• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kamala Harris holds first rally as 2020 presidential candidate

I don't think Warren would run as VP. She knows she could do more as a senator than a VP.

Yeah, well, we're basically creating our fantasy team here. A Harris/Warren or Harris/Sanders ticket would be epic.

I would include O'Rourke but I have no clue what he intends to do. If he believes he's a serious candidate then personally I think he's dragging his feet.

To you and me, maybe, but there's a groundswell of idiots out there who listen to them. Unfortunately. They did in 2016.

I'm not committed yet, but so far Klobuchar has impressed me.

But today I thought of a Harris-Warren ticket. Now that would be interesting.

You're never going to have a candidate that won't receive exactly the treatment you're seeing trump supporters give Harris in this thread, and idiots will listen to them. There are just three things you need to keep in mind:

1. The opinions of Republicans don't matter. They have no moral currency.
2. Support your favorite Democratic candidate without attacking other Democratic candidates.
3. Fully support whoever wins the Democratic primary.

That is a remarkably candid window into your mind.

No it’s just stating the obvious about the identity politics the democrats have been playing for the past decade

No it’s just stating the obvious about the identity politics the democrats have been playing for the past decade

This was your post in a nutshell: "The people of color are coming! Hide the children! Hide the silverware!"

Hyperbole much?

Out of nowhere Crovax said her slogan should be, “For the people... of color," indicating that Crovax saw her as appealing to a group of demographics that did not include his own. Which is certainly an odd conclusion to arrive at. I'm white and I don't get the slightest signal that my whiteness is any bar to her representing my interests. But that's where Crovax's mind went.

Crovax may as well have said, "Jews will not replace us."

No, it's not obvious to any rational adult who's not privy to the machinations of your imagination.

If she stays away from identity politics and encourages the rest of her party to, she may have a shot. And the latest Willie Brown news doesn't help.
Yes that Willie Brown stuff was interesting.
The jr. senator's short voting record in the Senate will not be pleasing to many Independents nor was her disgusting behavior during the Kavanaugh hearings. But the far left will just love her. Free healthcare, free college, free, free, free free free. She's one of several that will enter the race but her message isn't much different than the rest of the lefties that have already thrown their hats into the ring. The only thing she has going for her is identity politics as she is black and a woman. Other then that they all sound the same.. They are claiming there will be so many candidates that it would be impossible for them to debate in one setting. If someone is going to emerge as the front runner, they will have to bite the heads off of their competitors who sound just like them. Should be a real clown show.

You're projecting. The only one engaging in "identity politics" is Trump every time he vilifies minorities and Muslims to a crowd almost exclusively of white people.

And to hear a Trump supporter referring to the possibility of an extramarital affair as a campaign killer in the age of Trump is pure comedy.

Apparently you do not realize what is going on in the democrat party. Identity politics is the rage, the alpha and omega of the party. It is all encompassing, it is everything, the sooner you wake up to that fact the sooner you will realize that the democrat party became a dung beetle and jumped into a suicidal slop.

Anyway, back on topic.

Here's Kamala Harris on the issues.

Kamala Harris on the Issues

Her stat sheet is lacking in consumer protections and the web page doesn't have anything on her for corporations, so in my opinion a ticket with Warren or Sanders would fill in the remaining gaps.
I see the logic here, but I think Bernie is too old to VP. That means he'll be what? 87, in 2028? No way he could realistically vie to pick-up her mantle after her terms are up.

As to Warren, her policies are pretty decent but she just comes-off badly in extemporaneous public speaking. I get Hillary vibes from her, and that's not good.

Harris might do well with somebody like Doug Jones. He could be her LBJ, and bring along the South. He wants to run himself, and he probably is doubtful to keep his senate seat, though I'm not sure. Though at 64, he'll be 73 in 2028, which is getting on the edge of too old then, but maybe not. Trump did it, at 72. He'll have to pick a younger running-mate.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Harris-Jones ticket (at this point in time).

Apparently you do not realize what is going on in the democrat party. Identity politics is the rage, the alpha and omega of the party. It is all encompassing, it is everything, the sooner you wake up to that fact the sooner you will realize that the democrat party became a dung beetle and jumped into a suicidal slop.

What's "happening" in the Democratic party is they're not in the process of ejecting every demographic but white Christians from their ranks, which is precisely what the Republican Party is in the process of doing. So if you want to know what "identity politics" is, look in a mirror.

I'm tossing this video here in this forum, simply as a departure point for discussion. But I think her speech is pretty good and worth watching, if you're interested. (speech starts at approx 1:05:00)

I've followed Kamala since mid last year, and did a bit of mild research on her over the months. I liked what I saw then, and now after watching her first speech live, contained in the video above, I really like what I saw today.

She has a compelling story. She was born of Indian and Jamaican immigrant parents, who both became educated professionals and succeeded in staking their place in this great American dream of ours. She is a lifetime prosecutor, yet seems to show reasonable benevolence to finding societal solutions to crime besides simply locking citizens up. She also has a fairly strong leaning to social-democracy with her platform of Medicaid for all, along with subsidized higher education.

She pushes "truth" and "unity", which is quite refreshing and in stark contrast to the present administration. She believes as Americans we have more in common, than what tears us apart. She seems to be promoting an "upbeat", rather than "anger" campaign. And she wants to promote science.

I like her "For the People" slogan, referring to her being a life-long prosecutor, and even her campaign sign's lettering is both blue & red. I really like the blue & red bit

Right now, I like what I see - a lot. She checks a lot of my boxes. She also reminds me a lot of Obama, to be honest. And that's a good thing (IMO). Time will tell.

So, anyone have any thoughts on her?

I don't want to pick on her exclusively. I listened to her speech. It was full of pap. Nothing of substance. Political speeches hardly ever are anymore. Here are some key phrases which any candidate can use for any campaign because they mean nothing of substance:

I am working for you.
I am for education.
I have fought for women's rights.
I have opposed racism.
I have a record of being a friend of the oppressed.
It's about you.
It's time for a change.
The choice is clear.
I will take action.
I will put students first.
I am for a strong military.
I offer common sense solutions.
I am working for a better tomorrow.
I have demonstrated the ability to make hard choices.
I will protect your tax dollars.
I will bring a fresh voice to government.
I will be a voice for a better tomorrow.
It is time for progress.
Count on me to provide new leadership.
I have a history of respectable public service.
I have the experience needed to get the job done.
I will reform the justice system.
I will get things done.
I am the right choice at the right time.
I will bring courage and leadership to the table as I fight for you.
I will protect the values of all Americans.
I get results.
I take action when action is what is needed.
Let's do this together.

And thousands of other meaningless worn out political crap sayings.

I think a slogan that better fits her views is “For the people... of color”

I do hope she’s the nominee because her experience will be easy to attack. She’s going to get it from both sides because she’s so old. She was there when Democrats were tough on crime so she will get attacked from the left and she evolved with the current democrats which are soft on crime and she will be attacked from the right.
See, what you see as a weakness I see as a positive. I think she will pull-in the Indies, and especially those moderate Dem suburban congressional districts that went for Trump in 2016, like the Dem districts that went Reagen Democrats in 1980.

Her social-democrat stance of Medicaid for all, and subsidized college, will probably be all it takes to get the Bernie Babies on-board come election day. Well that, and their hatred of Trump.

I don't want to pick on her exclusively. I listened to her speech. It was full of pap. Nothing of substance. Political speeches hardly ever are anymore. Here are some key phrases which any candidate can use for any campaign because they mean nothing of substance:

I am working for you.
I am for education.
I have fought for women's rights.
I have opposed racism.
I have a record of being a friend of the oppressed.
It's about you.
It's time for a change.
The choice is clear.
I will take action.
I will put students first.
I am for a strong military.
I offer common sense solutions.
I am working for a better tomorrow.
I have demonstrated the ability to make hard choices.
I will protect your tax dollars.
I will bring a fresh voice to government.
I will be a voice for a better tomorrow.
It is time for progress.
Count on me to provide new leadership.
I have a history of respectable public service.
I have the experience needed to get the job done.
I will reform the justice system.
I will get things done.
I am the right choice at the right time.
I will bring courage and leadership to the table as I fight for you.
I will protect the values of all Americans.
I get results.
I take action when action is what is needed.
Let's do this together.

And thousands of other meaningless worn out political crap sayings.
I see what you're saying, but that list is an optimistic "good feelings" list, and quite frankly it's exactly what Obama ran on and it served him well. In fact, Kamala reminds me a fair amount of Obama.

In general, Americans are an optimistic people and like optimistic messages. In addition, we tend to yo-yo with our Presidential choices; we swing the pendulum to & fro in terms of Presidential temperament and also in party. It's for these reasons, after four years of Trump's doom & gloom and fight & destroy, that I think the country will be looking for a message more like Harris' (& Obama's).

I see what you're saying, but that list is an optimistic "good feelings" list, and quite frankly it's exactly what Obama ran on and it served him well. In fact, Kamala reminds me a fair amount of Obama.

In general, Americans are an optimistic people and like optimistic messages. In addition, we tend to yo-yo with our Presidential choices; we swing the pendulum to & fro in terms of Presidential temperament and also in party. It's for these reasons, after four years of Trump's doom & gloom and fight & destroy, that I think the country will be looking for a message more like Harris' (& Obama's).

Democrat leaders may be right. Americans may be stupid. So just spew stupid empty rhetoric sound bites at them and they will eat it up with awe as though you are a great statesman genius.

tenor.gif

Maybe you shouldn't have brought it up, because you clearly didn't know what the hell you were talking about.

Yeah, it's easy to dismiss "feel-good" messages until you listen to a candidate spout nativist and pessimistic messages of doom. Then it's like, "Oh, I guess the feel-good speeches really weren't the worst thing in the world after all."

Besides, it's kind of silly to claim you don't know how a speech tells you anything about the candidate when he or she is experienced and has a voting record you can examine for yourself.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/120012/kamala-harris

Yeah, it's easy to dismiss "feel-good" messages until you listen to a candidate spout nativist and pessimistic messages of doom. Then it's like, "Oh, I guess the feel-good speeches really weren't the worst thing in the world after all."

Besides, it's kind of silly to claim you don't know how a speech tells you anything about the candidate when he or she is experienced and has a voting record you can examine for yourself.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/120012/kamala-harris
I'm a firm subscriber to the "swinging pendulum" theory of presidential elections. We elect new presidents that are pendulumatically different than their predecessors. Now I don't know if "pendulmatically" is a legit word or not, 'cuz I just made it up now on the spot. But I think you know what I mean. We swing from Dem to Repub, to back again. And from liberal, to conservative, and back again. It always happens.

It's for the reason above, that I believe a message like Kamala's will be music to many American's ears, as it was with Obama coming out of the Cheney driven Republican White House.

The time for pretty speeches is over.

We tried pretty speeches and compromise, and what did it get us? Stacked courts, tariff wars, immigrant children separated from their parents, government ransom games, peoples healthcare being threatened, reproductive rights being attacked, and on and on it's gone.

The Republican party and its voting base have decided they will obey no rules, no norms, will used scorched earth tactics to get their way, and will even nominate crazy people just to get under our skin - even if they lose their healthcare.

What we learned over the past month is that the only thing political thugs understand is a proverbial black eye.

I want to see a Democrat that outright calls Trump crazy, insane, immoral, and a disgrace, and promises to undue every single thing he's done.

The time for pretty speeches is over.

We tried pretty speeches and compromise, and what did it get us? Stacked courts, tariff wars, immigrant children separated from their parents, government ransom games, peoples healthcare being threatened, reproductive rights being attacked, and on and on it's gone.

The Republican party and its voting base have decided they will obey no rules, no norms, will used scorched earth tactics to get their way, and will even nominate crazy people just to get under our skin - even if they lose their healthcare.

What we learned over the past month is that the only thing political thugs understand is a proverbial black eye.

I want to see a Democrat that outright calls Trump crazy, insane, immoral, and a disgrace, and promises to undue every single thing he's done.
Yeah, that's fine. But you've got to paint a "good" picture to go to, after you verbalize the bad that's occurred.

Please consider my "pendulum" theory, from my post #45, above:

DP

I think the country will welcome a unity contrast. I really do.

Let's see:

She ****ed her way up.

She harbored a sex offender.

She's a gun grabber.

She's named after a professional wrestler.

And we're still early into this.

she flunked the bar the first time she took it

she's an intellectual lightweight

Yeah, that's fine. But you've got to paint a "good" picture to go to, after you verbalize the bad that's occurred.

Please consider my "pendulum" theory, from my post #45, above:

DP

I think the country will welcome a unity contrast. I really do.
Unity is a pipedream for awhile, sorry to say.

Yes, the country swings back and forth because we don't like one party to rule for too long. Still, when one party flushes the rule book of proper political discourse, there have to be consequences, or else they'll only keep going lower.

I mean, Pelosi cancelling the SOTU was awesome, right? We need more that. In fact, I'd like to see Pelosi say " Mr President, if you shutdown the government again or declare a national emergency, you can forget about ever doing a SOTU here."

Not standing up to McConnell, Boehner, and Trump a long time ago is why they keep going lower. They've learned that they get their way by being bullies. This last shutdown was hard on them precisely because they did have to pay a price, and they were put in timeout before the entire public.

I want unity as bad as you do, but first the adults have to lay down the law and mean it.

I don't think Warren would run as VP. She knows she could do more as a senator than a VP.

That's what a friend of mine who lives in Massachusetts said, also. I still think that'd be a good ticket, though.

Back
Top Bottom