you look at his stand on the issues.

Back
Top Bottom